50 Los Patos Way
Santa Barbara, CA 93108Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.stellamares.com/
- Phone: 8059696705
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: Roth Ironside
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Stella Mare’s Restaurant is host to rehearsal dinners, wedding receptions, anniversaries, birthdays, and holiday celebrations, as well as corporate luncheons and dinners. We accommodate private parties of 10 to 50 guests at the Restaurant and from 40 to 300 guests at our Events by Stella Mare’s private restaurant, as well as off-site catering.
- Private Party Facilities: The Private Dining Room An intimate room filled with unique artwork and antiques with windows overlooking the historic bird refuge. Minimum for reservation: 8 Maximum capacity: 14 The Ocean Room and Terrace A beautiful, private room opening onto an outdoor terrace, perfect for socializing with friends during a cocktail hour. Minimum for exclusive reservation: 20 Maximum capacity: 30 The Greenhouse This spectacular glass enclosed room creates the perfect romantic ambiance for any event with its custom built bar, fireplace, cozy couches, and views of the bird refuge. Minimum for exclusive reservation: 30 Maximum capacity: 50
- Private Party Contact: Bonnie Wasson 8059693415
- Entertainment: Live Jazz on Wednesday nights, in the greenhouse by the fire.
- Cross Street: Cabrillo
- Public Transit: Bus stop at the corner of Cabrillo blvd and Los Patos way (our street).
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Our private parking lot is adjacent to the Greenhouse side of the restaurant and wraps around the building next door. We also have parking directly in front, as well as street parking in front and across the street from the restaurant.
A word from Stella Mare's
French country bistro...Between Montecito and Santa Barbara, Stella Mare's Bistro is located in a historic Victorian home overlooking the Bird Refuge. French country cuisine rules the menu, with dishes like coq au vin, cassoulet, and moules frites. Sip seasonal cocktails amid cozy décor -- all the right ingredients for a great dining experience. Bon appétit!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Stella Mare's - Best Restaurants in Santa Barbara ›
Stella Mare's reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (29)fit for foodies (22)romantic (20)great for lunch (16)good for groups (15)neighborhood gem (14)great for brunch (12)great for outdoor dining (12)scenic view (12)notable wine list (10)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014IT WAS A LOVELY BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION. HOWEVER, WE WERE NOT TOLD THAT WE WOULD BE SITTING IN A ROOM WITH A LARGE FAMILY AND KIDS, FROM BABY TO TEENAGERS. WHEN WE ASKED TO BE SEATED IN A DIFFERENT ROOM, WE WERE TOLD THAT IT'S NOT POSSIBLE. HOWEVER, THE FOOD WAS EXCELLENT, AS ALWAYS, THE SERVCE SUPERB, AND A GOOD WINE LISTSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bet since Nice, FranceUnderhillDined on 10/23/2014We were excited to find, finally, a California restaurant that stands up to our favorites in the south of France. The décor was pleasantly reminiscent of Provence, and the restaurant clearly has a talented chef. I began with a duo of tapenade, one black olive, the other sun-dried tomatoes; those were served with thin slices of baguette brushed with olive oil and grilled The warmth of the toasts allowed the tapenades to melt and become unctuous. My husband loved his escargots. For our main course I had a delectable trout Grenobleoise, perfectly cooked and accompanied by lemon croutons, grilled endive, and mashed potatoes. My husband enjoyed his large and succulent moules frites; the mussels came in a cream sauce with a hint of anise.Special Features:
- FoodeatingoutDined on 10/19/2014The food is ok, could re-vamp the menu a bit. Amounts are small for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014Great food but the service was not good. Have been there twice and had the same server both times. 2 tables that sat after us got bread before us. Had to wait 15m for water and had to ask for refills. It was never offered. We would ask for things and she wouldn't bring them. Soup served without spoons. Not a good experience.Special Features:
- Great BrunchmyopinionDined on 10/12/2014Wonderful place for brunch. Good variety of choices on menu. Reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Excellent Food and ServicePandie48Dined on 10/5/2014I met some family from Austin, Texas for Brunch there and it was outstanding. If I had one concern it would be the smell outside because of the pond next to the restaurant. I would not recommend eating outdoors because of it. But the inside was excellent and had a special, warm, and inviting ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/14/2014What a wonderful dining experience! Service was both professional and friendly. Courses were nicely timed. Steak and fish were perfectly and delicious. Waiter chose my two glasses of wine and they were perfect. I can't recommend this place highly enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014My husband and I are locals and have never tried Stella Mare's. We wanted something quiet and away from downtown to celebrate our anniversary so we decided to give it a try. We were certainly not disappointed and will be back to try their happy hour and brunch. My husband ordered the rack of lamb which was cooked to perfection. I ordered the sea bass special which was also cooked to perfection with a flavorful crispy top. It is a tad pricey but you pay for what you get and in that case, I don't mind paying it.Special Features:
- Lovely SpotNorCalDanVIPDined on 9/7/2014French bistro-style restaurant lives up to its reputation. Food was very good, presentation lovely. Nice wine selection.Special Features:
- Very good with a few glitchesOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/31/2014Service was not great, but they also had a wedding party. Please, please, make sure your cappuccino is hot. Either the cup was not heated or it sat there. 4.50 for lukewarm cap is not acceptable. Also, serve you ice-cream in a chilled gown. What we got was way too soft and melted. more attention to detail ended here. Otherwise, the meal was very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Placenanacst3Dined on 8/31/2014As usual this place is outstanding. This was our 4th time there and each time we have taken different friends and family. Each time they say they can't wait to go back with their friends and family. Food is very good, waiters are very helpful and the setting is unique. It is set in a French farm house next to a lake. You are allowed to bring your own wine as well as they have a good selection. Looking forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KAS1VIPDined on 8/22/2014Terrific French themed food. Great burger and fries. Wife loved the seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 90th birthday partycatnet4Dined on 8/20/2014I took a friend to Stella Mare for her 90th birthday and we had a delightful time! Francisco, our waiter, was charming and thoughtful. We had a delicious lunch, glass of wine and Francisco brought out a wonderful chocolate pie with nut crust and "Happy birthday" written in rasberrry sauce! A real treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a lovely brunchBeacheatsVIPDined on 8/10/2014It is a gracious and beautiful space with many small "rooms" that allow quiet dining at the same time as larger family celebrations. Always a treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service needs improvementmyfeedbackVIPDined on 8/7/2014This was my second dinner here in the past few months. The food was very good both times, but the service was below par. The first time, my husband and I were astounded to hear that they would not substitute other vegetables for the potatoes on our entrees. I informed the manager that I have never been to a restaurant anywhere that refused to make that kind of a change for someone who doesn't eat potatoes. I was told I could order and pay for a side dish of vegetables instead! The second time, the service was siow and we had to request bread for our table and water refills.Special Features:
- Good food, good fun, good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/2/2014I had never heard of this restaurant, but it received great reviews. Fact is, it is just fun, casual, with great food. Beautiful location, near the beach. Food is maybe a little old fashioned, but so am I. Service is great, fun place.Special Features:
- Birthday LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/24/2014Really nice for a birthday lunch. All the food was good. It was a quiet day and service was a little slow, but otherwise all good.Special Features:
- Lovely Place with Good FoodIoneTaylorVIPDined on 7/20/2014We enjoyed great service and a good meal in a delightful setting. We dined in a greenhouse-like room with a country French feel. We ordered a local wine, Stolpman's syrah, which was delicious. My husband ordered steak au poivre with mashed potatoes and brussels sprouts. The brussels sprouts were exceptionally good and drenched in butter. I order the coq au vin, which was satisfying. We devoured the apple crisp for dessert. Our server Aaron offered suggestions on the menu and took excellent care of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TRULY OUTSTANDING!BETTYPIANOVIPDined on 7/3/2014This was the second time my colleague and I dined at Stella Mare's, and both times we enjoyed a superb experience: from the extremely helpful yet unobtrusive service, to the elegance of the French Provincial decor, to the wise spacing of tables, and of course to the variety and high quality of the food, the level was consistently excellent. We will definitely be back, and soon!Special Features:
- The following 87 reviews are from the Stella Mare's reviews archive.
- Delicious fishHelenVIPDined on 7/1/2014Our food was delicious. However, the service was something to be desired. We were given a dirty dish and they seemed to take forever to bring a clean one. Even bringing us the check took too long. The restaurant was not full at the time. It just seemed like they did not have enough staff available. I would like to give it another try because it is such a beautiful place.
- Very delicious lunch!NanacarDined on 6/17/2014Service was great, food excellent, and a great place to celebrate a birthday!Special Features:
- What a special find!eatingdiscoveriesDined on 6/5/2014I've never taken the Cabrillo left exit off the 101 before. What a surprise to find a beautiful park, good sized lake, and Stella Marie's across the street. A converted home from the late 1800's, the restaurant has several small rooms and a large atrium to serve customers. A country French theme pervades the decor and cuisine, and yet a casual ambience is preserved. Dinner was excellent, with the artichoke appetizer (roasted over oak) a "must eat", and both of our steaks cooked to perfection. If you're a meat eater, there are quite a few dishes on the menu. The wine was great, and our server was very attentive but didn't hover.Special Features:
- Nana3nanacst3Dined on 6/1/2014Absolutely wonderful, food service and setting. This was our second time and will definitely return. Great menu selection. It's a French house with various rooms and fireplaces.Special Features:
- Beautiful, DeliciousToboDined on 5/30/2014We went for a birthday celebration, and were delighted to find a beautiful location, charmingly decorated, with delicious dishes! From salads, to salmon, to steak au poivre, to tapenade to apple tart dessert - everything was perfectly made! The staff was helpful and ideally attentive. Cannot wait to return and in the meantime, spread the word.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Ribeye!chowdownDined on 5/24/2014My favorite steak place in Santa Barbara when I'm too lazy to drive north into Buellton or Nipomo. The ribeye is good quality beef and both the bearnaise and bordelaise sauce are fantastic. Much better beef and preparation than Holdren's, which in my opinion is overpriced. Great service and great ambiance. I highly recommend the beef, any cut is fine, but the sides are just good, nothing special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Special EveningtimetoeatDined on 5/18/2014Friends and I have wanted to try Stella Mare's for a long time and on our last trip through Santa Barbara, we finally made it for an early dinner. On entering the lovely restaurant, we were greeted by Jafet who made us feel welcome and gave us our choice for seating. We chose a cozy room looking out towards the front patio. It had a beautiful view of greenery and blue sky.. Our waiter, Sahid, was friendly and helpful. He provided us with excellent service. The food was delicious and with Sahid's help we chose the perfect Rhone wine. It was a most enjoyable meal and a very special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely and RelaxingPamBaker91423VIPDined on 5/14/2014Love Stella Mare's for lunch! Very relaxing, wonderful food...gotta try the truffle fries! The menu is out of this world --excellent!Special Features:
- Cosy and deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/13/2014Always first on my list when visiting Santa Barbara. Charming, cosy, romantic, excellent service, and delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early Mother's Day LunchAllMichelleDined on 5/10/2014We were running late due to traffic through Camarillo and the man who answered the phone was a bit rude and said he could only keep the table for 20 minutes. Once there, our server was fantastic and the food was very good!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Santa Barbara's BestLocalVIPDined on 5/3/2014This is our favorite restaurant in SB. It is a nice casual dress place located on the shore of the pond of the bird refuge just past the east end of the beach. The food is excellent - the mussels, cassoulet and short ribs are superb. You can't go wrong with your choice of entree. We have enjoyed meals as a couple and with our extended family - we were 9 at the last dinner there. Our waitress was outstanding. It is a must restaurant for French food in SB.Special Features:
- France in santa BarbaraFrancescaDined on 4/20/2014It was like taking a trip to Provence in France. Sweet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MARVELOUS FRENCH DININGBETTYPIANOVIPDined on 4/13/2014I cannot recommend this restaurant too highly! The lovely French country ambiance, the professionally attentive yet unobtrusive service, the variety and quality of the menu offerings, all resulted in a dining experience par excellence.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need quiet?AnlyDined on 3/29/2014Space divided so the dining is quiet for talking--hard to find in most restaurant s these days. We also liked the many choices and all were good service could be better. PSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We Loved the AtmosphereWayneDined on 3/23/2014Classy, quaint and fun. Food was good. Wasn't the best I've ever had but the atmosphere and service made the whole night special. Definitely will be back. Definitely will recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In the GreenhouseSDfanDined on 3/23/2014Food is good and nicely prepared. For lunch, we love the ambiance of the Greenhouse, a glassed-in section of the restaurant. It gives the feel of eating outside without direct exposure to wind, sun or other weather elements. Service is attentive and food offerings are varied. Whenever we visit Santa Barbara, we make a point of eating at least one meal at Stella Mare's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful timeZimmsDined on 3/7/2014After enjoying a meal at the more casual Le Cafe Stella in San Rocque, we wanted to try Stella Mare's while we were still in Santa Barbara. We visited after dark but have no doubt that this would be a beautiful spot to dine, given its scenic location and its welcoming porch. We were seated in an inviting small room where lighting, decor and noise level were all fine. Service was friendly and attentive. Meals were very good and everything we had (crab cakes, beet salad, filet mignon w/ bearnaise) was delicious. Nice selection of wines, at reasonable prices. The whole experience was enjoyable. If we lived in the area, we would come back and enjoy it in the daylight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My son had a filet that wasOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2014My son had a filet that was tough. We were planning a 24 person event but many would have ordered the steak so we are looking for someplace else.
- Charming!Pax411Dined on 2/27/2014Great food,fair service, but the ambiance is fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stella Mare's is a real findChrisDined on 2/19/2012Stella Mare's is a real find - we enjoyed our brunch there.Special Features:
- Great French cuisine!...TheEricDined on 2/18/2012Great French cuisine!...The escargot were delicious, the onion soup is the best and the Filet Oscar and cassoulet were also delicious...we will be going back and recommedning to friends!Special Features: