Stella Italian Fare
8008 Girard Ave
La Jolla, CA 92037Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Stella Italian Fare
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.stellalajolla.com/
- Phone: 8585513242
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 3:30pm
Dinner: Daily: 3:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Vincenzo Mauri
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: For private dining we offer 3 separate levels. Our patio will seat up to 70, main dining room will seat up to 50 and our sky room will seat 40.
- Private Party Contact: Gary Duplaisir 8585513242
- Entertainment: Live music from jazz, lite rock and flamenco.
A word from Stella Italian Fare
Welcome to Stella and thank you for choosing to dine with us. We are glad to have you experience our authentic central and northern Italian cuisine in the jewel of San Diego, La Jolla cove. We offer a view with indoor and outdoor seating, full bar and live entertainment.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Stella Italian Fare reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (40)great for outdoor dining (38)romantic (22)neighborhood gem (20)special occasion (14)fit for foodies (9)kid-friendly (8)hot spot (8)great for brunch (7)great for lunch (7)good for groups (6)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Italian for everyoneLindaDined on 9/13/2014A great menu and outdoor seating are why we chose Stella. Booked on open table, arrived on bikes so plenty of parking, wink. A bit warm when we arrived, the drawback to the glass balcony, no breeze except over it. Wine ordered promptly. Specials explained and orders taken. A little bit of everything on the menu and specials. We ordered the special crostini with fig, burrata and prosciutto. It was gorgeous and amazing. Pastas were huge, plenty for two. Salmon was a huge portion with fresh green beans. Again eaten the next day. Order less or plan on taking halves home for the next meal. Francesco was great. Funny, efficient and honest about what to order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceBananna858Dined on 9/6/2014Sat outdoors to have lunch with a friend. My Pasta Alla Norma was good but not exactly for me. The plating was lovely and food was a good portion. Francesco our server was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location - but - -VeggieloverDined on 9/5/2014When we reached there, the staff wanted to seat us at a nice location - but - they ended up quarreling with each other and how to handle the seating. Finally we suggested where we wanted to sit! The server was very kind but kindness does make the restaurant any better. Food at best was mediocre. Everything was very slow, and the place felt very dirty. The tables were sticky to touch, the chairs were very uncomfortable. No, I do not think this is a place to go in La Jolla. Needs a major overhaul.
- Good, not greatPatronDined on 8/31/2014Partial, somewhat distant view of the ocean from the patio (very few places in La Jolla are right on the ocean). Service was very good, portions are large, food was good but not great. You can do better in La Jolla, but you can also do worse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth it.Sd4evaDined on 8/29/2014We wanted to try this place for a long time and after trying it I can say that it's not worth it. It's over priced and their food is not that great.
- Why Stella'sOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2014Although not a weekly visitor, I was greeted by name and seated at the best table in the house! Gary and his staff made you feel at home and very special. The Italian seafood was far from "cookie cutter." Each dish was "custom made" per our request.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodYummyVIPDined on 8/22/2014Food was great, service was interesting. Made reservation for table with view, restaurant was mostly empty but had to state multiple times we requested a view table. It was our anniversary and we wanted. Romantic table away from young kids that had just been seated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La Jolla FindpshaplawDined on 8/10/2014Enzo Mauri has taken a great location and made it into a great restaurant. You are made to feel like family and there is a genuine attempt to let you know you are appreciated. The waiters and waitresses are always making sure you are comfortable and enjoying your meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surpriseJoycdVIPDined on 8/7/2014we ate here by default- couldn't get another reservation and the food was wonderful and so was the service- would definitely go back!Special Features:
- many waiters walking aroundtanyaDined on 8/7/2014Let me see start by saying that the food was good. The service was terrible. They did not provide bread initially and we had to ask for it. We easily waited over 20 min to order and besides one other family, we were the only ones there. View was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tycharmadDined on 8/5/2014Food was fine. The only dissappointment was the size of the kids portion. They do not have a kids menu, but said they can serve a smaller size of pasta with sauce. It was a VERY small portion and cost $10! If I'm going to pay 1/2 the price of the adult portion, I expect 1/2 the serving. The other meals were fine, but I was shocked by the price for a few noodles in a little bowl.Special Features:
- Authentic Italian cuisineWendyTDined on 8/1/2014If you love homemade pasta, this is the restaurant for you. The menu also features unique, delicious spreads with bread toasts. Much of the staff is Italian and they are happy to chat with the customers, making it a warm, friendly experience. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Excellent Italian RestaurantckingDined on 8/1/2014Food was great, wine was great, service was great. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ViewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014Nice view of the the coast from my seat. Food was very good and very authentic. Service was good even when we got through the accent barrier. Wine list is nothing much, but with the view, I didn't care too much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmbienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2014The staff bent over backwards for us. Outside there was music in a small area so we could not sit there. We wanted to be able to have a conversation. The bruschetta was fabulous. My kids were very content.Special Features:
- LNreviewDined on 7/3/2014The view and the attentive staff make this a place that we will want to return to. My husband had osso bucco which was prepared in the classic way and was perfect. I wanted something lighter and had the ahi tuna which came with a very tasty red pepper sauce. Only one negative is that although the restaurant serves wine they don't have a wine list which seems a bit odd for an Italian restaurant in La Jolla.Special Features:
- Great food and entertainmentFatBoyDined on 6/28/2014Stella is located in the downtown portion of La Jolla. The patio, on the 2nd floor, offers a wonderful view of the ocean. 2 guitarists sang and played their guitar as we dined. Food was awesome. Portion size was a little on the small side. Our party all agreed the dishes tasted great. The price was fair and actually an excellent deal if you factor in the live entertainment and an awesome view of the ocean.Special Features:
- Fantastic place for dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/27/2014What a find in La Jolla - this place has it all. The food was delicious, the ambience can't be beat, it's casual and friendly and the waiter was fantastic. Outdoor seating has an ocean view. There was live music on Friday night. Although we stayed for 4 hours until after they were closed, the staff never made us feel rushed. our waiter made great recommendations and even made the most awesome blueberry lemon drop martini for us, with his own blueberry infused Vodka. The fish was perfectly cooked, the pasta delicious. We are going back two nights later!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simple and Easy Does ItJimAgainVIPDined on 6/21/2014Stella's has a basic menu, and it does not offer the most exceptional food or a fine dining experience. It has a great view of La Jolla's coast, a strong selection of Italian fare, and a staff that is willing to work at making you feel welcome, comfortable, and glad you shared their hospitality. The dipping sauces are a nice innovation, and the wine list (a figment of our server's memory) does hold a few surprises. Go there if you want great eats w a casual atmosphere. The outdoor seating is superb and the Saturday night we were there, there was a nice band that rocked out without splitting any timbers or eardrums.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING Italian fareEatgoodlivewellloveoftenDined on 6/6/2014Stella Italianfare in LaJolla has fast become my favorite restaurant in San Diego. The ingredients are fresh, the combination of flavors inspiring, the drinks sophisticated and delicious. The food is, simply put, outstanding and by far surpasses other restaurant options. The spreads (appetizer) are to die for. This last Saturday night there was an excellent guitarist/vocalist who entertained on the outside patio. Everyone really enjoyed his style, song selection and the ambience he created.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, wine & music = fun nightluv2dineVIPDined on 6/4/2014We sat outside with a view. There are views from inside as well. The service was very good as well as the food. The gorgonzola, mango, papaya, beet dip was incredible. My husband loved the traditional lasagna and I loved the ensalta esotica. Add to that a nice bottle of Sangiovese, lava cake and a 3-person band playing flamenco sounds. We had a fabulous evening and will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StellasBrittany619Dined on 6/2/2014We went to Stella's on Monday for our 2nd year wedding anniversary. The staff was very friendly and very knowledgable about the menu. We were seated at the best table with a great view of the ocean. We had the lobster ravioli and another pasta dish with crab, shrimp ad lobster and both were amazing. We also had a cannoli for desert and it was delicious as well. We will Definitely be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantmarkVIPDined on 6/1/2014This is the second time we have eaten at Stella La Jolla, and it won't be our last. The food was just terrific. Their Seafood Pasta is one of the best I have eaten (Inluding the 12 years I lived in Italy!). The staff is terrific and our lunch for five was delightful. You should note that there are a bit of steps to climb....don't be like us and make our 91 year old step mother walk up the stairs to find out their is an elevator to the resturant just past the stairs. Great views from the patio as well as some tables inside. Charming resturant, view, great food and good staff..it can't get any better that that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great music & food. Fun place.MickeyDined on 5/31/2014Outstanding customer service. Friendly, music and dance. Full portions of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant, but bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014The food and environment was perfect, but the server completely ignored us after taking our order. We had to have another server get our check, after waiting about 30 minutes of trying to get our original server's attention.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stellach12345Dined on 5/31/2014We sat down.. The server said there was no wine list, and that if we wanted ice in our drinks it would be an additional $1 per person. For ice? The view was great, and I'm sure they have good food, but we didn't stay long enough to find out. If you want a classic italian meal, (pasta and meat sauce, fettucine, pizza, etc.) I wouldn't suggest going here. And if you're a La Jolla local, be prepared, because you'll be paying tourist prices.Special Features:
- FoodmarimarDined on 5/30/2014Fresh food but bland. Needed more flavor. A bit to expensive for just a pasta plate. About 2 weeks ago, I had a reservation and when I got there it was closed! :-( I can all the way from San Marcos. Then they told me they had been calling me to inform me. I had my phone with the all the time and the ringer was on. The guy told me that he got a message that my phone was not working! really?? Disappointed!Special Features:
- SERVICESheriVIPDined on 5/27/2014This was our first experience at Stella. Danko was our server. It was if it was his restaurant. His goal was to be sure that we had a memorable experience. Food was authentic Italian, and they were all about the customer. We sat outside and had great views of the water. A very pleasant evening!!!!Special Features:
- The following 3 reviews are from the Stella Italian Fare reviews archive.
- Good italian!ItalianfoodloverVIPDined on 5/11/2014This was the first time at Stella Italian Fare. we sat inside because all of the outdoor tables near heaters were full. They didn't have our name on their reservation list until I told them I had made the reservation through Open Table. I guess that list is separate and may explain why they didn't honor my request for seating. Wait staff were very good, food was excellent, and i would definitely go back there again.Special Features:
- Stella's!TeachDined on 5/11/2014Stella's has become our favorite 'special occasion' restaurant. EXCELLENT food. "Donko" is a great waiter!Special Features:
- Dburke22VIPDined on 5/10/2014Stella is getting its groove. The food was delicious (nut-crusted yellowfin and fresh pappardelle with a lamb ragu) and the server was knowledgeable, friendly and poised. However, the wine list had changed and had not been printed, and our OpenTable reservation had disappeared/not been recorded(?).I would recommend this to a friend.