Stella Barra Pizzeria - Chicago
1954 N Halsted St
Chicago, IL 60614Neighborhood:
PizzeriaPrice: $30 and under
Stella Barra Pizzeria - Chicago
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: (773) 634-4101
- Hours of Operation:
M-Thur 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Friday 3:00pm - 12:00am
Saturday 11:00am - 12:00am
Sunday 11:00am - 10:00pm
WEEKEND BRUNCH: Saturday & Sunday 11:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Chef Partner Jeff Mahin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Located in the heart of Lincoln Park, Stella Barra has a private back patio seating up to 60 guests. The room sits beneath a retractable awning, which can be opened or closed (weather permitting). The space is also heated during the winter months, creating the perfect atmosphere to host baby and bridal showers, rehearsal dinners, birthdays, corporate events and more! The space is also available for buyouts, private daytime luncheons (Monday-Friday) and weekend gatherings.
To inquire about private parties or off-premise catering, call our Catering Department at (773) 634-4101.
- Special Events: Located in the heart of Lincoln Park, Stella Barra Pizzeria offers an ever-changing menu that spotlights Chef Mahin's knack for baking and utilizing fresh farmers market ingredients, in addition to small plates, appetizers and fresh salads.
Stella Barra has a private back patio space seating up to 60 guests. The space sits beneath a retractable awning, which can be opened or closed (weather permitting). The space is also heated during the winter months, creating the perfect atmosphere to host baby and bridal showers, rehearsal dinners, birthday parties, corporate events and more! The space also lends itself perfectly to full or partial restaurant buyouts, and is available Monday-Friday for private luncheons.
To inquire about private parties or off-premise catering, please call our Sales & Special Events Department at (773) 634-4101.
A word from Stella Barra Pizzeria - Chicago
Stella Barra, an artisanal pizzeria highlighting Chef Jeff Mahin's knack for baking and utilizing fresh farmers market ingredients, located on Halsted and Armitage in the heart of Lincoln Park. In addition to Mahin’s signature pizzas, the menu boasts a selection of small plates and fresh salads as well as house made pastas and seasonal roasted vegetables. Hand-crafted cookies, pastries and a selection of breads to go are also available from a market counter located in the front of the restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Stella Barra Pizzeria - Chicago reviews from OpenTable diners
- Fun place, service not greatLaurenGDined on 11/22/2014The food and atmosphere are great. The service was not great. We waited 15 minutes for someone to come to table. Then our bread, appetizer, the pizza literally came out 60 seconds of each other. We felt very rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm hookedJayAjVIPDined on 11/22/2014First of all the option to have glutenfree bread with oil had me sold before I walked in. What's going to keep me coming back is the best glutenfree pizza in chicago. Went with a few friends and we had a phenomenal dining experience. Great service and even better food! This was my first time dining there and I will be back multiple times. If the glutenfree options are amazing I could only imagine how great there regular options are.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gorgeous venue!hannahfronzDined on 11/8/2014Absolutely loved everything about this place. The food, the scenery, and the crowd was great. I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Great FoodEdChiTownDined on 11/8/2014This was our second time here and it was just as good as the first time. We loved the prosciutto and farm egg. Our only complaint was the light above was flickering which gave off the strobe light effect.Special Features:
- Friday night hot spotkmo9791Dined on 11/7/2014I went here on a Friday night with my boyfriend for a casual date night, and overall I had a good experience. I liked the ambiance of the restaurant; we were seated in the back room, which with the lighting felt like you were sitting under the stars. In the more crowded front area, there are a couple of TVs and a bar area, as well as plenty of tables for dinner. We ordered the prosciutto w/ egg pizza - sounds strange, I know, but I would highly recommend it! Our server was friendly and professional, and the noise wasn't too overwhelming (at least in the back area). My only suggestion is to not charge for bread (and butter...very questionable). I feel like all Italian restaurants should offer complimentary bread.Special Features:
- Great crust; toppings need helpDerekWildstarVIPDined on 11/1/2014The crust was thin and chewy and delicious. On five of the six pizzas we tried, the toppings needed a flavor boost. More cheese would have helped.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Modern with a TwistcaffeinatedandcontentDined on 10/29/2014My boyfriend and I (both in our early 20s) took my visiting family to Stella Barra. The restaurant met almost all of my expectations, exceeding in some ways. The exposed brick and lighting fixtures made the interior modern with a homey twist- the chef was behind a counter along the back wall where children were given dough. The pizza matched the modern, hominess due to a variety of options, some for foodies and some traditional, served on delicious thin crust with thicker edges. We also tried a salad, bread, and olives - all bursting with flavor. Finally, my entire family agreed that the alternative music selection might have been our favorite ever heard at a restaurant. Overall, we had a great time despite our waitress being impersonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gluten awareOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014Was so impressed with staff knowledge of gluten sensitivity - our waitress even checked to see if the soy sauce had gluten in it! Amazing gluten free crust on pizzasSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SouthernChicagoVIPDined on 10/25/2014The butternut squash pizza is amazing! Same is true for the brussels sprouts.Special Features:
- Brunch?AKKakkVIPDined on 10/19/2014I've been to Stella Barra for pizza at night and really liked it especially their gluten free pizza. However, this Sunday they did not live up to expectations. I brought my gluten free daughter for a treat. We sat in the back, a really nice bricked garden area. It was beautiful, but I don't think the staff wanted to be back there. Service was terrible, the wait staff disappeaed for long periods of time. My daughters gluten free pizza was good, but the waffles with berries were terrible. A bit under cooked (mushy in the center) and very few berries and practically no whipped cream or syrup. I would have sent them back, but it took the staff so long to check in on us I just ended up eating what was in front of me.
- RG0415VIPDined on 10/17/2014DON'T GO here if you want to have a nice chat with a few friends or catch on a busy week with your wife - The music is just to LOUD!!!! - like a place with energy, but when your voice is sore after dinner from trying to talk over the music and the fact the place has not one soft surfaces to hold sound - Get a clue LEY -not your first restaurant - Love the pizza and apps but the sound is crazy loud.Special Features:
- Great white pizza!!!VirginiaDined on 10/15/2014Great pizza, love the super thin crust. The salad and the sides are yummy. Our server Delaney was delightful.Special Features:
- Great PlaceGusGusDined on 10/14/2014Perfect for a date or a get together with a friend. Two of us shared a plate of Brussels Sprouts and a pizza and were plenty full. The bacon goat cheese was insane. Tip: If you can't decide between two pizzas, do a half and half!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Experience!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/11/2014All of my experiences at Stella Barra have been amazing! On Saturday night the service, ambiance and food was delicious! All of the staff made my birthday so special!!Special Features:
- great foodbuckeyegirlVIPDined on 10/10/2014Delicious pizza. Thin and not a lot of cheese so didn't feel guilty. Love baked goods tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Perfect DaterjohnsonDined on 10/9/2014I was recommended Stella Barra as a good spot for a date and the endorsement did not disappoint. We were seated at a low table in the center of the room but had no problem hearing one another. The server instructed us that the pizza would take roughly 30 minutes so we ordered a bottle of wine to pass the time. When the pizza arrived, we were extremely impressed in its look and taste. As the evening round down, we ordered a chocolate moose with nutella.Special Features:
- Good PizzaWinedudeVIPDined on 10/1/2014Small menu focused on pizza. Try the prosciutto and egg thin sin pizza. It's excellent. The four cheese pizza is also very good. Service is friendly. Small selection of wine and beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pizza!LincolnParkJennDined on 9/26/2014Love Stella Barra! A great neighborhood restaurant with a fun atmosphere, great pizza, and fantastic service! I highly recommend the burrata for an appetizer and the goat cheese and bacon pizza!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor Oasisjsr19VIPDined on 9/20/2014They have a beautiful patio out back. It was the perfect place to eat a leisurely meal to enjoy the end of summer. The burrata and caesar salad were delicious, but our pizzas was just ok. I'm sure I will be back, but next time maybe for salads and sides.Special Features:
- Only go for the bar sceneParisfoodfan2Dined on 9/20/2014One of the 3 pizzas came undercooked and tasting like dough, and it arrived 5 minutes after the other two. They first refused. To continue cooking it and insisted that we would have to wait another 30 minutes for a new one. Only after we refused to wait did they continue to cook the pizza more until it was done. The Brussels sprouts were very good but the kale and spinach salad lacked flavor and imagination. The dressing was quite heavy. The noise level was quite loud and talking was a strain. I would not recommend this restaurant for anyone over 35 and better quality pizza can be found in many venues around the city,Special Features:
- Cool space, average foodgastronomenDined on 9/6/2014We went to Stella Barra early on a Saturday night with our 6-year old son. They have a "make your own pizza" deal for kids before 6 p.m. and there were plenty of other families with kids taking advantage of the same deal. We ordered a heirloom tomato salad and my husband and I shared a pizza. I would say the whole dining experience was good, but the food was only so-so. The tomato salad that was brought out was very cold, to the point that some tomatoes were actually frozen. We found the food to be under salted, bot the salad and the pizza. We may or may not go back. The kids make your own pizza is a big plus for families with kids, but we'd have to find some other food options for ourselves on their menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great/trendyOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/5/2014Great restaurant would visit again!! Love the motif of the place as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood restaurantAlimDined on 9/4/2014Pizza was great. Appetizers were delicious. Ambiance was lovely. Great for groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/31/2014We went with our family and had a great time. We ordered a little bit of each kind of food on the menu and shared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service/staff with OK foodEB211VIPDined on 8/26/2014Accepts reservations but does not honor them. Upon arriving to my 7pm reservation, I was told that we would have to wait for a table as they were "first come first serve". I questioned why I was able to make a reservation and the hostess rudely explained that she did not make the rules and was only doing her job. As for the food it was average, nothing special. You can get similar dishes and pizza from numerous different places throughout the city. While the food was not bad at all, I would not suggest traveling to this restaurant for the food alone. Overall I had a poor experience here with average food, making for a sub par visit. We will not be returning not recommending this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great AtmospherekhoschDined on 8/22/2014Stella Barra has a great atmosphere--it's really fun to eat there in a group. The food isn't the greatest but the fun atmosphere makes up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/17/2014A little more cheese on pizza would be better. I did still enjoy the food and the service was great. a bit pricey.Special Features:
- A real gem!ChicagoDinerVIPDined on 8/16/2014Heard a lot of good things about Stella Barra and was not disappointed. We managed to score a table on the charming back patio and loved everything we tried. The pizzas are exceptional and the burrata appetizer with grilled grapes recommended by the server did not disappoint. They even let you go half and half on a pizza so you can try two different types. Great cocktails (the large bar area at the front is very appealing), interesting wine list, and the excellent service that you expect from a LYE restaurant all made for a delightful evening. Can't wait to try Summer House next door now.Special Features:
- The Staff RocksBirthdayManDined on 8/16/2014I had a great time at Stella Barra. I brunched there with an omelet, coffee, and some amazing brussell sprouts. The sprouts were so good looking that someone walked by the table as they were departing and said, looks like I'm coming back here.Special Features:
- Great spot!BdaydinDined on 8/14/2014Love this place - great food, great vibe and good prices. They even got us in a bit before our reservation time. I moved out here from LA so used to go to the one there often, and this one almost feels like you're in LA too. Def will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grilled Grapes!GBarinaVIPDined on 8/12/2014Had an 8:00 reservation on a Tuesday night. Was happy to see the place was packed, but not so happy with the noise level. Anything more than a party of 4 is going to be challenging. It's not just the people, but they seem to have the music up awfully loud. But, overall made for an energetic vibe that is much preferred to dead on a Tues night. We attempted to start with 2 Allegash beers, which they were out of. Onto an app - LOVED the burrata with grilled red grapes. The grapes were amazing - smokey on the outside and sweet when you bite into them! We split the bacon & goat cheese pizza. It was good, although a little dry and could have used more goat cheese. Overall, it was a fun night out &I would go back to try more of the menu!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/11/2014All food was extremely tasty! Fabulous side veggies, appetizers yummy, and pizza was light and delicious! Service was wonderful...very welcoming from start to finish! Super nice staff, extremely helpful with ordering suggestions. My only complaint...the music was VERY loud and it became a bit difficult to have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2014Sat outside. The mixed chairs, in height were very uncomfortable. We had a low table and I was sitting in a normal size chair...it was just awkward. Pizza was better than average....all just ok over all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2014Loved their patio out back! We had caeser salad and bacon pizza, it was delicious- great crust!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchMikeytVIPDined on 8/10/2014Extremely unique pizzas. Great twist on simple dishesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good PizzaJuliDined on 8/9/2014Stella Barra was a good experience overall and I will probably return. The pizza was very good and the cocktails were delicious. I loved that the portion sizes were larger, making it an affordable meal for 2.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not sure about late night welcomedinesalotDined on 8/4/2014We arrived for our 10 pm reservation so it should not have been a surprise to anyone, however our server was already mentally checked out. There was a few other tables lingering but we still tried to hurry up. We weren't told of specials and it took an Ct of God to get a second glass of wine. We were never offered dessert menus or after dinner drinks either. Just not the extraordinary LEYE hospitality I relish. The final straw was when we were leaving the waiter said "it's been real" Who says that to a diner in an upscale restaurant? Maybe they shouldn't seat until 11 if they really don't want you there. Otherwise,gorgeous place, great food. Decent wine listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service!j0reviewDined on 8/4/2014Although they weren't able to accommodate for us right at the reservation time, the wait wasn't long. The waiter was friendly and helpful in making recommendations. Other hostesses, waiters, and waitresses seemed also seemed to be well trained and provide quality service. The food, needless to say, was great. My boyfriend and I had pizza (1/2 Applewood Smoked Bacon & Goat Cheese and 1/2 Shaved Mushroom) and a Fine Chopped Salad, all recommended by the waiter. We also had bread with the house-churned butter. The amount of food was just right for both of us put together (I don't eat a lot, he eats a lot). Although the second serving of bread we got was a bit stale, I'm still giving 5 stars because for some reason, we weren't charged for it!Special Features:
- Great foodLuv2eatVIPDined on 7/30/2014The artichoke and spinach pizza was delicious. Do not miss ordering the brussel sprouts. They are absolutely amazing!! Even if you always disliked them, it's a must have.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Star 'ZaoinospellVIPDined on 7/30/2014Loved the inventive fresh spinach/date salad, the delicious cauliflower, and a fabulous un-gummy pizza! Decent wines by glass on compact list (80% Italian, 20% American). Not to mention a sweet butterscotch-caramel jar of hedonistic delight. All brilliant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.