653 Thalia Road
Virginia Beach, VA 23452Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.steinys.com/
- Phone: 7573401156x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Special hours for private parties available
Closed Christmas Day, New Year's Day, Thanksgiving Day
Special holiday hours on Easter, Mother's Day, Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Our catering staff produces a seamless event with little to no effort from you. We love a challenge and will work to make your wish list a reality within your budget.
A word from Steinhilber's Restaurant
A tidewater tradition, this family owned and operated restaurant has been serving the finest seafood and steaks for over 70 years. Join Steinhilber's for dinner on any occasion.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Steinhilber's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Virginia Beach ›
Steinhilber's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
197 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (147)scenic view (146)romantic (120)great for outdoor dining (111)neighborhood gem (95)notable wine list (63)good for groups (59)fit for foodies (55)kid-friendly (12)late-night find (11)great for brunch (10)great for lunch (9)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- Food Very Good Service Not So GoodWAHIIIDined on 8/31/2014This has long been a special occasion location for our family but the owners struggle to maintain this special place. Food is still very good, but more tables add to congestion and high noise level. The signature jumbo shrimp is still outstanding and steaks are a very good entree , with large cuts. Service marginal, the waiter told us he was new and his effort affected our experience. We had a long waits between ordering drinks, appetizers, waited nearly 10 minutes after salads for salt and pepper, never were offered condiments with the downsized she crab soup and then the entrees were long time coming but they were good. Owner always friendly and caring. Still a favoirite food destinationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious meal and great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/31/2014We celebrated our anniversary at Steinhilbers. The service was prompt, but not obtrusive and the food was tastefully prepared and cooked as ordered. The salad, entre` and dessert arrived at nice intervals, not too rushed , but not leaving long waits between courses. Our table overlooked the lawn, with a view to the water. Altogether a most enjoyable dining experience!Special Features:
- A hidden gemJimRVIPDined on 8/31/2014This is a beautiful, traditional restaurant hidden in a neighborhood near citycenter. The food and the garden setting made for a delightful evening.Special Features:
- Great seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/30/2014When we want great atmosphere along with an excellent dining experience this is how go-to spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were so pleased with everything.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014The service and food were excellant! I am not waiting for a "special occassion" to return.Special Features:
- great settinggreatfoodDined on 8/29/2014I was very happy with the service everyone was really niceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SteineysLiv2eatDined on 8/28/2014Shrimp appetizer is unforgetable best ever. Everything as always is cooked to perfection. These people pay attention to every detail. Highly recomend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cerone StoneOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014Customer service was excellent and the food was great too!!!Special Features:
- Still GreatShrimperDined on 8/25/2014We have visited Steinhilber's many times over the years. They have ALWAYS been better than expected. You have not had fried shrimp until you have had their version. Coupled with a twice baked potato, your meal is then complete. Lovely setting overlooking the Lynnhaven river.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!!!PRS1Dined on 8/24/2014This is the second time that we have been back to Steinhilber's. The restaurant is on a huge stretch of land along the water in Virginia Beach. The restaurant itself has almost a historic feel to it. The service staff is very professional and attentive. The bulk of the entrees are seafood oriented and my wife says the quality is a big step above anything else in the area. Personally, I'm not a seafood person, but I can still find plenty of entree choices that I would want. There is a great wine selection and a good mix of beers on the menu.Special Features:
- Great experienceAkaqte7Dined on 8/23/2014The food and service was excellent. Very good dinning experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed.FoodProDined on 8/23/2014We were very disappointed in Steinhilber's because we had heard about it from a friend who said the food was great. After finding it (it's way back in the Thalia section of Virginia Beach) for what was to be a romantic night out at what we thought was an upscale establishment. Once there, we just found it to be too noisy, have cramped seating, and to be overpriced considering the food choices available (chicken, seafood, and steak). They had an extensive wine list, which is a plus. We go out to eat often and simply have had much better seafood and steak for far less money at other places in the area. I am sorry, but this restaurant poorly lived up to the hype that preceded our visit, and we were very disappointed.Special Features:
- Still In LoveFarmsandiDined on 8/19/2014The restaurant remains a top notch destination, due to the food and more importantly, the excellent wait staff. Michael (that's what my mom said our waiter's name was...my apologies if I got it wrong) was attentive, cheerful, and accommodating. Even though it's a 100 mile drive, our family still chooses Steinhilber's for our very special occasions. We look forward to visiting again very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/17/2014We came here for a birthday and were thrilled with the experience. We'd been here before and liked it, but this time was better than we remembered. Our food was just delicious and the whole experience from start to finish was wonderful.Special Features:
- Old friendoldfriend7823Dined on 8/17/2014While everything food, service, etc. was great, as usual, the main indoor dining room was not very busy this Sunday night. We could not understand why, with so much room in the dining room. they seated all guests in one section of the room, all crowded together. It would have been much nicer if the guests were spread out throughout the dining room. If they is there policy for whatever reason, they should reconsider on nights when it is not so busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!MelBell2003Dined on 8/16/2014A bi-annual visit for my husband and I, we celebrated our 11th anniversary over a wonderful dinner (we have gone to Steinhilber's each year!) As always, the food was absolutely excellent, as was the service. We love sitting outside on the patio on late summer nights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for that special someone!LarryDined on 8/15/2014Great service, great food in a charming setting. The expression, "You only get one chance to make a good first impression" is true. In this case, everyone at Steinhilber's went far beyond the norm to make sure we were impressed.Special Features:
- WMGMCGVIPDined on 8/15/2014Food & service is always excellent. Fried shrimp and soft shells crabs are our favorite.Special Features:
- Wonderful RestaurantSanJean14Dined on 8/14/2014We were there for our 32nd wedding anniversary and it was a very nice setting. Somewhat crowded but that means it's a desired location. Wish it had been a more intimate dining experience but it was fine. The dinner was good however food was not too warm at all. We will go again! We have shared it with our friends and family to try this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great Food, service could be betterVAFoodieDined on 8/14/2014Went here with my boss and coworker & got a great seat outside. It became clear very quickly that my waiter was new or bad. The food was excellent from their butterfly shrimp, to the petite filet, and the pecan pie. I was very happy with every bite. Only 2 things were disappointing, our waiter and the bathroom. The waiter was sub par for this 5 star place. When asked if the pecan pie was more moist or dry, he replied "neither...it is awesome". Not a fan of dry pie, I rolled the dice and welcomed an unmistakably moist and awesome slice of pie. Also dropped the check quite rudely and made fun of my coworker as we were paying. The bathroom felt like one from a Subway connected to a gas station complete with fence latch on the door.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014This spot was a nice find in Virginia Beach. The food was good, the wait staff were friendly (the owner is even hands-on, filling up our water glasses) and the view was pretty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantJJfromNCDined on 8/10/2014fantastic restaurant. the Best seafood along the east coast. Owners are very friendly and attentive. Food is the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KarelDined on 8/10/2014My husband and I still talk about our exceptional meal. From the moment we walked in, and was greeted warmly, to our incredible meal (not to mention the best apple pie we have ever had) we were made to feel special, and will return as often as possible, knowing each dining experience will be wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best everDaleDined on 8/9/2014We eat out a lot and enjoy fine dining. This place is amazing! The owner spoke to us and made us feel at home, the service was superb and the food outstanding!!! We will be back a jewel of a place to enjoy fine food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable DiningregdinerwgdtasteDined on 8/5/2014Wonderful meal for my wife's birthday. Food was delicious & well presented. Our server was excellent.Special Features:
- wonderfultunajohn406Dined on 8/5/2014Went for my wedding anniversary. It was wonderful. Great food great service and what a viewSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first visitLMSAPGVIPDined on 8/5/2014First time here. Came highly recommended from friends who know food and service. Service was great and food was better. No complaints. Enjoyed several apps (oysters and fried shrimp) and entrees of steak and kingfish.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently greatPmenDined on 8/4/2014Always a fine dining experience. Meals were very nicely presented, fresh and delicious. Wait staff seemed a little cold toward two well behaved small children ages 4 and 6. Made us seem somewhat unwelcome.Special Features:
- Steinhilber'sDiningCostalVADined on 8/2/2014The wait staff from the matradee to the waiters and servers were professional and courteous meeting all of our needs and wishes. The prime rib, NY strip steak and fish were a delight at our table. Conversation was easy and enjoyable with the quiet atmosphere. Using OpenTable.com to book our reservation and to send notices to our guests and then make a change from a table of 5 to a table of 7 was easy. The confirmation email for the change assured we would enjoy are dining and not worry about the reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A disappointment...CCSVBVADined on 8/1/2014It appears that this once fine restaurant now caters primarily to businesses and large events, paying less attention to their other guests. This seems to have affected the service and food quality. We celebrated our anniversary last night and there were many small problems. Raw oysters were just ok, both steaks were way over done and veggie sides were left on the table to get cold while we waited on new steaks. It was an ok evening, but the experience was flawed in so many areas that it disparaged this once fine restaurant. In spite of this, the prices were very high and little effort was made to 'comp' anything. We expected the prices, but not for this level of service and food preparation. We will likely eat elsewhere in the future.
- Fabulous as AlwaysCodyDined on 7/31/2014Steinhilber's always leaves me fat and happy! A Virginia Beach gem!Special Features:
- A lovely, relaxing mealGrandmaNonaDined on 7/30/2014Friendly service; we felt like we were visiting relatives. Interesting menu with a small selection of various foods. Beautiful outdoor seating.Special Features:
- Worth the visitDeliciousDined on 7/28/2014When I travel I try to eat the local cuisine. The food here was amazing the review did not do it justice. Please visit you will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Dinner and catching up...Smidge0411Dined on 7/27/2014We hadn't seen our friends for years. They were vacationing at Virginia Beach and we decided to get together for dinner. My wife and I had dined at Steinhilber's frequently, so we knew it would provide great food and a perfect atmosphere for an evening of catching up. The food was sensational and the relaxed setting allowed us to visit for two hours. It was a very special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Steinhilber's Restaurantluv2feastDined on 7/27/2014I recently had dinner at Steinhilber's to celebrate birthdays for two friends. The food was wonderful, the ambiance was great, and the service was excellent! I will definitely consider the restaurant for more events!Special Features:
- Phillyguy117Dined on 7/26/2014Food excellent. Service excellent. Owner comes to table & greets guests and checks after dinner to make sure everything was satisfactory. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2014My husband and I were impressed with the quality of food and service. The owner of the restaurant was friendly and very helpful to her staff. She was present talking with guest and filling water glasses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Virginia's Best RestaurantourhouseDined on 7/26/2014Our most recent visit confirms our opinion that Steinhilber's Restaurant is an excellent venue to celebrate Valentine's Day and events such as a Wedding Anniversary.Special Features:
- OutstandingoldestlockrinDined on 7/25/2014Most probably the best restaurant in Virginia Beach. The food, especially the shrimp, are outstanding. Service is excellent and they understand fine dining and a slow/comfortable environment.Special Features:
- Outstanding dining experiencemoyaandmeDined on 7/23/2014I took my two nieces to Steinhilber's this week. I haven't been in years. I was thrilled that the level of service and food is still the same. It was a wonderful evening. Jack our waiter was fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.