653 Thalia Road
Virginia Beach, VA 23452Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.steinys.com/
- Phone: 7573401156x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Special hours for private parties available
Closed Christmas Day, New Year's Day, Thanksgiving Day
Special holiday hours on Easter, Mother's Day, Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Our catering staff produces a seamless event with little to no effort from you. We love a challenge and will work to make your wish list a reality within your budget.
A word from Steinhilber's Restaurant
A tidewater tradition, this family owned and operated restaurant has been serving the finest seafood and steaks for over 70 years. Join Steinhilber's for dinner on any occasion.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Steinhilber's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Virginia Beach ›
Steinhilber's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
205 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (153)scenic view (143)romantic (123)great for outdoor dining (118)neighborhood gem (103)good for groups (68)fit for foodies (63)notable wine list (57)kid-friendly (12)late-night find (12)great for lunch (8)hot spot (7)great for brunch (6)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- food is perfectionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014The food is exactly what I'm always hoping for when I order seafood! Everything was cooked to perfection with the perfect amt of flavoring so that it merely enhanced the already wonderful flavor of each dish. After tasting their famous fried shrimp, I feel like I have been robbed of "real" fried shrimp my whole life! And we couldn't believe we received such fresh food so quickly!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014The atmosphere was very romantic, however it was not as great of an experience as I had hoped. First our table was very wobbly, it happens I know but nothing is more annoying than sitting at a very small table and having the table wobble the whole meal. The service was good, our waiter was very knowledgeable and helpful with the selections. The meal was the most disappointing part. My food was not hot at all, my boyfriend's meal was the same, cold and disappointing. For the price of the meal, the food should be hot and fresh tasting. It tasted like it was sitting under the lamps for a while. Overall it was nice, but I don't think I would return any time soon.Special Features:
- Interesting Experience ...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014The food was good, but the waiter served Wahoo instead of the Puppy Drum special we ordered (at a higher price). He seemed to have totally blanked out on the order. We hadn't been to Steiney's in 10 years, returning this time for a special night out. Overall, it wasn't as great an experience as we remembered. We made reservations in advance and were placed at a cramped two-top (couldn't cross my legs under the table) in the corner near the kitchen entrance, while other couples were seated at tables for four. Plus, the AC was at a chilly temp; I was glad I brought a wrap. We're hoping it was just an off night, as this restaurant has such an excellent reputation.Special Features:
- First VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014This was my first visit to the restaurant and everything was wonderful. I would highly recommend it for anyone looking for a delicious meal great atmosphere and superb service. I brought my family in for a small family birthday dinner and we will be back again thank you very much for everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fried ShrimpKarenDined on 10/17/2014They are always a hit! I recommend eating outdoors - weather permitting.Special Features:
- SPECIAL OCCASIONSRonnDined on 10/17/2014If you have special request for a special occasion this restaurant does not do a very good job of doing anything for those occasions. Do your self a favor and call and talk to someone several times about what you want or it will not get done. By all means do not rely on someone reading your request and compling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for the faint of walletPattyEDined on 10/16/2014We have been going to Steinys for the last 27 yrs. much less frequently in the last few years as they have gotten quite expensive. The food is very good and the place is wonderful to celebrate a special occasion. Now, you pay more for less, and I honestly don't think it is as good as it has been in the past. But if money is no object it is quite a nice place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Renewed EnergyGinnyMarieDined on 10/11/2014After seeing the outdoor dining experience on Facebook's "I Grew Up In Virginia Beach", my sister called and said we needed to go to Steiny's again. That Saturday night five of us arrived for outdoor dining. My niece had never been to Steiny's and since it was her birthday we were delighted to share the experience. It was a little chilly and rain was forecast, but we had already decided that we were going to sit outside and chance it. So glad we did. Bart was great, knowledgeable, and made sure we were taken care of. The food is still as good as I remember but combined with the lovely garden spot and water view we had a fantastic evening. We did not choose to sit at the fire tables for fear of rain, but next time...Special Features:
- Perfect weatherGailDined on 10/10/2014The atmosphere was wonderful. It was October but the summer flowers were in full bloom. The menu is varied and the food was delicious. The wait staff is very attentive.Special Features:
- Special Occasion!!Bdgirl2Dined on 10/10/2014We really enjoyed our first visit to Steinhilbers and would definitely go again. It's a restaurant you should go for a special occasion, it's not your everyday dining spot. Service was over the top as was the whole experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Triple GreatsTrollingstoneVIPDined on 10/10/2014Great ambiance, great food, great service. Nothing more to say. Our first time experience at Steinhilber's was, as Tony the Tiger says, Greaaaat!. Sat on the patio, surrounded by plantings with a water view, service was very attentive but not overbearing and quite knowledgeable, shared a seafood main dish that was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful outdoor seatingalliatthebeachDined on 10/7/2014We love sitting on the flower covered patio, it is so peaceful. We can't wait for cooler weather to try out the fire pit tables. The fish is always fresh and prepared nicely. Service is always great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerBoatsDined on 10/6/2014Took our son for his 17th birthday. We had a great time and the food was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDISAPPOINTEDDined on 10/5/2014Very Expensive for what we received...food tastelessSpecial Features:
- Breath Taking ViewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014Me and my friends went there to celebrate my birthday. The staff were extremely nice, professional and very helpful. We visited on a cool night and they give us blankets to keep us warm and even took pictures of us when we asked. I was truly pleased with the level of service and will definitely recommend this restaurant to my friends and family. We also planned to do a couples night with our husbands sometime in October and that will be exciting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WandaDined on 10/4/2014We had dinner here Saturday evening and sat on the nicely decorated patio. We had the fried shrimp and she-crab soup as an appetizer and I had the crab cakes for dinner. The food was delicious and the service was impeccable. I was amazed at how much crab was actually in the soup! We both really enjoyed our experience and will definitely return. Thanks for a great evening!Special Features:
- Romantic DinnerChap4UDined on 10/3/2014Great service, great food. We were not rushed at all and had a wonderful time taking my wife out on her Birthday! We will be back!Special Features:
- Wonderful meal and servicejfofvaDined on 9/28/2014The patio is absolutely beautiful! If the weather is appropriate, definitely ask to sit outside. You are surrounded by beautiful flowers and most tables are covered by umbrellas. A nearby table had a fire pit in the center, which is nice when it starts to get a light chill in the air. We had terrific service. Food standouts include the prime rib and fried shrimp. Love the homemade salad dressings, rolls, and cornbread. We live about two hours away and visiting Steinhilber's is a must when we visit Virginia Beach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Time TravelerJordanVIPDined on 9/25/2014Steinhilber's remains true to memories of the past. Fried shrimp favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could use some musicMusicisthefoodoflove2Dined on 9/24/2014I love Steinhilbers but on my most recent visit we were celebrating a recent wedding with a small dinner. We were seated in the room addition. It was nice but there was absolutely no ambience whatsoever! There wasn't a sound in that room, way to quiet! My son actually took out his cell phone and selected so e soft dinner music! I suggest that Steinhilbers invest in a quality sound system and select some quality dinner music. The silence was actually disruptive!Special Features:
- ziggyDined on 9/19/2014your shrimp app., service and cleanliness of the rest. are excellent. We did not experience any problems and enjoyed dining. Next visit I want to try your outdoor fire pit table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fire Pit FunFoodwinefunDined on 9/18/2014We had beautiful weather for dining outdoors. We had a table at one of the new fire pits. As always the food and service were superb! Lovely restaurant for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014One of our favorite "special occasion" restaurants anywhere. Fantastic atmosphere especially if the weather allows for outdoor dining. Wait staff is fabulous and seem genuinely engaged in making sure the evening is outstanding. Food is delicious as well, nothing is over-seasoned and the ingredients are fresh and local. Love it!!!Special Features:
- First time visit, will returnJVBVDined on 9/18/2014This was our first visit to Steinhilbers despite many, many recommendations before. It was our Anniversary and we decided to try a place we hadn't been. We were not disappointed and will definitely return. Location, scenery, service were superb. (We ate on the outside porch.) The food was excellent also, especially the "Stiney's Fried Shrimp". The reason I dropped one star on food quality was that my side (vegetable medley) was unevenly heated, with some actual cold bites Also, my wife ordered her filet "medium" which should've had some pink in the middle, but it looked to be almost well done. She said it was excellent however and did not request to have it re-cooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Pleasant Place To DineHanksterDined on 9/17/2014This was my first time dining here and I was pleasantly surprised as I pulled into the parking lot of this quaint dining establishment. I was again taken back by the rustic dining room with its senic view. The food was fabulous and it was hard to make a choice from the varied items on the menu, our seafood choices were excellent! As we left the restaurant we viewed the patio dining area and it was beautiful as well and features several fire tables ... warm and cozy for sure! I highly recommend a visit to this wonderful restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- McpartyDined on 9/16/2014Another great meal at a Virginia Beach landmark! ThanksSpecial Features:
- Good, but slippingDenny10Dined on 9/16/2014Having dined at Steinhilber's many times over the years, my wife and I celebrated our anniversary dinner there recently. The restaurant was not very busy that night, being a Tuesday. Although we enjoyed our evening, we found the food to be not quite up to its past standards. We both had the prime rib, which was very good. My wife had the shrimp cocktail, and remarked that it was the best she ever had, from the plump, sweet, nicely spiced shrimp to the excellent sauce. I had the she-crab soup, which was a bit salty, and contained lots of shell bits. We both had the sautéed mixed vegetables, which were bland and disappointing. The crème brule was delicious, and a perfect dessert. Still a fine restaurant, but needs some attention.Special Features:
- Great outdoor dininglbh0916Dined on 9/14/2014For outdoor dining in Hampton Roads, you can't beat Steinhilbers, but you can find better food at other restaurants. Food was good but not great. One of our party ordered the grilled shrimp but was brought the fried shrimp. The tomato basil salads and strawberry shortcake were superb, but our steaks were not of the quality I would have expected at this price point. I have had a better filet at Outback for a much cheaper price.Special Features:
- Wife's B'DaymissplacedyankDined on 9/14/2014Great place to dine. Food is always good. It is one of our favorite places to eat. We always go earlier in the evening and get a great table and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old SchoolDickmDined on 9/13/2014We went on a Saturday night after making reservations on Open Table. Our seating preference was for a table with a view, which we got. Much of the food could be described as "old fashioned" but in a good way, with a lot of traditional dishes that were very well prepared. The service was very gracious and attentive, and the owner circulated through the Dining Room, making sure the guests were happy. The seafood was fresh, the steak was cooked perfectly, and overall it was a very enjoyable evening. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014We were late setting reservations and were booked for 8:00 p.m. So, we took advantage of the time with a very comfortable and enjoyable gathering in the bar. Very good service from the bar tender. We were seated at about 8:15 p.m. and enjoyed a wonderful meal, were the last to leave but never rushed. Our exit (one of the staff rushed to open the door for us) was met with a warm thank you and encouraging words to please come back.Special Features:
- A Local GemWorldtravelerDined on 9/12/2014What a wonderful restaurant with fantastic food! The outdoor dining area was magical with the beautiful flowers and romantic lighting.Special Features:
- Wonderful for fishvegasloverVIPDined on 9/10/2014This is a special place for us. We come here from 5 hours away for a special dinner at least once a year. We came for my husbands birthday. The fish and the secret sauce are still wonderful . The steiny shrimp are to die for. As noticed by another reviewer, the service seems to have suffered here somewhat although once our courses were ordered, the food came from the kitchen like lightening. Hopefully it was just an off night. We will go again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently outstandingWoodhouse1021Dined on 9/10/2014Steinhilbers never disappoints! The fried shrimp are a must-have appetizer. Having grown up in VB, ive been coming here for years. It's a go-to place for a nice dinner with out of town guests and for celebrations.Special Features:
- Old-school with local farm produceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/7/2014Had a delightful evening here. You would not stumble on this place but well worth the trip away from the oceanfront area of Virginia Beach. Traditional menu of seafood and steaks accompanied by locally grown produce by the restaurant owner. ENjoyed meeting her and hearing of the family history. Great crab cake with fresh veggies. Only reason not to give 5 stars as the mixed drinks ordered by the table were not great. Stick to the basics from the bar. Good wine selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner on the patioMsBLDined on 9/6/2014We always choose Steinhilbers when we have a special occasion. We can always count on the best food, service and ambiance. We sat outside, it was very special. I had the caprese salad, with home grown tomatoes and herbs, the best I've ever had. We've never been disappointed with this restaurant, in the 20 years we've been going here. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bomb dot comBigBrinxDined on 9/5/2014We really enjoyed the atmosphere and the service was absolutely wonderful. We we treated with the utmost respect and courtesy the entire evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steinhilber's shrimpPonchiDined on 9/3/2014The weather was a bit too warm for dining outside so we sat in the windowed room which is often used for groups. It was lovely. The shrimp dinner was excellent. There is no place like Steinhilber's for fried shrimp.The salad and sides were delicious,too. The service was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steinhilber'sButchDined on 9/2/2014We had not been to "Steiney's" in over 40 years, and it was all we remembered and more. We are already planning our next visit, and have spoken with another couple who want to go with us. The food is better than good, the ambiance is VERY Tidewater Virginia, and the personnel make you feel "at home".Special Features:
- Great fried shrimpBillyboyDined on 9/1/2014The interior is very plain. Probably because this is a old Country Club. They use peanut oil to fry the shrimp which was not very kid friendly to my grandchildren. Our waitress was great but the other servers did not seem to excited to be working. The food was good but not great for the price. You get one side with your entree