653 Thalia Road
Virginia Beach, VA 23452Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.steinys.com/
- Phone: 7573401156x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Special hours for private parties available
Closed Christmas Day, New Year's Day, Thanksgiving Day
Special holiday hours on Easter, Mother's Day, Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Our catering staff produces a seamless event with little to no effort from you. We love a challenge and will work to make your wish list a reality within your budget.
A word from Steinhilber's Restaurant
A tidewater tradition, this family owned and operated restaurant has been serving the finest seafood and steaks for over 70 years. Join Steinhilber's for dinner on any occasion.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Steinhilber's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Virginia Beach ›
Steinhilber's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
199 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (152)scenic view (148)romantic (125)great for outdoor dining (118)neighborhood gem (99)notable wine list (67)fit for foodies (67)good for groups (67)kid-friendly (12)great for brunch (9)late-night find (9)great for lunch (7)hot spot (6)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- Fire Pit FunOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/18/2014We had beautiful weather for dining outdoors. We had a table at one of the new fire pits. As always the food and service were superb! Lovely restaurant for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014One of our favorite "special occasion" restaurants anywhere. Fantastic atmosphere especially if the weather allows for outdoor dining. Wait staff is fabulous and seem genuinely engaged in making sure the evening is outstanding. Food is delicious as well, nothing is over-seasoned and the ingredients are fresh and local. Love it!!!Special Features:
- First time visit, will returnOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014This was our first visit to Steinhilbers despite many, many recommendations before. It was our Anniversary and we decided to try a place we hadn't been. We were not disappointed and will definitely return. Location, scenery, service were superb. (We ate on the outside porch.) The food was excellent also, especially the "Stiney's Fried Shrimp". The reason I dropped one star on food quality was that my side (vegetable medley) was unevenly heated, with some actual cold bites Also, my wife ordered her filet "medium" which should've had some pink in the middle, but it looked to be almost well done. She said it was excellent however and did not request to have it re-cooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Pleasant Place To DineOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/17/2014This was my first time dining here and I was pleasantly surprised as I pulled into the parking lot of this quaint dining establishment. I was again taken back by the rustic dining room with its senic view. The food was fabulous and it was hard to make a choice from the varied items on the menu, our seafood choices were excellent! As we left the restaurant we viewed the patio dining area and it was beautiful as well and features several fire tables ... warm and cozy for sure! I highly recommend a visit to this wonderful restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- McpartyDined on 9/16/2014Another great meal at a Virginia Beach landmark! ThanksSpecial Features:
- Good, but slippingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/16/2014Having dined at Steinhilber's many times over the years, my wife and I celebrated our anniversary dinner there recently. The restaurant was not very busy that night, being a Tuesday. Although we enjoyed our evening, we found the food to be not quite up to its past standards. We both had the prime rib, which was very good. My wife had the shrimp cocktail, and remarked that it was the best she ever had, from the plump, sweet, nicely spiced shrimp to the excellent sauce. I had the she-crab soup, which was a bit salty, and contained lots of shell bits. We both had the sautéed mixed vegetables, which were bland and disappointing. The crème brule was delicious, and a perfect dessert. Still a fine restaurant, but needs some attention.Special Features:
- Great outdoor dininglbh0916Dined on 9/14/2014For outdoor dining in Hampton Roads, you can't beat Steinhilbers, but you can find better food at other restaurants. Food was good but not great. One of our party ordered the grilled shrimp but was brought the fried shrimp. The tomato basil salads and strawberry shortcake were superb, but our steaks were not of the quality I would have expected at this price point. I have had a better filet at Outback for a much cheaper price.Special Features:
- Wife's B'DaymissplacedyankDined on 9/14/2014Great place to dine. Food is always good. It is one of our favorite places to eat. We always go earlier in the evening and get a great table and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old SchoolDickmDined on 9/13/2014We went on a Saturday night after making reservations on Open Table. Our seating preference was for a table with a view, which we got. Much of the food could be described as "old fashioned" but in a good way, with a lot of traditional dishes that were very well prepared. The service was very gracious and attentive, and the owner circulated through the Dining Room, making sure the guests were happy. The seafood was fresh, the steak was cooked perfectly, and overall it was a very enjoyable evening. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014We were late setting reservations and were booked for 8:00 p.m. So, we took advantage of the time with a very comfortable and enjoyable gathering in the bar. Very good service from the bar tender. We were seated at about 8:15 p.m. and enjoyed a wonderful meal, were the last to leave but never rushed. Our exit (one of the staff rushed to open the door for us) was met with a warm thank you and encouraging words to please come back.Special Features:
- A Local GemWorldtravelerDined on 9/12/2014What a wonderful restaurant with fantastic food! The outdoor dining area was magical with the beautiful flowers and romantic lighting.Special Features:
- Wonderful for fishvegasloverVIPDined on 9/10/2014This is a special place for us. We come here from 5 hours away for a special dinner at least once a year. We came for my husbands birthday. The fish and the secret sauce are still wonderful . The steiny shrimp are to die for. As noticed by another reviewer, the service seems to have suffered here somewhat although once our courses were ordered, the food came from the kitchen like lightening. Hopefully it was just an off night. We will go again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently outstandingWoodhouse1021Dined on 9/10/2014Steinhilbers never disappoints! The fried shrimp are a must-have appetizer. Having grown up in VB, ive been coming here for years. It's a go-to place for a nice dinner with out of town guests and for celebrations.Special Features:
- Old-school with local farm produceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/7/2014Had a delightful evening here. You would not stumble on this place but well worth the trip away from the oceanfront area of Virginia Beach. Traditional menu of seafood and steaks accompanied by locally grown produce by the restaurant owner. ENjoyed meeting her and hearing of the family history. Great crab cake with fresh veggies. Only reason not to give 5 stars as the mixed drinks ordered by the table were not great. Stick to the basics from the bar. Good wine selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner on the patioMsBLDined on 9/6/2014We always choose Steinhilbers when we have a special occasion. We can always count on the best food, service and ambiance. We sat outside, it was very special. I had the caprese salad, with home grown tomatoes and herbs, the best I've ever had. We've never been disappointed with this restaurant, in the 20 years we've been going here. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bomb dot comBigBrinxDined on 9/5/2014We really enjoyed the atmosphere and the service was absolutely wonderful. We we treated with the utmost respect and courtesy the entire evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steinhilber's shrimpPonchiDined on 9/3/2014The weather was a bit too warm for dining outside so we sat in the windowed room which is often used for groups. It was lovely. The shrimp dinner was excellent. There is no place like Steinhilber's for fried shrimp.The salad and sides were delicious,too. The service was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steinhilber'sButchDined on 9/2/2014We had not been to "Steiney's" in over 40 years, and it was all we remembered and more. We are already planning our next visit, and have spoken with another couple who want to go with us. The food is better than good, the ambiance is VERY Tidewater Virginia, and the personnel make you feel "at home".Special Features:
- Great fried shrimpBillyboyDined on 9/1/2014The interior is very plain. Probably because this is a old Country Club. They use peanut oil to fry the shrimp which was not very kid friendly to my grandchildren. Our waitress was great but the other servers did not seem to excited to be working. The food was good but not great for the price. You get one side with your entree
- Food Very Good Service Not So GoodWAHIIIDined on 8/31/2014This has long been a special occasion location for our family but the owners struggle to maintain this special place. Food is still very good, but more tables add to congestion and high noise level. The signature jumbo shrimp is still outstanding and steaks are a very good entree , with large cuts. Service marginal, the waiter told us he was new and his effort affected our experience. We had a long waits between ordering drinks, appetizers, waited nearly 10 minutes after salads for salt and pepper, never were offered condiments with the downsized she crab soup and then the entrees were long time coming but they were good. Owner always friendly and caring. Still a favoirite food destinationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious meal and great servicePleasedDinerDined on 8/31/2014We celebrated our anniversary at Steinhilbers. The service was prompt, but not obtrusive and the food was tastefully prepared and cooked as ordered. The salad, entre` and dessert arrived at nice intervals, not too rushed , but not leaving long waits between courses. Our table overlooked the lawn, with a view to the water. Altogether a most enjoyable dining experience!Special Features:
- A hidden gemJimRVIPDined on 8/31/2014This is a beautiful, traditional restaurant hidden in a neighborhood near citycenter. The food and the garden setting made for a delightful evening.Special Features:
- Great seafoodProbing1Dined on 8/30/2014When we want great atmosphere along with an excellent dining experience this is how go-to spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were so pleased with everything.mljbwDined on 8/29/2014The service and food were excellant! I am not waiting for a "special occassion" to return.Special Features:
- great settinggreatfoodDined on 8/29/2014I was very happy with the service everyone was really niceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SteineysLiv2eatDined on 8/28/2014Shrimp appetizer is unforgetable best ever. Everything as always is cooked to perfection. These people pay attention to every detail. Highly recomend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cerone StoneOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014Customer service was excellent and the food was great too!!!Special Features:
- Still GreatShrimperDined on 8/25/2014We have visited Steinhilber's many times over the years. They have ALWAYS been better than expected. You have not had fried shrimp until you have had their version. Coupled with a twice baked potato, your meal is then complete. Lovely setting overlooking the Lynnhaven river.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!!!PRS1Dined on 8/24/2014This is the second time that we have been back to Steinhilber's. The restaurant is on a huge stretch of land along the water in Virginia Beach. The restaurant itself has almost a historic feel to it. The service staff is very professional and attentive. The bulk of the entrees are seafood oriented and my wife says the quality is a big step above anything else in the area. Personally, I'm not a seafood person, but I can still find plenty of entree choices that I would want. There is a great wine selection and a good mix of beers on the menu.Special Features:
- Great experienceAkaqte7Dined on 8/23/2014The food and service was excellent. Very good dinning experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed.FoodProDined on 8/23/2014We were very disappointed in Steinhilber's because we had heard about it from a friend who said the food was great. After finding it (it's way back in the Thalia section of Virginia Beach) for what was to be a romantic night out at what we thought was an upscale establishment. Once there, we just found it to be too noisy, have cramped seating, and to be overpriced considering the food choices available (chicken, seafood, and steak). They had an extensive wine list, which is a plus. We go out to eat often and simply have had much better seafood and steak for far less money at other places in the area. I am sorry, but this restaurant poorly lived up to the hype that preceded our visit, and we were very disappointed.Special Features:
- Still In LoveFarmsandiDined on 8/19/2014The restaurant remains a top notch destination, due to the food and more importantly, the excellent wait staff. Michael (that's what my mom said our waiter's name was...my apologies if I got it wrong) was attentive, cheerful, and accommodating. Even though it's a 100 mile drive, our family still chooses Steinhilber's for our very special occasions. We look forward to visiting again very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/17/2014We came here for a birthday and were thrilled with the experience. We'd been here before and liked it, but this time was better than we remembered. Our food was just delicious and the whole experience from start to finish was wonderful.Special Features:
- Old friendoldfriend7823Dined on 8/17/2014While everything food, service, etc. was great, as usual, the main indoor dining room was not very busy this Sunday night. We could not understand why, with so much room in the dining room. they seated all guests in one section of the room, all crowded together. It would have been much nicer if the guests were spread out throughout the dining room. If they is there policy for whatever reason, they should reconsider on nights when it is not so busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!MelBell2003Dined on 8/16/2014A bi-annual visit for my husband and I, we celebrated our 11th anniversary over a wonderful dinner (we have gone to Steinhilber's each year!) As always, the food was absolutely excellent, as was the service. We love sitting outside on the patio on late summer nights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for that special someone!LarryDined on 8/15/2014Great service, great food in a charming setting. The expression, "You only get one chance to make a good first impression" is true. In this case, everyone at Steinhilber's went far beyond the norm to make sure we were impressed.Special Features:
- WMGMCGVIPDined on 8/15/2014Food & service is always excellent. Fried shrimp and soft shells crabs are our favorite.Special Features:
- Wonderful RestaurantSanJean14Dined on 8/14/2014We were there for our 32nd wedding anniversary and it was a very nice setting. Somewhat crowded but that means it's a desired location. Wish it had been a more intimate dining experience but it was fine. The dinner was good however food was not too warm at all. We will go again! We have shared it with our friends and family to try this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great Food, service could be betterVAFoodieDined on 8/14/2014Went here with my boss and coworker & got a great seat outside. It became clear very quickly that my waiter was new or bad. The food was excellent from their butterfly shrimp, to the petite filet, and the pecan pie. I was very happy with every bite. Only 2 things were disappointing, our waiter and the bathroom. The waiter was sub par for this 5 star place. When asked if the pecan pie was more moist or dry, he replied "neither...it is awesome". Not a fan of dry pie, I rolled the dice and welcomed an unmistakably moist and awesome slice of pie. Also dropped the check quite rudely and made fun of my coworker as we were paying. The bathroom felt like one from a Subway connected to a gas station complete with fence latch on the door.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014This spot was a nice find in Virginia Beach. The food was good, the wait staff were friendly (the owner is even hands-on, filling up our water glasses) and the view was pretty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.