653 Thalia Road
Virginia Beach, VA 23452Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.steinys.com/
- Phone: (757) 340-1156
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Special hours for private parties available
Closed Christmas Day, New Year's Day, Thanksgiving Day
Special holiday hours on Easter, Mother's Day, Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Our catering staff produces a seamless event with little to no effort from you. We love a challenge and will work to make your wish list a reality within your budget.
A word from Steinhilber's Restaurant
A tidewater tradition, this family owned and operated restaurant has been serving the finest seafood and steaks for over 70 years. Join Steinhilber's for dinner on any occasion.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Steinhilber's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Virginia Beach ›
Steinhilber's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
186 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (140)scenic view (115)romantic (112)great for outdoor dining (104)neighborhood gem (99)good for groups (60)fit for foodies (59)notable wine list (50)late-night find (13)hot spot (12)kid-friendly (7)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (5)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Always a pleasure to frequentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014We have been going to Steinhelber's for many years and the service and quality has always been consistently superior. Great service, fantastic food and an old familiar feel of old Virginia rich in history.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Gem in Virginia Beach. Should NOT be missedLuv2doWIneVIPDined on 11/22/2014Excellent restaurant choice when visiting Virginia Beach. A family run restaurant where they really care about your dining experience and food preparation. Owners are present and mingling with guests, checking to make sure they are satisfied and ever need/ want is met. Food is FABULOUS and DELICIOUS from the appetizers through the desserts. Service is outstanding and professional with much attention to details. It's a hidden gem. My husband and I got seafood. We ordered the Colossal Lobster Tail (18 oz.) and Tuna (Black/ Blue). Excellent choices which come with side choices and vegetables. You will not go home hungry. My husband and I will be returning. Highly recommend and give it the highest remarks as a DIAMOND OPENTABLE member. MUST try it...Well worth the visit. You will not be disappointed :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went to celebrate my mom's 83rd bday. Excellent!LisaDined on 11/22/2014We enjoyed the atmosphere, food and professional service. Also enjoyed a brief history on the restaurant by our waitress. The only downside is lighting in the exterior dining area. We had to use our waitress cell phone (flashlight app) to see the menu. Other than that, I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressed.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014The food was not exceptional. the "crabcakes" appetizer was really the size of miniature meatballs and was more filler than crab. The dessert however was quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful, as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/20/2014Everything was wonderful: good wine, outstanding shrimp, & a great waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prime ribOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/20/2014Suggestion. The meat was served in au jus. I did not care for it. Perhaps the waiter should ask diners whether they want that or served separately.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experience. Will definitely go backLongdistantloveDined on 11/19/2014After a 9 month deployment, this was so worthy of our first date night. Food was excellent. Service was off the charts. Hidden in a neighborhood. Can't wait to go back in the summer time to enjoy the outside ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KerouacsongsDined on 11/15/2014A delicious meal in a relaxed and guest-centric atmosphere. Service a bit slow as a simple 3-course dinner went more than two hours. But the quiet, pleasant surroundings and well=prepared food made time pass rewardingly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and service was awesomeSharonBeeneDined on 11/15/2014Loved the experience and attmosphere. Service was all I could have wished for to celebrate a special birthday. The food was perfect as was our waiter. I can't wait to return, thank you Jeannie and the rest of the staff for a very memorable evening with dear friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, service & atmosphereHezz05Dined on 11/11/2014The food was incredible. I had the New York strip, probably the best steak I've ever had. It was perfectly cooked and the flavor was amazing. We also had the shrimp appetizer which was just as delicious. We had a nice table inside by the fire. I can't wait to go back once it warms up to enjoy the beautiful outside dining area. The service was amazing as well. We truly enjoyed ourselves at Steinhilber's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/11/2014I took my girlfriend here for our 4 year anniversary dinner, and we had a great fine dining experience. The ONLY complaint I have besides the small table is that the waiter charged me for a tea that he never brought to the table. I did not realize this until I got home later that evening; otherwise, I would have said something, but other than that, we had a great evening! The food was fantastic, overall service was great, and I definitely plan on returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old CharmFun2goDined on 11/5/2014Steinhilbers is an old Virgina Beach gem. Service was impeccable. Our server, Josh, had knowledge of the menu and the wine list. He was very attentive but not intrusive. The food was delicious however, there could be more crab in the she crab soup. We had the shrimp and as usual they were delicious. For dessert I had the homemade pecan pie. It was the best pecan pie I have ever had. It wasn't to sweet like most pecan pies.My one suggestion is that the tables be separated a bit more. We were on top of the tables around us and felt a bit cramped. Jeanne, the owner, came around to check on the tables. She is very nice and truly cares about the customers and the service. I would revisit Steinhilbers again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BbrynmawrVIPDined on 11/4/2014I had not been back in years (only in VA Beach for business) and was unsure if it had held up. It did. We really enjoyed the meal. The fried shrimp are still wonderful and the Chesapeake Bay flounder (eat local) was delicious, especially with the sauted crab meat topper. Solid beer & wine list. Always loved the funky residential location on inland water. The waitstaff in short white jackets & black bow ties reinforce the old world charm & ambience.Special Features:
- One of my favorite resaturantsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/3/2014My favorite seafood restaurant in Virginia Beach. It's pricey but worth it. A great spot for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Perfect ChoiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014I hadn't been to Steinhilbers in almost 20 years...It was everything I was expecting!! Recently visited for a special occasion dinner and we decided upon Steinhilbers...It was excellent. The food is prepared perfectly, without over doing things, or trying to impress with over the top ingredients or fluff. They serve excellent quality food, expertly prepared with fantastic service. The wine list is spot on. Highly recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic Quality in Fine DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014A gem of a find. Nestled in a beautiful setting on the water of a Tidewater inlet, this is the destination if you are looking for romance, great food, and the highest level of quality in service. This is a dining experience you will not want to pass up. Impressive and relaxing, you will find every aspect of dining here something to savor. So much the top of my list, I travel 3 hours from the DC area to enjoy Steinhilbers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome night out!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Our group of five had enjoyed an afternoon out and we're looking for a nice meal at a good restaurant to complete the day, what we got was an outstanding fine dining experience in front of a warm fireplace, with great hospitality and service. A friend had recommended Steinhilbers to me and we just didn't get an opportunity to go until this past Saturday. Beautifully tucked back into the neighborhood of Thaila acres with lush surroundings and the largest Crepe Myrtles I have ever seen. The staff was quick, polite and professional, the menu was substantial with great choices for everyone. My seafood platter was great and my companions went on about their steaks through the rest of the weekend. Looking for another opportunity to visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodLocalDined on 10/31/2014I have not eaten here in about 12 years and the experience was great. We had a table overlooking the water and the service was excellent. The beer battered shrimp is even better than I remembered long ago. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone wanting a great meal.Special Features:
- Good but not great...4DogNightDined on 10/29/2014While the support staff is very attentive, they were almost too attentive. Our conversation with one another kept being disrupted by waitstaff appearing at the table to pick up a plate, refill a half full water glass, etc. It is easy to pay attention to see who is looking around for a waiter or waitress or is fully engaged in conversation with one another. The dinner rolls are usually legendary, but this was definitely not the case the night we visited. They were almost a touch stale on the perimeter and as if the kitchen lightly toasted them a bit to warm them up since perhaps they had been sitting out. Entree was excellent, but the side was only lukewarm, literally. For the amount spent, I would consider going elsewhere.Special Features:
- lovely outdoor eatingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/28/2014I recently learned that Steinhilber's had outdoor seating and chose an evening with mild weather, it was a lovely setting in the gardens surrounded by flowers. The larger tables had fire-pits for larger parties. We enjoyed the ambience much more so than indoor area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food served by great peopleFitFoodiesDined on 10/25/2014The service makes you feel like royalty. The food is always good and sometimes it's out of this world so I go whenever I'm in town. The baked colossal lobster tail is near perfect. The she crab soup is wonderful. Ask for a seat with a view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvsteinhilbersDined on 10/25/2014The service was fantastic and the fool even better. Waiter was very friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- outstanding serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/25/2014the wait staff are so superbly trained, it is a ballet to watch.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Wonderful service, wonderful atmosphere, very good foodSpecial Features:
- What it once was...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014The menu is not what it once was. It has been scaled down quite a bit and a lot of my old favorites are no longer available. The mounds of oysters on an oyster platter is now reduced to a dozen. The pecan pie has now become the size of a cake and is not quite a decadent. But overall still a great place to take that special someone out to a nice dinner.Special Features:
- great eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014Lovely restaurant, fabulous food and top notch service. The ambiance is wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth it every time!JustmeDined on 10/21/2014Steinhilber's has been a favorite of ours for years. This visit we celebrated our daughters 18th Bday and it was a wonderful experience...She had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food is perfectionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014The food is exactly what I'm always hoping for when I order seafood! Everything was cooked to perfection with the perfect amt of flavoring so that it merely enhanced the already wonderful flavor of each dish. After tasting their famous fried shrimp, I feel like I have been robbed of "real" fried shrimp my whole life! And we couldn't believe we received such fresh food so quickly!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Breelo2014Dined on 10/18/2014The atmosphere was very romantic, however it was not as great of an experience as I had hoped. First our table was very wobbly, it happens I know but nothing is more annoying than sitting at a very small table and having the table wobble the whole meal. The service was good, our waiter was very knowledgeable and helpful with the selections. The meal was the most disappointing part. My food was not hot at all, my boyfriend's meal was the same, cold and disappointing. For the price of the meal, the food should be hot and fresh tasting. It tasted like it was sitting under the lamps for a while. Overall it was nice, but I don't think I would return any time soon.Special Features:
- Interesting Experience ...2forFoodDined on 10/18/2014The food was good, but the waiter served Wahoo instead of the Puppy Drum special we ordered (at a higher price). He seemed to have totally blanked out on the order. We hadn't been to Steiney's in 10 years, returning this time for a special night out. Overall, it wasn't as great an experience as we remembered. We made reservations in advance and were placed at a cramped two-top (couldn't cross my legs under the table) in the corner near the kitchen entrance, while other couples were seated at tables for four. Plus, the AC was at a chilly temp; I was glad I brought a wrap. We're hoping it was just an off night, as this restaurant has such an excellent reputation.Special Features:
- First VisitRona7Dined on 10/18/2014This was my first visit to the restaurant and everything was wonderful. I would highly recommend it for anyone looking for a delicious meal great atmosphere and superb service. I brought my family in for a small family birthday dinner and we will be back again thank you very much for everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fried ShrimpKarenDined on 10/17/2014They are always a hit! I recommend eating outdoors - weather permitting.Special Features:
- SPECIAL OCCASIONSRonnDined on 10/17/2014If you have special request for a special occasion this restaurant does not do a very good job of doing anything for those occasions. Do your self a favor and call and talk to someone several times about what you want or it will not get done. By all means do not rely on someone reading your request and compling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for the faint of walletPattyEDined on 10/16/2014We have been going to Steinys for the last 27 yrs. much less frequently in the last few years as they have gotten quite expensive. The food is very good and the place is wonderful to celebrate a special occasion. Now, you pay more for less, and I honestly don't think it is as good as it has been in the past. But if money is no object it is quite a nice place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Renewed EnergyGinnyMarieDined on 10/11/2014After seeing the outdoor dining experience on Facebook's "I Grew Up In Virginia Beach", my sister called and said we needed to go to Steiny's again. That Saturday night five of us arrived for outdoor dining. My niece had never been to Steiny's and since it was her birthday we were delighted to share the experience. It was a little chilly and rain was forecast, but we had already decided that we were going to sit outside and chance it. So glad we did. Bart was great, knowledgeable, and made sure we were taken care of. The food is still as good as I remember but combined with the lovely garden spot and water view we had a fantastic evening. We did not choose to sit at the fire tables for fear of rain, but next time...Special Features:
- Perfect weatherGailDined on 10/10/2014The atmosphere was wonderful. It was October but the summer flowers were in full bloom. The menu is varied and the food was delicious. The wait staff is very attentive.Special Features:
- Special Occasion!!Bdgirl2Dined on 10/10/2014We really enjoyed our first visit to Steinhilbers and would definitely go again. It's a restaurant you should go for a special occasion, it's not your everyday dining spot. Service was over the top as was the whole experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Triple GreatsTrollingstoneVIPDined on 10/10/2014Great ambiance, great food, great service. Nothing more to say. Our first time experience at Steinhilber's was, as Tony the Tiger says, Greaaaat!. Sat on the patio, surrounded by plantings with a water view, service was very attentive but not overbearing and quite knowledgeable, shared a seafood main dish that was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful outdoor seatingalliatthebeachDined on 10/7/2014We love sitting on the flower covered patio, it is so peaceful. We can't wait for cooler weather to try out the fire pit tables. The fish is always fresh and prepared nicely. Service is always great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerBoatsDined on 10/6/2014Took our son for his 17th birthday. We had a great time and the food was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.