Stefan's at L.A. Farm
3000 W. Olympic Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA 90404Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Stefan's at L.A. Farm
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.stefansrestaurants.com/stefansatlafarm-home.html
- Phone: 3104494000
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11pm; Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Stefan Richter
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full Catering Service
- Special Events: Please visit stefansrestaurants.com for our Holiday Menus
A word from Stefan's at L.A. Farm
Cosmopolitan dining. Drinks with friends. Intimate private parties... All these seduce the discerning foodie and socialista to visit the new Stefan’s at L.A. Farm. A Santa Monica institution reimagined, Stefan’s at L.A. Farm is a casual bistro where celebrities and Hollywood power brokers mingle with Angelenos of all stripes. Welcome to an oasis of casual sophistication and attentive service. Sleek and modern, the dining room is festooned with American made Italian furniture, marble-topped tables and abstract artworks. Equal style and comfort is found on the patio, where guests can dine or just relax around a fire pit on leather banquettes. Its spacious bar area is equipped with two flat-screen TVs, making Stefan’s at L.A. Farm a great place to enjoy with friends and colleagues. A private wine cellar for 16 allows guests to enjoy wine tasting or host private parties. Yup, the ol’ Farm’s got a new owner. Pull up a chair and stay awhile...Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Stefan's at L.A. Farm reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (26)special occasion (24)romantic (21)good for groups (17)great for lunch (16)neighborhood gem (13)notable wine list (8)hot spot (8)great for outdoor dining (7)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (4)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Under New ManagementOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/17/2014I am lunch time regular at LA Farm. In fact, my staff calls La Farm my dining room. It is clear that the new management and new chef are looking to find their idea of the right combination. I was surprised by the new menu (after having the old menu for so long), but change is good and I am looking forward to new and wonderful choices on the menu. The menu is changing, but the service team is pretty much the same. Great service, good food, easy parking. Overall a great place for a business lunch in West Los Angeles/Santa Monica on Olympic.Special Features:
- Less than expectedJdubbVIPDined on 9/3/2014We were 1 of 2 tables at 8:00 on a Wednesday night. Our server was friendly but a little too attentive (probably because there wasn't anyone else for him to serve). Food was ok but I wouldn't say it's much better than a typical chain. I was expecting to eat TopChef food and sadly it was disappointing - artichoke was undercooked, marinated olives were cold, no arancini available, risotto was on the underdone side of al dente. Bolognese was pretty good - authentic and seemed to have homemade noodles. No complaints about the agnoloti or the wild mushroom ragout.
- Devastating ChangesBigGVIPDined on 8/16/2014I had not been to Stefan's in a few months and was floored by the terrible changes to which the place was subjected. Destroyed dining room, going from elegant and cozy to a diner in the poor area of Texas - booths missing, fireplace missing and an ugly view out the front door that had been thoughtfully covered. The menu changes were even worse. The menu is now half the size - which might not be bad except they kept the lesser half. The played it safe with standard salads, scallops, etc., getting rid of the innovative foods which had made the restaurant a place to go. It seems as if they are now playing to the people who think food is to make the body function, not the people who enjoy eating. Not to say that the food was bad, just boring
- Consistently ExcellentjrobinsonVIPDined on 8/7/2014We dine at this restaurant a lot and our anniversary dinner was excellent, as usual. My wife had the white fish and I the Halibut over resoto. Both perfectly cooked and wonderful. Ambiance is excellent and service was great.Special Features:
- DisappointingWLVMomVIPDined on 7/29/2014We went for dinner, and I don't think that this is their thing. The restaurant was empty - so, we were expecting great service. It started off amazing, but then we were forgotten about (it took 20 minutes after our glasses were empty to put in orders for second drinks). The food was just okay - not commensurate with the cost.
- Great dinnerTheLaughDined on 7/26/2014We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and the food and service was top notch. We shared everything and were in agreement that it was all top notch. The only slight disappointment was the corn risotto-style entree, which didn't wow me as the other dishes did. But overall great service, fabulous food, great enviroment.
- Where's my Nutella Creme Brûlée?NutellaDined on 7/23/2014The food was absolutely amazing! So amazing that I had them box up both desserts. I always have a panic attack when they take my food away to be boxed up. One time a restaurant gave me some else's leftovers, and it was so disappointing to see half eaten sliders when I was expecting Chicken Parmesan. Unfortunately, this happened again. They forgot to box up my Nutella Creme Brulle. This is the only reason I gave Stefan's LA Farm 4 stars.Special Features:
- Food was horribleKeepingitRealDined on 7/23/2014Literally over seasoned/salted. Even the Bibb lettuce salad they managed to screw up. Steak was ordered medium and came out burnt on the outside medium rare in the middle.
- The dine LA menu was fantasticGailsreview2014Dined on 7/19/2014I've had a very stressful couple of months, dealing with things related to my mother who has late stage alzheimers. Some friends gave me money for my birthday and this was the perfect time to use it (I'm unemployed so rarely go out to dinner). The menu options were good and the food was fantastic and the staff professional. I mentioned my situation to my server mitch. He was empathic and didn't charge me for the coffee I had with dessert. If I can afford it in the future, I would go there againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingSunshine45VIPDined on 7/19/2014We have previously had dinner at Stefan's where we had the tasting menu, which was excellent. As it was LA Restaurant week there was a different (very small) menu for a fixed price. We asked about the menu change and our waiter told us that the menu had in fact changed, and that the tasting menu (and other items) had been discontinued. He asked us to provide feedback as other people were clearly disappointed with the changes also. None of the dishes were memorable, all quite plain, it was like eating a series of ready meals. We had previously really liked this restaurant, so we're not sure if there's been a change of staff behind the scenes. It was only about half-full on a Saturday evening. We'll think twice before going again.
- Very disappointing -westsidefoodieVIPDined on 7/18/2014I haven't been to LA Farm in a long time so I thought I'd give it a try. To begin with, the service was terrible - the waiter kept ignoring us and everything was slow. My friend asked for greens as a substitution and the waiter said fine; the greens never arrived. My roast chicken was overcooked and under spiced and the mashed potatoes were thick and starchy - exactly what you don't expect at a decent restaurant. When the greens finally arrived (we had to ask twice) they were over salted and gritty - inedible. It was very disappointing and I won't be back.
- Disaster!junkgirlVIPDined on 7/18/2014The third time I've been to Stefan's-- won't be back. The previous times were terrific, but this night fell far short of our expectations. We ordered the four-course $45 prix fixe menu for Dine L.A., but it took nearly 45 minutes between courses, and we didn't even make it to the dessert. In the two hours we were there, we were ignored by wait staff, and my friend's entree never even arrived. When we asked when his meal would be served, we were told it wouldn't be served because the chef was too busy. There was no manager on staff, because, as we were told, Stefan was ill and had to go to Finland. He left the restaurant in a lurch. Our $200 meal was comped. I feel bad, as it was for my husband's birthday.
- Just so soPjayecVIPDined on 7/15/2014The service was friendly but so so. The food was just so so. I did like the covered patio as you walk in to the restaurant. It was cozy and romantic. I was disappointed. It was to bad because I really wanted to like the restaurant. Just in fairness to the restaurant is was DineLa week. Though the restaurant was not busy service should have been better, for that matter the food too.
- Great food, great portionsirthesteveDined on 7/14/2014Went for Dine LA's 4 course menu and every single course was amazing, I was definitely full and happy at the endSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently great foodluvthisplaceVIPDined on 7/12/2014Our 'go to' for nice dinner, pleasant relaxing setting with good service. The menu keeps changing- a bit disconserting when you have favorites, but there's always something that appeals. Roasted asparagus was terrific - we had it as an appetizer which we were glad for, as you could really appreciate it. Open face hamburger with 2 eggs on top - perhaps the best "upscale" hamburger ever. Roasted half chicken excellent flavor, but a bit dry, though we were there quite late in the evening. Always prefer sitting in the "patio" but the opening of the wall by the entry has made many of the patio seats less than desirable - as they have a view right out to the parking lot. Hope this is temporary as part of their update sequence.Special Features:
- Great food, service & decorFamilyfourDined on 7/10/2014Service was excellent. Everyone liked the food and the decor is terrific.Special Features:
- Solid place, time after timeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/30/2014We have been going there for several years. Every time the food is VERY high quality. The service is outstanding. We keep coming back here time after time.Special Features:
- Yum, yum food and great service !OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/28/2014Great appetizers , good size portions,super service and friendlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Be AwarechickenmanVIPDined on 6/27/2014Stefan is gone, though his name is still on the marquee. Some of the dishes remain, but the flair is gone. The small plates menu us now only available in the bar, though when we saw some of those dishes going by, we were told reluctantly (and too late) that you could order if you really wanted to. They need to get it together if they want to keep Stefan's loyalists.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/27/2014Have had dinner here but never lunch. It was delicious and a perfect spot for a lunch meeting as we could actually hear each other talk!Special Features:
- Fine, not great.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/24/2014I used to have lunch at The Farm quite often. This is the first time I've been back since it became "Stefan's". The interior is fine but doesn't feel as warm as before. The menu is new and has many interesting choices. The cobb salad was very good. The grilled ham and cheese was fine, not great but fine. Service was very good. It was a pleasant lunch, though not particularly memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodKMUCLA2014Dined on 6/13/2014Everything tastes delicious. I had the escargot and it was delicious. Their scallops are to die for. And their drinks are tasty and decent pours (could be a little heavier in my opinion but they were good)Special Features:
- A bit of a let-downDiningDesignerDined on 6/9/2014I've been to Stefan's on several occasions for lunch with clients / colleagues and have always been very impressed. I expected at least the same overall experience for dinner, but when I took my colleagues there for a celebratory dinner this week, it seemed like Stefan's had their third-string on the field. The waiter fumbled through the specials and wasn't sure how/when to refill drinks and remove plates, and someone in the kitchen wasn't clear on the differences between pan-searing and deep-frying, rendering a lovely piece of halibut all but inedible. At $60+ per person (we didn't even attempt dessert), I expected much more. I will not recommend writing Stefan's off just yet, but this trip wasn't worth price or time we spent.Special Features:
- What a disappointmentAnonVIPDined on 5/31/2014We made this Saturday night reservation early, informing the restaurant that we were celebrating a big anniversary with friends. They called us the day before to confirm and were again reminded that this was a celebration. The receptionist wished us a happy anniversary. We took a table in a secluded corner in the almost empty main room. We told the server about our anniversary. His response: "Oh, happy anniversary." Service was lackadaisical after that point and when the check was finally presented we realized that absolutely no further efforts were going to be made to help us celebrate. I asked to see Stephen, the owner/chef, but was told that he was out. We won't be back for any future special occasion
- Love it!junkgirlVIPDined on 5/30/2014This was our second time dining at Stefan's L.A. Farm, and just like our first visit, it was terrific! Everything was wonderful--the food, the staff, the atmosphere. I'll be going back again soon!Special Features:
- Taste is not the strong pointDZIRVIPDined on 5/30/2014The only thing positive I can say is that the portions were very generous. My salad appetizer was great but required no expertise of the chef--1/2 an iceberg lettuce covered with bacon and blue cheese. My short ribs dish was completely bland and tasteless. My wife's pasta had plenty of flavor--all from a massive amount of black pepper-no complexity totally uninteresting. Had been there once before and it was pretty good. I live in the neighborhood and was hoping it would be great, but we won't be back. Ambiance and service are very nice.Special Features:
- catbirdDined on 5/30/2014snails could have brought our food from the kitchen faster than we received it. we used a Living Social voucher for the tasting menu for 2 and were charged for the wine pairing which we didn't have.
- MY NEW FAVORITE LUNCH SPOTOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/30/2014Wonderful seafood prepared in innovative ways. Very fresh!
- The following 1040 reviews are from the Stefan's at L.A. Farm reviews archive.
- Good for business lunchTherealmjbVIPDined on 5/15/2014Had a business lunch there. though the indoor/outdoor dining area was a bit hot due to unusually warm weather, the ambience, noise level and service were fitting for a business lunch meeting. The menu is great - diverse so everyone can be happy. Food was excellent.Special Features:
- Waiting for the WaitermielcomVIPDined on 5/12/2014Now I know what the first four letters really stand for in "waiter"....WAIT. At least that was my recent luncheon dining experience. I have been to this restaurant for lunch many times and think it is wonderful. The service has always been terrific. And, of course, Stefan's food is really good. So I know I will return and hope my waiter was just having an off day.... or maybe I was having an off day. I'll "wait" and see on my next visit.Special Features:
- athenaVIPDined on 5/8/2014We went for lunch great selection had a hard time deciding. Had a simple ahi tuna salad fresh lite and perfect for lunch We were a group of 7 very accommodating . Others in the group had Scallops and Halibut no complaints ! Loved the tri color carrots and humus.Special Features:
- Where is ownership?WestsideFoodieVIPDined on 5/6/20142nd time in 3 months I've eaten here. Last time I booked private room with 8 people and after an hour we were so hot we had to ask to be re-seated and they told us their A/C was not working. A few dishes were served wrong. Seemed plausible and they handled it well. This time I went back and my wife's order was served incorrectly (wrong dish) and the manager brought a new one and comped it without us asking. Things happen. For dessert, we ordered bananas foster and it took a long time yet when it arrived it was sliced cold bananas in a sauce with alcohol taste and ice cream. I told the manager I didn't want another comp and the cooks didn't know what they were doing. Too many problems a $40 per head place. Eat elsewhere.
- weeknite dinnermistermcduffDined on 5/6/2014The restaurant is a very good looking space with great potential but the food was very ordinary and bland. The escargot had almost no flavor except for butter, not even any garlic. Had 3 different kinds of sliders that had odd sauces. I would not recommend this place to anyone as I was really expecting something special when I looked at reviews on Yelp and other sites. My dining partner was also very underwhelmed.
- Awesome service!junkgirlVIPDined on 5/5/2014We loved our experience at Stefan's overall, but the staff was the best part...hands down! The hostess and the server were friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. Wish I could remember their names so I could give them a shout-out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vacation travelSpacedaveDined on 4/10/2014We went to Stafan's based on several reviews. All the food we had was different from the usual fare and all was very well prepared. Service was relaxed, but not slow, a good balance of leaving us alone and making sure all needs were met. The server should not have asked if our main courses were good, the sole off note. I would recommend this to anyone who is satisfied with moderate plates of high quality food. They are not easy to find. Once you come into the complex, not obvious. Luckily the valet service flagged us down and pointed us in the right direction. I could not tell if there was a free parking area, but that night I was quite happy to have someone take care of my rental car and provide assistance finding the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service not up to snuff this timeLindaluVIPDined on 4/5/2014This was our third time at Stefan's. The food is wonderful and the space is great. We've never had a complaint before. Service was fairly slow especially considering that the restaurant wasn't full. We hadn't been there in a almost a year and while the food is very good we were a little disappointed that the menu hadn't really changed in that time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!KaplraDined on 4/5/2014Had a great night of drinks, food & friends, Cheers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place to EatjrobinsonVIPDined on 3/29/2014As usual, we had a terrific meal at this restaurant. They got a little busy as the evening progressed but our waiter comped us our deserts which took too long to arrive. I had the whitefish which was great and wife and grandson had the mushroom ravioli with a cream sauce; a great dish.Special Features:
- Always delicious & delightfulluvthisplaceVIPDined on 3/26/2014Unique dishes/flavor combinations, many available in appetizer or small plates for foodies. Love the "patio" (indoors, but outdoor feel), with fire pits, etc. Menu changes frequently, but we had: Terrific pork belly with a "sauerkraut-type" condiment (we had as appetizer, available as main) Beet and citrus salad (wonderful) Lamb with a side of the most amazing grits with truffle oil Service professional, very pleasant, helpful and excellent overal, except for the occassional time that they seem to disappear.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small portions but not balancedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/18/2014Small portions but not balanced by outstanding flavor. They need to go one way or the otherSpecial Features: