3180 Welborn St.
Dallas, TX 75219Neighborhood:
Turtle Creek / Oak Lawn
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.steelrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2142199908x
- Hours of Operation:
Happy Hour: 5pm - 7pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese
- Executive Chef: Jason West
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Available for all size events such as private office parties and home catering.
- Private Party Facilities: The dining room is available to book for private parties.
Contact us for special group prix-fixe menus.
- Private Party Contact: Cary Bass 2142199908x
- Special Events: NEW WEEKDAY HAPPY HOUR
Join us in the lounge on every
Monday - Friday from 5:00-7:00pm
for $3 off cocktails, draft beers, glasses of wine & glasses of sake.
We have a changing menu of Asian share plates and select
sushi maki rolls at a special happy hour price of $4 each.
A word from Steel
Steel’s interior design expresses a Zen theme. Steel serves authentic Japanese & Indo-chine (Vietnamese) cuisine, a sushi bar with fresh seafood flown in daily, and a walk-in wine cellar with wine collection of over 1000 boutique vineyards. Steel is located in the heart of Dallas, Oak Lawn / Turtle Creek, just a few minutes from downtown. Hold on to your chopsticks!!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Steel reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (35)fit for foodies (31)romantic (29)neighborhood gem (19)notable wine list (17)good for groups (17)hot spot (15)great for lunch (13)late-night find (9)vibrant bar scene (9)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Food ok. Horrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014Our waiter was simply not interested in serving our table. We had to almost tackle him to get him to take our dinner order. The food took forever (we saw men walking by us with catering trays so maybe kitchen was busy cooking for an event?). We then had to flag waiter down again for dessert order. After we ordered one dessert he satrted to leave... We had to again ask him to please stay because we were not done ordering. We used to love this place. Since the early 2000s. My wife and i had our first date there and came back for other occasions since. But this was horrible. We wont be going back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/19/2014we had not been to Steel in a long time and were pleased to find that the food is just as wonderful as always but even happier to discover that the noise level had gone down some and that is a PLUS. we will definitely return soon.Special Features:
- Special occasionsCDRTBDined on 10/17/2014we spend birthdays and anniversaries at Steel. This one was our one year anniversary. We were seated in the wine room which we had all to ourselves. It was perfect! People adjusted the temp and music so we would be comfortable. Our server was a little hurried. Not bad but not engaged in us necessarily. Another server came in looking for wine and we ended up chatting about Spanish wine. He brought us one to taste and we enjoyed the interaction. The host and manager both came by to check on us. We felt very special and will continue to choose Steel for our special nights. The food is always outstanding. Best sushi in Dallas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and experience still great.NikmVIPDined on 10/9/2014Food quality has been consistently good for over a decade.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible mealFoodieVIPDined on 10/8/2014I usually love steel, however, my miso sea bass was totally burnet and tasted horrible. I told the manager and he did NOT do anything about it. What a terrible meal. Very disappointing for such an upscale restaurant, I expected better.Special Features:
- Satisfied CustomerFoodLoversDined on 9/25/2014Steel was a wonderful experience. The food was EXCELLENT & the service was EXCEPTIONAL. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steel is RealBigDDinerDined on 9/13/2014Went to Steel to celebrate my wife's birthday on the recommendation of a friend. We could not have been more pleased. We started with pot sticker's, which my wife is not a fan of. She liked these. We ordered the Beef Tataki and Land and Sea sushi. Tataki - AWESOME! L&S - Good. Don't need to order it again. We then had the Shaken Beef which was fantastic. My wife settled on the carrot cake for desert which she enjoyed. Our server was Ryan. Very straight forward and attentive, not flowery or smothering. I would ask for him the next time we go. Loved this restaurant.Special Features:
- Delectable diningTexaseaterDined on 9/7/2014We went on a Sunday night, half off entire wine list! Also, it was a bit quieter than usual which was great bc I brought old friends and wanted to catch up. We ordered the crab and mango spring rolls (amazing), the sea bass (best I've ever had... And I frequent Asian establishments and order the bass), a variety of sushi rolls (just good), and the prawns with sesame noodles (Delish with a capital D!) I would recommend it to anyone, our server was helpful, inviting, and delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservations not honored!KendallDined on 9/6/2014No table were available when we arrived for our reservation at 715pm. We were sat at the sushi bar. Poor service. Reservation was not honored and service at the sushi bar was exceedly poor.
- Perfect for lunchrayjr13VIPDined on 9/4/2014Absolutely no complaints. The ambiance was great, was given my special table request with no hesitation. Service was quick attentive and a seamless team effort. The execution was refreshing and exceptional without the appearance or pretense of "trying." Food was quick and tasted excellent. Perfect solution for a quick lunch in a business area. Would not hesitate to return or recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemTTinthecityDined on 8/30/2014Restaurant was recommended by a friend so decided to give it a try -- so glad I did because great experience from beginning to end! We were a party of 4 and were seated at a very nice booth -- restaurant was full but noise level was moderate so conversation with our guests were not a problem. There's an extensive menu and sushi options but most of us decided to try the restaurant week menu -- great that the restaurant let each person decide how/what they wanted to order and from which menu. The portions from the restaurant week menu were huge and flavors were bold -- we ordered a variety of food and everyone thoroughly enjoyed their food. The molten chocolate cake was perfect end to a great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Asian fusionLuv2eatVIPDined on 8/29/2014We went for restaurant week. The appetizer was great. The main entree of short ribs were a little dry but the overall flavor was excellent. We also got sushi and it was unbelievable. We won't be eating sushi anywhere else but Steel.Special Features:
- Tasty with wine!DoniusHCranberryDined on 8/29/2014Smallest Mussels in the world in a very tasty broth. The salmon curry was very fishy. The crab and mango rolls were delicious.
- About Luis at SteelchrispDined on 8/28/2014Luis waited on our table and did a fantastic job of staying up with each request made of him. We had a football game to get to and he made that easy for us. Food was wonderful; I would return to the restaurant for the firecracker sushi roll and the hot rock (duck). It was a wonderful meal and we enjoyed great service. I would recommend Steel for a romantic night out with friends. Ask for Luis!Special Features:
- Great serviceYesitwasgoodDined on 8/26/2014Sometimes you get good food but the service is lousy. Not at Steel. We were welcomed warmly and felt like guests all evening in this lovely dining room. Ask for David. He is a wonderful waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow serviceMisshatDined on 8/26/2014A friend and I visited here for Restaurant Week and had very slow service. After asking for the restaurant week menu our waiter made a disapproving face. He took our order after what seemed like forever and throughout the meal he only came to our table to drop off new plates, never once asking how our experience or food was. Such a shame because I would have gone back it's so close to my work but after that experience I'll be taking my sushi needs elsewhere.Special Features:
- Over books their tablesDinning42Dined on 8/24/2014I made a reservation and I got there 6 minutes early I told them I had a reservation and they told me they had no open tables and it would take another 20-30 minutes to be seated. Reservations here for tables don't work because they make you wait anyways. What's the point of making a reservation if you still have to wait when you arrive. Couple came in after me with no reservation and they were told 20-30 minutes too so I guess it's useless to make a reservation you will have to wait regardless.Special Features:
- CrowdedfoodievirgoDined on 8/23/2014This places is marvelous, however, being cramped into small spaces was not appealing. Will have to try for lunch. Possibly less table on top of table and people vying for pass through in the narrow walk ways. Everywhere you walk had to be in a side step. It would be ideal if they removed some tables. Or utilized the small space better. Now i'm curious by chance to see or know how many entrees die on the floor from the tight space, or lack thereof, setup. Or maybe i was drunk. TIP sit in a booth. or at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyFoodandFunDined on 8/22/2014Dinner was excellent. Excited to return! Sushi was amazing! Fast service and friendly staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Parts of it were greatfriscogirlDined on 8/22/2014Went for restaurant week since I hadn't been there in years and realized after booking the reservation that it wasn't at the same location I had been to years ago? I liked the old location and atmosphere better. The food was still good. For my entre l I ordered the Garlic Chili Prawns with Sesame Noodles. It had great taste except for the fact that my 4 large prawns were VERY overcooked and rubbery. I could not eat them. The seasoning and the noodles were amazing though. I also got the Volcano cake for dessert and that was DELICIOUS! My friend with me ordered the same dessert and hers had no "volcano" in hers. Hers was more like dry chocolate cake. I would say that if the food was more consistent it would be great.Special Features:
- Steeltamu48Dined on 8/22/2014First time diners due to Restaurant Week. Cocktail was delicious but martini glass was chipped. Appetizer ok, entree fish was very good, but it was 20-30 minutes between courses. By the time the manager served dessert it was 7:45 when reservation was for 6:30. Don't know if kitchen the issue or server. Won't be returning.
- Girls nightnatemelcoopDined on 8/18/2014We came as girls night out for restaurant week and had a great time.Special Features:
- Was not very impressed.ArgonautDined on 8/17/2014Came here for Restaurant Week. Started with a spicy tuna roll, which they were kind of enough to substitute. It was good, but nothing spectacular. I had the Korean short ribs for my entree. Ribs had good flavor and taste, but were fatty and gristly. They were also overcooked to a point they tasted like beef jerky. The chocolate cake was the only dessert offered for the tasting menu. It was ok, a bit dry. My partner was able to substitute the apple tart and it was incredibly good, which all of us should have ordered.
- Very good, but a bit "glitz"DRinDallasVIPDined on 8/15/2014We enjoyed the food quality, variety, service, ambiance and drinks. We just thought the restaurant was trying too hard. $2400 bottles of Chateatu Latour in an Asian fusion restaurant, really? The wine/sake/cocktail menu was a novel. The server said a number of times "we have the best sushi in Dallas". And the bling of the decor was just too much. I wish they would tone it down a bit, and let the quality of the food do the talking. We'll likely go back, for the beef tataki, the sea bass and the maguro...not the Latour!
- Nicest staff w/great foodDallasHealthyGirlDined on 8/15/2014Bento box and miso outstanding. Music a little loud but the outstanding service more than made up for it! A little hard to find in high rise so go to valet instead of parking underground. too confusingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodYummyBuddhaDined on 8/15/2014Food tastes fresh and menu is inspired. Surprisingly not very busy during a weekday lunch. Valet service available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Realy good food.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/14/2014I really enjoyed the experience and the food. The service was excellent. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Asian Cusine that's AwesomeDFWDiningDivaDined on 8/11/2014We went to Steel for restaurant week lunch and it was our 1st visit. The parking is easy, restaurant is a visual experience and the dining is 5*. We had Misty for our wait person who was most personable and professional. Excellent ambiance and the taste and presentation of each dish was a work of art. Flavors were amazing and portions easily split. I highly recommend Steel for anytime and enjoyed the lunch restaurant week choices. Definitely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food & Service AmazingKimgDined on 8/11/2014Amazing food and service to match. Enjoyed a leisurely lunch on a Monday when it wasn't too crowded so conversation flowed. Dinner dining can be loud but that is just part of the atmosphere. Bento box lunch is a steal here for lunch and my companion enjoyed the KRLD Restaurant week menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor late night.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/10/2014Some items were great. Some items were a little cold. We were last table sat so a little rushed/forgottenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow serviceJenboyd72Dined on 8/2/2014Steel obviously has a few problems. We were seated right away because we did have a reservation which was at 830 pm on a Saturday night. Drinks were served pretty quickly. When we ordered our food, it took an hour to receive it. I ordered their special which came out over cooked and burnt. One of the sushi roll platters came out wrong so after waiting an hour that was even more disappointing. Overall nice place but terrible service. Not worth the money that night. We have come here before with a better experience which was in 2007. Better places to go in Frisco.
- Steel is still goodamr612Dined on 7/19/2014I first found Steel over a decade ago and have often visited on special occasions. I do not think it is quite as good as it used to be, but it is still quite nice. Unfortunately, we recently returned for our anniversary and found that they had removed both of our favorite dishes. We both found something new, but neither of us liked it quite as much as our old stand-by dishes. I am not saying we won't return as it is still a very good restaurant, but we may find a different place for special occasions.Special Features:
- Excellent RestaurantesdineDined on 7/18/2014We took a couple of friends that were visiting from out of town to this restaurant. Everybody loved their food and enjoyed the evening. The ambiance is just right for a fun night out.Special Features:
- Yummy lunchjewelryVIPDined on 7/10/2014I met a friend here for lunch and got the bento box with cod. It was delicious! Steel has been around a long time and it had been years since I had been here. I will be back soon!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but service too relaxedFresco3VIPDined on 7/10/2014My tuna tower was excellent, although I would have enjoyed it served with wonton crisps to use as dippers. I asked for some and received little wonton strips. The sea bass in the Bento Box was tough and stringy, so it was hard to eat with chopsticks - it really did need a knife and fork. The service was too relaxed and a little too inattentive for a business lunch.Special Features:
- Super Service, Cool AtmosphereCindyVIPDined on 7/6/2014Our first time at Steel and we loved it. Our server was attentive and knowledgeable. Many food choices, we skipped entrees and ordered starters to share along with some sushi. Favorites were the squid salad and the sea bass. Sunday is a great night to go, not crowded and wines are half price.Special Features:
- The following 657 reviews are from the Steel reviews archive.
- TexasbelleVIPDined on 6/28/2014Fun place. Main dish a little too spicy. Fantastic fried rice. Great for diners under 50!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BestjoeBDined on 6/28/2014Food and service were excellent. We will be back often.Special Features:
- The bestLaurieYVIPDined on 6/22/2014Fantastic food and service. New favorite. Very attentive staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Sushi, interesting winesbillpVIPDined on 6/21/2014The good - solidly tasty sushi - and the price is reflective of the quality - for example, during our visit, no farm raised, frozen cheap salmon here - real, freshly flown in wild Alaskan Salmon. Wine list was eclectic and had some notable gems. Beer on tap including a local micro brew. Served well presented. Service was attentive efficient and my water glass was never empty. Our waiter, however, needs some work and judging by other comments this appears to be an ongoing issue for them. (1) he was doused in cologne.(2) had no idea what the specials were. (3)represented a dish as being one thing, it was entirely something different and instead of apologizing and asking if we still wanted it-he served it and said, "they changed it"...Special Features: