3180 Welborn St.
Dallas, TX 75219Neighborhood:
Turtle Creek / Oak Lawn
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.steelrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2142199908x
- Hours of Operation:
Happy Hour: 5pm - 7pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese
- Executive Chef: Jason West
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Available for all size events such as private office parties and home catering.
- Private Party Facilities: The dining room is available to book for private parties.
Contact us for special group prix-fixe menus.
- Private Party Contact: Cary Bass 2142199908x
- Special Events: NEW WEEKDAY HAPPY HOUR
Join us in the lounge on every
Monday - Friday from 5:00-7:00pm
for $3 off cocktails, draft beers, glasses of wine & glasses of sake.
We have a changing menu of Asian share plates and select
sushi maki rolls at a special happy hour price of $4 each.
A word from Steel
Steel’s interior design expresses a Zen theme. Steel serves authentic Japanese & Indo-chine (Vietnamese) cuisine, a sushi bar with fresh seafood flown in daily, and a walk-in wine cellar with wine collection of over 1000 boutique vineyards. Steel is located in the heart of Dallas, Oak Lawn / Turtle Creek, just a few minutes from downtown. Hold on to your chopsticks!!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Steel reviews from OpenTable diners
90 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (44)romantic (39)fit for foodies (37)good for groups (24)notable wine list (23)neighborhood gem (21)hot spot (19)great for lunch (19)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (11)great for brunch (5)great for outdoor dining (3)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Tasty with wine!DoniusHCranberryDined on 8/29/2014Smallest Mussels in the world in a very tasty broth. The salmon curry was very fishy. The crab and mango rolls were delicious.
- Great serviceYesitwasgoodDined on 8/26/2014Sometimes you get good food but the service is lousy. Not at Steel. We were welcomed warmly and felt like guests all evening in this lovely dining room. Ask for David. He is a wonderful waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014A friend and I visited here for Restaurant Week and had very slow service. After asking for the restaurant week menu our waiter made a disapproving face. He took our order after what seemed like forever and throughout the meal he only came to our table to drop off new plates, never once asking how our experience or food was. Such a shame because I would have gone back it's so close to my work but after that experience I'll be taking my sushi needs elsewhere.Special Features:
- Over books their tablesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014I made a reservation and I got there 6 minutes early I told them I had a reservation and they told me they had no open tables and it would take another 20-30 minutes to be seated. Reservations here for tables don't work because they make you wait anyways. What's the point of making a reservation if you still have to wait when you arrive. Couple came in after me with no reservation and they were told 20-30 minutes too so I guess it's useless to make a reservation you will have to wait regardless.Special Features:
- CrowdedfoodievirgoDined on 8/23/2014This places is marvelous, however, being cramped into small spaces was not appealing. Will have to try for lunch. Possibly less table on top of table and people vying for pass through in the narrow walk ways. Everywhere you walk had to be in a side step. It would be ideal if they removed some tables. Or utilized the small space better. Now i'm curious by chance to see or know how many entrees die on the floor from the tight space, or lack thereof, setup. Or maybe i was drunk. TIP sit in a booth. or at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyFoodandFunDined on 8/22/2014Dinner was excellent. Excited to return! Sushi was amazing! Fast service and friendly staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Parts of it were greatfriscogirlDined on 8/22/2014Went for restaurant week since I hadn't been there in years and realized after booking the reservation that it wasn't at the same location I had been to years ago? I liked the old location and atmosphere better. The food was still good. For my entre l I ordered the Garlic Chili Prawns with Sesame Noodles. It had great taste except for the fact that my 4 large prawns were VERY overcooked and rubbery. I could not eat them. The seasoning and the noodles were amazing though. I also got the Volcano cake for dessert and that was DELICIOUS! My friend with me ordered the same dessert and hers had no "volcano" in hers. Hers was more like dry chocolate cake. I would say that if the food was more consistent it would be great.Special Features:
- SteelOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014First time diners due to Restaurant Week. Cocktail was delicious but martini glass was chipped. Appetizer ok, entree fish was very good, but it was 20-30 minutes between courses. By the time the manager served dessert it was 7:45 when reservation was for 6:30. Don't know if kitchen the issue or server. Won't be returning.
- Girls nightnatemelcoopDined on 8/18/2014We came as girls night out for restaurant week and had a great time.Special Features:
- Very good, but a bit "glitz"DRinDallasVIPDined on 8/15/2014We enjoyed the food quality, variety, service, ambiance and drinks. We just thought the restaurant was trying too hard. $2400 bottles of Chateatu Latour in an Asian fusion restaurant, really? The wine/sake/cocktail menu was a novel. The server said a number of times "we have the best sushi in Dallas". And the bling of the decor was just too much. I wish they would tone it down a bit, and let the quality of the food do the talking. We'll likely go back, for the beef tataki, the sea bass and the maguro...not the Latour!
- Nicest staff w/great foodDallasHealthyGirlDined on 8/15/2014Bento box and miso outstanding. Music a little loud but the outstanding service more than made up for it! A little hard to find in high rise so go to valet instead of parking underground. too confusingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodYummyBuddhaDined on 8/15/2014Food tastes fresh and menu is inspired. Surprisingly not very busy during a weekday lunch. Valet service available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Realy good food.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/14/2014I really enjoyed the experience and the food. The service was excellent. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Asian Cusine that's AwesomeDFWDiningDivaDined on 8/11/2014We went to Steel for restaurant week lunch and it was our 1st visit. The parking is easy, restaurant is a visual experience and the dining is 5*. We had Misty for our wait person who was most personable and professional. Excellent ambiance and the taste and presentation of each dish was a work of art. Flavors were amazing and portions easily split. I highly recommend Steel for anytime and enjoyed the lunch restaurant week choices. Definitely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food & Service AmazingKimgDined on 8/11/2014Amazing food and service to match. Enjoyed a leisurely lunch on a Monday when it wasn't too crowded so conversation flowed. Dinner dining can be loud but that is just part of the atmosphere. Bento box lunch is a steal here for lunch and my companion enjoyed the KRLD Restaurant week menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor late night.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/10/2014Some items were great. Some items were a little cold. We were last table sat so a little rushed/forgottenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow serviceJenboyd72Dined on 8/2/2014Steel obviously has a few problems. We were seated right away because we did have a reservation which was at 830 pm on a Saturday night. Drinks were served pretty quickly. When we ordered our food, it took an hour to receive it. I ordered their special which came out over cooked and burnt. One of the sushi roll platters came out wrong so after waiting an hour that was even more disappointing. Overall nice place but terrible service. Not worth the money that night. We have come here before with a better experience which was in 2007. Better places to go in Frisco.
- Steel is still goodamr612Dined on 7/19/2014I first found Steel over a decade ago and have often visited on special occasions. I do not think it is quite as good as it used to be, but it is still quite nice. Unfortunately, we recently returned for our anniversary and found that they had removed both of our favorite dishes. We both found something new, but neither of us liked it quite as much as our old stand-by dishes. I am not saying we won't return as it is still a very good restaurant, but we may find a different place for special occasions.Special Features:
- Excellent RestaurantesdineDined on 7/18/2014We took a couple of friends that were visiting from out of town to this restaurant. Everybody loved their food and enjoyed the evening. The ambiance is just right for a fun night out.Special Features:
- Yummy lunchjewelryVIPDined on 7/10/2014I met a friend here for lunch and got the bento box with cod. It was delicious! Steel has been around a long time and it had been years since I had been here. I will be back soon!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but service too relaxedFresco3VIPDined on 7/10/2014My tuna tower was excellent, although I would have enjoyed it served with wonton crisps to use as dippers. I asked for some and received little wonton strips. The sea bass in the Bento Box was tough and stringy, so it was hard to eat with chopsticks - it really did need a knife and fork. The service was too relaxed and a little too inattentive for a business lunch.Special Features:
- Super Service, Cool AtmosphereCindyVIPDined on 7/6/2014Our first time at Steel and we loved it. Our server was attentive and knowledgeable. Many food choices, we skipped entrees and ordered starters to share along with some sushi. Favorites were the squid salad and the sea bass. Sunday is a great night to go, not crowded and wines are half price.Special Features:
- TexasbelleVIPDined on 6/28/2014Fun place. Main dish a little too spicy. Fantastic fried rice. Great for diners under 50!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BestjoeBDined on 6/28/2014Food and service were excellent. We will be back often.Special Features:
- The bestLaurieYVIPDined on 6/22/2014Fantastic food and service. New favorite. Very attentive staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Sushi, interesting winesbillpVIPDined on 6/21/2014The good - solidly tasty sushi - and the price is reflective of the quality - for example, during our visit, no farm raised, frozen cheap salmon here - real, freshly flown in wild Alaskan Salmon. Wine list was eclectic and had some notable gems. Beer on tap including a local micro brew. Served well presented. Service was attentive efficient and my water glass was never empty. Our waiter, however, needs some work and judging by other comments this appears to be an ongoing issue for them. (1) he was doused in cologne.(2) had no idea what the specials were. (3)represented a dish as being one thing, it was entirely something different and instead of apologizing and asking if we still wanted it-he served it and said, "they changed it"...Special Features:
- Great romantic dinnerdpsgmailDined on 6/19/2014Booked a table based on reviews, running late but were very accommodating of the reschedule. Showed up and had the table all prepared. Server helped with saki selection and we poured through the menu. Was surprised at the range of Asian cuisine; will definitely have to come back and try the others! Picked some sashimi and rolls, and ordered the baked oysters for a starter. Oysters were fantastic! Think it's only a special, but recommend. Sushi came out after and it was wonderful! The tower of tuna was really excellent. Throughout, the service was great, the ambience was so cool with the sharp, industrial look. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All SmilesLoveToEatDined on 6/15/2014The restaurant has great customer service. And we love the food. Everything is fresh and hot ready to eat.Special Features:
- SteelOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/14/2014Great sushi and sashimi. Loved the soft shell crab. Service very good. Will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at SteelFishBearsDined on 6/14/2014Was surprised and happy to see the beef, chicken and sushi combination regarding Steel. I was in Dallas on business but had a date with a ladyfriend and she found Steel - she's from Dallas. I'm a small rancher in the Hill Country and always think of Richard Bradford's book "So Far From Heaven" about cowboys thinking, "fish is food for bears" but I still like sushi and y'alls' menu was elegant and everything we had was great! Good service and the Apple Galette was the best dessert I've had, lately. Keep it up and hope to visit y'all again! Only had dinner so couldn't "specifically recommend" for anything else, reliably but would do so gladly for what I experienced personally.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lmavVIPDined on 6/7/2014My new favorite restaurant! Loved this restaurant! Food was delicious and great service! This was our first time there and already told many friends to try it. Will definitely be a frequent diner at Steel!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- elegant and deliciousdylaneatsDined on 5/31/2014Excellent service from the moment you walk in. Wine list was extensive & cocktails were delicious- try the Spanish Martini for a little variation on the classic drink. Dinner was superb!Special Features:
- Loved it!XavierVIPDined on 5/28/2014Went here two nights ago as per concierge recommendation and it rocked. Was no Nobu but certainly held its own- food was outstanding (a bit spicy at times), drinks very creative and the service was super friendly and easy going. Will go back anytime. Not sure what people were complaining about prices- maybe because I used to live in NYC I don't notice it but take my word for it: well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/24/2014Had some great seafood - salmon and sea bass. Both were great - good veggie sides. Service was very good, too. Wines were good but not great - odd that a cabernet was suggested as a wine to go with our fish. But we had an Eroica which was recommended; a bit sweet but good with the fish. Check out the bar for a drink before dinner.Special Features:
- keithVIPDined on 5/17/2014The hostesses were rude and disrespectful. If we had not been here on another visit to Dallas , I would have walked out. The waiter was excellent as was the food.
- waited 15 years...DrEPDined on 5/15/2014To dine here, and definitely won't wait that long again I can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceLaurend33Dined on 5/10/2014We were seated at table in wine room which was perfect setting for a date. The food was superb and the service was great! Highly recommend to allSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 642 reviews are from the Steel reviews archive.
- Service DisappointsIbelinDined on 4/29/2014The food at Steel is always good - but it seems one runs the risk of hitting or missing on the service.Special Features:
- Phenom & Fab!ItalynetteDined on 4/26/2014My closest girl friend and I are always looking for great sushi. We've come across some pretty nice restaurants but we both fell in love with Steel after our first visit a couple of month ago. The service was exceptional and then the sushi, omg! Perfection! The SeaBass appetizer was to die for and the unagi melts in your mouth. Of course, we could not stop there, the Chocolate Bento Box topped it off and we left two very happy girls. This is definitely our new spot. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodLove2eatVIPDined on 4/21/2014Food was good as usual...really liked the Mango spring roll.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.