Steel Creek American Whiskey Co.
Tacoma, WA 98402Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
Steel Creek American Whiskey Co.
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.steelcreekcountry.com/
- Phone: (253) 627-1229
- Hours of Operation:
Monday: Closed | Tuesday: 4:30pm - 11pm | Wednesday: 4:30pm - 11pm | Thursday: 4:30pm - 2am | Friday: 4:30pm - 2am | Saturday: 4:30pm - 2am | Sunday: Closed
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Let the experienced staff at Steel Creek take care of all the details of your next event. Our spacious Broadway Room is the ideal space for groups of 25 to 75 including a 125 inch projection screen, full size pool table and other entertaining amenities. Contact Razhida Pope at 253.627.1229 for more details.
- Special Events: Let the experienced staff at Steel Creek take care of all the details of your next event. Our spacious Broadway Room is the ideal space for groups of 25 to 75 including a 125 inch projection screen, full size pool table and other entertaining amenities. Contact Razhida Pope at 253.627.1229 for more details.
A word from Steel Creek American Whiskey Co.
Steel Creek American Whiskey Co. is Downtown Tacoma's Steakhouse & country bar. A full service restaurant during the week & the largest 21+ country party in the south sound after 9pm Thursday - Saturday.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Steel Creek American Whiskey Co. reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (12)vibrant bar scene (10)hot spot (9)neighborhood gem (5)late-night find (5)special occasion (4)kid-friendly (3)fit for foodies (2)Show More
- Very GoodlovegoodfoodDined on 11/21/2014My daughter and I went to Steel Creek for dinner before the Jeff Bridges show at the Pantages Theatre. Our server, I think her name was Raeanne, was delightful. She helped us choose one of their specialty cocktails and was very knowledgeable. We split the lobster macaroni and cheese and the 12 oz prime rib. Both were very good. We didn't find a lot of lobster in the macaroni but the cheese sauce was quite tasty. We ordered the prime rib rare and it was done perfectly. The meat was flavorful and tender. We had a great experience and made it to the show on time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointing prime rib toughest meat ever.KingkevlarDined on 11/14/2014Had a difficult time cutting it with a steak knife. However my daughter had recommend the prime rib on her last visit it was good. Also I thought $8.50 for a margarita was steep.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/13/2014Best bread pudding I have ever tried and the lobster mac and cheese OMG! The wife and I will definitely be back to try more dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placecraigswifeDined on 10/2/2014Great food and service. Kids before 9 because after its a big County bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodJanieVIPDined on 9/23/2014We never received our points. Otherwise it was great!I would recommend this to a friend.
- sgrgrl81Dined on 8/30/2014I celebrated my 33rd birthday, which gave my girlfriends and I a reason to dress up our cowgirl boots. We had a decent dinner (my steak was cooked to my asking, but the sides were sparse. I literally had 8 green beans on my plate and the potatoes were plain and dry. My friend was served cold onion rings) The bull was a hoot to watch -and ride!! We all were very disappointed that the dance floor seemed to be for only those that could 2 step or 10 step. There were only 3 songs that were 'open dance' according to the dj. We were a bunch of girls that just wanted to dance however we dance, sing along to some country tunes and have fun. We felt sidelined and intimidated by the couples using the entire floor for their choreographed moves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place.AshleeHarveyDined on 8/16/2014We went to Steel Creek for a friends birthday and again for Bachelorette party, and had a blast, although I'd change the dance floor up a bit, I feel if you're not a good dancer or know those paticular dances you're not aloud on the floor, I feel everyone should get to go out and have fun.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014The food was very good and reasonably priced. I will definitely come back!Special Features:
- Great night outChristDined on 8/9/2014Great time at steel creek but they had drink special and good. Lots of fun for sureSpecial Features:
- Great placeSafetydinkDined on 8/8/2014It isn't often you find a place that fits in two categories so well. It is a great steak house with delicious foods and ambiance by day, and then in the evening it kicks into high gear as an country bar, with dancing, great drinks, and a fun environment. During the day, the environment is comfortable and family friendly. In the evening, the dance floor is full, and the place is bumping with country tunes, bull riding, and adults having a blast. I've gone on a romantic date here with my husband, and been here at night for dancing and drinks with the girls, in both cases, this was exactly the experience I had hoped for. Keep up the great work! I'll be back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wednesday night wonderful. ...dawnettefDined on 7/30/2014We went and had a great time... good food, molly our server was fun and attentive. We will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 29 reviews are from the Steel Creek American Whiskey Co. reviews archive.
- AllenoDined on 7/12/2014Great Place if you love country and the food is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BlahnotimpressedDined on 3/20/2014The food was mediocre at best. There were 4 of us dining and we all felt the same way. It was very early when they seated us for dinner and there were lots of tables open. They chose to seat us right next to a large party who were very noisy.Special Features:
- Good Food, Good ServiceseldomseenVIPDined on 2/28/2014Large portions at a reasonable price. Plus the service was very good. My wife, who is a gluten-free vegetarian, asked several questions about menu items and our server happily found answers for her. Then she ordered something not on the menu and was gladly served. There was a bit of mix up on her sauce, and the server's manager came out to make sure everything was all right. They went out of their way to see my wife enjoyed her meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Western theme in Downtown TacomaRickDined on 2/15/2014We were at Steel Creek for an early dinner on Saturday night. A lot of money was spent on the western decor and the placed looked very nice. Food was very good and if you can get there for happy hour, the starters are good and very reasonably priced. We had the half pound of peel and eat shrimp. Big portions at a bargain price. Sandwiches were also very good. Very nice whiskey list which is what you would expect if you put whiskey in your name. Did not stay long enough for the dance floor to get going or for the bar to fill up. The atmosphere might change some when they get going. Also witnessed a wedding taking place. Very cute couple.Special Features:
- Nice placegreatexperincesDined on 2/14/2014used to be the Vasity, same owner but now much better atmosphere, rebuilt and looks very nice. the woodwork makes the place stand out. Food was very good, just right for the portions. Our Waitress was very personable and we enjoyed talking to her. She was attentive and couldn't have asked for anything better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Space for large groupsFamilyCloverDined on 2/14/2014Great place for large groups plenty of space. It was empty on Valentines day, not sure why. Food was ok, server did not ask how we wanted the meat cooked so by the time we told her I guess it was to late. Needless to say it was not cooked right. Did not stay for the night scene so it may have gotten better. The mechanical bull was actually painted black and white like a cow. Now sure how it worked but appeared to not have enough space.Special Features:
- GreatWolffyDined on 1/24/2014Food was really good, drinks were great, after 9pm it's a kicking country club!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow service at firstOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/16/2014After we were seated and brought water no one came back to take our order after 25 minutes we had to track down a random waitress who then came over to our table and apologized for the other server. By the way there was only one other couple in the resturant besides us so I don't know what the problem was. The waitress who took over was very nice and service was quick and the comped us an appitizer because of what happened. Food was pretty good but nothing super great. I will go back for the night life but not dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went here for a family dinner,JulieBDined on 11/23/2013Went here for a family dinner, eager to try some whiskey. The Oola Waitsburg recommended by our server was really good. It would have been nice to have a sampler tray offered. The other well drinks were small and weak. Disappointed in the artichoke dip, but HIGHLY recommend the peal and eat shrimp which had plenty for 3 people to share. 3 of us had steaks for dinner, which were good, but not great. Our other diner had a sandwich which came on a soggy bun, meh. Server was nice but a bit nervous and awkward. There were a LOT of special occasions going on ( bachelorette and birthday parties) which kind of gave the feeling of an adult Chuck E Cheese. Not sure if we will go back or not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fun!!angels52Dined on 11/9/2013I'm suprirsed I never heard of this place until looking online for a resturant in Tacoma! Our group of four made reservations and was seated right away upon arrival! The waitress was awesome! Customer service is number one! Food was good and it was nice to have a dinner with a great atmosphere. So at 9pm it turns into a full bar area, so music went up and a Dj came out. Very fun as long as you know how to country dance. The waitress did say on weekdays they offer classes. Otherwise we just sat and drank.. I liked how the age group was anywhere from young 20 year olds up to 60 year olds...so not a meatmarket just a great place to dance and enjoy country music around 11pm they start mixing 80's music with country which I enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BACHELORETTE PARTYOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/9/2013Just wanted to let you know that the night we were there, the hostess was terrible!!! Because of her attitude, I would NOT recommend this place to any body ever. And the push we got from all servers was to either stay all night or hurry up and leave. We were a table of ten and we came early to eat dinner. We all bought dinner and drinks and were constantly asked if we were staying all night or not. We asked nicely if we could have a table closer to the dance floor and were rudely told by the hostess "nope". REALLY GUYS?!?!? We spent money there, and could have stayed a lot longer but felt like since we weren't rowdy, planning on getting totally wasted, and weren't dressed the country part, we were not welcome at all. Thanks for nothing.Special Features:
- Just okJbatesDined on 11/8/2013The food was great but everyone seemed to be fake country lovers who were just there to stare at everyone. Go to a place where everyone feels comfortable & can dance, steel creek had an awkward tension & the two ladies at the front seating us were rude!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went out for a girls nightAhavaDined on 11/8/2013Went out for a girls night and had a blast. Loved the atmosphere and the food was fantastic. Our waitress was kind and attentive before and during our meal but after we had paid and decided to stay and have some drinks after 9 she seemed like she didn't want to help us. It was like she would avoid eye contact & our table. It didn't ruin our time but it did make it difficult to get refills on water and such.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food & service!LindaVIPDined on 10/24/2013Had lunch there & the food was amazing! The lobster mac & cheese was delicious! The service was excellent too! Very friendly. The restaurant is very spacious & atmosphere is fun. Will definitely go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not too much countryBeckyDined on 10/19/2013We were a bit skeptical about eating here because the website showed a mechanical bull. We went early for dinner (5 PM), and it was pretty empty. The country music playing was not too annoying. Food was really good. Salmon and steaks were excellent. Service was also very good. Their happy hour is one to check out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, fast foodGoodfoodseekerDined on 10/12/2013Country bar setting with great service, tasty food and fast. Works well when you need to go to the RialtoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Country Pub in the NeighborhoodBenThereDined on 7/31/2013This replaced the Varsity Grill in dtwn Tacoma. We were there for dinner (pre 8pm). Lots of families & kids/teens present. Felt a little like Red Robin. They had a large country dance floor, so I suspect the kids must leave before that? Friendly Waiters. Food better than expected, but was expensive. The menu was interesting: pub type food (burgers/sandwiches & some comfort meals), +steaks-like a formal dinner restaurant. Meat was well prepared, but the sides (potatoes, salad, & veggies), felt like they were prepared hrs ago in an assembly line. With drinks & 3 courses, it was a good $40-60 meal for wife & I-but it cost us closer to 80. Nice area, so I'd prob go back, but focus on the burgers. Probably priced more like the rest of the place.
- Friday night Karaoke a hitStephanieDined on 1/4/2013Friday night Karaoke a hit with the kids. Decent hamburgers, everything else is highly variable including food and service. When it is good, it's good, when it's not -- it's not. Can be very slow, better in evenings than at lunch overall.Special Features:
- Cool place with great food.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/5/2012Cool place with great food. THere was a party going on in the theater room--took a peek and think I will be using that room sometime soon as well!Special Features:
- Eat here if you want to eat aloneFoodiecoupleDined on 4/29/2012Food was okay, but restaurant was empty...always makes us a little nervous...Special Features:
- Nice place for a first dateOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/6/2011Good place the prices were fair & the food was good.
- Great for families and groups!ColleenVIPDined on 9/30/2011Interesting place...the food was decent the service was FANTASTIC and the unique entertainment of a live band for Kareoke was just that entertaining....great place for Families and groups.Special Features:
- Our table wasnt ready forOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/7/2011Our table wasnt ready for our group. The piano players were great. The kids have a blast dancing and singing with themSpecial Features:
- This was a last minute findKMSGourmetVIPDined on 10/18/2008This was a last minute find on an evening when we were going to a concert event at the Tacoma Dome. Nearly all restaurants were booked for the dinner hour and this was the only available one from OpenTable. We were desperate so we booked the reservation. Knowing it was a sports bar, I was a little wary. However, it worked out well. The service was very good, as was the food. Not a huge selection of wines by the glass, but what I had was quite drinkable. We got in and out with time to spare to get to the concert. I would certainly eat here again.Special Features:
- Me and my boyfriend have beenOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/10/2008Me and my boyfriend have been to Varsity Grill a handfull of times. It has a great atmosphere and great for sports fans! The food was awesome and the service was good as well. I would recomment Varsity Grill to anyone!Special Features:
- The food is always great!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/25/2008The food is always great!!! It was not busy at all and so we thought we would get our food quick but there must have been only one cook on duty that night so it took longer than expected. Also when I e-mailed to get reservations I tried for 7:00 on a Friday, party of 5 and it didn't accept it, so I tried again for 7:30 and got it, but when we got to the restaurant there was hardly anyone there.Special Features:
- Varsity Grill was a perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/25/2008Varsity Grill was a perfect atmosphere for a college graduation family gathering! The food was amazing! <-- you can't go wrong here. And the atmosphere (people and environment) was welcoming and beautiful! I would recommend to any friend! Great place!Special Features:
- Bar service was poor as wasOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/2/2008Bar service was poor as was the "all you can eat" chicken and ribs. We ordered the all you can eat and the chicken was COLD to touch each time we asked for it to be replaced and the ribs were luke warm until the end of dinner when the manager came out to speak to us. We were in a group of 6 and none of us will likely go back. Not a good experience.
- This was a good spot to eatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/2/2008This was a good spot to eat for relatively low prices. Plus my 4 year old eats for free. Staff is very pleasant and attentive. Also it is a great place to watch football.Special Features: