Steel and Rye
95 Eliot Street
Milton, MA 02186Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Steel and Rye
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://steelandrye.com/
- Phone: (617) 690-2787
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday – Thursday
Bar & Lounge 4:30 PM – 11:00 PM
Dining Room 4:30 PM – 10:00 PM
Sunday Brunch 11:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Friday – Saturday
Bar & Lounge 4:30 PM – 12:00 AM
Dining Room 4:30 PM – 11:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chris Parsons
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Steel and Rye
Steel & Rye is a restaurant and bar that features locally-sourced and regionally-inspired fare in a loft-style warehouse space.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Steel and Rye - Best Restaurants in Milton ›
Steel and Rye reviews from OpenTable diners
215 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (145)neighborhood gem (132)vibrant bar scene (100)hot spot (98)good for groups (85)special occasion (76)great for outdoor dining (51)great for brunch (39)notable wine list (37)romantic (37)kid-friendly (11)late-night find (11)great for lunch (8)scenic view (4)Show More
- Very Good!SophiaDined on 11/24/2014I've had dinner there 2 times this month. Both times were very good, Service was excellent! Last night's Salmon was excellent and the Anadama bread (home made) was wonderful. Parking is tricky during the week with no Valet service except for weekends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't say enough good things!ddemarcoVIPDined on 11/22/2014Best thing that has ever happen to Milton...foodie hangout...if your looking for the boring usual...stay away, more fun for the rest of us!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great suburban gem!Out4GoodFoodDined on 11/22/2014My husband and I went to steel and rye for his birthday and the experience did not disappoint! we absolutely loved the mussels and charcuterie plate! Next time, we're going to skip the main entrees and just order a table of small plates and dessert. And def try the "old fashioned" drink - my hubs thoroughly enjoyed it! For birthdays, they serve a special lemon meringue with a candle - nice touch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice atmosphere and creative menu.annikaTBDined on 11/22/2014Staff was very friendly; they take your coats for you and we were seated right away. Plenty of bar space if we had to wait. Booth was very comfortable and the waitress was very attentive. The arugala salad was delicious, as was the flounder with cauliflower. My husband had the thickest pork chop I've ever seen and it was quite tender. While there were no vegetarian dishes on the menu, the chef prepared a medley of vegetables for one of our guests that was fresh and well prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant and Great Bar FoodDamaliDined on 11/21/2014Don't take this the wrong way. This is what I wish bar food always tasted like. I was glad I tried the fried olives. The pepper cream cheese mixed with the salt of the olives were a perfect mix. The lamb meatballs were moist and the sauce the perfect compliment. Not a fan of the poached egg but I don't like poached eggs. The soup my wife ordered was my only disappointment. My wife loved it but I thought it was a little bland. The Carne Asada was cooked to perfection and was big enough for my wife and I to share. They even split it onto two plates. My wife loved the pumpkin trifle she ordered and the homemade lemon merengue ice cream was great. ENJOYSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AtmosphereEJLADined on 11/17/2014Loved the atmosphere and had great service, but the menu was a little strange for my taste. The food was all good, but everything seemed to have a few extra ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was hoping for more......03passatDined on 11/15/2014Special occasion. Made reservation and arived early was prompted to the bar while our table was being prepared. We enjoyed a glass of wine as the time passed. I went back to hostess station to inquire why we were waiting now 30 minutes after the reservation time... The manager stated he was sorry, our table was ready but they forgot to come get us.... We sat an order apps which were very good. the dinning experience was good. We repeatly searched for server for main course ordering as well as drinks. desert was good, bill came to quick and the search for the waiter to pay at the end was painful..... I will try this resturant again beacuse I always give establishments the benefit of doubt......
- Great Spot To DineJohnnyDined on 11/11/2014I love Steel and Rye. I have been numerous times. It is a great place to go on a romantic date, or grab a really well made cocktail. Service was a little slow but I think it had to do with where we were sitting. Brunch is absolutely fantastic on Sundays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/9/2014Our food was very good. But our kids got their dinner before we got our appetizers. They were done with their dinner and we were still waiting for appetizers. It took over an hour for us to get our meal. By the time got our meals we weren't hungry anymore.Special Features:
- tries hardLmacdonaldDined on 11/8/2014The design of the restaurant is attractive and interesting. The service staff is very good but there were too many of them with too many different jobs. For example, I got my glass for wine a good 5 minutes before the wine came. This doesn't seem like long but it made me think that something was forgotten. We also weren't informed that our menus were in our napkins which frustrated the waiter when he came to take our orders. It seems like everyone has a specific job but they aren't in sync. The menu was small with only about 6 entrees but I love the split prices with 16/30 for a smaller portion so the price of meals is great! The acoustics were fine and we could hear each-other talk. Overall-I think the flow needs some work but worthwhile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointinghermey16Dined on 11/6/2014Based on its billin,g the overall experience was much less than expected. Indifferent hostess, rigid seating policies, music too loud near the bar, food is expensive yet mediocre, sour-faced/fake-smile waitress, limited wines by-the-glass (one cabernet which was $12/glass!). The restaurant manager was not available. On a positive note the bus services were attentive and more friendly.Special Features:
- robbieDined on 11/5/2014great service , had a hamburger , its always consistent. very courteous staff including parking attendants.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceMugsy119Dined on 11/3/2014This was the second time I had dinner at Steel and Rye. I ate at the bar last time and enjoyed it. Monday night we ate in the dining room and the experience was much better. The food was delicious! The appetizer chips come with a dipping sauce that was impossible to stop eating! All of our entrees were delicious and desert was also a treat. Our server Alli was better than most. I would ask for her next time we dine there. All around it was a 5 star evening!Special Features:
- Great spotOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/1/2014First time at the restaurant and loved it. Food was delicious and creative. Atmosphere was great. High ceilings and very open. It was very busy but not so loud that you couldn't have a conversation. Wine was good, drink menu was creative.Special Features:
- Frequent dinerJustFine1223Dined on 10/30/2014Steel and Rye should be a great spot to eat or have drinks in the summer. The restaurant is a bit to loud if you are in doors. Because it is noisy, conversations are challenging. Not a great choice for either a romantic dinner. The food was good and the waitstaff attentive, and had a great personality. I would recommend this spot to the under 40 crowd.Special Features:
- Fun eveningLuluDined on 10/30/2014I met up with several friends.......none of us had dined here before. We had a drink at the bar...I checked in with the maitre'd to,let him know we were all here. He gave us some food recommendations that turned out great. Our server was really good.....close by without being intrusive. Food came at a good pace......we had appetizers and there was a decent interval before the entrees arrived....which I love. Food was good....we split the mussels and endive and pear salad which were the best. Pasta dishes were good as well. Would definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steel and RyewestbridgeyumDined on 10/29/2014Great find! This former car dealership is a fantastic addition to the south shore dining scene. It's great not to have to go into town for a great meal and atmosphere. The restaurant is a big open space and I love the decor. We sat in the bar area in a big comfy bar table that was conducive for conversation. The food was delicious and quality too. We shared the tuna ceviche, field green salad, bruschetta of some sort and the homemade pasta casserole. Oh, and the warm brownie sundae with coffee ice cream too:) All were delicious and the portion sizes were reasonable. The wait staff was plentiful and there was always someone around to help if you needed something. Next time I'm going to try the pork chop and applesauce!Special Features:
- Why go into Boston?OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/25/2014What a great find! I quite often go into Boston when I want to have an occasion dinner but found this diamond in the rough. Excellent cocktails. Food variability was outstanding. What a gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SouthShoreDinerSouthShoreDinerDined on 10/25/2014Great food and service. Mussels (and broth) are a must. Will definitely be back.
- Potential is thereOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/25/2014The service was friendly, but very uneven. We weren't sure who our waiter, waitress was for some time. We were able to order drinks quickly, but they arrived 20 minutes later, after we asked what happened to them. We also had to ask for bread. We assumed at this point it was going to be a very long dinner which turned out to be correct. We didn't mind so much since hadn't seen the other couple for some time, but still… it was excessive. The food was of good quality and the trout was very nicely done. The sides were skimpy. Two of my fellow dinners ordered the flounder and it came with broccoli rather than cauliflower as listed on the menu, although they were happy with their meal. The gooey brownie was the best of the lot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mduffyDined on 10/25/2014Seated right away in a cozy alcove table. Plenty of staff to assist us. Drinks were fabulous, dinner even better. A little pricey, but worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2014Really enjoyed my recent dinner at Steel & Rye. The flatbread app was excellent and flounder entree was very good. Portions are big so not much room for dessert so the three of us shared one. Will definitely be back and will tell friends about it as well.Special Features:
- Fun Date Night PlaceMyLuckyChickenDined on 10/25/2014Steel & Rye is a fun place to go for date night. The menu is unusual and you need to have an open mind, but there is always a classic dish or two for the less adventurous. Service is top notch.Special Features:
- Energetic, inviting, deliciousJobostonDined on 10/24/2014We used Open Table to request a good table for our anniversary meal and were so pleasantly surprised to see the perfect little spot in a nook, ready when we walked in (I always assume that everyone has the same request!). The service, while a little slow due to how busy it was, was wonderfully accommodating to all of our questions and they showed all possible attention to our experience. The food was as amazing as everyone says. They gave us a little lemon souffle for our special occasion, and we left walking on air. But, that may have been from the amazing bottle of Pinot Noir we shared. We'll be back.Special Features:
- BethDined on 10/22/2014This was a "find by accident" a few months ago. Now we make a point of suggesting it for many of our special occasions. The food is excellent and " not the average." Service is wonderful and the place is always mobbed every night. A little pricey but worth it.Special Features:
- Awesome placeSmitshDined on 10/19/2014This place is great for dinner and we just went for brunch and had the best eggs Benedict as well! So seems great for brunch too! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attention to detailQuietdinerDined on 10/18/2014The menu is varied and the food is consistent. The four of us enjoyed our meal and unrushed time together. Devon, our server, was assigned to our table. She has been our server each time we have gone and we enjoy her a lot.Special Features:
- Has a lot of potentialOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/14/2014The atmosphere, the location and the menu are all there for this restaurant to be fantastic but unfortunately the food and service hold it back. My meal of duck ham was bland and tough with the vegetables swimming in the juices of the duck making them taste greasy. The servers were pleasant but very slow to bring additional water, drinks, and even the check. This is one of the restaurants you want to love and keep going back to but its hard to justify based on the food.Special Features:
- This was a wonderful findLibbbyDined on 10/12/2014My son was visiting from New York and picked this restaurant for the 4 of us. He really reads about restaurants quite a bit before deciding. We live 40 minutes west of Boston. This was so worth it.. Will go again and tell my friends. Such a great varied menu.Special Features:
- Deja Vu at Steel & RyeChewintItUpDined on 10/11/2014My wife & I decided to head back to Steel & Rye after a conference we had attended. We made our reservation and wondered what our second time at Steel & Rye was going to be like this round. Funny enough, we were seated at the same table that we were given our first time around 2 months ago. Even funnier was that the waitress who served us our first time around, who was training at the time, was again our waitress and now a full-on waitress. It was definitely a deja vu experience that evening. The food was appropriately portioned and delicious. The ambiance was great and the environment was energetic. It was a fun evening all around.Special Features:
- Setting the bar highOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/10/2014Steel and Rye is a terrific neighborhood restaurant with exceptional service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steel and RyeCAPECRUSADERDined on 10/9/2014Food was prepared well and tasted good. Service was fantastic. Really nice inside. If I return I would sit bar side, order lots of appetizers and a burger!Pasta was tasty but very small portions. Other plates that passed by looked delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HildaVIPDined on 10/8/2014Love to come here for any occasion. Great combination of flavors.Special Features:
- Relaxed and classyDotFoodieDined on 10/7/2014The atmosphere is classy and relaxing at the same time. Hosts are welcoming and helpful and the wait staff is experienced. And what really counts is the food & wine was fabulous. Dinner was a celebration for my husbands birthday but we'll definitely return for a nice dinner out.Special Features:
- Delicious food, great environmentLMagsDined on 10/5/2014Located out of my normal areas, I was happy I ventured out to Steel & Rye. The food was well worth it and the cocktails are to die for. The restaurant is designed with a sleek industrial feel. A lot of open space preventing any tight quarters and allowing the opportunity for large groups to meet. Staff is super friendly. Brunch was delicious too! I loved the biscuit. This is definitely worth a visit.Special Features:
- Great BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/5/2014My wife and I joined 2 other couples for Steel & Rye's Sunday Brunch. We all ordered quite a variety of dishes and cocktails. Excellent Bloody's and a wide variety of brunch entrees to select from. Some brunch standards and also some very creative original brunch entrees. We all enjoyed ours tremendously. Service was very friendly and efficient also. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good choice for MiltonOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/3/2014Not many options in the Milton, MA area. This provides a nice dining experience in a hip space for those in the area.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/3/2014Awesome ambiance, delicious food - can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over -the-top for food and servicehowgoodwasit123Dined on 9/30/2014One of the best meals I've ever had, from appetizers to desserts. The chef is obviously creative and a risk-taker and it all pays off. The service is a key feature of the place: attentive without being intrusive. The prices I found to be prohibitive for frequent visits. All in all, though, a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect dinning experiancePosidenDined on 9/28/2014A must for anyone who wants to really enjoy a dinning experience with a loved one. Fun exciting atmosphere, hostess couldn't have been any more professional with a personality that you've been friends for life. Service staff was always near by to answer any questions. Drinks and food were excellent fresh and edgy. Constantly changing menu keeps me coming back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.