31 University Ave
Los Gatos, CA 95030Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Phone: 4083952722
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily 11:30am-2:15pm
Dinner: Su-Th 5:00pm-8:45pm
Dinner: F-Sa 5:00pm-9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Paul Matulich
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: As of today. STEAMER"S is still holding "The Best!" Halloween Party!........See you then!.......:)
- Cross Street: Elm Street
- Public Transit: There is a Public Bus Stop in front of the Old Town Shopping Center. Across the street from Steamer"s.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: We pretty much have 360 degree parking around Steamer"s. There is parking underneath the restaurant and across the street. All of which is Old Town parking. Public parking behind the restaurant. And, Public parking on streets and down the center of town, Underground and street level parking.
A word from Steamer's Grillhouse
We will start with this...... Since 1979, for a mere 34 years, and counting,...Steamer's is STILL AROUND! . . . . Running Ever So LARGE!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Steamer's Grillhouse - Best Restaurants in Los Gatos ›
Steamer's Grillhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
95 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (45)fit for foodies (38)great for outdoor dining (36)neighborhood gem (35)great for lunch (27)romantic (26)good for groups (25)vibrant bar scene (22)notable wine list (17)great for brunch (13)hot spot (12)kid-friendly (9)late-night find (8)scenic view (6)Show More
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014The service was slow. We had to wait for a first server visit only to find out ours had left and another was taking over. Which would be fine but he told us that and said he'd be back. It just took too long between visits and we had to ask for refills and to orderSpecial Features:
- Dinner for 6HanksterVIPDined on 8/22/2014We had a great, round table near the back. Bradley was our server and he was fantastic. Always around when needed, but never in our way. Appitizers were great, but our main course meals were the very best fish we each had every had. The SeaBass with tomato sauce was fantistic. Everthing we ate was fresh, nicely presented, and sized just right. Wine recommended was a white Sincere (Sp) and delicious. Our favorite fish resturant in the Bay Area.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceMimiDined on 8/21/2014My husband and I followed Yelp recommendation and were not disappointed. White tablecloths, elegantly casual feel, excellent waiter and service. We had the grilled mussels, full order and happy we did, fabulous! I had wild caught salmon grilled to perfection, my husband loved the short ribs. Highly recommend the peach cobbler to top off amazing dinner.Special Features:
- The Best in Town!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/18/2014ALWAYS a great meal. Never disappoints. They know how to cook fish to perfection. One of the few places in Los Gatos offering quiet dining atmosphere. Excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingEliasDined on 8/14/2014We used to love the place but not this last time. It was a disappointment. I made it clear in my reservation on opentable that it was my wife's birthday. They totally forgot that and did not make her feel special. They seemed to be understaffed that day or the person who served us was new. The salmon was below average for restaurant the is known for its good seafood. I hope this was a one off or I would never go back.
- Never disappointsTashamomDined on 8/11/2014Steamer's has always been consistently outstanding. Food, beverages and service are the best.Special Features:
- SteamersMom05112014Dined on 8/10/2014We have been coming to Steamers Grill House for many years. The service is always right on and the food is very good. They have a nice little patio to dine on away from the busy street. This is one of our favorie restaurants. The shrimp cocktail served Ceviche style is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise levelOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/9/2014The restaurant was very loud and lively inside and the outside dinner was very quiet and intimate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but NOISYGeneDined on 8/8/2014Good food, good service, but VERY NOISY. I wquld not take someone there expecting an enjoyable, intimate, romantic evening or for any other evening that requires audible conversation.Special Features:
- Excellent patio diningCarmelExplorerDined on 8/3/2014We had a great dining experience on the patio Sunday evening. The patio is not directly on the street so no loud speeding car sounds. Took our adult son who likes quantity as well as quality and they did not disappoint! Blackened red snapper was excellent - great flavor and texture. Son's steak was very generous --- husband's pepper crusted ahi tuna - prepared rare -- excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EleanoreVIPDined on 7/31/2014We have no ups or downs this time. We dine at Steamers every so often and it remains one of our favorites. Everything was positive for us this time. The lovely girl who waited on us was very good. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchCarolCVIPDined on 7/31/2014We shared a house salad, which was delicious and just right for sharing. We had the salmon--the BBQ style sauce was a little heavy-handed and overpowered the fish. I'd asked the fish be cooked through and it was on the edge of that--but at least it wasn't overcooked. And of course, the delicious bread. Very good service. I haven't been to Steamers in such a long time, but we will be back.Special Features:
- very nice dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014We had a very nice dinner at the Steamer's. The food was outstanding and cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experiencebmo405Dined on 7/19/2014Service was excellent. Food was excellent. I have been here several times and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food & ServiceChazDined on 7/18/2014I had not been to Steamer's for dinner in a very long time. My family and I decided to eat dinner and found the food service good. It was a very nice dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened to Steamers!andhandytooDined on 7/16/2014The food still met expectations, but the service was terrible. The runners and bus staff were on point, but our waitress was cold, abrupt and inattentive. I usually give people a lot of slack - you can't be "on" all the time, but this was different. Dropped menus with no comment, didn't check up, no eye contact, and when she did talk (taking our order) it was done half turned away from the table like she was waiting to run away. The kicker - not a peep about the special occasion (anniversary)!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/14/2014We enjoy Steamers. The food is always very, very good. Had a nice time. Thanks to the hostess for seating us in a quiet corner, as requested.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/12/2014We liked the restaurant and our server. The food, however, was mixed. We ordered calamari, which was tender and not over breaded or cooked crisp. The crispy prawns with coconut were a tad over cooked, but the sauce was very tasty and made the dish good enough. The house salad was worthless. The lettuce leaves were soggy (or maybe wilted) and half the salad was made up of the tough white lettuce stocks -- the dressing was not very exciting. Dinner was again, mixed. The linguine with prawns was very good. The scallops were light on scallops (3!) and VERY salty. We ate there one time before and I remember the seared Ahi Tuna was almost cooked, not seared. The menu over all looks good, but the food preparation leaves something to be desired.Special Features:
- GreatArchimagirusDined on 7/10/2014Dinner was very good The fried calamari were perfectly cooked but a little underseasoned Sea bass was delish Wine service was knowledgable & friendlySpecial Features:
- Fodd great, service ???OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/2/2014Our experience at Steamer's Grillhouse was mixed. The food selection is great and our meals were excellent, but the service was lacking. Our waiter could not be found most of the evening. We needed another bottle of wine but we were not able to get our waiter's attention, he was not visible, for some time. There were many empty tables on this Wednesday evening and I could see a reason for this lack of service to our table.Special Features:
- Sunday LunchRobertDined on 6/29/2014Nice relaxing setting, delicious seafood dominates the menu, attentive service. Would definitely go again.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceSeafoodloverDined on 6/28/2014Chose for seafood and was not disappointed. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steamer's is a Los Gatos traditionLovesToEatDined on 6/26/2014Steamer's has been in Los Gatos for so long now, that it is one of "those" places. It is difficult to have a bad meal. It is elegant in décor but friendly in attitude. Waiters are not snobs; they will make you feel relaxed. The outside patio is great. It is for the most part sheltered; there can be quite a breeze going on, but its location between the buildings makes it so you can hardly notice. But, don't get the impression that it is squeezed between the buildings .. there is plenty of room. Whether a special occasion or a last minute night out, you will enjoy it. (Obviously, the closer to the bar, the more the noise. We were on the opposite side of the room from the bar, and it was fine.)Special Features:
- Outstanding meal and service!SJKingGDined on 6/21/2014Since Steamers is a past favorite, we chose it again. Reservations were a snap on OT but we ran into traffic problems due to a major accident. We called to let them know we would be late and the hostess on the phone thanked us for calling and told us there would be no problem holding our reservation. After arriving, we were seated at a comfortable spot. The service was prompt but not rushed. My broiled swordfish was the best I've had anywhere in years and her wild salmon was grilled to perfection. Grilled specials came with a choice of sides. The vegetables were fresh and crisp and the entire meal was perfectly served. Our waiter was attentive and prompt but not overbearing, very considerate and friendly. We'll definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ALL around great restaurant!ANNEVIPDined on 6/17/2014I love the lunch meetings at Steamer's. Always great service, food and if you want wine list....light filled restaurant and just a great "feel" to get business done. Always a perfect restaurant for all needs@Special Features:
- Great serviceTwinkie4uDined on 6/14/2014They were out of one of the ingredients for a drink my father-in-law ordered. Rather than tell him they couldn't make it, they sent someone out to purchase the ingredient. My father-in law loved it. I've always had great service here.. and will be back again. I suspect my in-laws will be back as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special servicepickyeaterDined on 6/13/2014Every now and then you come across a server who makes a good meal great by being unobtrusively attentive, warm and friendly with good advice on the dishes. This was such an experience, all the serve staff were on the ball and the food lived up to the service. we will be backSpecial Features:
- Nice place for lunch in Los GatosDollyDined on 6/2/2014A friend and I had an enjoyable visit at Steamer's. The noise level was low to moderate and we had no problem conversing in normal voice level - important as we were getting together to 'catch up'. The food was good, salad chilled and shrimp fresh. Our server was excellent; he offered suggestions in a friendly, low keyed manner, he anticipated our needs and still managed to never interrupted us in mid conversation to ask how we liked the food or other similar questions that servers often interject into people's visits. He did ask, but he chose a time when we were really eating and not in heavy discussion. Much appreciated. Excellent overall experience.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerbirthdaydinnerDined on 5/25/2014The food was excellent and well prepared and the portions were large.Special Features:
- OutandaboutVIPDined on 5/24/2014Wonderfully prepared very fresh fish. The halibut was excellent and the portion was very generous. Great atmosphere and service.Special Features:
- DinnerPasoJoeDined on 5/23/2014This was a business dinner and our client liked both the food and service. Atmosphere was a bit loud, but we could hear each other across the table.Special Features:
- Outstanding RestaurantFoodieDined on 5/22/2014Steamer's is a consistently excellent restaurant with great service. They have one of the best Caesar salad anywhere. Love it for lunch since dinner can get kinda noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a very good meal.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/19/2014Foor was good. Service was good. Nothing outstanding, but very good. We have been before and will probably go again.Special Features:
- If it wasn't for the noise...EastmeetswestVIPDined on 5/17/2014Our experience would have been more enjoyable. Food was great, halibut melted in your mouth, service prompt and attentive. Only drawback was very loud group next to us. When they left the noise level went down considerably.I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuvmyfoodDined on 5/15/2014Service was great, good variety for lunch as my friend wanted something more substantial and I wanted something lighter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointingAS94110VIPDined on 5/11/2014They put together a special menu for Mother's Day brunch, but the choices were very limiting, and nothing like their ordinary menu. Having not known about the special menu in advance, we were a bit disappointed. There weren't many seafood options, which is what we were expecting of the meal. The service was okay, but not stellar. All in all, not somewhere I'd return to or recommend.
- Steamers Grillhousecupcake17Dined on 5/7/2014I have eaten at Steamers several times and have never been disappointed. The food is excellent and always very fresh. The host at the front desk this time (5/7/14) was not very friendly or welcoming, but its not usually like that. The rest of the staff are super friendly and very efficient and accommodating.Special Features:
- Ladies Night OutSmiley1rjjDined on 5/3/2014The food and service were amazing. I absolutely loved the mussels! We felt very special!Special Features:
- The following 52 reviews are from the Steamer's Grillhouse reviews archive.
- A Neighborhood Staplefood2goodDined on 4/27/2014You just can't go wrong. I've lived here forever and have watched this restaurant evolve. Food is always good. The service is always good. The atmosphere is always good. You can always count on Steamers! We always bring our own wine. . . so, the wine is excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyable evening.CindyVDined on 4/16/2014We visited for my husband's birthday. I mentioned that it was his b'day in the notes for the reservation. They gave us a nice table in a quiet area. The steamed clams were excellent, although the portion seemed a little small. The entrees were excellently prepared (scallops, and swordfish). The service was attentive. Then they brought out a Tiramisu serving with a candle in it for my husband, which was complimentary. It was a very enjoyable evening.Special Features: