31 University Ave
Los Gatos, CA 95030Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Phone: (408) 395-2722
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily 11:30am-2:15pm
Dinner: Su-Th 5:00pm-8:45pm
Dinner: F-Sa 5:00pm-9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Paul Matulich
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: As of today. STEAMER"S is still holding "The Best!" Halloween Party!........See you then!.......:)
- Cross Street: Elm Street
- Public Transit: There is a Public Bus Stop in front of the Old Town Shopping Center. Across the street from Steamer"s.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: We pretty much have 360 degree parking around Steamer"s. There is parking underneath the restaurant and across the street. All of which is Old Town parking. Public parking behind the restaurant. And, Public parking on streets and down the center of town, Underground and street level parking.
A word from Steamer's Grillhouse
We will start with this...... Since 1979, for a mere 34 years, and counting,...Steamer's is STILL AROUND! . . . . Running Ever So LARGE!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Steamer's Grillhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
95 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (46)neighborhood gem (41)great for outdoor dining (37)special occasion (36)great for lunch (33)good for groups (30)vibrant bar scene (24)romantic (23)hot spot (19)notable wine list (16)great for brunch (13)late-night find (7)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- DenBDined on 11/22/2014We were a group of 3 friends who hadn't seen each other in several months. Waiter was attentive and did not rush us.Special Features:
- Great Girls Night Out!NiesieDined on 11/21/2014My daughter was just home from college, and my husband wasn't back in town until the next day, so my daughter's and I enjoyed a delicious seafood dinner! It was the perfect place to catch up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MandyDined on 11/20/2014My son and I were there to celebrate our birthdays. The food was delicious, the seafood special linguine, and the chicken dish. However, the service was slow even though the restaurant was not full. We were hoping for a special dessert to celebrate our birthdays with, but there was none. We were told it was discontinued. We were disappointed! Sorry, we won't be back.
- Steamer's meets the markOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/16/2014Envisioned a certain type of evening, Took visiting out-of-state relatives celebrating their 15th wedding anniversary to Steamer's on a Sunday night. Food and mood was pitch perfect. Positives: Sea bass was exceptional (my dish); we all shared our entrees, everyone seemed pleased with their choice (braised short ribs, cast iron halibut, and a blackened fish of some kind were the other entrees at the table). Bread - very awesome. Negatives: Noise level in our area was pretty bad, even though it was a quiet evening in the restaurant. Not their fault,.. just noisy & rude people sitting around us. Lots of people just don't know how to speak in anything but higher decibels, unfortunately. Steamed clam appetizer: tasty, but very few clams - and we got the large size.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and bartender Juan rocks!!!WallaceDined on 11/15/2014Went for a Saturday lunch with my gf and decided to sit at the bar. We had a blast and the food was excellent-had a nice little party in my mouth. The bartender's name is Juan and he is a very engaging and fun guy-lots of laughs. My gf and I decided that Steamer's Grillhouse will be our go-to place for future rendezvous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inconsistent FoodEightyDined on 11/10/2014The service was very good. Most of the dishes were good but not all were consistent. Salads good, Pork chops and Halibut good. Steak very tough and not good but very expensive.Special Features:
- Will's LunchWillDined on 11/10/2014The four of us came in and had a great lunch. It was quiet because of the time of day. We had a very nice waitress. She met every one of our needs and was very attentive. Enjoyed every moment of our lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not their best dayoldcodgerDined on 11/5/2014I have previously been very satisfied at Steamer's. This was a disappointment. The waitress did not give the attention I am used to; the Halibut was overcooked but I was in too much of a hurry to send it back. Yes, they were very busy at 7.00pm and I was not at my best either. I will go once more.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyableunderwhelmedVIPDined on 10/23/2014We had a very enjoyable and excellent experience. Excellent service. Food was spot on. Our swordfish really couldn't have been better. Caesar salad a bit too garlicky for my taste but lettuce, anchovies, temperature and amount of dressing was just right. Very tasty apple crisp. All is all a really good meal and very good experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A reliable neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/20/2014You can always count on Steamers for good food, refined yet quiet ambience and great professional service. Just walking in reduces your stress level - relax and enjoy.Special Features:
- Excellent as usual!andrebaDined on 10/17/2014The title says it all. Enjoyed my meal immensely: a seafood risotto. The Martini was excellent also.Special Features:
- Great foodDanaVIPDined on 10/14/2014Always a favorite when I'm in Los Gatos. Professional service, great food. It is expensive, but the fish is very fresh and cooked to perfection.Special Features:
- Usually ConsistentJoeDDined on 10/10/2014The service and atmosphere made up for somewhat average tasting food which is not our usual experience at Steamers...where we've been going for years. The clam chowder and Caesar salad were their consistent selves. The linguini...a signature dish was under seasoned and the prawns were overdone. My wife usually loves the short rib was a bit dry and under sauced. Still the entrees were acceptable just not scrumptious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sam2dineVIPDined on 10/10/2014Excellent seafood. A little pricey but otherwise excellent. Extensive wine list.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/29/2014Our dinner was very good and the service was excellent. There were a number of selections of wine. Our son particularly liked the appetizers and sushi that was being served that evening.
- Fantastic MealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014My wife and I were celebrating our 15th anniversary. We had a nice quiet table. Our server Audrey was very pleasant. I had the sea bass and my wife had the halibut. Both meals were cooked to perfection. The smallest of complaints would be, even though they knew we were celebrating an anniversary, there was no small acknowledgement from the restaurant....(a drink, an appetizer, a desert). We spent $180 and that would have been a nice touch.....Overall, very good experience.
- GoodLouiseVIPDined on 9/20/2014We went to Steamers more often prior to them raising prices significantly, and reducing portion sizeSpecial Features:
- gmgrouptripDined on 9/20/2014Very disappointed in the restaurant and will not return here to eat again!Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerAnniversary18Dined on 9/20/2014Best Anniversary Dinner Ever! We brought our teenagers to dinner with us and we ate so much!! We had three appetizers, two servings of their amazing bread and of course our main meal. The sad part was that, we didn't have room for desserts. Lets just say, we all walked out of there completely happy!! Thanks Steamers for making our 18th Anniversary Dinner spectacular!Special Features:
- Disappointing Birthday DinnerAlFrescoDinerDined on 9/20/2014Remembering the nice birthday lunches I had enjoyed at Steamers with friends, i noted on our reservation that it was my mother-in-law's 91st birthday and requested an outdoor table. We were seated outdoors (nice!) but the rest of the evening was disappointing, ending with no birthday candle in the dessert we ordered, although the young woman at the next table received a candle for her birthday. In between there was having to ask multiple times for water refills and entrees that could have been better. I think I'll stay away on busy Saturday nights from now on.
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/20/2014The clam chowder was very good & flavorful. My salmon was good but a bit on the small side. My friend's Cesar salad was very good and her seafood risotto was absolutely delicious!Special Features:
- Ho Hum ExperienceProfKathleenDined on 9/13/2014For the cost, this was very disappointing. I haven't been to Steamers in years and now I know why. The food isn't bad, just not exciting and way overpriced. Will not be going back.Special Features:
- Steamer's GrillhouseDel22Dined on 9/10/2014The service was excellent. Manager stopped by on two occasions. The chef stopped by to inquire how we liked his evening special. Atmosphere excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over done AhiStitchDined on 9/9/2014The Ahi salad was overdone and the presentation looked thrown together. Very sad salad.Special Features:
- Not what it used to beInnajlVIPDined on 8/30/2014Used to be a place where you could count on a simple fresh seafood cooked well. Not anymore! My sea bass came very undercooked. Since we sat outside and lightning was poor , I butchered fish with my knife a bit to make sure it was undercooked. The waitress looked at it and agreed that it was pretty raw. The same fish came back but then of course it got overcooked. In good restaurants they would make a new one for to make sure it is good. Well another one bites the dust , too bad I love their outside seating
- Los Gatos Seafood GrillDBarryVIPDined on 8/29/2014Fun place to go for a date or with a group to relax and laugh. Steamers has great cocktails, wine list, and dining. Particularly like the fresh fish specials - last night, had the wild salmon, and someone else had the fresh halibut -- both delicious. The french fried portabella mushroom with truffle seasoning sounded good, but would have been better with potatoes. Still, it was different and okay. Chow!Special Features:
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014The service was slow. We had to wait for a first server visit only to find out ours had left and another was taking over. Which would be fine but he told us that and said he'd be back. It just took too long between visits and we had to ask for refills and to orderSpecial Features:
- Dinner for 6HanksterVIPDined on 8/22/2014We had a great, round table near the back. Bradley was our server and he was fantastic. Always around when needed, but never in our way. Appitizers were great, but our main course meals were the very best fish we each had every had. The SeaBass with tomato sauce was fantistic. Everthing we ate was fresh, nicely presented, and sized just right. Wine recommended was a white Sincere (Sp) and delicious. Our favorite fish resturant in the Bay Area.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceMimiDined on 8/21/2014My husband and I followed Yelp recommendation and were not disappointed. White tablecloths, elegantly casual feel, excellent waiter and service. We had the grilled mussels, full order and happy we did, fabulous! I had wild caught salmon grilled to perfection, my husband loved the short ribs. Highly recommend the peach cobbler to top off amazing dinner.Special Features:
- The Best in Town!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/18/2014ALWAYS a great meal. Never disappoints. They know how to cook fish to perfection. One of the few places in Los Gatos offering quiet dining atmosphere. Excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingEliasDined on 8/14/2014We used to love the place but not this last time. It was a disappointment. I made it clear in my reservation on opentable that it was my wife's birthday. They totally forgot that and did not make her feel special. They seemed to be understaffed that day or the person who served us was new. The salmon was below average for restaurant the is known for its good seafood. I hope this was a one off or I would never go back.
- Never disappointsTashamomDined on 8/11/2014Steamer's has always been consistently outstanding. Food, beverages and service are the best.Special Features:
- SteamersMom05112014Dined on 8/10/2014We have been coming to Steamers Grill House for many years. The service is always right on and the food is very good. They have a nice little patio to dine on away from the busy street. This is one of our favorie restaurants. The shrimp cocktail served Ceviche style is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise levelOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/9/2014The restaurant was very loud and lively inside and the outside dinner was very quiet and intimate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but NOISYGeneDined on 8/8/2014Good food, good service, but VERY NOISY. I wquld not take someone there expecting an enjoyable, intimate, romantic evening or for any other evening that requires audible conversation.Special Features:
- Excellent patio diningCarmelExplorerDined on 8/3/2014We had a great dining experience on the patio Sunday evening. The patio is not directly on the street so no loud speeding car sounds. Took our adult son who likes quantity as well as quality and they did not disappoint! Blackened red snapper was excellent - great flavor and texture. Son's steak was very generous --- husband's pepper crusted ahi tuna - prepared rare -- excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EleanoreVIPDined on 7/31/2014We have no ups or downs this time. We dine at Steamers every so often and it remains one of our favorites. Everything was positive for us this time. The lovely girl who waited on us was very good. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchCarolCVIPDined on 7/31/2014We shared a house salad, which was delicious and just right for sharing. We had the salmon--the BBQ style sauce was a little heavy-handed and overpowered the fish. I'd asked the fish be cooked through and it was on the edge of that--but at least it wasn't overcooked. And of course, the delicious bread. Very good service. I haven't been to Steamers in such a long time, but we will be back.Special Features:
- The following 80 reviews are from the Steamer's Grillhouse reviews archive.
- very nice dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014We had a very nice dinner at the Steamer's. The food was outstanding and cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experiencebmo405Dined on 7/19/2014Service was excellent. Food was excellent. I have been here several times and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.