85 Church Street
New Brunswick, NJ 08901Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.steakhouse85.com/
- Phone: (732) 247-8585
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Dinner: Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Monday, Tuesday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Wednesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef/Owner Brian Karluk
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact us for your off-site catering needs.
- Private Party Facilities: We have private dining rooms to accommodate parties from 8-85 people. Our menus are filled with fantastic lunch and dinner options to suit your special needs and tastes.
- Private Party Contact: Jeff Potter 7322478585
- Cross Street: George Street
- Public Transit: The restaurant is just a one minute walk from the New Brunswick stop on the NJ Transit Northeast Corridor line.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: We are located directly across the street from the Church Street Parking Deck. There is also metered parking surrounding the restaurant.
A word from Steakhouse 85
Steakhouse 85 is a 21st century rendition of the classic American Steakhouse. The menu at Steakhouse 85 is comprised of fresh and inspiring modern day interpretations of classic American cuisine, served alongside the traditional steakhouse classics we all know and love. The back bone of our menu is without a doubt our beef. Our mouth watering dry aged steaks are rubbed with a simple yet luscious combination of sea salt, black pepper and fresh herbs. They are seared on a 1200 degree cast iron grill and then broiled to your liking. Paired with a large classically designed bar, complete with savvy cocktails and a Wine Spectator award winning wine list, this steakhouse is sure to please.Continued
3 1/2 Stars - Star Ledger
Wine Spectator Award of Excellence
3 1/2 Stars - Star Ledger
Wine Spectator Award of Excellence
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Steakhouse 85 - Best Restaurants in New Brunswick ›
Steakhouse 85 reviews from OpenTable diners
100 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (70)fit for foodies (44)good for groups (43)romantic (42)notable wine list (37)neighborhood gem (26)vibrant bar scene (23)hot spot (21)great for lunch (10)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Steak was not great.TiniqueDined on 11/18/2014Joined a few college friends for dinner after work. I was looking forward to a great meal yet at Steakhouse 58 given the rival of the downtown restaurant scene in New Brunswick. Unfortunately, I found the food to be at best-ok. I ordered calamari as an appetizer. It was average. For dinner, I ordered a filet mignon and asparagus . The filet was very bland- completely lacked flavor. I am a foodie and can appreciate a great steak- especially when it's priced like a double eagle steakhouse like Del Frisco's. The food quality was like Applebee's and priced like a highend steakhouse. If it were not for an evening with great friends- I would have been completely disappointed in my evening. The location and atmosphere was good. I would not recommend at this time.Special Features:
- My Favorite PlaceRatlakDined on 11/17/2014This is the favorite date night restaurant for my girlfriend and I. We love the atmosphere, love the food and are never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!PurplepassionDined on 11/15/2014Everything was excellent. One of the best steakhouses around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good SteakhouseOpenTableDiner2013VIPDined on 11/10/2014Steakhouse 85 is a very nice place with superb service. I have never had a meal here yhat I did not enjoy. I would recommend it and return often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteaksCire55Dined on 11/5/20141st time here but it was recommended and we are thrilled we tried it out. Finally found a great steak house in NJ and right near my Alma Matter - Rutgers! The place has a great ambiance adorned with some Rutgers "swag"! Matthew, the owner is hands on, visible and welcoming. He introduced himself and made a few recommendations while we were awaiting our table at the bar! The appetizers and steaks were fantastic! Loved the sides but felt the Lobster Mac & Cheese was a bit drier than we like! Overall; great restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a NICE luncheonENJOYDined on 10/30/2014Attended a farewell lunch for some coworkers and was very pleased with the service and food. The crab cakes were amazing from the luncheon menu. Pricing was above average but so was the food. Great place!Special Features:
- My husband & I were celebratingreginafalangie53Dined on 10/29/2014his 61st birthday so we decided to have a special dinner. Our server, Eddy was excellent, the restaurant was elegant but there was a dinner party 2 tables away that were having a wonderful time, and extremely loud. My husband and i had to shout to be able to hear each other. it was not quite the romantic dinner i was hoping for. The food was excellent except for the steak. It was tasty but not as tender as he expected a $45 steak should be. We did not mention this to Eddy until the end of our meal. Eddy sincerely felt bad and offered us each an after dinner drink which was very thoughtful. Overall we enjoyed our meal but not sure if we will return. The noise level was just too much for our taste.Special Features:
- A classical experienceblackjackDined on 10/26/2014We had just attended a memorable performance by the NJ Symphony Orchestra. It was our first visit to Steakhouse 85 and it too was memorable. Our table was waiting for us as we requested. The service was friendly and knowledgeable. The wine list was impressive. Of course we all had steak which was cooked beautifully to our specifications. We also had seafood (scallops) starters which were creatively done in an orange reduction. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Pleasant surpriseFrankOKDined on 10/18/2014Found your restaurant via maps.google.com. Was pleasantly surprised by the business (and surrounding) location - felt the ambiance as soon as we walked in. Not too loud and were seated right away. Hector our waiter was a charm, very professional and polite - couldn't have asked anything more with regards to his service. Definitely will returnSpecial Features:
- Great steakhouse!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014Great for special occasions and a date night. Pricey but worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steakhouse 85 - Yes!farcrylizDined on 10/17/2014We went as 2 couples. enjoyed the $99 Prix Fixed dinner. Excellent deal and every selection was outstanding. Filet Mignon was large and perfectly cooked. Crème Brulee was fantastic. Included bottle of wine was nice touch. Service excellent without being hovering. We enjoyed a lengthy and relaxing Friday night date night without being rushed. Would definitely eat there again. Great place to celebrate a special event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/11/2014First visit to steakhouse 85. Exceeded all expectations. Food, services and ambiance incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must Go ToNoraVIPDined on 10/10/2014So glad I found this restaurant on Open Table! It was a real treat and look forward to going back the next time I am in town.Special Features:
- Fantastic date nightLikes2EatDined on 10/10/2014I've worked in New Brunswick for years and finally went to dinner at Steakhouse 85 this past Friday. We had the BEST seat; the little booth in the far corner of the restaurant. Our server (Paul?) was fantastic: he was knowledgeable and funny, observant but not smothering. The oysters were divine and the steaks could not have been more perfect. The two of us would not shut up about how mush we loved the seasoning! We originally planned to do the "Date Night" menu, but branched off in a few places. It was a wonderful evening; we weren't rushed and we were able to chat and sip between courses. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Everything was excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014We came here for our one year anniversary and it was perfect! I have been here many times before but my boyfriend had not. He is still raving about the food and he said multiple times that this was the perfect night. Thank you for making it special for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gemm1chael57Dined on 10/10/2014Been going here for a while. Service has always been excellent. Jose was our server and kep that streak alive. Food was always good but has been off the charts amazing the last few times I've visited. Medium rare fillet was freaking amazing, and served from a "date night" menu at $100 per couple. I repeat - amazing! Lastly and certainly not least in my book, Steakhouse 85 always has live music. The Jazz trio is by the entrance and music is non-intrusive for those who want to talk to background music, but just loud enough for you to hear the bass runs if you listen attentively. I luv this place for keeping live jazz alive. I'll be back real soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Booking with OpentableJustSayinDined on 10/9/2014The booking was great. The meal went well. One disappointment. Booked thru OpenTable with comment "27th Anniversary". Restaurant appeared to have no knowledge of this as I thought comments get passed along. Recommendation -- DON'T trust Opentable to inform the Restaurant of any of your special comments. Talk to Restaurant by phone as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Solid PerformanceLarryDined on 10/3/2014This restaurant is a perfect combination of a world class steakhouse and a neighborhood standout. We traveled to go here and are jealous of those who live closer as we would be weekly customers if we did. Great manager/owner who is on top of every customer, and great steaks and seafood. Prices are right on for the quality! Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfectinesDined on 9/27/2014I loved it! The fact that they have a jazz group playing is simply perfect! The food is exquisite and there was nothing to criticize!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so memorableFineFoodsDined on 9/27/2014Hello. We went to this restaurant for our anniversary and the dinner was so so. The steak was just ok and the service was fine.
- ChicaDined on 9/26/2014Memorable experience. Great food. Great wine selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steakhouse 85Restaraunt2ReviewDined on 9/22/2014Very pleasantly surprised....excellent food, very friendly atmosphere, good service.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantrxlmdDined on 9/22/2014The food and service were excellent! Would definitely dine here again.Special Features:
- Great find for college townOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/21/2014Our waiter, whose name I unfortunately can't remember, was a delight. He was friendly and knowledgeable. The food and ambiance were typical for this type of restaurant and pricing. However, my husband ordered his steak au poivre but without the sauce. They didn't seem to understand this request and just added extra pepper not crushed peppercorns. I, on the other hand, ordered my steak medium rare plus and it was done to perfection. I would recommend and will definitely visit again. Great find for a college town.Special Features:
- always a wonderful lunchMichelle612VIPDined on 9/18/201412 of us celebrated a 25 year service anniversary for an associate on Thursday. Lunch was wonderful, the food is always good. Sheakhouse 85 is a favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuvgdfoodDined on 9/17/2014As always food excellent and service was great. Best steakhouse in New Jersey !!!!Special Features:
- great dinnerkennyDined on 9/14/2014Never are we displeased with this restaurant. Have been here many times for different occasions and it's ALWAYS the same GREAT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a great steak - overdoneStitchLadyDined on 9/14/2014We visited because of the brilliant reviews. I don't know where those people ate, but it wasn't here. My steak was over cooked - I asked for Rare. Nothing to write home about. If a "Steakhouse" can't figure out how to cook a rare stake, well, you decide.
- A good experience!!!LovinglifeDined on 9/13/2014My husband and I went her for date night after catching a comedy show near by. We had reservations and were seated promptly the restaurant was moderately busy. Our server was very nice he answered all of our question regarding the menu. My husband enjoyed his delmonico and I enjoyed my filet mignon. The sides were equally as delicious. I recommend the truffle tata tots they were surprisingly delicious. I didn't have dessert I had no room left. Definitely a good choice and I will return.Special Features:
- Stand Out In The Neighborhood!JuliaBVIPDined on 9/13/2014Coming from New York we were very impressed with the fine food, service and handsome setting! The steaks were sumptuous and cooked to perfection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GO!Askier69VIPDined on 9/6/2014One of the best restaurants in New Brunswick. The owner is personally invested in making sure his guests are treated supremely well. Both the steaks and the seafood are fantastic!Special Features:
- Great ExperienceScottDined on 8/31/2014Took my wife here for her birthday the other night. Service was very attentive, food was great. Would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Service was ExceptionaltristeandlawrenceVIPDined on 8/30/2014Highs - exceptional service - the cabernet from Washington was excellent! Great steaks and lobster. My wife said the soft shell crab was the best she has had - cilantro shrimp was enjoyable - bacon also tasty - the truffle tater tots are a must have! Lows - tables are fairly close together and can get loud - especially once the band starts - food wise the bread was the only disappointment - a bit pricey but overall an enjoyable experience will definitely return againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceJen3Dined on 8/29/2014Their Friday Date Night menu is an awesome idea. Live music after 7pm. Park and Pay conveniently located across the street. Steak and seafood was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for meat lovers!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/26/2014It's all in the title. Great short rib sandwich and angus burger.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service!BBrown82014Dined on 8/24/2014Great food and great service! The Hyatt across the street highly suggested RestaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Losing interestTommyGVIPDined on 8/23/2014Its a shame, I always want to go to 85. I love the Jazz band and the dark wood in the restaurant along with the "New Brunswick college feel" it portrays but the food is just average. We went as 2 couples. I ordered a $40 Delmonico as I normally get a strip or a filet and it was just boring. The seasoning was non existent and the quality of cut was lacking. Sides or shoestring fries where Mcdonalds size. Those are not shoe string fries. Maybe they ran out and hit up McD's down the road. The other sides were undercooked and just bland. I think we may be done with 85Special Features:
- Best steak house in Middlesex.BUGSYDined on 8/22/2014Have dined in just about every steak house in the country. This one is right up there with the best of the best. This steak house would do great in NYC. Look forward to dining there again. Only thing missing on menu is potato lyonnaise as a side dish. Also they have the best steak sauce of any other steakhouse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Date Night!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014My boyfriend and I had a really nice time at Steakhouse 85. We were going to a comedy show across the street & wanted to have a nice romantic meal in walking distance. I remembered having a Date night pre-fix menu at a steak house a few months back and wanted to try again. I made the reservation on OpenTable. Real easy to do. We got there and they had our table. Service was surperb from sitting to the end. A lot of staff on had and our server was very thoughtful and made our dinning experience nice. He gave us recomendations on which pre-fix meal was good and what side would be just tasty for the meal. We both went for the Filet Migeon dinner. It was so tender and tasty. Melted in our melt. I would definatley try this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Overall, en excellent dinner. Great NY Strip steak. No flaws.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.