85 Church Street
New Brunswick, NJ 08901Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.steakhouse85.com/
- Phone: 7322478585
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Dinner: Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Monday, Tuesday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Wednesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef/Owner Brian Karluk
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact us for your off-site catering needs.
- Private Party Facilities: We have private dining rooms to accommodate parties from 8-85 people. Our menus are filled with fantastic lunch and dinner options to suit your special needs and tastes.
- Private Party Contact: Jeff Potter 7322478585
- Cross Street: George Street
- Public Transit: The restaurant is just a one minute walk from the New Brunswick stop on the NJ Transit Northeast Corridor line.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: We are located directly across the street from the Church Street Parking Deck. There is also metered parking surrounding the restaurant.
A word from Steakhouse 85
Steakhouse 85 is a 21st century rendition of the classic American Steakhouse. The menu at Steakhouse 85 is comprised of fresh and inspiring modern day interpretations of classic American cuisine, served alongside the traditional steakhouse classics we all know and love. The back bone of our menu is without a doubt our beef. Our mouth watering dry aged steaks are rubbed with a simple yet luscious combination of sea salt, black pepper and fresh herbs. They are seared on a 1200 degree cast iron grill and then broiled to your liking. Paired with a large classically designed bar, complete with savvy cocktails and a Wine Spectator award winning wine list, this steakhouse is sure to please.Continued
3 1/2 Stars - Star Ledger
Wine Spectator Award of Excellence
3 1/2 Stars - Star Ledger
Wine Spectator Award of Excellence
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Steakhouse 85 - Best Restaurants in New Brunswick ›
Steakhouse 85 reviews from OpenTable diners
118 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (84)good for groups (54)romantic (53)fit for foodies (44)notable wine list (40)neighborhood gem (35)vibrant bar scene (25)hot spot (17)great for lunch (16)late-night find (7)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great ExperienceScottDined on 8/31/2014Took my wife here for her birthday the other night. Service was very attentive, food was great. Would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Service was ExceptionaltristeandlawrenceVIPDined on 8/30/2014Highs - exceptional service - the cabernet from Washington was excellent! Great steaks and lobster. My wife said the soft shell crab was the best she has had - cilantro shrimp was enjoyable - bacon also tasty - the truffle tater tots are a must have! Lows - tables are fairly close together and can get loud - especially once the band starts - food wise the bread was the only disappointment - a bit pricey but overall an enjoyable experience will definitely return againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceJen3Dined on 8/29/2014Their Friday Date Night menu is an awesome idea. Live music after 7pm. Park and Pay conveniently located across the street. Steak and seafood was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for meat lovers!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/26/2014It's all in the title. Great short rib sandwich and angus burger.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service!BBrown82014Dined on 8/24/2014Great food and great service! The Hyatt across the street highly suggested RestaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Losing interestTommyGDined on 8/23/2014Its a shame, I always want to go to 85. I love the Jazz band and the dark wood in the restaurant along with the "New Brunswick college feel" it portrays but the food is just average. We went as 2 couples. I ordered a $40 Delmonico as I normally get a strip or a filet and it was just boring. The seasoning was non existent and the quality of cut was lacking. Sides or shoestring fries where Mcdonalds size. Those are not shoe string fries. Maybe they ran out and hit up McD's down the road. The other sides were undercooked and just bland. I think we may be done with 85Special Features:
- Best steak house in Middlesex.BUGSYDined on 8/22/2014Have dined in just about every steak house in the country. This one is right up there with the best of the best. This steak house would do great in NYC. Look forward to dining there again. Only thing missing on menu is potato lyonnaise as a side dish. Also they have the best steak sauce of any other steakhouse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Date Night!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014My boyfriend and I had a really nice time at Steakhouse 85. We were going to a comedy show across the street & wanted to have a nice romantic meal in walking distance. I remembered having a Date night pre-fix menu at a steak house a few months back and wanted to try again. I made the reservation on OpenTable. Real easy to do. We got there and they had our table. Service was surperb from sitting to the end. A lot of staff on had and our server was very thoughtful and made our dinning experience nice. He gave us recomendations on which pre-fix meal was good and what side would be just tasty for the meal. We both went for the Filet Migeon dinner. It was so tender and tasty. Melted in our melt. I would definatley try this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Overall, en excellent dinner. Great NY Strip steak. No flaws.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New York steakhouse in NJKikikellyDined on 8/20/2014The food here is consistent and delicious and makes me feel as if I am having dinner in a New York City steakhouse without having to travel as far. They do charge NYC prices though, but worth it now and then for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Steak Restaurant in NJFoodie79Dined on 8/16/2014This was our fourth time eating at Steakhouse 85 and it's always consistently wonderful! Staff is friendly and knowledgeable, the food is always delicious. And each time we've been there, the owner has been there going around to each table, making sure the diners are doing well. Great experience. Looking forward to going again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was awfulNotagainDined on 8/2/2014Haven't had a steak that bad in a very long time. Truly bad. No taste. Annoying intrusive "service" that was exhausting.Special Features:
- Good as it gets.jpnmcDined on 7/31/2014I am always amazed by the well trained and professional staff here. Always welcoming, always obliging yet never obtrusive. The steaks are what you come for and they are satisfying. But it's your loss if you don't try the seafood, either as an appetizer or entree, it's impeccable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENTRalphVIPDined on 7/28/2014Have eaten here many times but the $99 Restaurant Week Special for Two just couldn't be beat. Lobster bisque and French Onion soup, filet and pork chop, crème brulee and hot apple tart with ice cream. Everything was prepared to perfection. Almost forgot to mention the great bottle of wine included. I'm am ready to return :)
- Friday Night Date NightfoodieDined on 7/25/2014They have a great prefix Friday special. $99 for two apps, two dinners (with one side), two desserts and a bottle of wine. We had calamari and an apple salad which was delish. Main course filet mignon cooked perfectly and grouper topped with crab, one of the best fish dishes I've had. Creme brulee which is hard to mess up and and apple tart with ice cream equally as yummy. We are mistakely charged with the bottlw of wine but the waiter took it off when we showed it to him. Will definitely go back for this great deal :)Special Features:
- DinnerRatlakDined on 7/25/2014Just another great experience for a nice romantic dinner. I have been to steakhouse 85 several times and have never had a bad experience. Food is great, service is great and great atmosphere. Can't wait to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service LaxkingOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/22/2014Food was very good as usual but service was poor. Wait for main course was too long, due to a large group. Not my issue as a customer waiting for a lengthy period of time. Waiter lacked personality, follow up and the ability to sooth errors like the delay in food delivery and Expresso not properly prepared.Special Features:
- So tastyPrincesaApacibleDined on 7/22/2014I had the scallops...I know who goes to a steakhouse and order scallops. I do and they were amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date Night SpecialNJfoodiesVIPDined on 7/18/2014We had the Friday night Date Night Special which was a 3 course Price fix menu with a bottle of wine. The food was superb and the service was excellent . We will definitelt return.Special Features:
- Different Steak HouseOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/18/2014Enjoyed the food immensely. The portions are good sized and the sides are larger than the chain steakhouses (and less money too). They have a special Date Night Menu which is nicely priced and includes a bottle of wine. Two of our party had lobster and they were cooked just right. I had the large filet and it was cooked just as ordered and the steak sauce that went with it was great. The last person had wonderful salmon. Desserts came with the special dinner and the Apple Tart and Creme Brule were both good. Wine prices are reasonable by the bottle. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- PeteDined on 7/16/2014Server was excellent. Patiently explained the menu and described the thinking behind all of the steaks. Ideal for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpersonalSGINZVIPDined on 7/16/2014A bit noisy waiter nice impersonal didn't mention the restaurant week discount which I heard about the next day. Didn't mention the steak sauces. Which you pay for anyway. The vegetables, if they are meant for one person they should be smaller and cheaper. The warm coffee and cappuccino came 10 minutes prior to dessert so that ruined the evening for me. They should come together. One of the servers asked who got which dish. I expect that from mcdonalds not a high class steak houseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unbelievableluv2dinepierDined on 7/15/2014the food was unbelievable the steaks just melt in your mouth most of all the sides are the best .will Def be here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steakhouseRnewtonjrDined on 7/15/2014My wife and I went to Steakhouse 85 during New Brunswick's Restaurant Week. The food was excellent and our server, Dan, provided outstanding service. We would highly recommend this restaurant for couples or groups craving an outstanding steak or similar fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Dining ExperienceSteveGoesOutDined on 7/11/2014Truly enjoyed my dinner here. Started by looking at the Friday Special but expanded the meal to include the lobster. Filet Mignon was perfect and some of the best I've had. Lobster was also exceptional. Staff was great ! Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a NYC SteakhousebbyfceDined on 7/11/2014Disappointing steak. Ordered the signature Delmonico. Overcooked and not a great piece of meat. Everything else - appetizers, sides and service great - but left disappointed.
- Special birthdayWildcatDined on 7/11/2014Always enjoy an early dinner we like to sit side by side at the table for two.so we can both watch the bar scene and tv. I wish you had chicken franchise and Honey Jack Daniels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/10/2014We dined at this restaurant on two occasions this week, and both experiences were fantastic. They worked with us to make site our large parties were accommodated, and the foodand drinks recommendations were spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had hoped for more...QreviewDined on 7/8/2014I made reservations well in advance, but we were seated at the worst table--right by the kitchen. My scallops were OK, but they were served on a bed of tasteless onions, so it really wasn't that appealing. My husband's steak was very good. Our waitress was very nice and efficient, but the bus service kept trying to "rush" us and clear our plates before we were finished. I had a better experience when I had lunch there a few months ago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/2/2014My bf and I went for lunch. We had calamari as an appetizer and He ordered the steak and fries and I had the angus burger. I was really disappointed with my food, the burger was so salty, and the calamari was so bland and rubbery. On a positive note, the place looks really nice and the employees are very attentive. Lastly, you have to pay for parking across the street , restaurant does not validate.Special Features:
- Delightful ExperienceMarsMomDined on 6/28/2014We had a great experience at Steakhouse 85. Service was great, the meal well spaced between appetizers, entrée and desert. The food was delicious and steaks were well prepared according to everyone's preference. This was our second visit to this restaurant and once again we had a delightful experience. It is a bit on the pricey side but to be expected in a steakhouse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great foodRowdical1928Dined on 6/28/2014I have been to Steakhouse 85 on numerous occasions for business. I decided to take my wife there got our anniversary. Everything was great from the food to the service .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steakhouse 85LizLDined on 6/27/2014We went for the Friday date night special $99 and we certainly got our money's worth. Great food, excellent service and a wonderful ambiance. NYC style dining w/o the tolls and traffic! Will go back again and bring our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steakhouse 85 superbElizabet34Dined on 6/27/2014Always enjoy an exceptional meal at Steakhouse 85! We were a group of 6, steaks cooked to each person's exact desire. Sides of broccoli au gratin (my favorite) creamed spinach, and potatoes delicious. Friday Date night is such a bargain, we keep returning. Lobster fest has begun addwe will return to feast!!Special Features:
- Superb Hot SpotScarletDined on 6/25/2014Steakhouse 85 is consistently superior, in ambience, food choice and quality, and service. It's one of my favorite places!!Special Features:
- Great SteakhouseOpenTableDiner2013VIPDined on 6/23/2014This was my second time dining at Steakhouse 85 and I enjoyed it both times. I enjoy to upscale atmosphere, decor and service. I had the petite filet which was excellently seasoned and very tender. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who loves steak.Special Features:
- Nice place; very good foodVinoVeritasZZVIPDined on 6/17/2014Great place for a good meal before a show at the State Theatre. Steak house fare is done well, and seafood dishes are solid.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/16/2014Was really looking forward to a great steak dinner.My wife and I shared a 16oz ribeye it was like an ordinary choice pice of meat.The sides laked flavor and the drinks were short pours not expected in a expensive steakhouse.No parking available except at a public garage with a hourly rate.overall disappointed ..
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/16/2014Steakhouse 85 is always great. Food, service and ambience are the best New Brunswick has to offer.Special Features:
- Phil LPhilLDined on 6/15/2014The service meal and atmosphere were impeccable; that's why I'm a repeat customer. The staff goes out if their way to ensure that your dining experience is an enjoyable one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.