Steak Frites Union Square
9 East 16th Street
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Steak Frites Union Square
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.steakfritesnyc.com/
- Phone: 2126754700
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Friday 11:30am-4:30pm
Dinner: Monday-Thursday: 4:30pm-11:00pm
Brunch-Saturday & Sundays 11:00am-4:30pm
Brunch Saturday-Sunday 11:30am-5:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Semi Private Room for up to 35 seated for dinner or up to 50 guests for a cocktail party.
- Private Party Contact: Fabrice Warin 2126754700
A word from Steak Frites Union Square
Steak Frites is one of New York City’s premier French style steak houses in the heart of Union SquareContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Steak Frites Union Square reviews from OpenTable diners
- Restaurant was open...10/2/13MorzanyDined on 10/1/2013But they were auctioning off everything in it! No meal here was had! It was fine because the meal was very casual, but the management probably should have deactivated opentable. What a shame, this was a decent place!
- What happened to the steak?FresserDined on 9/30/2013Last time we were there, albeit several years ago the steak frites was an ample cut of delicious steak perfectly cooked. On this occasion two days ago the steak was a small piece of both flat strip steak and entrecôte, mediocre. Disappointing. Expected more for $250, with a bottle of wine.Special Features:
- Tasty and Well-PricedjennaegVIPDined on 9/27/2013Steak Frites has great sidewalk seating, and fairly priced food. Classic French food. The service was extremely slow, so don't come here when you're in a rush!Special Features:
- What happened to Steak Frites??AnnieDined on 9/27/2013What happened to Steak Frites?? I brought my nephew visiting from SC here because he loves steak and fries. I have been several times in the past and was always excellent. This time the crab cake was lukewarm, the frites were unsalted, the onion rings doughy, and the mussels tasted like dishwater. Everything was all wrong. Even the bernaise was bland. Ugh- is this restaurant under new ownership?!?!?! The service was attentive and the restaurant itself is beautiful. I don't understand what happened but I will not be returning.
- Acceptable food but not specialOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/27/2013A meal with friends started with a nice surprise: the restaurant was extending its 3-course Restaurant Week menu. The mussels appetizer was fine--tasty but not special. NY strip steaks were just OK; not steakhouse quality--about the quality of a good supermarket steak. The steaks were cooked as requested, a plus. But the medium rare steak was delivered to the diner who requested medium, a minus. Draft beers were warm, another minus, but an exchange quick, a plus. Biggest minus: Our waiter gave us our bill just after dessert, never asking if we wanted coffee or an after dinner drink. Their loss: we would've added to the tab. Bottom line: An acceptable meal, moderately priced, in a venue conducive to conversation, but nothing to rave about.Special Features:
- Business and pleasure!PatCatDined on 9/24/2013Food good! Service very good! Modified menu to suit our tastes without blinking an eye! Ambiance perfect for conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good, service wasMaryDined on 9/20/2013Food was good, service was great, area nice and clean. We had a very nice dinner.Special Features:
- It's just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/6/2013We were looking forward to great steak frites and it was a very average meal. The steak was just warm when it arrived at the table, medium was on the rare side and the quality of meat was just ok. The tuna tartare was fine, not melt in your mouth and the chips it came with you could taste the oil. The service was good, they didn't have the wine we wanted so gave us a more expensive bottle for the same price. Out server was attentive and friendly. Overall it was ok and the location is great. Maybe next time I just won't order steak frites at Steak Frites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectDrChantalVIPDined on 8/23/2013Delicious entrecôte de Paris! Cooked perfectly, definitely will be back. Loved the atmosphere and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NIce meal -- well preparedJaneDined on 8/22/2013We enjoyed our dinner at Steak Frites. Service was very good.
- city dininghardboyDined on 8/16/2013great restaurant can't go can't wait to go back there againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small portions and there seemsAlixDined on 8/16/2013Small portions and there seems to be a rush for us to finish
- Steak was not good even after...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2013...I got a replacement. Seems like they stocked b-grade cuts for Restaurant Week. Not good for a spot with Steak in its name. Disappointed.
- tough steak / no outdoor tableJeremyDined on 8/14/2013I visited steak frites previously and had an excellent meal. This visit for a date was sub-par. I requested a seat outside, and i selected Steak Frites mainly for a nice meal outside. I put this in the open table form, and confirmed on the phone. I got there, and they did not have a seat for us outside. This was a bummer, but we rolled with it. I ordered a NY Strip steak, and it was super tough. I barely ate it. That was very disappointing, and not acceptable for a place wiht "Steak" in the name. I was on a date, so I wasn't going to make a big fuss and send back my food. My date said her food was OK, luckily.
- Ugh... Should have knownsupergroverDined on 8/14/2013Wanted to take some friends someplace for Restaurant Week in the area. This was the only place with an open table at the time. This should have been a warning bell to read the other reviews more carefully. There were plenty of empty tables. The steaks were overdone rocks. The 'Sole, Scallop, & Lobster Claw' was just plain bad. People enjoyed the soup and dessert. Service was good with refilling water, but slow with other things.
- Not too impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/12/2013Tried the restaurant for lunch during restaurant week, been meaning to, but wasn't too impressed and glad I paid a discount. There weren't much people dining but service was still very slow. Waited 15 min at least just to be attended to. There was also a couple mix-ups with our order. Food was ok, nothing special. Waiter tried to be hospitable, but was a little awkward.
- very enjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2013Server was very attentive and the food was great. We really enjoyed it.Special Features:
- restaurant weekJan51Dined on 8/9/2013the menu for restaurant week that was posted was nt the one they ooffered.
- Oh yeah! Great time!PickysnitDined on 8/8/2013Wow! Hit this spot for the first time on restaurant week! Great value ! A dozen oysters or a shrimp cocktail to start! And then duck and filet minion with crab meat? And a great expresso mousse? Can't wait to go back!!Special Features:
- Can't judge itAlexDined on 8/7/2013We went there for the restaurant week deal, due to this fact alone, I can't judge this place. Portions were micro comparing to other fancy restaurant week places. It rained on us so we had to move inside. With all that said, the food was tasty, I will give it another try soon. Again please don't take this as a general review, this is just restaurant week deal
- birthday dinnerWIZEDined on 8/7/2013My Birthday Is August 7 So When I Heard About Restaurant Week, I Wanted To Try It Out. I Was Very Satisfied. Great Food Along With The Scenery. If it Wasn't So Expensive, It Would Be A Place I Would Normally Go To, But It Is A Great Special Occasion Dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Took my boyfriend here forJoanneVDined on 8/5/2013Took my boyfriend here for his birthday during restaurant week. While the restaurant week menu looked delicious we opted for the regular menu instead. Adequate pricing, great food, professional service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Should just be called FritesOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/4/2013Considering the place is called "Steak Frites," they really don't know how to cook a steak. I went for brunch and asked for Medium Rare, I got Medium - Well. So I sent it back. Then what I got was Medium on the sides and RARE in the middle.
- DisappointedhihiDined on 8/4/2013Never thought I'd be disappointed by brunch. My french toast had warm frozen fruits on top and I hate frozen fruit. After getting it, I figured I should have asked if the fruit was fresh or not, but then again I would've felt so silly asking that since the point of going out for brunch is to have a nice fresh meal. My mom got the salad with tuna shrimp avocado etc which disappointing too. It looked like it was haphazardly made in a few minutes. The mushroom ravioli, shrimp penne, and belgian waffles were decent at best.
- Nice place!GeorgeDined on 8/2/2013We found this place last minute for a late night dinner. Overall, we had a nice dinner. The food and wine menu was a little overpriced but we both ordered from the Restaurant Week menu making the meal more reasonably priced. We both had the steak and it was cooked perfectly. Overall, we thought the food was great and we would probably recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dinnerPasma13Dined on 8/2/2013It was a special dinner and I wanted I place were we could eat very well. It was the perfect chioice. The oysters and the mussels were delicious the entrees very good. The service was fast and efficient. I liked the music even though it was a little noisy. I will come back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceSimonDined on 8/1/2013The restaurant had a fairly lively noise level, even on Thursday late evening so not the best for a quiet romantic evening. However the food is outstanding with classic French dishes like onion soup and duck confit done right. The service was also outstanding with our waiter needing no more than a glance to come our way, often times knowing what we wanted already. Would definitely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Putting on the Frites!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/1/2013We went to Steak Frites during Restaurant Week for a nice dinner. The food was very good as well as the service. I'm glad that we went here and hope to return to try other dishes on the menu.Special Features:
- Great local placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/30/2013Love this place met for restaurant week. Food and service are great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FriendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/28/2013Took advantage of restaurant week to try Steak Frite. Had wanted to go there for a long time but wasn't sure about it because of the mix reviews. So I thought what better way to try out this restaurant than restaurant week. I just have to say that this place is fantastic from the food to the service. I recommend it and will be back soon.Special Features:
- dinner for 2Mom4kidsDined on 7/26/2013My husband and I had a wonderful evening from the appetizers to the desserts everything was perfection .Our waiter was absolutely charming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak was good. Nothing toClintZER0Dined on 7/26/2013Steak was good. Nothing to write home about, but good.Special Features:
- While the service was pleasantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/26/2013While the service was pleasant and helpful, the food was average at best. Steak was tough, French fries very ordinary and the tart for dessert was soggy. A very ordinary experience.
- MangnificentOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/22/2013From the moment we enter the establishment we was treated as if we was family. The waiter was just sooooo excellent and offered great suggestions on food / drinks. By the time we left I felt we was in an episode at CHEERS with everyone being so kind and excited to help with anything you may have desire ! Can't wait to go back and invite Friends and Family !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- strongest pointOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/21/2013is your wait staff. they are friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet Sunday Evening DinnerVillagerVIPDined on 7/14/2013Steak Frites was fine for a quiet Sunday evening dinner. The servers seemed inexperienced but friendly and the foot was not as tasty as on previous visits. Still this is a reliable neighborhood bistro for a pleasant dinner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for pre-theatre dinnerGaz1Dined on 7/5/2013Went for pre-theatre dinner and was very nice at 6pm on a Friday evening - Party of four and not one of us had any complaints!! We all ate steak from the steak frites list on the menu...Special Features:
- Union Square winnerJohnny555VIPDined on 6/29/2013We hadn't dined here in way to long and forgot how good it can be. Great steak and seafood selections all very well done. Very reasonable given location and selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and spaciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/19/2013Surprisingly often half empty as the food is great !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Meal, bit PriceyOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/24/2013Went to Steak Frites USQ with a couple of friends from out of town. Hadn't been to Steak Frites in about ten years. The Hangar Steak was actually really good and the fries were cooked to perfection. I thought that was the best value on the menu. What I didn't like were the prices of the appetizer ($14 for 5 Little Shrimp) and the wine selection was a bit more expensive than usual. Our total bill for 4 people with 2 bottles of Red, 2 apps, 4 Steak Frites, and 3 deserts came out to $320 with tip. Considering the Steak Frites was around $22/plate, and we didn't drink the most expensive wine, that's a high price to pay. When all is said and done though, it's a good meal; and if you just go Steak Frites, it is worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.