850 Woods Crossing Rd.
Greenville, SC 29607Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.staxs.com/
- Phone: (864) 288-5546
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Sunday - Thursday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Greek
- Executive Chef: Cornelius Cureton
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering a specialty with offsite venues and parties handled with the utmost professional care. Delicious, consistent and on time.
- Private Party Facilities: Beautifully appointed room that will accommodate from 10 to 50 guests. All audio visual aids available upon request.
- Private Party Contact: Tracey Downey 8642885546
- Entertainment: Sunday brunch a favorite with local pianist's to entertain you with songs from the past and present.
A word from Stax Grill
Stax's Seafood Grill is one of the fine restaurants owned by Greenville's Stathakis family, known for their consistently delicious quality food and great service. The Grill offers a casual dining atmosphere and a menu featuring aged US Top Choice Beef and whole fresh fish from around the country. Whether you come for lunch with friends or business associates, or for dinner with family, owner Chris Stathakis will make sure you have a great meal and a good time!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Stax Grill - Best Restaurants in Greenville ›
Stax Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (9)good for groups (8)neighborhood gem (7)kid-friendly (6)romantic (6)great for lunch (5)fit for foodies (4)notable wine list (2)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- PRE-SHOWOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014My sister and I had theater tix so small meal was in order. We each had the scallop appetizer (quite good) and a salad. My caesar salad was limp and quite salty--a disappointment. The cost of the meal surprised me--especially given that we had only one glass of wine and, as I mentioned, appetizers! The one positive--we were seated immediately (the restaurant was quite busy) ---
- Awesome staff and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014The staff made us feel like we had been regulars even though this was our first visit. The food was cooked to perfection and huge portions. Staff did not hover over us but they seemed to show up just as they were needed. We had a great dining experience not just something to eat. I will recommend this place to friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NOT FIT FOR MAN, NOR BEAST. Never going back!RiderGrad95Dined on 11/8/2014It's been a long while since I've had dinner at Stax Grill and I should have know by the near emtpy parking lot I was in trouble. The service was good and the place didn't look much different after they "remodeled". I was also disappointed with the menu selection and what they had to offer. The waiter even said as he was serving the entrees, "If there is anything wrong, please let me know." I should have sent my meal back, The food is overpriced for the Quality and Quantity you get. I ordered an appetizer of Greek Ribs for $8.95, and got only 4 ribs on a plate. I paid 18.95 for stuffed flounder and it was the size of a kids meal! The stuffed flounder and it did not taste fresh at all and the stuffing was gross!! I left about half of it behind and I couldn't wait to get out of there! I have had meals at the other Stax locations at various times since moving to South Carolina, and have found them to be mediocre. I know there's alot of loyal people who love the Stax brand, but there is so much better out there for the same price and even less! Anyone who continues to patronize Stax Grill is wasting their money!
- BillDined on 10/24/2014The food was mediocre at best. It was not consistent - some of the entreees we had were ok, others were not nearly as good as we expected. Service and ambiance were ok. I would not recommend this restaurant.
- Menu changes are not favorableFrequent4dinersDined on 10/18/2014We've visited this restaraunt several times in the past, and have always thoroughly enjoyed it. Of the 4 of us in our party, only 2 of us ate more than a third of our entree. The new menu choices were limiting and expensive. The only shining point in our experience was our waiter Red who was very accommodating, attentive and responsive .Special Features:
- Good food and servicemtnMartyVIPDined on 10/1/2014Had a quick late dinner on a weekday night. Service was excellent and the food was quite good. Would defiantly come back when we're in the area again.Special Features:
- Many YearsOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/10/2014I have been patronizing Stax for many years. The food has dropped in quality. It is without much pizazz or style. It is bland food at high prices. When you pay $26 for a rib eye it should be pretty good. NOT so much my last visit. Was thin, over cooked and an odd color. None of the other food was that good. They need to improve the food so that price & value are in line.Special Features:
- Always A FavoriteJohnDined on 8/9/2014Stax Grill is one of our favorite places to eat! We love the wonderful service that we receive there! The food is always great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/7/2014Food was great. Service was lacking due to our server waiting on too many tables. We were not given the attention expected considering the overall cost of the meal. We were seated for just over 30 minutes before our server explained the daily specials and then came back even later to take our order. Once food was prepared, it appeared to have been seating on the counter for some time. It was warm but not as hot as expected again from your establishment due to the service attention.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service counts!WoodyDined on 8/2/2014When the server (Stacie) corrects a mistake in my order, that's goodness! Throughout, excellent service! Great food, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 202 reviews are from the Stax Grill reviews archive.
- Good FoodJM128Dined on 7/25/2014The lemon chicken orzo soup is to die for. The menu says it is traditional to think of it as medicinal and I truly think this soup would cure whatever ails you. The beef tips over pasta had a good flavor, but some of the beef was a little tough. The Tres Leches cake was excellent as always. Service that night was a little choppy as our waitperson had a large group as well as several individual tables to tend to. All in all, still one of my favorite restaurants.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerSippyDined on 7/12/2014I treated my Mother to her Birthday dinner at Stax. Great food, server and atmosphere, clean and personable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alright, Not Outstandingpgrl48VIPDined on 7/5/2014The service was outstanding, had nice wine choice, but the food was just so-so. Fried trout was "wet" and the stuffed chicken was overcooked with just a tiny bit of cheese in the stuffing.Special Features:
- Ribs at a Seafood Restaurant?CasualDinerDined on 7/4/2014I guess we were just in the mood for ribs, so both my wife and I ordered the Memphis-style. They were pretty good, but we probably didn't give Stax the opportunity to show their strength. Next time we'll try fish.Special Features:
- Excellent as alwayscarlosVIPDined on 7/3/2014The food and service was excellent as any time we go dinner there.Special Features:
- Birthday dinner, made special.TanyaDined on 6/27/2014We were joined by friends from out of state, for my birthday dinner. Service great,delicious meal. Good value for the price. It is so nice that they include a salad with the entree.Special Features:
- Great FindGonzoDinerDined on 6/27/2014Stax Grill has been in this location for a long time and this was the first time we tried it. We were very pleased with the interior update and the food was great as well as the service. We really enjoyed the experience and will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service was superbStanDined on 6/21/2014It was my wife's birthday and they made it special for her.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed, sorry!DisappointedDined on 6/15/2014Sunday we took our family there for my mom's 90th birthday. Her chicken was raw on the underside. I had the same order which was cooked throughout, but I was disappointed that the food wasn't as tasty as it has been in the past. We haven't gone to Stax Grill for several years. Maybe they have changed chefs. The server was very apologetic. The kitchen sent out a new plate of food for my mother and the manager said her meal was on the house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WhitDined on 6/13/2014Enjoyable and good food. We would and will return too try different dishes. the triple chocolate cake was awesome.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnermmzeroDined on 5/16/2014The Grill is still the same as it's always been, although at 7:30 on a Friday night, I'd have expected it to be more crowded. Maybe a quarter of the tables were occupied when we arrived. For some inexplicable reason, the host chose to seat us right next to the kitchen and commented that it was the best table in the house. I guess if you want to watch the comings and goings in the exposed kitchen, but it was our anniversary and I wanted to share a quiet meal with my wife. The food, as always was wonderful, although my scallop dish was a bit skimpy. Wife's Greek trio, however, more than made up for it.Special Features:
- My final visit to Stax GrillNeverToReturnPatronDined on 5/10/2014Terrible - we sat down, wait staff arranging tables around us. Bartender calling out liquors he needed to restock the bar. Had to watch and listen to cooks break down all pots and pans. Watched cook scrape last of white rice from pan and place on my plate. Our water glasses were refilled with Sprite. Food had been reheated under a lamp. Quickly choked down meal and left, saying goodnight to several of the wait staff sitting at the bar having a drink! I have worked in food industry before. It was always expressed to the staff how important it was to make the last customer of the day feel just as important as the first one. Never make a customer feel rushed to leave. Never break down anything until last customer leaves! Will not return here!
- Just okay...StanDined on 5/10/2014First, let me say that the people I was with enjoyed their food. Only good things to say about the fish and steak. Unfortunatly, I chose the Jambalya. Rice was undercooked and my food was lukewarm. I should have ordered the steak. Lesson learned.Special Features:
- Great and not so great!Kat2427VIPDined on 5/4/2014My husband and I dined at Stax for Sunday lunch. My husband had the 1/2 rack of lamb and it was superb, tender, great taste, and juicy. The fish I wanted to order was farmed so I had to order meat instead. I just can't believe a restaurant that is Stax Seafood Grill would served farmed seafood. I still gave it 4 stars because the lamb was terrific.Special Features:
- Relaxed evening out.Gizmo1Dined on 4/30/2014Food was tasty but cold. I sent mine back and it was much better but all could have and should sent theirs back also. The scallops were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First and lastLuv2dineDined on 4/26/2014Really was looking forward to the evening at Stax. Never had such a horrible experience. Reservation at 6:45pm. Was seated promptly. Receive our drinks and salads fast. Did not get main course until a little after 8 pm. People around us started leaving from their table because they couldn't wait any longer. I should have left myself. Then the waitress had a nerve to say that Saturdays night is not a good night to come. Omg. I was so out done with this statement. Never again. The steak was under cook. I dare give it back. Then it took the longest to get receipt .Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014We read that the restaurant had been remodeled so thought we would try it again after three years last visit. We waited one and one half hours to be served the main course. We had a reservation since it was for a birthday outing. The waiters failed to even serve us the bread that is standard, we only had our beverages coffee and water refilled for this long time. We do not plan to return, as the ambience is poor- very high noise level all over, irritating background music. It is a shame because our food was above average, when we were finally served.
- something's changedjohnny1Dined on 4/26/2014It's been a longtime tradition to get together with friends that we haven't seen for a while to enjoy the prime rib at stax. This will probably be the last time we do this. We waited over an hour for our food. Kept getting apologies from the waitress. When it came time for her to figure out the bill, two of the women at the table had to figure out how to apply a groupon we had because the waitress could not deal with it. She definitely looked overworked and not capable of dealing with a stressful evening. At one point I had to pull up a chair from another table in order to carry on a conversation with a friend of mine who was only one person away from me because of the noise level.
- Consistently greatLTaylorDined on 4/25/2014This is one of the few good restaurants that we can always agree is consistently high quality standards in their food and service. For the quality of the meal the value is good, and they offer opportunities for coupon discounts if you watch for them.
- Birthday delightVolmanDined on 4/20/2014Took my oldest daughter out for a birthday lunch. We were warmly greeted and seated promptly. Our waiter was attentive , knew the menu and made sure we had everything we needed. The owner came over to check on us. The food was tasty and well presented. A positive and personable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/18/2014Everything was great except both people who had steak commented that it was very dry. Other food was wonderful.Special Features:
- CatfishDined on 4/12/2014Have been to Stax Grill many times and almost always enjoy the meal. Have had the crispy whole flounder many times as well. This time it was bland and a bit dry. The rasberry sauce was not as tasty as the traditional sauce. Otherwise, the service was superb and the atmosphere comfortable and quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stax Seafood Grill ExperienceRandomDined on 4/11/2014Excellent food with very good service. I had seafood and my companion had pasta. Both of us had wine by the glass and the wine selection was quite good. Price was reasonable for the quality of the food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need More FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014Fantastic service and fantastic food, just wish there was a little more of it... The blackened scallop plate was great but you only get 4 scallops and a side for $33.... would like to have had a couple more scallops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerCaptcaterpillarDined on 3/13/2014Four couples met for a birthday celebration. The area was quiet enough so we could hear the conversation. Our waitress was efficient an gracious. We love the selection that meets any flavor. This is one of our favorite places for a special event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experiencecarlosVIPDined on 2/28/2014We were greatly satisfied with the food and the service we received. We'll come back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!MisterMangiareVIPDined on 2/18/2014We love going to STAX GRILL as usually you're greeted by the owner, Chris Stathakis, and made to fell like you're special for being there. The food is always excellent. The chefs cook out in the open so it's fun to watch them working their magic! I had mahi-mahi grilled...delicious. Wife had the Greek Combo of chicken kabob and ribs...wonderful and enough left over for another meal! Great place to dine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014I brought my girlfriend here for dinner, and we each got the ribeye steak cut with a bottle of malbec. The service was good with the server a little hard to understand because he seemed in a rush, but overall the food and experience was outstanding.Special Features:
- Love this restaurant!RobinsonDined on 2/14/2014We are always pleased with our experience at Stax Grill. They have the best wait staff and chefs! We were a little disappointed this time because 2 items that my wife ordered were not available. It was Valentine's Day and we did have a late reservation but we felt that the restaurant should have been prepared to be busy and have enough to serve their customers. The items were calamari and cheese grits. However, this is our only complaint over the past several years of otherwise great dining experiences.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Food as AlwaysamgriffithDined on 2/14/2014Stax always has great food. We love going to eat Stax grill.Special Features: