136 W. 33rd Street
New York, NY 10001Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://statlergrill.com/
- Phone: 2127363353
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 11:00am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Private Room can accommodate up to 40 people. Main Dining Room can accommodate up to 100 people. A Private Buy-Out can accommodate 150 people.
A word from Statler Grill
The Statler Grill harkens back to the golden age of the big band era, and is named after Ellsworth Statler, who ran the Hotel Pennsylvania from 1919 to 1954, when musicians such as Tommy Dorsey, Count Basie and Glenn Miller played at the Cafe Rouge, the hotel's main dining room. The Statler serves classic New York steakhouse prime steaks and chops as well as daily delivered fresh seafood, while the bar and lounge serve a delicious grill menu. Located just steps away from Pennsylvania Station and Madison Square Garden, it is the perfect place to have a breakfast meeting, a meal before an event at the Garden, or just to relax with friends and co-workers during happy hour before you hop on the train.Continued
It is all about the food and service says owner Joseph Lavelle. "I want my guests to enjoy themselves, have a great meal and return again and again".
It is all about the food and service says owner Joseph Lavelle. "I want my guests to enjoy themselves, have a great meal and return again and again".
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Statler Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
96 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (23)special occasion (23)good for groups (22)romantic (14)neighborhood gem (13)vibrant bar scene (13)great for lunch (9)late-night find (8)notable wine list (7)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Food is excellent! Service is great, except at the bar. Bar drinks are pretty weak too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AngelusDined on 9/17/2014Chose the Statler Grill because we had a Groupon for 2 that included a 4 course meal and a bottle of wine. Went on a Wed evening at 7pm. The place was packed. We checked in, was asked if we had a Groupon, they validated it and walked us to our table for two. It was cramped and my chair kept getting hit everytime a waiter or patron had to squeeze through. The Groupon included restrictions, but had enough choices to work for us. The mozzarella and tomato appetizer was delicious. Cheeze was fresh and creamy with drizzled pesto sauce and fresh bazil. The porterhouse for 2 was fantastic and cooked to perfection. French fries were hand cut and crispy. The cheeze cake was really a pastry and not very good. The red cabernet we selected was okay.
- So SoBigEater1Dined on 9/16/2014Pretty good resturant. Food was so so, it was through a Groupon, so We believe the food might be more fitting for a steak place if one ordered from the regular menu. At four times the price of course. Overall: C+Special Features:
- Luis the waiterLauretteChangadDined on 9/13/2014He was awesome and attentive! He Made the evening! We went for a birthday celebration. He took our pics. Was over the top friendly. The food was delicious-from appetizers to porterhouse and sides plus deserts a great evening! We will go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Statler Grill is a gem located withMeatloversDined on 9/13/2014Statler Grill is a gem located within 3 minutes of MSG (Madison Square garden). Everything from the appetizers to dessert is amazing. but the Steak for 2 was incrdible. Cooked perfectly medium (a bit pink in the middle) could have been more tender, delicious and tasteful. I introduced another couple and they both haven't stopped talking about what a great meal it was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Statler Grill was a great stop!CaseyVIPDined on 9/13/2014The whole experience was very good. The food, the wait staff and the drinks were all worth the wait. We were a table of six and the time for the food to come was perfect, the service staff is all over you and everything prepared very well. ConsumerMarineSupply.comSpecial Features:
- Close to Penn StationBillTDined on 9/13/2014Went here before a concert at Madison Square Garden. The staff was friendly and accommodating of our time restraints. The food was good. Nicely prepared and flavorful. We used a groupon and it was a good value for the reduced price. I would have not thought the value was there in the full price menu. To sum up in one word...average.
- Average all aroundBazeDined on 9/8/2014Went to this steakhouse a few days back and I thought it was very average. We were seated promptly as the restaurant was not busy, and the servers were attentive and nice. We thought the food was just good, not great. I am a HUGE steak fan, have been to all the top steakhouses in NY, and unfortunately this doesn't hold up. The prices are top notch, but the food isn't. The appetizers were ok and had a TGI Friday's quality to them. The Porterhouse was on the small side, but it was cooked perfectly, which is a big plus. However, it lacked something (not enough flavor, perhaps more seasoning?). They served something that seemed like a mix of ketchup and duck sauce for steak sauce (???). I would never pay full price for this (we had a groupon).
- Don't go there please!!!NewyorkvisitorDined on 9/7/2014We went there after buying a groupon , we paid 89$ when actual value is up to 243$ , looks promising ... The first dish was baffulo mozzarella , believe me it wasn't baffulo mozzarella , it was just a 3 small slices of regular mozzarella on top a very big tomatoes. For the main dish we ordered the porterhouse steak that was very small ( not for two people for sure) and it wasn't tasty. The bottle of wine was 6$ wine ( Canyon road 2012 Cabernet ) I'm usually don't write review for restaurants unless it's very good or it's very bad, this one was one of the badest restaurants I ever visited.
- Quantity not qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014You got a lot of good but very disappointed in the quality . Used a groupon which included a bottle if wine. The Cabernet was not room temp WARM. Looked it up online and it was a $4 bottle of wine. Had a headache afterwards. Would not go back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014Food and service were wonderful, I would definatley go again.Special Features:
- Excellent ChoicePerlVIPDined on 8/27/2014It may not be equal to the top-tier steakhouses in NYC but the food at Statler held its own. I had split a porterhouse steak for two and found it to be cooked excellently. The sides were quite tasty. Service was attentive without being imposing. Would definitely return.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/27/2014Been here about a year ago with a good experience. Went back using a groupon, OK price for a prefix menu, if they didnt give the bottle of wine the price wasnt worth it. The food and service was average, we went on a Wednesday at 4p so both should have been better. AC not working which was not told to us before we sat down, then when we asked at 4:20 the waiter did apologize for it being broke. They then dimmed the lights that left us too much in the dark, but we were midway through dinner so we didn't ask for our table to be changed. Although Probably would not go back.Special Features:
- AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014We had the group on deal for two persons (89$) and considering what we paid it was okay, but not a place I would come back to. The porterhouse steak was fine, the sides were very good, the appetizer was nice and dessert was something we wouldn't have missed. Overall a good groupon deal, but definitely not worth paying the full price.
- Great steak dinnerAJsMumDined on 8/17/2014We used a Groupon and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Groupon CornercatattackDined on 8/15/2014Before coming here, I read a lot of reviews from other Grouponers who complained about lots of flies and poor service in the "Groupon corner". Indeed, upon arriving, I noticed that my boyfriend and I were indeed seated in the back corner of the restaurant. The dining space was inundated by pillars and decor was lacking, but I didn't have too much to complain about. Within 5 minutes of being poured water, however, a fly swooped out of nowhere and took a little shower in my cup. Luckily for Statler Grill, their food was completely on point, or I would have given it 1 star just for that. Unhygienic, guys. Not okay.Special Features:
- not a gemtroyDined on 8/15/2014Was not up to NY caliber steakhouse food I would not plan on visiting again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014We came in at 10, which was admittedly late, as they close at 11 - but they took our reservation and we didn't know when they closed when we made it. We did not feel welcome, maybe because it was so late. The music shut off promptly at 11. Our calamari was decent. The porterhouse and potatoes were not. Steak was full of fat, potatoes full of salt. Gave them to homeless people after we left. We barely saw our waiters. We had to ask for our wine to be served with our meal, because no one checked on us. Maybe it was because we had a Groupon, or because we came in late, but we felt totally ripped off and not a priority. Sad if either is the case. The atmosphere is decent and the location is hard to beat. But the service and food were terrible.
- Worth a shotrpk5004Dined on 8/10/2014Is it the best place I've ever been? No...is it the best food I've ever eaten? No...It's a pretty good deal. Food is good, but not out of this world. For a steakhouse in NYC it's worth the $89 for date night. Service is pretty good. I just didn't like that they brought you a bill for the tip. Lastly, they should offer the whole menu to choose from. They ask if you have groupon and give u limited items. All in all, it's worth a shot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible food, WORST serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/3/2014We travelled to NYC and bought an $80 groupon for a 4 course meal and were extremely disappointed. The ceaser dressing was overflowing with anchovies making the salad very fishy, the French onion soup was extremely salty, the steak was full of fat and was of low quality meat, the salmon was dry beyond belief and the potatoes were instant potatoes. The service was very slow for a Sunday night with about 5 patrons, max. Our waiter argued with me when I requested after one bite to replace the anchovy filled ceaser salad. He was on his phone the whole night and would make eye contact with us and then look away. The 18% bill for his tip that he gave us was beyond undeserved. We will NEVER return, nothing was upto par. No wonder it was so empty.
- Great food - filthy bathroomsAllieDined on 8/2/2014We bought a groupon for this meal & was excellent value - food and wine were perfect. Service was fine but not exceptional. My only real complaint was the washroom was filthy and unkept - unacceptable really. As I said, service was fine but we were automatically billed 22% tip which was a bit high for the service.Special Features:
- Best Steak Ever!!Canuck4FoodDined on 8/2/2014My wife and I were in New York for a Broadway performance and decided to go to Statler Grill for dinner before the performance. The steak could have been cut with a butter knife or fork. It was, without a doubt, the best steak we have ever had (we had the Porterhouse). The quantities were good and the servers were excellent. I would definitely return to the Statler Grill on my next visit to New York. We used a Groupon and even though the menu was smaller for the Groupon, it was a fantastic meal.Special Features:
- Stellar but pricey StatlerCDA59Dined on 7/31/2014It's difficult to find quality in the area around Penn Station, but Statlwr Grill certainly fits the bill. Good good, convenient location, quality service. The only negative concerns pricing. A bowl of Penne Vodka at $24 is far too high. Expense account preferred.I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Class New York SteakhouseOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/30/2014It took a trip across country to remind me that all Steakhouse's are not created equal. The Statler Grill is a classic example of what they should be. Comfortable, yet attentive. Void of pretense, yet you feel like you're fine dining. All food is prepared and presented, just as they were meant to be. The waiter we had was so professional. Confident and cool. Funny but you never felt your need were taken lightly. Statler Grill has got it right the first, and from what I see, every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They treat you rightJasperDined on 7/26/2014My husband & I went Saturday night for our anniversary. We have been there before. The food is delicious & the portions are a nice size. Everything is fresh (mashed potatos, creamed spinach, etc.). The drinks were excellent. Service for the first 3/4 of the meal was excellent & then our waiter disappeared. We asked the manager for the bill. We have been to many steak houses and this is one of our favorites because of the quality & the taste of the food. We will be back. The also run groupons.Special Features:
- amazing wait staff...nycweloveDined on 7/26/2014You come in and are treated as one of the family. Food was very good and fast too. Our waiter really made the experience special. Even when we ordered off menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodEmmyTheWifeDined on 7/23/2014The steak was perfectly cooked and the service was very professional. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Totaly AwsomeLoveToDineOutDined on 7/22/2014I have the best experience every time we dine here. The food is spectacular and the service is wonderful....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- blandOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/21/2014reliably predictable. overcooked fish, unimaginative menu.
- Great Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/17/2014My son and I came in at 5:30 and the servers were transitioning shifts, so we had 2 different waiters but our service was unaffected, all staff members were attentive and accommodating. The French Onion soup and 48oz Porterhouse steak was great.I would recommend this to a friend.
- GrouponBigNardDined on 7/14/2014Was in the city with my fiancé, and wanted to find a nice place to eat in the heart of Manhattan. Saw a great deal on Groupon for this restaurant that almost seemed to good to be true. Got the Groupon and dined there with my lady. We had a wonderful experience with fantastic food. I would definitely dine there again, especially if they continue with the Groupon program.Special Features:
- Just OkayVigoDined on 7/8/2014The food was just okay, nothing special. The service was very slow, as my wife and I waited 30 minutes just to get our appetizers (salad). We were there before the crowds, as it was only 6pm and the place was half full, so really no excuse for the slow service. Dinner came out a bit sooner, but was cold. Unless you are stuck for a place, I would skip this one and search for another place to eat at.
- Great steaks here!DCEaterVIPDined on 7/5/2014I came here with a friend on a Saturday night. This was relatively late for dinner, but we were surprised to see that they were still open. They had good choices on the menu, and their steaks were DELICIOUS! The service was excellent! I would definitely consider returning here.Special Features:
- Pretty GoodgoodfoodlowbudgetDined on 7/5/2014I got a groupon for this place so my selection was limited but the price was great. I liked the service but my food overall was just ok and what I spent with the groupon would be what I would expect to spend normally for that quality of food. The calamari was well seasoned but chewy, probably because it looked like it was overly deep fried, and as for my stake it needed more seasoning. The "special in-house" steak sauce that was served with the steak tasted like cocktail sauce but the dessert bread pudding was delicious as were the sides. Overall the food was not horrible but not at all worth what the price without the groupon would have been.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food butPierDDined on 7/2/2014The food was beyond our expectations and with a groupon it was a great deal. But the noise level was just horrible. Couldn't talk or hear my husband next to me without shouting. Would not consider going againSpecial Features:
- Do NOT go on "Groupon" NightJCSESQDined on 7/2/2014I've eaten at Statler Grill many times - mostly for client dinners. The food is always excellent. When I arrived last night (I had reservation), the hostess asked if I was using a Groupon. I've never been asked that question before at a higher end restaurant. Apparently Wednesday is Groupon Night at Statler Grill. And they were PACKED. So much so, that instead of dining in the dining room, as I have always done in the past, we were led to the back of the restaurant, past the kitchen, around a corner, down a hallway, past the lobby of the Hotel Pennsylvania and (finally) into a musty little makeshift room with about a half dozen tables. Our table was tiny and wobbly. The room was cramp, smelly and uncomfortable. Not good!
- Wish we had more time! Best steak!LuvsteakDined on 7/2/2014Perfectly Close to Madison square gardens. Best steak we had in ages! We would Definitely go back. Huge portions, simple clean, fantastic!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prix Fixe was amazingJeniDined on 7/1/2014We got the porterhouse per the waiter's recommendation and to go with it, a really delicious bottle of Pinot Noir. Every course was a delight and the porterhouse was beyond perfection. Too bad it was the US/Belgium game that day. It got a little crazy and one of the waiters was more interested in watching that than refilling our waters.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/1/2014The restaurant is your typical mid level steakhouse. The food is sufficiently decent, as well as the service. For tourists staying in the hotel it offers a bit more of a dress-up affair than the fast food options in the lobby but not much else.Special Features:
- Average place that's ittomayVIPDined on 6/30/2014Too many better choices in NYC starker grill is just average and should not be in list of better NYC restaurants