136 W. 33rd Street
New York, NY 10001Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://statlergrill.com/
- Phone: 2127363353
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 11:00am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Private Room can accommodate up to 40 people. Main Dining Room can accommodate up to 100 people. A Private Buy-Out can accommodate 150 people.
A word from Statler Grill
The Statler Grill harkens back to the golden age of the big band era, and is named after Ellsworth Statler, who ran the Hotel Pennsylvania from 1919 to 1954, when musicians such as Tommy Dorsey, Count Basie and Glenn Miller played at the Cafe Rouge, the hotel's main dining room. The Statler serves classic New York steakhouse prime steaks and chops as well as daily delivered fresh seafood, while the bar and lounge serve a delicious grill menu. Located just steps away from Pennsylvania Station and Madison Square Garden, it is the perfect place to have a breakfast meeting, a meal before an event at the Garden, or just to relax with friends and co-workers during happy hour before you hop on the train.Continued
It is all about the food and service says owner Joseph Lavelle. "I want my guests to enjoy themselves, have a great meal and return again and again".
It is all about the food and service says owner Joseph Lavelle. "I want my guests to enjoy themselves, have a great meal and return again and again".
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Statler Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
98 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (29)fit for foodies (24)special occasion (21)neighborhood gem (20)romantic (18)vibrant bar scene (13)notable wine list (12)late-night find (9)great for lunch (9)hot spot (8)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Hit or miss...PerkVIPDined on 10/23/2014...my last lunch here was a miss. I count on the Stadler Grill for business lunches since there are so few good places near Penn Station/Madison Square Garden. Usually it's a solid, if not spectacular place. Lunch this time was really disappointing. Three of four us ordered the NY strip steak luncheon special. When the steaks came we all looked at each other with blank stares. It was like we were just served at Ponderosa or Outback Steak House. Really embarrassing quality for a "NY steak house." Cutting back too much to make the $25 lunch special work! Give me quality, I'll pay for it.Special Features:
- DeliciouscsquitDined on 10/10/2014Amazing shrimp scampi chosen from a menu where I could have easily picked 10 dinners. Cozy spot to dine and conveniently close to Madison Square Garden, will be dining there again before Rangers games.
- tim is the beststeveVIPDined on 10/9/2014Tim was a great server. Friendly, knowledgeable, efficient, good sense of humorSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not worth it...OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/5/2014mediocre food and less than attentive service for the price make this a 'not worth it' place to eat.
- OK..BUT NOT GREAT.METGUARDVIPDined on 10/3/2014THIS STEAKHOUSE IS OK. IT'S NOT BAD BUT NOT GREAT. THE PRICE IS RIGHT AND THE SERVICE IS VERY GOOD. THE WAIT STAFF ARE VERY FRIENDLY. THE STEAK IS A BIT TOUGH BUT TOLERABLE.Special Features:
- Night out in the cityLoveFoodDined on 10/1/2014I had a Groupon for 4. Went with my kids for a mid-week night out. Parked right in front after 6pm. We were seated immediately. Prix fixe menu with choice of Chilean sea bass, porterhouse for 2 among other decent choices. We ordered the sea bass, aged porterhouse and the pasta primavera. Porterhouse was aged but it was very chewy even though we ordered it rare. The worst aged steak I've ever had. Pasta lacked seasoning. Chilean sea bass was a bass but not Chilean. It was good nonetheless. Our server was very attentive, sense of humor. I wouldn't recommend this place if I had to pay full price of the menu or to foodies but it was a fun night out overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good restaurantAferreiranetoVIPDined on 9/28/2014Good enough hhhhggffgghhhhjjjjjjjjjjjhvgiuuuhggrdddffhjjjkkoI would recommend this to a friend.
- Bought it on a groupon-OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/28/2014Bread and wine were good. Salads were tasty, but the meals were tasteless and the pasta didn't have any sauce. The waiter said he would bring a side of sauce and never returned. The desserts were small and not good, cheesecake was tasteless. The server was no where in sight towards the end of the meal until we saw him folding all the tablecloths around us ignoring us.Special Features:
- Never a bad..RickDined on 9/27/2014This place is never a bad experience.. Friendly staff, food & service well done.... It was a little too warm (seemed AC was off?) that night but did not diminish the dinner..Special Features:
- Special nightSteakloverJDined on 9/26/2014Was my wife's birthday and we celebrated there with the Groupon deal. The Staff were delightful and always checked on us. The food was delicious. She had the Chilean Sea Bass which when I was given a taste, melted in my mouth. I had the New York Strip which was cooked perfectly! A bottle of Prosecco and dessert (NY Cheesecake with a dash of whipped cream) with a candle in it. Thanks Statler Grill for an awesome night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Statler GrillRockChick007Dined on 9/25/2014The Statler Grill is a fabulous steakhouse restaurant conveniently located in midtown Manhattan inside the Pennsylvania hotel, directly across the street from Madison Square Garden. The menu consists of a wide variety of dishes, guaranteed to appeal to everyone. The sesame seared Ahi tuna is a notable favorite of mine, and the lobster mashed potatoes are out of this world! The porterhouse steak for two is amazing! I highly recommend the Statler Grill for dinner for two, for a group of friends, or appetizers at the bar before an event at the garden, or pre-theater!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A DefiniteYvonneDined on 9/24/2014We had a Groupon and it was an incredible value. The steak (all that we had to eat was delicious). It was the start of the jewish holiday and nothing was happening at the Garden so the restaurant was pretty empty hence my rating. Overall though my husband and I enjoyed it and will go back again. Great to have in that neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/24/2014Good spot, food was very good, nice deal on price fix business lunchSpecial Features:
- Very disappointing experiencecmwarwinVIPDined on 9/21/2014We went with a Groupon. The fixed menu they gave us was extremely limited. Steak was OK, nothing special. Malbec was good. The two included appetizers & the two dessert were from the cheapest choices. No choice of sides allowed even when much better choices were on the main menu within the allowed price. For Appetizer, tough rubbery calamari, even when mussels, clams, lamb chop were on the main menu. Sides, the chef chose baked potato & creamed spinach as our two sides -- $12 each -- broccoli, asparagus, mushrooms not allowed. Dessert, a thin slice of bread pudding. They called this a $165 meal and added $30 tip based on that price. Ridiculous, extremely overpriced for a mediocre meal. A very unhappy restricted experience.
- NYCVisitorDined on 9/20/2014We had an awesome experience! We had a Groupon for 4, and it was well worth it. We made reservations but arrived an hour earlier. Statler's was able to accommodate us with no problems and the service and food were outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MademoiselleADined on 9/19/2014We are from Canada and were looking forward to find a nice restaurant in NY. We found this with the Groupon app, and seriously we did not regret buying it, the staff was amazing, the food too, the ambiance was nice! The price were a little bit high , but with the coupon totally worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hitlo1Dined on 9/19/2014Food is excellent! Service is great, except at the bar. Bar drinks are pretty weak too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overstated valuedavidVIPDined on 9/19/2014redeeming a groupon, the price paid appeared great value when viewed against the restaurant's regular cost for the meal offered on a special groupon menu. that value was more than just a little inflated and, while it wasn't the bargain I expected the food was prepared competently.
- AngelusDined on 9/17/2014Chose the Statler Grill because we had a Groupon for 2 that included a 4 course meal and a bottle of wine. Went on a Wed evening at 7pm. The place was packed. We checked in, was asked if we had a Groupon, they validated it and walked us to our table for two. It was cramped and my chair kept getting hit everytime a waiter or patron had to squeeze through. The Groupon included restrictions, but had enough choices to work for us. The mozzarella and tomato appetizer was delicious. Cheeze was fresh and creamy with drizzled pesto sauce and fresh bazil. The porterhouse for 2 was fantastic and cooked to perfection. French fries were hand cut and crispy. The cheeze cake was really a pastry and not very good. The red cabernet we selected was okay.
- Not very happyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/17/2014The place is packed with so many tables, we had to ask people to stand up so we could get in or out. For a steak place to char the outside of a filet mignon to give it a burnt flavor is not for me. Ordered it medium, came out burned and very red on the inside. On the other hand, the filet mignon sandwich was over done and not much meat. The one good thing I can say is the mac and cheese side dish was very good. Once the waiter brings your food, you won't see them again. Also, big hole in the ceiling above our table...place needs some updating.
- So SoBigEater1Dined on 9/16/2014Pretty good resturant. Food was so so, it was through a Groupon, so We believe the food might be more fitting for a steak place if one ordered from the regular menu. At four times the price of course. Overall: C+Special Features:
- Luis the waiterLauretteChangadDined on 9/13/2014He was awesome and attentive! He Made the evening! We went for a birthday celebration. He took our pics. Was over the top friendly. The food was delicious-from appetizers to porterhouse and sides plus deserts a great evening! We will go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Statler Grill is a gem located withMeatloversDined on 9/13/2014Statler Grill is a gem located within 3 minutes of MSG (Madison Square garden). Everything from the appetizers to dessert is amazing. but the Steak for 2 was incrdible. Cooked perfectly medium (a bit pink in the middle) could have been more tender, delicious and tasteful. I introduced another couple and they both haven't stopped talking about what a great meal it was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Statler Grill was a great stop!CaseyVIPDined on 9/13/2014The whole experience was very good. The food, the wait staff and the drinks were all worth the wait. We were a table of six and the time for the food to come was perfect, the service staff is all over you and everything prepared very well. ConsumerMarineSupply.comSpecial Features:
- Close to Penn StationBillTDined on 9/13/2014Went here before a concert at Madison Square Garden. The staff was friendly and accommodating of our time restraints. The food was good. Nicely prepared and flavorful. We used a groupon and it was a good value for the reduced price. I would have not thought the value was there in the full price menu. To sum up in one word...average.
- Average all aroundBazeDined on 9/8/2014Went to this steakhouse a few days back and I thought it was very average. We were seated promptly as the restaurant was not busy, and the servers were attentive and nice. We thought the food was just good, not great. I am a HUGE steak fan, have been to all the top steakhouses in NY, and unfortunately this doesn't hold up. The prices are top notch, but the food isn't. The appetizers were ok and had a TGI Friday's quality to them. The Porterhouse was on the small side, but it was cooked perfectly, which is a big plus. However, it lacked something (not enough flavor, perhaps more seasoning?). They served something that seemed like a mix of ketchup and duck sauce for steak sauce (???). I would never pay full price for this (we had a groupon).
- Don't go there please!!!NewyorkvisitorDined on 9/7/2014We went there after buying a groupon , we paid 89$ when actual value is up to 243$ , looks promising ... The first dish was baffulo mozzarella , believe me it wasn't baffulo mozzarella , it was just a 3 small slices of regular mozzarella on top a very big tomatoes. For the main dish we ordered the porterhouse steak that was very small ( not for two people for sure) and it wasn't tasty. The bottle of wine was 6$ wine ( Canyon road 2012 Cabernet ) I'm usually don't write review for restaurants unless it's very good or it's very bad, this one was one of the badest restaurants I ever visited.
- Quantity not qualitySandyDined on 9/6/2014You got a lot of good but very disappointed in the quality . Used a groupon which included a bottle if wine. The Cabernet was not room temp WARM. Looked it up online and it was a $4 bottle of wine. Had a headache afterwards. Would not go back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014Food and service were wonderful, I would definatley go again.Special Features:
- Excellent ChoicePerlVIPDined on 8/27/2014It may not be equal to the top-tier steakhouses in NYC but the food at Statler held its own. I had split a porterhouse steak for two and found it to be cooked excellently. The sides were quite tasty. Service was attentive without being imposing. Would definitely return.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/27/2014Been here about a year ago with a good experience. Went back using a groupon, OK price for a prefix menu, if they didnt give the bottle of wine the price wasnt worth it. The food and service was average, we went on a Wednesday at 4p so both should have been better. AC not working which was not told to us before we sat down, then when we asked at 4:20 the waiter did apologize for it being broke. They then dimmed the lights that left us too much in the dark, but we were midway through dinner so we didn't ask for our table to be changed. Although Probably would not go back.Special Features:
- AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014We had the group on deal for two persons (89$) and considering what we paid it was okay, but not a place I would come back to. The porterhouse steak was fine, the sides were very good, the appetizer was nice and dessert was something we wouldn't have missed. Overall a good groupon deal, but definitely not worth paying the full price.
- Great steak dinnerAJsMumDined on 8/17/2014We used a Groupon and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Groupon CornercatattackDined on 8/15/2014Before coming here, I read a lot of reviews from other Grouponers who complained about lots of flies and poor service in the "Groupon corner". Indeed, upon arriving, I noticed that my boyfriend and I were indeed seated in the back corner of the restaurant. The dining space was inundated by pillars and decor was lacking, but I didn't have too much to complain about. Within 5 minutes of being poured water, however, a fly swooped out of nowhere and took a little shower in my cup. Luckily for Statler Grill, their food was completely on point, or I would have given it 1 star just for that. Unhygienic, guys. Not okay.Special Features:
- not a gemtroyDined on 8/15/2014Was not up to NY caliber steakhouse food I would not plan on visiting again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014We came in at 10, which was admittedly late, as they close at 11 - but they took our reservation and we didn't know when they closed when we made it. We did not feel welcome, maybe because it was so late. The music shut off promptly at 11. Our calamari was decent. The porterhouse and potatoes were not. Steak was full of fat, potatoes full of salt. Gave them to homeless people after we left. We barely saw our waiters. We had to ask for our wine to be served with our meal, because no one checked on us. Maybe it was because we had a Groupon, or because we came in late, but we felt totally ripped off and not a priority. Sad if either is the case. The atmosphere is decent and the location is hard to beat. But the service and food were terrible.
- Worth a shotrpk5004Dined on 8/10/2014Is it the best place I've ever been? No...is it the best food I've ever eaten? No...It's a pretty good deal. Food is good, but not out of this world. For a steakhouse in NYC it's worth the $89 for date night. Service is pretty good. I just didn't like that they brought you a bill for the tip. Lastly, they should offer the whole menu to choose from. They ask if you have groupon and give u limited items. All in all, it's worth a shot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible food, WORST serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/3/2014We travelled to NYC and bought an $80 groupon for a 4 course meal and were extremely disappointed. The ceaser dressing was overflowing with anchovies making the salad very fishy, the French onion soup was extremely salty, the steak was full of fat and was of low quality meat, the salmon was dry beyond belief and the potatoes were instant potatoes. The service was very slow for a Sunday night with about 5 patrons, max. Our waiter argued with me when I requested after one bite to replace the anchovy filled ceaser salad. He was on his phone the whole night and would make eye contact with us and then look away. The 18% bill for his tip that he gave us was beyond undeserved. We will NEVER return, nothing was upto par. No wonder it was so empty.
- Great food - filthy bathroomsAllieDined on 8/2/2014We bought a groupon for this meal & was excellent value - food and wine were perfect. Service was fine but not exceptional. My only real complaint was the washroom was filthy and unkept - unacceptable really. As I said, service was fine but we were automatically billed 22% tip which was a bit high for the service.Special Features:
- Best Steak Ever!!Canuck4FoodDined on 8/2/2014My wife and I were in New York for a Broadway performance and decided to go to Statler Grill for dinner before the performance. The steak could have been cut with a butter knife or fork. It was, without a doubt, the best steak we have ever had (we had the Porterhouse). The quantities were good and the servers were excellent. I would definitely return to the Statler Grill on my next visit to New York. We used a Groupon and even though the menu was smaller for the Groupon, it was a fantastic meal.Special Features: