Station House Cafe
11180 Highway One
Point Reyes Station, CA 94956Neighborhood:
Point Reyes Station
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Station House Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.stationhousecafe.com/
- Phone: (415) 663-1515
- Hours of Operation:
Serving breakfast, lunch & dinner six days a week. Closed Wednesdays. Open Thursday through Tuesday 8AM - 3:30PM and 5PM-9PM; Bar menu available from 3:30-5PM. Closed Wednesdays.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Wayne Pratt
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Planning a reunion on the beach? A break from the daily office routine? Delicious boxed lunches are available for groups to go - please order in advance.
We specialize in on-site weddings, rehearsal dinners, receptions & family reunions. Our garden patio, private dining room, or entire facility are available for private celebrations.
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining room available for up to 32 guests. Our outdoor patio is also an ideal setting for garden parties and receptions for up to 75 guests. Also, the entire restaurant, bar and garden may be rented for private parties for groups up to 120.
- Private Party Contact: Sheryl Cahill 4156631515x
- Entertainment: LIVE Music-Every Sunday at 5pm - no cover. For full calendar listing: www.stationhousecafe.com/music
- Special Events: please visit our website at www.stationhousecafe.com/community
- Cross Street: Mesa Road
- Public Transit: West Marin Coach travels twice daily from Central Marin.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: In addition to street parking, The Station House Cafe has a private lot located in the back of the building with access through a garden path to the dining room.
A word from Station House Cafe
Station House Cafe celebrates a 40th anniversary in 2014! Best known for great food, friendly service and gorgeous outdoor garden dining, the Station House Cafe, established in 1974, is situated amid the beauty and bounty of West Marin at the gateway to the Point Reyes National Seashore. With a long-standing emphasis on fresh and local, the menu features sustainable seafood; organic produce – some from the cafe’s own gardens – and Niman Ranch beef and lamb with classic American cuisine as the central theme. Music lovers will appreciate some of the Bay Area’s best musicians as they swing by to entertain in the Station House Lounge on Sunday afternoons. A private dining room is available for special events.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Station House Cafe - Best Restaurants in Point Reyes Station ›
Station House Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
58 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (32)great for outdoor dining (29)fit for foodies (24)great for lunch (19)kid-friendly (17)great for brunch (17)vibrant bar scene (12)special occasion (10)good for groups (10)hot spot (7)romantic (4)late-night find (3)notable wine list (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Gem of a FindetymomelDined on 11/15/2014Lovely spot close to many locations along Tomales Bay, an area known for oysters, and you can find them here in many dishes, from oysters on the half shell to barbecued oysters to oyster stew. The oyster stew was fabulous, needing only a few shakes of salt. The house salad with creamy feta dressing was the perfect starter. My dining partner had cauliflower soup, which he gave a thumbs up, and fish and chips, which he found fresh and flavorful, but the breading was not very crisp. The chips were good. The pot de creme, shared between us, was just right as a dessert. Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/8/2014I wish there were more vegetarian options. The veggie burgers were not particularly good, the fries ok, and salad pretty good, but small portion.Special Features:
- Excellent food & pricesGloryDined on 10/25/2014Food delicious, ample portions (took half of it home), very reasonable prices for the quality. The restaurant on a Sunday nite was cacophonous. Thank goodness the tv in the bar was on mute for the World Series game. The band was not needed until the place cleared out a bit after 8 and then they were wonderful. The waitress not ready for prime time. Aside from the noise, which made conversation impossible, my critique would include the wine list. I usually drink red but the oyster stew called for white. I tried the 2 chardonnays, awful. Ended up with grigio, which was ok. Reasonable prices again but would prefer good wine. Very nice that my cousin could get only 3 oz.
- Great FindBigSurSteveDined on 10/16/2014We had an excellent local wine. The food was great and served quickly. Lots of organic and local food sources (especially the cheeses!). Our server was charming and very engaging. This restaurant would be excellent if located anywhere, but Pt Reyes Station is a little out of the way which made it even more of a great find.Special Features:
- Not up to par.DynastyVIPDined on 10/16/2014We usually love this place but today's visit was very disappointing.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun placeFalconVIPDined on 9/13/2014The wait staff were lots of fun and the food was excellent. We ordered a bottle of wine, and Dave came over to speak to us about one of his favorite cabs. Very nice evening.Special Features:
- A day at Pt ReyesMsMjDined on 9/13/2014We had an early 5:30PM dinner on Saturday. I had to make reservations because they were booked from 5:45 to 7:15PM. You guessed it we were going to a performance at the Dance Palace. (Which was great BTW) My dinner was really good. We started with Drakes Bay oysters on the half shell with garlic butter. Then my girl friend and I had duck confit hash, yummy. One friend had Fish and Chips, another the rack of 8 ribs. I tasted the ribs and they were rich, meaty, with a delicious sauce. We passed on dessert. The pièce de résistance was the puff pastry rolls served before and with the meal. Everyone loved them but me, I'm gluten free. I had mashed potatoes. Great food. great company. great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingCurliDined on 9/13/2014Their drinks were good but the food was disappointing. Had clam chowder that was so thick you could stand a spoon up in it and it was luke warm. I should have sent it back. It seemed it had been standing around all day. Thought prices were high as everything was ala carte. After all, we were only in Pt. Reyes. Was hard to know just what to order from the menu. My husband had the polenta which was good but way too much of a good thing if that's all you are going to order. We were with another couple and none of us would go back.Special Features:
- Nice place!KukanaVIPDined on 9/7/2014Loved the fact we could make reservations and walked right in. Service and food was great! We had steamed clams, clam chowder and cobb salad. They have nice beers on tap too! This place is definitely worth the short drive from Marin or the city!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/4/2014Lovely setting. A wonderful well done BLT. Bread pudding to die for.Special Features:
- not too excitingHard2pleaseDined on 8/31/2014This place is just basic and okay. Kind of special, but not too exciting. Noisy. Not great seating for just two people.
- BrunchGaryDined on 8/30/2014The outdoor brunch was fabulous. The omelet was superb and the avocado sandwich was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Natural Ingredients3doxiesDined on 8/30/2014Great fish, oysters, mussels. Wonderful fresh ingredients. Definitely recommend. Eat outside if you can. The noise level inside makes it hard for seniors to hear.Special Features:
- Delicious Fresh Local CuisineAnnieDined on 8/29/2014This is a very enjoyable place to enjoy fresh local seafood, organic veggies, chicken and other meats. The salmon with soy ginger glaze was fantastic. The hot popovers they serve before the meal are excellent. Great service too. We always come here when we visit Point Reyes.Special Features:
- very disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2014This is the first bad review we've written ever on open table. We have eaten at the Station house many times over the last many years. It is usually what you'd expect with good food, fun atmosphere. This time we left before eating. We arrived shortly before our reservation, with no one else waiting.We asked about our table and were told there were 4 minutes before our reservation still!Others were seated who came after us. When they did seat us it was near an open door, though there was another table for 2 just 5 feet away. When we asked they said they could close the door, which was the pathway to the courtyard and would be opened every minute or so! After sitting for a minute we excused ourselves told the hostess we'd not be staying.
- Bland1havershamDined on 8/26/2014we looked forward to this with great anticipation, but the food was bland. my chopped salad was thrown together and included parts of the romaine that you should not include in a salad, the tough, flavorless inner core. the chili was recommended as the best thing on the menu by our waiter, so we ordered a cup. it was room temperature and bland. The duck confit hash sounded great on paper, but the flavor profiles did not meld. the hostess was unfriendly, and while our waiter was nice, he abandoned us after giving us our dessert menu, which we were hoping would save the meal. the pie al a mode was unusual, not in a good way: the crust was salty, the ice cream rock hard and the pie cold.Special Features:
- kumoDined on 8/24/2014The restaurant was very organized and I was seated upon arrival. The waitress was excellent and she had great recommendations. The only small snafu is that po'boys are usually on sub type bread and not square rolls. The oysters were great. This is not a romantic or quiet ambience restaurant. Very rustic casual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Station House Continues to ExcelOMCAFredDined on 8/23/2014We eat at the Station House Cafe several times a year--whenever we're in Pt. Reyes Station. The menu changes just a bit, but it's always good. Popovers were hot this time (they aren't always) and we were offered a second basket after we'd gobbled the first. Dinner was excellent (they are still serving Drakes Bay Oysters--for a while), but they really shine at breakfast. Hangtown Fry, perfectly poached eggs, very good coffee. Nice on a quiet Monday morning. The garden is spectacular but it's rarely warm enough to enjoy it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So goodHeartfoodDined on 8/23/2014Our dinner was excellent. Everything tasty and fresh . Deserts were actually extraordinary and yummy!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodyumintumDined on 8/23/2014Rich and delicious food served with some of the local organic specialties. I had halibut served with asparagus and arugula salad with a delicious butter sauce which made it worthwhile. Local wine and raspberries served with english cream was divine. Pub style ambience in a large open room was noisy but fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic and FriendlySteffi138Dined on 8/17/2014We were visiting from Boston for two days and ended up coming here for four meals (two breakfasts & two dinners) because we loved it so much. Their feta scramble may be the best breakfast I've ever had - the flavors were so fresh and delicious. The dinners were also wonderful, especially the salmon. The service was super friendly and the atmosphere was warm and casual. Oh, and the popovers ruled! Can't wait to go back on our next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow, the oysters!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2014The barbecued oysters with garlic butter were so delicious! I could have eaten the whole dozen myself, but had to share with two others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Place in Pt. Reyes StationSGFoodeaterDined on 8/16/2014The Station House is one of our destinations when we visit Pt. Reyes. Although they have changed the menu somewhat over the past 18 years (some of the Classics have been dropped from the menu) we have never been disappointed. My wife had the Oyster Stew and I had NY steak-both were very well prepared and cooked to order. The service was outstanding. The pop-overs are a Station house classic, they used to be bigger they're just as tasty as ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good option in Point Reyes StationMichaelinsfVIPDined on 8/16/2014We ate there with a group on Saturday afternoon. It was a beautiful, so their patio was perfect. The outdoor seating is perhaps the restaurant's best feature. The food was standard and tasted fine. The service could have been a bit more attentive. Decent option for the area.Special Features:
- Friday night treat!CookieDined on 8/15/2014What a wonderful Friday night treat to take a beautiful drive out to Pt. Reyes and soak in some of the beautiful summer air! We arrived and were promptly seated at our table. While it wasn't my most favorite table, our server was wonderful. The pinot was delicious and complemented our dishes. We had the Turkish figs and house salad to start. And our entree's of the Salmon and Halibut were perfect! We rounded out the evening with some berry pie a la mode and it couldn't have been a more lovely start to the weekend.Special Features:
- Another pleasant meal in the gardenKathysVIPDined on 8/14/2014The Station House is a reliable venue for good food in a lovely setting.Special Features:
- 40 years and CountingCheerfulDined on 8/12/2014This wonderful restaurant has been around for 40 years. When you eat there, you will understand its success. We had oysters for an appetizer, and they were the most delicious we have ever had, probably due to the freshness. We both had the halibut for an entree, and it was equally fresh and tasty. For dessert we had the fudge sunday which was a huge and delicious mountain of ice cream. Service was excellent despite the fact that the place was packed on a Wednesday night. This place is a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a Second TryAmandaDined on 8/10/2014I liked the ambience and the live music here. The popovers were a nice treat! However, our fries were over salted and the chili was a bit bland. I would try this place again in hopes that the seasoning was more balanced. Overall, not a bad late night find on our way home from a hike.Special Features:
- Homey and deliciousNoelNoelVIPDined on 8/8/2014Gourmet food in a casual diner/bistro kind of setting. Some menu items are yummy comfort food, others are fine dining. It's funky and pampering at the same time. Reservations highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for out-of-townersInvernessDined on 8/3/2014We keep coming back. Pleasant choices for the hungry and light-eater, both. Healthful and tasty. Friendly and helpful wait staff. Could be crowded and noisy @ 6:30 on a Sunday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding servicecowabungaDined on 8/3/2014Our waitress Elizabeth was such a pleasure. She greeted us with a big beautiful smile and it was on her face every time she returned to the table. I followed her recommendation when not being able to choose between two dishes, and my meal was fantastic. She certainly added to our wonderful experience.Special Features:
- gg95492Dined on 7/31/2014fried oysters,Caesar salad and great burger cooked to order. All perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 384 reviews are from the Station House Cafe reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014the duck hash was amazing, and the food was great. we really enjoyed the music on blue Monday, the 21st. Paul Knight and friends were outstanding -- was that the legendary Ramblin' Jack Elliott playing with Peter Rowan?Special Features:
- OkActivefoddieVIPDined on 7/13/2014I hadn't been to the Station House Cafe in a few years, and the food was a bit of a disappointment. We ordered the spicy peel n eat shrimp (very yummy actually), the figs with blue cheese (the figs were utterly flavorless), the mussels with fries (mussels were fine, fries were "mheh") and the fish n chips also just "mheh." The service was ok, but when we got the bill our arnold palmers, which came in TINY glasses apparently didn't have free refills as it was $16 dollars for 4 (one drink and refill each). Absurd. But, the popovers are delicious & the burgers and some food others ordered looked good, so perhaps we just didn't order right. Anyways, there are other options in Point Reyes Station and we will be trying those next time.Special Features:
- OK, not greatTastebudVIPDined on 7/13/2014We ate here twice over a long family wedding weekend, once for dinner, once for breakfast. Dinner service was a bit spotty and somewhat too laid back for my taste. I waffled back and forth over the menu and finally went with fish & chips, as I figured it must be a sure bet over by the coast. wrong. the fish was mostly tasteless and mushy/mealy, the batter didn't stick and the fries, while fine, were also a bit mushy from being served under the fish. Breakfast was a basic bacon/egg dish. I asked to sub grits for potatoes - fine - but they came out ice cold. the rest of my dish was fine. We had to flag someone down for drink refills which is always a let-down. If service could be a bit more energetic, more stars would come.Special Features:
- Great food, service relaxed settingGreySnapperDined on 7/7/2014Whenever we visit the Pt. Reyes area we have dinner here. Sometimes we come out for a long day, eat at the Station House and then return home. Two things you will notice almost immediately is that there are A LOT of servers, which means attention will be paid to your table; then as you peruse the menu you will find mouth-watering items made from local ingredients in enough variety to suit any palate. The rest of the experience lives up to these promises.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for food and live musicbrianbDined on 7/6/2014The food here is good but we are generally instigated to drop in for the live music. The restaurant does a great job of providing a venue for local bands of various genres to perform. They also make a good effort to seat patrons near the band insofar as possible if this is requested with the reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable evening !!RobertaDined on 7/3/2014Had a lovely evening here at the Station House Café. Food was very good - BBQ Oysters and the Chicken Panzanella both very tasty, and we all loved the popovers as the bread service. It was the holiday weekend, so that had the place pretty busy which resulted in service being a little slow, but nothing we could not live with. We will be back here again! Worth the ride from the Bay Area.Special Features:
- So good we kept going back!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/1/2014In this small town of few choices, we were lucky to have a recommendation. No cell service at our "resort" so we booked a table online with open table. We LOVE this place. Glad we did because there was a 45 min wait. Too many good choices that we decided we would need to try again. Breakfast & 2 din in 2 days. Yum. Closed on Wednesdays & nothing in this town stays open very late. Enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great onion rings!FoodieVIPDined on 6/29/2014The burgers were really good, but the onion rings were great! Lovely outdoor venue.Special Features: