State and Lake Chicago Tavern
201 N State St
Chicago, IL 60601Neighborhood:
Downtown / Loop
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
State and Lake Chicago Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://stateandlakechicago.com/
- Phone: 3122399400x
- Hours of Operation:
BREAKFAST Monday-Friday: 6:30am-11am
LUNCH Monday-Friday: 11am-4pm
DINNER Monday - Thursday: 4pm-11pm, Friday-Saturday: 4pm-2am, Sunday: 4pm-10pm
WEEKEND BRUNCH 7am - 2pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Kevin Atkinson
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: WEDNESDAY: Live Blues Music 8PM
FRIDAY AND SATURDAY: Live Acoustic Music 9PM
SUNDAY: Live Country Music 5pm
- Special Events: If you are interested in booking a private event, please contact our Restaurant Sales Department at (312) 239-9563 or by email at email@example.com
A word from State and Lake Chicago Tavern
Offering Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Weekend Brunch utilizing local and regional ingredients, Chef Kevin Atkinson's menu is composed of small plates and larger entrees. Artisanal beer selections – many from the Midwest – pair gracefully with the fare as does State and Lake Chicago Tavern's extensive wine list and handcrafted, classic cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
State and Lake Chicago Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
77 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (26)vibrant bar scene (17)fit for foodies (16)good for groups (15)neighborhood gem (15)late-night find (9)great for brunch (8)hot spot (8)romantic (6)kid-friendly (5)special occasion (4)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Lost reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/16/2014I had reservations for 6:15; which were confirmed via a phone call from the restraunt the afternoon of. Unfortunately, when my friend arrived she was told there was no reservation under my name. Upon my arrival, I showed the hostess my open table reservation and also verified that the restraunt had callede that very day. In any event after a 1 hour wait we were finay seated. After being seated the table next to us also confirmed that their reaervations had been "lost" as well. Epic fail from state and lake
- ChaosOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014They pack too many people into the space. We felt like we were part of at least two other couples conversation, but yet could not carry on be if our own. Food was good but the environment was terrible, unless you like tight crowds.Special Features:
- DisappointedKarenChrVIPDined on 10/14/2014Our daughter lives in Atlanta. We've gotten to know the Concentric restaurant group through many great meals at their restaurants down there. We love Parish and Murphys and were looking forward to dining at their Chicago outpost, State and Lake. The food didn't disappoint but the service was not to par.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The After PartyMandyKDined on 10/4/2014We went to State and Lake after a show at the Chicago Theater. We started off with a great dinner - we both had the NY strip. Very juicy and well seasoned. The veggies were slightly over-salted for my taste, but still good. The service was a bit slow - we probably would have ordered another round of drinks or dessert, but the server didn't come back around after the first round. What we did get was very good. They had live music which was great. The only downside to that is there was some kind of piano bar thing going on upstairs that was drowning out the singer downstairs. Overall - wonderful experience. We would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mimosa Bar!JessDined on 10/4/2014I have never seen a Mimosa bar. It was pretty awesome. They had different juices you could put in your champagne with different fruit too. They also had a Bloody Mary bar, but I don't like Bloody Maries. To eat I got the chicken and waffles. It was delicious. Really cute atmosphere too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best waiter ever!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014My girlfriends and I were on a girl's trip to Chicago and tried this place. It wasn't very busy for a Saturday night which surprised us because the drinks were amazing and the food was very tasty. We had the best waiter, Patrick! He took the best care of us, made honest recommendations about the menu, and made our dining experience fun and memorable!! Would definitely recommend this place! Make sure to order the pretzel appetizer--puts all others to shame!!Special Features:
- AMERICAN CUISINEOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/5/2014Great burgers!! Service was good and food was delicious. Great location too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will come backOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/22/2014Good place for a quick bite, thought that $18 dollars for a glass of wine was a little over the top, but it was convenient, and that was the name of the game.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attention to detailaplarchVIPDined on 8/19/2014Our server was excellent-she followed my guest from the bar and was very attentive and friendly. Made it a very nice lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationBirthdayGirlDined on 8/9/2014Great location, Great food, and Great Service. I came with a party of 7 for a birthday dinner and the place was just right. It is classy and nice but it also has a fun and young vibe to it.Special Features:
- We will be backMichelle7280VIPDined on 8/8/2014We are so disappointed it took us this long to finally try their food. Green fried tomatoes, great! The local cheeses with puree/jam, definitely satisfied my cheese craving, and good local beer list as well! Service was just right. We will be back again soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice....butCityGDined on 8/8/2014This place is very nice and the food was good but the waitress over serviced herself. too much checking in for water, etc. We were constantly interreputed during our dinner conversation...very nice other wise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a great breakfastparis63Dined on 8/7/2014Right in the center of all activities, this great restaurant had the best reviews for breakfast and that's why we went. It was indeed a great place! Great service, great ambiance, great food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!FoodieatheartDined on 8/1/2014I went here with a large group for my birthday and everything was fabulous! The food was amazing the drinks were delicious and the service was awesome! I had my first Bloody Mary ever there and I have to say I would go back again and again. The server was attentive and they made sure everything was perfect with our food and experience. I was nervous with it being lollapalooza weekend, but they handled it beautifully.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BlahBrittanyVIPDined on 7/31/2014My husband and I decided to try this place for my birthday. From the moment we walked in, the staff was amazing! We ordered the hot pretzel appetizer, it was burned and tasteless. We both ordered burgers cooked medium, they came out well done and VERY dry. It's too bad that the ambience of the place is great, the staff is fantastic but the food is terrible. We didn't send any of our food back or make any complaints because we were in a hurry to get to a show. We will not be returning to State and Lake.
- FlavorfulA1foodieDined on 7/29/2014Interesting menu that changes often per our server. We ordered a few appetizers and shared. Great cocktail in Farmers Daughter! We also tried two desserts, Peach Pop and an coconut espresso ice cream sandwich, both yummy.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/27/2014They ran out of their advertised special in the afternoon. The restaurant was very crowded and not laid out to create a comfortable experience. The two seat tables were in an "L", where your legs banged into the other person. While service was good, not sure why they had to make the place so cramped.
- high pricesnicekateniceDined on 7/27/2014Our waiter was very good. The food was but over priced.Special Features:
- Pre-theatre findOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2014Interesting menu with atypical items. Everything that we were brought was superb. We arrived late for our reservation. The staff could not have been more wonderful in general and in accommodating our needs to make the opening curtain.Special Features:
- Only okayPCM716VIPDined on 7/23/2014Fairly limited menu, inconsistent wait staff. The 'pots' with the spreads were really good but the Cobb salad didn't have all of the touted ingredients - missing the egg. Easy spot before concert at Chicago Theater though.
- Good food!Lima14Dined on 7/15/2014Great place to go for a work lunch. Service was good (could have been a litlte quicker) and the food was flavorful!Special Features:
- Best Corned Beef HashdcfoodieVIPDined on 7/15/2014Corned beef hash has such promise on menus yet rarely does it live up to expectations. It either tends to be too small, not enough corned beef, too many potatoes, eggs over done - something, there is always something. However, this is not the case at State and Lake. This was by far the best I ever had. It was filling - to the point where I could not finish. Chunky corned beef, that threatened to be too salty, but reminds me of good corned beef. The potatoes were excellent, and the eggs cooked to perfection. I went to breakfast at 9:30 on a Tuesday, so the place was quiet. That being said, seating could be an issue as the hostess's first attempt was at a banquette positioned tightly against the table a side me.Special Features:
- Not greatKathleen3704Dined on 7/11/2014Long time for waitress to come, had to flag down a different waiter to help us get out server. The food was tasty, but cool, when it should have been hot.
- Great food but awesome beer list.Raider357LovesBeerDined on 7/10/2014The restaurant was busy at 7pm but died down around 8p. The service was very good. The food was very good and every item was original in its presentation and taste. The beer options were fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great place to drink and eatErinfromYpsiDined on 6/29/2014We were so glad we stumbled onto State and Lake. We had our young kids with us (4 and 2 years old) and they had kid's options they like (mac and cheese, grilled cheese, chicken tenders). The adults LOVED the beer selection. The root beer beer was absolutely amazing and all the other choices we great for those that like craft beers. The food was also really good. Mussels and fries, Cobb salad and broccoli were all delicious! I would return next time we're in Chicago!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/29/2014The fried chicken was very good. Biscuits not very good. Service, okay. Were out of 2 of the things we ordered and the wine we ordered. Music was pretty loud.Special Features:
- Unpleasantly surprisedturin1Dined on 6/28/2014Arrived 6:20 for a pre-theater dinner. Seated & explained our time constraints-no problem. Placed drink orders. 25 long min later delivered & placed dinner order(3 salads & burger). Asked for bread & waited another 15 min-no butter or oil. Asked for oil & got tiny saucer 10 min later. Asked about our order-soon……7:30 talked to manager-1 order away. Finally 1 salad came, 5 min-1 burger, 5 min another salad, 5 min last salad. How uncomfortable to eat while others are waiting, but we had no time. By the time the last salad came we had to shovel our food down & rush out for show at 8. Mngr comped our drinks, but he couldn't comp our botched dining experience. Food was good, but stay onto of the waitstaff if you goSpecial Features:
- At least the server was goodPony97Dined on 6/28/2014The waiter was very good and attentive. Other than that it was a mediocre experience. The food took a long time to get to us and the desert took what seemed like forever to arrive (and it wasn't complicated). My wife's chicken was overcooked, my pork tenderloin was good, but the portions were pretty small making it easy to have room for desert.
- Good Waiter Slow KitchenScotland4Dined on 6/28/2014Our waiter was very nice, but had to apologize several times about the delays. Took 30 minutes for salads and over an hour for entrée.
- Inadequate servicetheatregoer1Dined on 6/28/2014We dined there Saturday night with a 6:15 reservation. We informed our server we were catching an 8 pm show at the Goodman. Our food did not come out until 7:25 pm, and it was only a salad and a cauliflower dish we ordered. There was no reason given for the kitchen back up, only that a lot of people came at once. It was not even busy by 7 pm. I will not return. One needs to know that they can have dinner and get to the theatre in time.
- The following 651 reviews are from the State and Lake Chicago Tavern reviews archive.
- Mediocre overallNewbieDined on 6/13/2014I think the atmosphere of the restaurant was great! All of the food I had was mediocre so I was a little disappointed.Special Features:
- Convenient, Quality SpotMyopineDined on 6/7/2014Great fun tailgating/watching/cheering on a hopeful Triple Crown winner before catching Eddie Izzard next door at the Chicago Theatre. Good selection of craft brews but extended stays can bring home a pricey bill. Altogether a "Win Place and Show".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service mediocre foodChidinerVIPDined on 5/22/2014There are many other much better restaurants in Chicago; I would stay away from this one. The service was horrible. They lost our Open Table reservation. While they did seat us quickly after arriving, it was 15 minutes before any server came by to even say hello. Our beers finally arrived at the table 35 minutes after we sat down. It was almost an hour before our food showed up. The charcuterie plate was unimpressive. One of our main entries came cold and had clearly been sitting around in the kitchen for a while. Our other entry -- pork loin -- was OK but certainly not worth the wait. This is one of my worst experiences in the past two years. Other than the apologetic manager, the staff was either aloof or rude.
- Good LunchskachelDined on 5/17/2014We had a wonderful lunch there. Fun and tasty cocktails and very good food. I would eat there again.Special Features:
- better bar than restaurantMarkGVIPDined on 5/6/2014Went to State & Lake for a business lunch. Service was fine and enabled us to get in and out on time. Food was disappointing. Guest had brat salad, which was just a bowl of lettuce with a sliced brat tossed on top - rather boring. I had the brat sandwich, which was overwhelmed by the onions and half pint of mustard.
- Not theatre-friendlyserviceDined on 4/29/2014This restaurant is on the Chicago Theatre's website as being "theatre friendly", that all we had to do was say we were seeing a show and we would get fast service. That was not at all the case! It took a full 30 minutes to get the salads, and by the time the entrees arrived, it was time for us to go. We ended up inhaling our food and still being late for our show. Very disappointing.
- A must Visit ...For sureFooddiva4lifeDined on 4/20/2014Great restaurant to visit not matter what time of day or year. I happened to be there on Easter Sunday 2014 and we made reservations for Brunch. The place is very trendy, new and the staff was really, really friendly. The Restaurant Manager was sociable and made sure to come to our table, introduced herself, and gave us her business cards. These simple gestures on her part made me and my friend return customers for life for sure!!! The food was amazing and they also had a brunch bar so you could make your own mixed drinks. We came back the next day to check out the atmosphere and surprisingly enough there was a wedding party "pre-wedding" visiting for drinks. The bartenders were lovely and we had an awesome time. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth it for the priceJohnnyBDined on 4/16/2014Took my son here for dinner before seeing a concert at the Chicago Theatre. Staff was friendly but there was confusion seating us. Living in Chicago and having eaten and many Chicago restaurants via this strikes me as an overpriced tourist trap. Blaring music, mismatched decor, overpriced food. Service: friendly but confused, unacceptable wait times for drinks and food Food: Passable but overpriced...smoked wings were good but they were served with maple popcorn on top...strange attempt at a garnish (slightly charred and soggy sitting in the wing sauce)...steak was too charred on outside, diced root vegetables served with it were paltry and dry...burger too big to eat comfortably and unremarkable. Better choices for the money IMHO.
- Easy pre - show choiceAK47VIPDined on 4/12/2014The best thing about this place is its proximity to the Chicago Theatre. Food was fine, service was fine and they respected our timeline to get to the show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to dine beforeJamesVIPDined on 4/12/2014Great place to dine before attending a show at the Chicago Theater. Food and service were excellent. Good variety of food on the menu. I would highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.