Starving Artist Cafe
411 Main Street
North Little Rock, AR 72114Neighborhood:
North Little Rock
ContinentalPrice: $30 and under
Starving Artist Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.starvingartistcafe.net/
- Phone: 501-372-7976
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday, 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Friday - Saturday, 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Dinner and a Show: Tuesday, 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Provencal
- Executive Chef: Jason Morell
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer full caterings services, both off-site and on-site.
- Private Party Facilities: Our incredible art-filled dining room is for rent 7 nights a week and seats up to 100. Our New Orleans-style patio is also for rent 7 nights a week and seats up to 40.
- Private Party Contact: Karen Martin 501-772-7602
- Entertainment: Starving Artist Cafe' offers solo and duo live musicians. We also feature painters working on pieces while you dine.
- Special Events: Tuesday nights, Dinner and Show for Tales from the South Radio Show, an internationally-syndicated radio show that features Southerners telling their own true stories. Live music by local musicians. Come have a fantastic meal and be part of our live audience!
A word from Starving Artist Cafe
Starving Artist Cafe' is an award-winning European-style cafe' in the heart of the Argenta Arts District in downtown North Little Rock. Owned and operated by Chef Jason Morell and his wife Paula. Starving Artist Cafe' features gourmet salads, panini, crepes, fish and pasta specials for lunch, and adds fresh seafood, steak, and other delicious entrees for dinner. All soups, sauces, salad dressings, and breads are made fresh in-house daily. Reminiscent of a French artists' loft, the walls are covered with the works of local artists (all for sale), and you can watch painters paint or enjoy listening to a musician play as you dine on Chef Jason's delights. Enjoy al fresco dining on the New Orleans-style patio. Starving Artist Cafe' was voted Runner-Up for Best New Restaurant (2007) and then Runner-Up for Best Overall Restaurant (2008) by locals. Located on Trolley Stop #1, this is one gem you won't want to miss!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Starving Artist Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014Thanks so much for making our meal with a group of 21 fun and trouble free. Food was great and service was too.Special Features:
- Great food, not fit for large groupDBreedDined on 4/10/2014This was not my first time to Starving Artist and certainly will not be my last, but will not go back with a large group again. Service was incredibly slow, but I do understand that serving 15 people is not the easiest task. Other times I have been here service was excellent! Food is always delicious, you can tell it is made with a little extra care and time. I highly recommend any sandwich with the mozzarella cheese - DELICIOUS! Never had a bad meal at Starving Artist. You should also check out their Tuesday night Tales from the South, very fun and entertaining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lack of everythingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014Pretty much says it all. Not much there. Not food, not drinks, and not people. Would never recommend.
- romantic, hip, yummydogtownieDined on 2/14/2014loved the food. the tables were a little close, but it didn't bother me. lots of art and pretty things to look at. the chef's daughter was handing out homemade valentines with rosebuds on them to everyone (so sweet).Special Features:
- A Valentines To RememberSteaksRgreatDined on 2/14/2014The Blue Cheese Crusted Flat Iron Steak was absolutely delicious! We cannot wait to return and try other courses. This was our first visit but will not be the last. Also our server was great and very friendly. I believe his name was David. Thanks for all the hardwork that made our night unforgettable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's Day MistakeLuv2DineDined on 2/14/2014This restaurant has a cool vibe to it. The walls are covered with art and jazz music is playing in the background. We started our Valentine's Day dinner with a few drinks and an appetizer. It took nearly an hour for the appetizer to come to the table. Once it arrived, the portion was small and seemed to be overcooked. We anxiously awaited our main course to come. My wife ordered a steak and I ordered the salmon. The steak and salmon were quite good and perfectly cooked. The side of potatoes was definitely undercooked. The potatoes were not able to be cut with a fork and were difficult to chew. We were one of the first diners in the restaurant when they opened yet it took 1 hour and 45 mins for a seemingly simple meal.Special Features:
- Overall a pleasant surpriseKkriggsDined on 12/20/2013We ate at Starving Artist before a show at Verizon. The service was slow and the food was good. It seemed a bit pricey but the portions were large. Crusted fish was flaky and moist once thick over -saved breading was removed. The spicy chicken and sausage linguini was great. You must try the orange crepes. The chocolate creme brûlée needed a thicker, crustier top. The chocolate cream was creamy and rich.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Our Favorite PlacesAbsoluteDooleyDined on 10/25/2013Since my wife has a degree in art, she absolutely loves this place. I have a great appreciation for art as well, and I love it. The chef is amazing! We have gone about 5/6 times and the food is awesome every time, for lunch and dinner. Go there! Eat food! Enjoy the art scene!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is ALWAYS good!!!Jagray731Dined on 10/18/2013I have had many lunches and dinners here and the food is consistently good! It is noisy when it is packed up, but the ambience is worth the noise!!!Special Features:
- Trolley LineOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/15/2013Decent food in artsy locale. Accessible via trolley and in quiet neighborhood away from hustle/bustle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre concert dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/3/2013We had a wonderful Mel prior to the Fleetwood Mc concert. Despite being busy - sold out busy- service and food were well worth the stop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food with reasonableCRH1Dined on 4/27/2013Great food with reasonable prices. Will definitely go again for a date night or with the kids.Special Features:
- Great place- the kind youOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/9/2013Great place- the kind you want in your own neighborhood. Solid meal and service throughout the night.Special Features:
- Had the three-course meal,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/2/2013Had the three-course meal, food was delicious. Service was excellent, she kept the food coming and checked on us often. We'll be back!Special Features:
- I really enjoyed my visitOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/2/2013I really enjoyed my visit at the Starving Artist Cafe. I had a lunch special, a pasta dish with chicken and broccoli, that was delicious. The prices are extremely reasonable for this very good restaurant. I look forward to going back whenever my travels take me to North Little Rock again.Special Features:
- This place is noisy and theSrgnFshVIPDined on 2/16/2013This place is noisy and the food is so, so. The biggest attraction is Tales from the South "storytelling" on Tuesday nights, that it would be worth coming back for, otherwise, I would not bother.
- Everything here was wonderful,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Everything here was wonderful, food, service and the menu were all wonderful. The only small downfall is the fact that it is a very open environment and quite noisy when full therefore it's not nessesarily the place to have a quiet, private dinner. But I also feel the closeness to other people is part of the social aspect around the art.Special Features:
- this place was super loudOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2013this place was super loud the kitchen was so smoky that it made my eyes burnSpecial Features:
- Ate lunch and dinner there.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/9/2013Ate lunch and dinner there. Both good experiences.Special Features:
- A Must!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/2/2013Hands down the best salmon patties I have ever had. Stopped in to get a bite to eat while staying in Little Rock for the evening, from Atlanta. The salmon patty salad is unbelievable. I am craving it as I write this. Oh, how could I forget, the endive salad was out of this world. I am a big foodie and have tried many things, if you are it is well worth the stop. Not town ruin the cute restaurant itself with local artist work all around you. Thanks!Special Features:
- Starving artist cafe, as always,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/5/2013Starving artist cafe, as always, maintains classic dishes with creative specials. The food is outstanding, the service is outstanding and the ambience complements the restaurants consistent them. Food, wine, art.Special Features:
- Great Night Out!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/16/2012I love this Place! The food was amazing, the service was outstanding, and it was a great evening!Special Features:
- Love Starving Artist Cafe!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/9/2012Love Starving Artist Cafe! Fresh and good food, great soups and crepes! Locally owned, a great atmosphere and reasonally priced.Special Features:
- Great food, lots of fun!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/28/2012The food was spectacular, even on a super busy night! There were several large birthday parties going on and the place was packed. Which is great to see at a small locally owned establishment! The specials were amazing, along with some great cocktails!Special Features:
- We were in Little Rock onOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/4/2012We were in Little Rock on vacation and we were happy that we chose this restaurant.w Great place..great food. Good way to get the flavor of the area.Special Features:
- The watermelon/tomato saladOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/21/2012The watermelon/tomato salad was delish! I wish I had the recipe for the salad dressing. Our server was helpful and delightful. We LOVE the local art and the fact that they gave us a card telling us about Tales of the South with radio broadcasts. The price point was great. One tiny discomfort; the seat was hard and uncomfortable and no room to cross your legs under the table.Special Features:
- Our reservation was at 7:00OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/13/2012Our reservation was at 7:00 p.m. We were seated immediately upon arrival. While the dinner menu was not extensive, there was enough variety to satisfy the four diners. I had the pork tenderloin w/apple chutney and it was excellent. Our server was knowledgeable about the menu and anticipated our every need. All in all a very pleasant dining experience. I will definitely return, and I highly recommend.Special Features:
- Excellent location in a vibrantmudjeepDined on 3/10/2012Excellent location in a vibrant area. Loved the art on the walls.Special Features:
- Great Find!!! Staff was superOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/10/2012Great Find!!! Staff was super nice. We had a large group and they were incredibly accommodating. Food was great!Special Features:
- It.was extremely busy becauseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/1/2012It.was extremely busy because of the jimmy buffet concert so service with someone affected. still good though. I have been there several times in our waiter is always the same and and he does a great job. the menu fairy in as always excellent. they serve real food prepared by real chef.Special Features:
- Not To Miss!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012Either lunch or dinner, you will find the perfect choice on the menu. I have enjoyed the restaurant from time to time since they were on 7th street in Little Rock. Wonderful atmosphere, good service, great food. Everyone should pop in for a visit!Special Features:
- Starving Artist Cafe is aOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012Starving Artist Cafe is a vital part of the increasingly vibrant Argenta area. Its great food and fine art make it easily my favorite place to dine downtown.Special Features:
- We are 'regulars' there.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/3/2012We are 'regulars' there. The food this time was the best yet. Outstanding. Best thing, however, is the sharing with others, of the "Tales from the South" storytelling, and music. A great cultural experienceSpecial Features:
- Excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/27/2011Excellent food and service mixed with an array of art!Special Features:
- Great night at a great restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/12/2011The restaurant was amazing, and the serv ice was outstanding! I ate with a party of 6 friends that hadn't seen eachother in a while so we we're quite boisterous! The Server never missed a beat, she kept our meal moving perfectly in pace with our carrying on! The food, including some new appetizers and entres, was outstanding! The new Polenta appetizer was out of this world and the pork medalions in a balsamic reduction...amazing!Special Features:
- My mother gave me a gift cardOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/5/2011My mother gave me a gift card for my bday for your establishment. I was not excited about and in fact I just told my wife to give it away. We decided to have dinner there last friday night and it was one of the best meals we have ever had!Special Features:
- Fantastic, as always. WeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2011Fantastic, as always. We were there for the taping of Tales From the South, but lunch is also great. (Last night was more of getting out for a special occasion for us.) Now I know what a blueberry charlotte is!Special Features:
- I was there to listen to myOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2011I was there to listen to my friend read his essay; I had never been to the cafe before. The food and drinks were delicious. We enjoyed the art on the walls -- it made a fun atmosphere better! My group of 10 had an enjoyable dinner together!Special Features:
- Great location. Been thereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2011Great location. Been there many times for lunch, but this was my first time for dinner. 2 people in my party, I enjoyed my meal while my partner found it lacking considering the hype that abounds in respect to the restaurant's menu. House specialty drinks were the absolute best part. The Hemingway's Key Lime is to die for. Make sure to keep your waiter's attention, as we had to submit our dinner and dessert orders seperately since our waitress kept walking off. Watch what evening you make your reservation for, as well. Starving Artist holds a radio show on Tuesday evenings, so if you are looking for a quiet dinner you should check on a different day. Overall it is decent, but you could find the same food at a cheaper price elsewhere.Special Features:
- The night we had dinner, itOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/15/2011The night we had dinner, it was the 3rd Friday Art Walk which meant the place was packed. As busy as they were, they still managed to deliver the food in a timely manner. Everything was DELICIOUS! Friendly and efficient staff. Great pieces of art adorn the walls providing you with "something to look at" while you enjoy a fantastically prepared meal. I just can't say enough great things about this little gem in North Little Rock.Special Features: