Stars Restaurant - Rooftop & Grill Room
495 King Street
Charleston, SC 29403Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Stars Restaurant - Rooftop & Grill Room
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://starsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8435770100x
- Hours of Operation:
Bar Hours: 4pm-2am, 7 days a week
Sunday- Thursday: 5:00pm-10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm-11:00pm
Saturday Brunch: 10:30am-2:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:30am-2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Nathan Thurston
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Dancing, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Stars Restaurant - Rooftop & Grill Room
Stars Rooftop & Grill Room brings the art of live fire cooking to Charleston. Executive Chef Joe Dimaio exemplifies an artistic appreciation for live fire cooking by focusing on the details of each dish – the seasoning, balance, pairing and presentation. The restaurant has a full bar and grill room on the first floor and event space on the second floor. The rooftop bar has a 360-degree view of downtown Charleston and can accommodate up to 140 people. Dedicated to serving locally sourced food within 100 miles of Charleston, Stars’ food and beverage menus are fresh and seasonal. Stars brings a new tradition of open flame cuisine to Charleston and is not to be missed.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Stars Restaurant - Rooftop & Grill Room - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Stars Restaurant - Rooftop & Grill Room reviews from OpenTable diners
156 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
special occasion (80)vibrant bar scene (76)good for groups (68)fit for foodies (67)hot spot (57)romantic (41)notable wine list (38)scenic view (33)neighborhood gem (30)late-night find (27)great for brunch (24)great for outdoor dining (11)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (6)Show More
- Beautiful placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Loved the booths, the lighting, and the space. It was a welcome break from being crowded in and hearing what other diners were saying and doing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a cocktail, not brunchShannaeDined on 9/14/2014I've been to Stars on numerous occasions for evening drinks with friends but never brunch so we decided to check it out. What a scam! The food on their "hot" brunch buffet was bland, not hot, and some of if down right gross. The only thing that I felt was edible was the shrimp and grits. To top it off $25 bucks for brunch, not including booze is a little steep especially with that kind of food. I'll definitely be back for evening cocktails but never again for brunch. I'll just walk across the street to a fantastic brunchery, Rarebit.Special Features:
- moonbirdDined on 9/13/2014Loved the Kale Salad and Steak. Pluff Mud pudding was the best dessert. Waiter was great. Tap wine was fun and interesting. Roof Top was a little too crowded, but it is the "hot spot".Special Features:
- NoisyTessDined on 9/13/2014This restaurant is not for those wanting to hold a conversation. Extremely loud! Food was good but not special. Server was great and knowledgeableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3 stars for StarsScottVIPDined on 9/13/2014Six for restaurant week, online menu looked great. Two had trout, three had steak and one a burger. Starters were kale salad, crab hushpuppies and bacon tater tots. Kale salad was salty, did not appear to have all the listed ingredients and was gritty; perhaps from insufficient washing. Crab balls tasted like old bay seasoning not crab and the tater tots had little or no bacon. The trout was delicious as was the rice, with okra, sausage and tomato. The steak tasted good cooked perfectly but the truffle grits barely tasted like truffle. The desserts looked incredible, the pluff mud pudding was on the loose side but the topping on the smores was incredible. People waiting to access the bar were quite a distraction. Service a 10+Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great rooftop and restaurantTheDiningDivaVIPDined on 9/13/2014We arrived early and went to the rooftop bar. The rooftop is charming, lovely plantings and view of church steeples. I didn't order wine as Stars uses wine going through a tap rather than bottles. Our drinks were good, rooftop bar was clean, weather nice. We went downstairs for restaurant week menu. No food is served rooftop. Restaurant was noisy. Service was excellent. Restaurant was clean. I ordered steak with grits and mushrooms, very good. This dish is highlighted on their regular menu. The portion was small. I am a big eater. My husband ordered a burger, and said is was good as well. The appetizer choice was curried hush puppies with crab or kale salad. The kale salad was delicious, curried hush puppies, unremarkable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish!!BestBrunchEverDined on 9/13/2014Not sure how we found them, but we are so glad we did. We went there for their Saturday brunch and could not be happier! The fried chicken Benedict and pecan crusted french toast were amazing! Well worth the price. We will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud, but greatLindaDined on 9/12/2014Delicious dinner & excellent service. Don't expect to be able to converse at your table without shouting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy with Attention to DetailJimboelrodDined on 9/12/2014Great service, atmosphere and food...We felt like "special" guestsSpecial Features:
- Nice Rooftop BarsherrybethVIPDined on 9/12/2014We dined during restaurant week which included a 3 course meal. The food and service were good, prices moderate, atmosphere was a bit noisy for our taste. Appetizers were ham and melon on toast and the kale salad. Entrees were trout and steak. The food was tasty, cooked well and portions were moderate. For dessert, the pluff pudding was the best, a bit of chocolate mouse with salted toffee brickles. Skip the bland Whoppie Pie. We ate in the dining room but I did walk up to the rooftop bar. They do have an elevator. There was a private party at the front as that is where the best views were; however, the back side was really nice for more intimate conversation and cocktails. Well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent for Restaurant WeekGregVIPDined on 9/9/2014Several friends met on a Tuesday night for Charleston Restaurant Week. Although this can be hit-or-miss, Stars was an excellent choice. They offered very good selections for appetizers, entrees, and desserts. In fact, the portions were larger than necessary, and we were stuffed before dessert arrived. This is a testament to the adequate portions served during Restaurant Week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2014Loved the staff at Stars! Very attentive and the food was very good! Second time here and was not disappointed. Didnt make it upstairs to the Rooftop Bar but I suspect it was doing a great business, as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful EveningCindylouDined on 9/1/2014This was a new place for a local couple. A bit on the higher end of costs but very well worth a great date night. We went to the rooftop bar after dinner and enjoyed a wonderful atmosphere and great service. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- good food, exp drinks and slow svcsteelerfan1Dined on 8/31/2014830 reservation....4 patron Marguerita s were 55 plus tip....wtf? Can get two bottles of patron for that. Trout oysters risotto all delish...creme brulee yum... appetizers were on time but waited an additional 45min for food...waiter dodged us and sent other people to our table for everything and was awkward in general conversation. Really loud. Had to yell across the table to speak to people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Sunday BrunchCountryLocalDined on 8/31/2014The food was over the top! Service was excellent, seating was comfortable and yes, we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BonBonsezDined on 8/31/2014The brunch on Sunday was very good. Service was great and loved the atmosphere of this restaurant. I am a big fan of booth seating, so this was a great spot for me. A little on the noisy side, but the restaurant was very busy. Will go earlier next time. Parking was a nightmare so will need to plan ahead next time!Special Features:
- great foodDavidVIPDined on 8/30/2014Our first time. I think some sound boards would help. Quite loud. Lots of young adults. Service and food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So disappointedcharlottebugDined on 8/28/2014I had high expectations since it such a beautiful place. But the food didn't live up to the atmosphere. It was cold and without flavor. Trout was over cooked. Okra looked good, but tasted like styrofoam. Really disappointed.
- Awesome experience!GinGreenDined on 8/23/2014Our party of six sincerely enjoyed dinner on busy Saturday night in the heart of downtown Charleston.Special Features:
- Wonderful mealjerricaVIPDined on 8/23/2014We really enjoyed our first visit to this restaurant. Food was excellent, especially the duck bun appetizers. Service was also excellent, our waiter checked on us and was knowledgeable about the menu. The Saturday night that we went, we also noticed multiple bachelorette parties going on so it seems like a hip place. I highly recommend the Pluff Mud Pudding dessert!Special Features:
- Another incredible dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Another great dinner experience at Stars! This resturant is our new "go to". We bring all our guest there for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So soJeffDined on 8/19/2014The service was great. The food was mediocre at best. We got the mussels for a appetizer which were good but I got the lobster grits and wasn't impressed at all the lobster was grossly overcooked the best part of the dish was the cauliflower. I talked to people at work the next day and they experienced the same thing. Great service with mediocre food.
- Great foodDewdealerDined on 8/16/2014This was second time at Stars. We have enjoyed both times and food was excellent. We can't afford it regularly as it is rather pricy, but for special occasions we enjoy it.Special Features:
- great brunch with nice atmosphereGlogirlDined on 8/16/2014Our family and friends met at Stars Restaurant for brunch. Some of us had not been together for 20 years! Everyone enjoyed the large selection at the brunch and even the children were happy with the choices they were able to make. As we arrived, everyone greeted us, we had great service, and as we left, they let us know how much they appreciated our patronage. We WILL return!Special Features:
- AlcarrDined on 8/15/2014GREAT rooftop bar with delicious cocktails. Restaurant served outstanding food and had a great wine selection, but the service could have been better for this level of dining. Also, our party of 7 was seated at a booth for 6 with a chair at the end. The booth was only open on one end so it was difficult and inconvenient to get in and out of the booth. The people sitting on the far end of the booth couldn't even hear the waitress. Overall, great dining experience but would have expected a more attentive waitress for the price. It was difficult to get the waitress's attention and she had to be reminded of requests several times. I shouldn't have to request a refill on water and then eat my meal without water at a restaurant of this caliber.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- charlestonfoodieDined on 8/9/2014Great Food and EXCELLENT service. We dine out very frequently and are always trying new spots and this has to be one of our favorites for food. Noise level is high so if you are there to chat it can be rather difficult on rainy days.Special Features:
- awesome experiencelovelyambianceDined on 8/9/2014This has actually been our second time but the entire ambiance and service was great... The food was outstanding...I will telling friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very upbeat, with great food.OccasionalDiningDined on 8/8/2014Upon arriving, I could immediately tell it was a local hotspot, and although it was rather noisy at first, but we were very easily moved to a better seat with no fuss at all. Our server was very nice, and our food came quickly and was very well presented, and tasted fantastic. The wine list was extensive, and we enjoyed it immensely. I would suggest it to anyone who is interested in a place with good food as well as a energetic, upbeat ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingJVBIIIDined on 8/8/2014Not what we expected. We're hoping for a more relaxed, quiet dining experience and had requested a quiet table. Very loud, we're seated next to a large group and was difficult to have a private conversation. Waiter was competent but no personality, food only fair. Many better dining options in Charleston.Special Features:
- ToneymomDined on 8/5/2014We started with a drink on the rooftop--bartender was friendly and engaging. The rooftop was nice although it lacked a great view of the city. Next we went inside the restaurant and had a delightful meal. Our waiter was very helpful in his recommendations (mushroom risotto was delicious as was the bacon tater tots as an appetizer!) The atmosphere was energetic and fun yet romantic at the same time. We would definitely recommend Stars.Special Features:
- Starsmel4659Dined on 8/3/2014I thought it was very good, but we were disappointed the roof isn't for dining when we were specifically looking for rooftop dining. It didn't diminish the food though. The bull oyster appetizer was the favorite, and wine on tap is unique!Special Features:
- Wonderful Evening at StarsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014We couldn't have asked for a better dinner experience! Our server, Phillip,was outstanding in every way - very knowledgable, professional, and giving us the perfect "pace" to our dinner. We will return often to try some of the other offerings on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Only ate here once and found the restaurant to be very nice and upscale, which is what I was looking for. The service was excellent. My problem was with the menu selection, didn't care for the selection of side items served with the entrees. And the grilled salmon was not as great as I would have expected. A very nice place and will probably try again sometime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was just okUStrvlrerwith4kidsDined on 8/1/2014We were unable to get reservations anywhere. This was available. No kids menu. Unlike many other great resturants. Limited menu. Food was good. Very loud...would try something next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationFineDineDined on 7/26/2014We had the bruschetta special containing hand made sausage and peppers and onions topped with cheese. It was cooked perfectly and the presentation was wonderful-delicious too! We visited the roof top bar and has great service even with their limited alcohol choices. It was hot but we found a cool place in the shade with a fan blowing making it very relaxing. We didn't have any drinks with dinner as we had them upstairs before dinner. The scallops were big! Yes, you only get three but they were cooked to perfection and the other veggies on the plate helped make it a filling meal. The 6oz. sirloin with grits was cooked and presented beautifully! I could see how this would get mixed reviews but we had a wonderful time! Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Not my kind of menubergerqueenDined on 7/23/2014I am not a foodie nor am I a fan of low country cooking which makes it tough living in Charleston. Finding food that's not spicy or heavy here is difficult so please understand my review based on my personal tastes. I had the mushroom risotto with asparagus. the flavor was great but unmentioned on the menu, it had a heavy dose of cracked pepper. My husband's spit roasted chicken was way too smokey flavored and tasted underdone...he loved it tho. But as he continued to eat it he found a large portion uncooked which he couldn't eat. drinks on the roof was pleasant and a happening place, but had to return my Mohito as it was undrinkable. And the view is not as interesting as other rooftop bars like Vendue.Special Features:
- 50th birthdaymac1Dined on 7/20/2014By surprise my wife made reservations at stars for my 50th birthday. We were quickly greeted and seated by a very pleasant host. Drinks came next and were definitely on time. The kitchen sent over a few oysters on the house and we then ordered dinner by the guidance of our wonderful waiter. The dinner arrived hot and was perfect in every way. We finished our dinner with dessert which was out of this world. We would most definitely recommend stars to anyone that in search of atmosphere with great food and service to match.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- horrible servicegumbyDined on 7/19/2014Waited over an hour past our reservation time to be seated. Waited for our food for over 2 hours and during this time we only saw our waiter once, needless to say we never got drinks or anything during this 2 hour wait. The restaurant wasn't busy, it wasn't even during their peak time! We eventually had to get our food to go to make a meeting and neither the waiter or manager seemed to care. It was a horrible experience, horrible customer service and I will never go back or recommend to a friend.Special Features:
- Ran out of food?? Come on.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/19/2014Went to Stars with a large group (11) after hearing great things. Unfortunately the restaurant ran out of 3 of their entrees (encompassing perhaps 30%+ of their total selection), which seriously hampered our meal selection. These dishes weren't specials either, rather they were cornerstones of the meal (the filet and two other meat selections I believe). We only found out about this well after ordering our food, resulting in a long, long delay in ultimately getting fed (not to mention them forgetting one dish once the entrees finally made their way to our table). For the price point, this was an unacceptable. Our reservation was at 9pm on a Saturday as well. Skip the meal and get a cocktail on the roofdeck only.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choice for special occasionMel4Dined on 7/19/2014I dined here with a small group for my bachelor party, and we had a blast. Food was incredible, drinks were delicious, and the atmosphere was perfect. Perfect place for a special occasion, a romantic dinner, or an excuse to get dressed up for a classy good time. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.