Stars Restaurant - Rooftop & Grill Room
495 King Street
Charleston, SC 29403Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Stars Restaurant - Rooftop & Grill Room
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://starsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8435770100x
- Hours of Operation:
Bar Hours: 4pm-2am, 7 days a week
Sunday- Thursday: 5:00pm-10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm-11:00pm
Saturday Brunch: 10:30am-2:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:30am-2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Nathan Thurston
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Dancing, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Stars Restaurant - Rooftop & Grill Room
Stars Rooftop & Grill Room brings the art of live fire cooking to Charleston. Executive Chef Joe Dimaio exemplifies an artistic appreciation for live fire cooking by focusing on the details of each dish – the seasoning, balance, pairing and presentation. The restaurant has a full bar and grill room on the first floor and event space on the second floor. The rooftop bar has a 360-degree view of downtown Charleston and can accommodate up to 140 people. Dedicated to serving locally sourced food within 100 miles of Charleston, Stars’ food and beverage menus are fresh and seasonal. Stars brings a new tradition of open flame cuisine to Charleston and is not to be missed.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Stars Restaurant - Rooftop & Grill Room - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Stars Restaurant - Rooftop & Grill Room reviews from OpenTable diners
128 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
vibrant bar scene (69)special occasion (66)good for groups (58)fit for foodies (56)hot spot (50)notable wine list (35)romantic (34)neighborhood gem (27)scenic view (26)late-night find (24)great for brunch (21)great for outdoor dining (10)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- Great placeDowntowncharlestonVIPDined on 10/26/2014Great place. Nice atmosphere. Food always fantastic.Special Features:
- Always fabulous...charlestonnewbieDined on 10/24/2014Always enjoy drinks and dinner at Stars. Food and service was fabulous, per usual. Love that they have the autumn risotto back :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Favorite!!NewSCNativeDined on 10/18/2014A friend recommended Stars many times and we never took her up on it! What a mistake to not go earlier! The food was amazing- the Stars’ Wood-Grilled Crab Soup is notable. We were a party of 3 couples so we shared small plates of mussels, tuna and oysters. My only suggestion is to lighten up the additional ingredients on the oysters. Everyone loved everything and cleaned the plates! I had the Maine lobster over grits! Delicious. Our wait staff was wonderful and Brandon did a great job explaining the dishes and timing of food delivery was perfect! After dinner, we went to the rooftop bar and it was busy! They opened up another bar to help speed up the service. Beautifully lined rooftop with herbs and flowers growing.Special Features:
- Loud but goodsaritaVIPDined on 10/17/2014We always enjoy our meals here. I went this time for a birthday dinner and had a great experience. The only downside is that the noise level is pretty loud so it is hard to have a conversation without yelling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late Night Drinkingbottle2throttleDined on 10/11/2014Started off on the rooftop getting a drink. There is open smoking if you like that sort of thing. Bar on roof top does not serve food. There is a door guard at the bottom of the stairs limiting the number of people getting onto the roof. Roof it self has a limited view of the surrounding buildings due to high walls. Food downstairs was good but drinks took awhile to get to your table. Appetizers and main meal came out together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greview1Dined on 10/11/2014Should have known that a restaurant that advertises its bar as a center point likely is a bar that serves food! if they seat you next to or within eye shot of the rooftop elevator, ask to be reseated or leave-thought I was in a college bar for most of the night! Contradiction with this place is that the food was very good! Weak service as the waiter took our food order and did not return until I had one or two bites remaining and realized he forgot my dinner wine order- would not recommend unless you are looking for a lively, loud bar scene for dining.Special Features:
- Great food fun restaurantkimberlyVIPDined on 10/11/2014The food was amazing, my friend and I shared a few appetizers, soup and salad. Our server was great, very attentive.Special Features:
- Delicious FoodCharlestonEDinerDined on 10/11/2014This is our second time dining at Stars and we could not be more pleased. The food was delicious, expertly prepared and plated, and the portions were generous. We chose items that we had not tried before and were happy that we did. The trout was lightly seasoned, with a clean taste, the steak tender and flavorful. The Brussells Sprouts were grilled so that they were crispy outside, soft inside and the mushrooms, served over grits, were fresh and smokey. Our dessert was quite nice, a s'more pie. The pie was made with chocolate, graham crackers and crunchy toffee brittle, topped with at least five inches of browned meringue. Two of us shared the pie and still could not finish it, so, again, the portions are more than generous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My regular spotDiningCharlestonVIPDined on 10/8/2014Love the new menu! The deviled eggs and pork tacos are to die for. So, happy they brought back the squash risotto as well. And the new apple crostata is divine. My date and I had a ball. Staff was professional, personable, and courteous as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Home RunCrowVIPDined on 10/5/2014Took my wife there for a nice dinner, the wine taps were special and when they brought out our food we feasted on it. It was not only a home run but a 9th inning bases loaded Grand SlamSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- b day weekendOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/4/2014We had a great time with 12 other people we sat at the chef's table and the food was delicious , we will happily dine there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful servicePizza4dinnerDined on 10/4/2014Our server was very helpful in selecting a wine and provided samples for us to make a selection. He was very knowledgeable, capable, efficient, and cordial.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stars for StarsPreacherDined on 9/29/2014Food and service were great. Our waiter knew the restaurant well. The Wreckfish was as good as we have had in Charleston or anywhere. We will be back!Special Features:
- Sunday Brunchbrinks26Dined on 9/28/2014This was my 1st time dining at this restaurant, but it definitely won't be my last. The food was great and the atmosphere was absolutely superb, everyone thoroughly enjoyed the brunch. I would and already have recommend Stars to my friends. The price was very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Above averageOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Went to Stars for a romantic anniversary dinner and marriage proposal. The staff made the evening that much better with complimentary champaign after she said yes. Atmosphere was intimate and the waiters were on top of things. Customer service, the food, and ambiance were great. Didn't check out the rooftop bar but the restaurant quickly filled up with people going upstairs to the bar as the night went on. Would definitely return and would definitely recommend this spot to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful placeTherapistDined on 9/14/2014Loved the booths, the lighting, and the space. It was a welcome break from being crowded in and hearing what other diners were saying and doing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a cocktail, not brunchShannaeDined on 9/14/2014I've been to Stars on numerous occasions for evening drinks with friends but never brunch so we decided to check it out. What a scam! The food on their "hot" brunch buffet was bland, not hot, and some of if down right gross. The only thing that I felt was edible was the shrimp and grits. To top it off $25 bucks for brunch, not including booze is a little steep especially with that kind of food. I'll definitely be back for evening cocktails but never again for brunch. I'll just walk across the street to a fantastic brunchery, Rarebit.Special Features:
- moonbirdDined on 9/13/2014Loved the Kale Salad and Steak. Pluff Mud pudding was the best dessert. Waiter was great. Tap wine was fun and interesting. Roof Top was a little too crowded, but it is the "hot spot".Special Features:
- NoisyTessDined on 9/13/2014This restaurant is not for those wanting to hold a conversation. Extremely loud! Food was good but not special. Server was great and knowledgeableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3 stars for StarsScottVIPDined on 9/13/2014Six for restaurant week, online menu looked great. Two had trout, three had steak and one a burger. Starters were kale salad, crab hushpuppies and bacon tater tots. Kale salad was salty, did not appear to have all the listed ingredients and was gritty; perhaps from insufficient washing. Crab balls tasted like old bay seasoning not crab and the tater tots had little or no bacon. The trout was delicious as was the rice, with okra, sausage and tomato. The steak tasted good cooked perfectly but the truffle grits barely tasted like truffle. The desserts looked incredible, the pluff mud pudding was on the loose side but the topping on the smores was incredible. People waiting to access the bar were quite a distraction. Service a 10+Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great rooftop and restaurantTheDiningDivaVIPDined on 9/13/2014We arrived early and went to the rooftop bar. The rooftop is charming, lovely plantings and view of church steeples. I didn't order wine as Stars uses wine going through a tap rather than bottles. Our drinks were good, rooftop bar was clean, weather nice. We went downstairs for restaurant week menu. No food is served rooftop. Restaurant was noisy. Service was excellent. Restaurant was clean. I ordered steak with grits and mushrooms, very good. This dish is highlighted on their regular menu. The portion was small. I am a big eater. My husband ordered a burger, and said is was good as well. The appetizer choice was curried hush puppies with crab or kale salad. The kale salad was delicious, curried hush puppies, unremarkable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish!!BestBrunchEverDined on 9/13/2014Not sure how we found them, but we are so glad we did. We went there for their Saturday brunch and could not be happier! The fried chicken Benedict and pecan crusted french toast were amazing! Well worth the price. We will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud, but greatLindaDined on 9/12/2014Delicious dinner & excellent service. Don't expect to be able to converse at your table without shouting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy with Attention to DetailJimboelrodDined on 9/12/2014Great service, atmosphere and food...We felt like "special" guestsSpecial Features:
- Nice Rooftop BarsherrybethVIPDined on 9/12/2014We dined during restaurant week which included a 3 course meal. The food and service were good, prices moderate, atmosphere was a bit noisy for our taste. Appetizers were ham and melon on toast and the kale salad. Entrees were trout and steak. The food was tasty, cooked well and portions were moderate. For dessert, the pluff pudding was the best, a bit of chocolate mouse with salted toffee brickles. Skip the bland Whoppie Pie. We ate in the dining room but I did walk up to the rooftop bar. They do have an elevator. There was a private party at the front as that is where the best views were; however, the back side was really nice for more intimate conversation and cocktails. Well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent for Restaurant WeekGregVIPDined on 9/9/2014Several friends met on a Tuesday night for Charleston Restaurant Week. Although this can be hit-or-miss, Stars was an excellent choice. They offered very good selections for appetizers, entrees, and desserts. In fact, the portions were larger than necessary, and we were stuffed before dessert arrived. This is a testament to the adequate portions served during Restaurant Week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2014Loved the staff at Stars! Very attentive and the food was very good! Second time here and was not disappointed. Didnt make it upstairs to the Rooftop Bar but I suspect it was doing a great business, as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful EveningCindylouDined on 9/1/2014This was a new place for a local couple. A bit on the higher end of costs but very well worth a great date night. We went to the rooftop bar after dinner and enjoyed a wonderful atmosphere and great service. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- good food, exp drinks and slow svcsteelerfan1Dined on 8/31/2014830 reservation....4 patron Marguerita s were 55 plus tip....wtf? Can get two bottles of patron for that. Trout oysters risotto all delish...creme brulee yum... appetizers were on time but waited an additional 45min for food...waiter dodged us and sent other people to our table for everything and was awkward in general conversation. Really loud. Had to yell across the table to speak to people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Sunday BrunchCountryLocalDined on 8/31/2014The food was over the top! Service was excellent, seating was comfortable and yes, we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BonBonsezDined on 8/31/2014The brunch on Sunday was very good. Service was great and loved the atmosphere of this restaurant. I am a big fan of booth seating, so this was a great spot for me. A little on the noisy side, but the restaurant was very busy. Will go earlier next time. Parking was a nightmare so will need to plan ahead next time!Special Features:
- great foodDavidVIPDined on 8/30/2014Our first time. I think some sound boards would help. Quite loud. Lots of young adults. Service and food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So disappointedcharlottebugDined on 8/28/2014I had high expectations since it such a beautiful place. But the food didn't live up to the atmosphere. It was cold and without flavor. Trout was over cooked. Okra looked good, but tasted like styrofoam. Really disappointed.
- Awesome experience!GinGreenDined on 8/23/2014Our party of six sincerely enjoyed dinner on busy Saturday night in the heart of downtown Charleston.Special Features:
- Wonderful mealjerricaVIPDined on 8/23/2014We really enjoyed our first visit to this restaurant. Food was excellent, especially the duck bun appetizers. Service was also excellent, our waiter checked on us and was knowledgeable about the menu. The Saturday night that we went, we also noticed multiple bachelorette parties going on so it seems like a hip place. I highly recommend the Pluff Mud Pudding dessert!Special Features:
- Another incredible dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Another great dinner experience at Stars! This resturant is our new "go to". We bring all our guest there for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So soJeffDined on 8/19/2014The service was great. The food was mediocre at best. We got the mussels for a appetizer which were good but I got the lobster grits and wasn't impressed at all the lobster was grossly overcooked the best part of the dish was the cauliflower. I talked to people at work the next day and they experienced the same thing. Great service with mediocre food.
- Great foodDewdealerDined on 8/16/2014This was second time at Stars. We have enjoyed both times and food was excellent. We can't afford it regularly as it is rather pricy, but for special occasions we enjoy it.Special Features:
- great brunch with nice atmosphereGlogirlDined on 8/16/2014Our family and friends met at Stars Restaurant for brunch. Some of us had not been together for 20 years! Everyone enjoyed the large selection at the brunch and even the children were happy with the choices they were able to make. As we arrived, everyone greeted us, we had great service, and as we left, they let us know how much they appreciated our patronage. We WILL return!Special Features:
- AlcarrDined on 8/15/2014GREAT rooftop bar with delicious cocktails. Restaurant served outstanding food and had a great wine selection, but the service could have been better for this level of dining. Also, our party of 7 was seated at a booth for 6 with a chair at the end. The booth was only open on one end so it was difficult and inconvenient to get in and out of the booth. The people sitting on the far end of the booth couldn't even hear the waitress. Overall, great dining experience but would have expected a more attentive waitress for the price. It was difficult to get the waitress's attention and she had to be reminded of requests several times. I shouldn't have to request a refill on water and then eat my meal without water at a restaurant of this caliber.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.