30832 South Coast Highway
Laguna Beach, CA 92651Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.starfishlaguna.com/
- Phone: 9497159200
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday through Saturday 11:00-2:30; Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Asian
- Executive Chef: Jarvis Yuan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Starfish Restaurant
STARFISH Laguna Beach…. A tantalizing exploration into the cuisines from across the coastlines of Asia. Traditional ingredients from Thailand, Vietnam, China, Korea and India are translated for a modern palate. With the family style service approach in mind, our dishes are destined to be shared amongst friends. Elevated street style comes to life in this sleek space. Luminous tufted turquoise banquets, deep oranges, metallic brick, dark sexy corer booths and plush accents commingle to create a tastefully provocative interior. The black marble horse shoe shaped bare takes center stage welcoming you to experience exotic hand crafted libations, an innovative wine list, sakes and craft beers. In the only space of its kind in Orange County, expect the unexpected.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Starfish Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
- We have heard many good commentsnbs1110815VIPDined on 1/20/2013We have heard many good comments about Starfish and are glad we finally went. We enjoyed the restaurant very much. Great atmosphere. Almost club like. Food was excellent and the Tiger Blood martini was very good. We are looking forward to going again since there are many more dishes we want to try.Special Features:
- Thanks Starfish for a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/19/2013Thanks Starfish for a great dinner on Saturday night. Our entire meal was a perfect symphony of flavors.Special Features:
- Terrible, 3 dishes not edibleOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 1/14/2013Took my wife to celebrate her 30th Birthday. Upon arrival recieved a table in the bar, even though there was plenty of dining tables. Our server had no interest in greeting our table, let alone acknowledging the special occasion. We decided to order our drink directly from the bartender due to lack of service, and he ended up being the only positive- a great Mai tai with a smile! Our sever was short and not attentive, what we fondly call a drive by serving. The sashimi was terrible, and the normal fried rice was so spicy we couldnt eat it, when we let him know, he made no apology, and when we said the other dish was delicious, he responded "at least you like one thing!" Also there dessert was a 3 week old pastry, my wife literally spit out.
- We thoroughly enjoyed theOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/12/2013We thoroughly enjoyed the Opium Hour. And the other patrons were so friendly, we even exchanged apps.Special Features:
- Excellent For Group DiningMarchkisDined on 1/9/2013We were a group of five. We shared anumber of small platews andf several entrees. We especially enjoyed the calamari, the cucumber salad, the pad thai, and the sea bass with black bean sauce. Each dish is distinctive and delicious. The service is excellent and they time the arrival of each new dish perfectly.Special Features:
- My new favorite restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 1/5/2013Everything we tasted was outstanding! Korean Tacos, Chinese Sea Bass, and the Garlic Noodles with added Shrimp is a MUST! We sat at the bar and the bartenders are awesome!!Special Features:
- The Ahi Tuna and CalamariDeniseBrownTooVIPDined on 12/28/2012The Ahi Tuna and Calamari were fabulous. For entree the Banana Leaf Sea bass was excellentSpecial Features:
- A good idea to order severalOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/23/2012A good idea to order several items and share to see the range of the fare!Special Features:
- We enjoyed our dinner, andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/11/2012We enjoyed our dinner, and having time to visit with our friends over several of the small plates. Delicious food, and very good service.Special Features:
- We had a wonderful experienceTrufoodieDined on 12/8/2012We had a wonderful experience and the food was very tasty! The service was great and the staff very efficient. We will be back!!Special Features:
- Had been before and felt itOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/5/2012Had been before and felt it had declined. Very noisy and they didn't respond in a timely way to my requests to turn music down even though we were the only ones dining. Food not up to par. But because it was so good before, might go back.
- A Great place for Asian fusioncdmfoodieVIPDined on 12/1/2012We love coming here. the food never disappoints. Love the way they have new Asian cuisine foods rotating through out the year. Neal is the BEST bartender in town....he makes wonderful drinks and .always a true professional with a genuine smile. He always makes you feel welcome... We will definitely will be back!
- Great ambiance and interiorBec819VIPDined on 12/1/2012Great ambiance and interior design, although sound level and music type are a bit overbearing. Food ranged from good to very good based on selection. Found it a bit odd that Starfish was not one of the offerings on the menu. I was so looking forward to trying it.
- I went with my friend andDiscerningDinerVIPDined on 11/18/2012I went with my friend and 15 year old daughter who described "Starfish" as "flawless" we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and the food was delicious. We will be back.Special Features:
- Different, fun, a keeper.FastjakeDined on 11/17/2012Surprisingly different, yet familiar menu. Fascinating treatments of standards that make your tongue think twice. Crazy-good ribs! I'll be back for more!Special Features:
- Great food, service and ambiance,MVLisaDined on 11/16/2012Great food, service and ambiance, we had a lot of fun. We will go back for their happy hour!Special Features:
- A great find in Laguna BeachVIP1000dinesVIPDined on 10/27/2012We really enjoyed our dinner of small plates, spring rolls, Korean tacos, chicken curry with coconut rice and the amazing green beans. Pretty good wine list, beautiful dining room and super friendly staff. Enjoy the sunset at Montage and enjoy dinner here at Starfish... like we did.Special Features:
- we ate at the bar and letOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/24/2012we ate at the bar and let the bartender order for us . Excelent fresh foodSpecial Features:
- Service was not too good thisOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/18/2012Service was not too good this evening - Very slow and the waiter delivered items here and there. Try the ribs and green beans - unbelievable!
- Killer food! Kung Pao shrimpChefstewVIPDined on 10/14/2012Killer food! Kung Pao shrimp was spectacular. All app's are reasonably priced at happy hour, as are the drink specials. Given the location the over all tab was less than could be expected, especially from a Nancy Wilhelm establishment. Service was okay, we dined early and were left to feel as if we were "on our own" if we needed anything. Charging for filtered water, without notification is a poor move when you notice it on the final bill.Special Features:
- Charming place, not too noisy,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/13/2012Charming place, not too noisy, tasty food with great selection, and service was fantastic.Special Features:
- Wish upon a Starfish!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/7/2012An unexpected, wonderful gem of a restaurant. We went on a Sunday - to celebrate my birthday - and found the variety of small plates a wonderful way to experience their cuisine for the first time. I have a networking group and will definitely recommend Starfish for a happy hour get-together. Well done - bravo!Special Features:
- My friend arrived at 5:30OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/5/2012My friend arrived at 5:30 in time for a later Happy Hour, the restaurant was quiet with only a few patrons. Nice ambience. We sat at one of the bar tables, chair quite unstable. We ordered small plates and one of their signature cocktails (excellent). Table a little small for all of our orders. Server very polite, however at the end of Happy Hour our dishes were whisked away and I got the feeling that we were being hurried out even though the restaurant was not busy. Unfortunately that made the experience very sour.Special Features:
- Food Marginal - Excellent ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/4/2012Dined late on a Thursday night. Our table was ready per our reservation time. Service was excellent! Our waiter overheard that it was my girlfriend's birthday (I never told them) and they brought a complimentary small dessert with a candle when we were finished dining - very thoughtful. Food however, was only marginal. Lacking flavor and that "wow" factor. Portions were larger than expected. I would recommend the "Imperial Garden" cocktail they make with Hendricks Gin - it was delicious. Very noisy inside as well, even though the restaurant was less than half full. To summarize - Food was OK, Service was Excellent. With so many great restaurant choices in Laguna, I would visit many others before returning to Starfish.
- Starfish was excellent asOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 10/2/2012Starfish was excellent as usual. The ability to order well thought out & very tasty "small plates" makes for a very pleasant dining experience.Special Features:
- Starfish has always been amarcosDined on 9/29/2012Starfish has always been a favorite of mine. I've never had a bad meal. The menu is very creative and everything is very fresh and always delicious. It's a one of a kind.Special Features:
- I am just sorry that I waitedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2012I am just sorry that I waited so long to go here We had several appetizers and split a couple meals. Very fresh, well worth it and being a local, I will make this one of my favs and will not hesitate to recommendSpecial Features:
- My husband and I visited StarfishOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/23/2012My husband and I visited Starfish while honeymooning in Laguna Niguel. Haviing dined on Asian food all over the country and both having worked at an Asian concept with very authentic food, we are not easy to impress. Granted, we may know how order, and we certainly know what we like, but I can't imagine we could have gone wrong with anything on this menu. The food was OUTSTANDING, it was served hot and timely, and the service was pleasant and not overbearing. Of everywhere we ate on this trip, and we eat a lot, this would be our #1 recommendation and our first stop on our next trip to Laguna.Special Features:
- The food was imaginative,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/22/2012The food was imaginative, delicious, beautifully presented and I can't wait to go back. I had an exotic cocktail to begin my meal that was over the top. The wait staff was attentive and sensitive to timing. The hostess accommodated me because of a back problem with a more comfortable chair and even a back pillow (which i did not request) That's above and beyond! There are so many small plate choices, which are my favorite, that I can't wait to work my way through the menu and bring more friends to this beautiful place. A huge added bonus is you can park....free....and close because it's in a shopping center. Just wish it was open for lunch. Need to try their happy hour which sounds like a real deal.Special Features:
- We found nothing memorableOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/21/2012We found nothing memorable about this restaurant and do not plan to go back. The food was not delivered in any logical sequence and, while some items were tasty, there were enough mediocre items to offset the few good dishes. There were six of us and the noise level was so high that it was almost impossible to hear unless you were sitting next to someone. It was a hot night and the air conditioning system could not keep the temperature down. Why would anyone want to go back to this place?
- It was just okay. Not asOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/16/2012It was just okay. Not as good as we heard it was. The food was a little greasy and nothing someone could not do at home. Prices are high for what you get. Waiters are friendly and try very hard to please so for that I gave the overall a 3.
- just ok...sat right by theTexasTreasuresDined on 9/15/2012just ok...sat right by the door, kinda awkward. service wasn't bad, just inexperienced. food wasn't bad, just not as good as I had remembered from a previous trip. Just ok.
- My Favorite Restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/13/2012Love this restaurant! it is located within a strip mall across from the Montage yet once inside the restaurant the atmosphere feels as if you are in one of the hippest spots in New York City. The decor is sophisticated, comfortable, romantic yet vibrant. They have done a great job with the acoustics as well. Thus far I have had the pork wraps, ahi poke, chicken lettuce wraps, korean tacos, filet mignon skewers and they all are my favorites! The filet skewers literally melt in your mouth and the flavors are addictive as they are unlike anywhere else locally. The service is solid. The staff is very helpful and friendly and the bartenders are fantastic mixologists! Must try the Margarita infused with Kumquats...refreshing and oh so yummy!Special Features:
- Everything was very good.TOOBAD2Dined on 9/9/2012Everything was very good. Unfortunately and not the restaurants fault there was a man and three children sitting in a booth near us. Two of the children were very disruptive lying all over the booth obviously they should have been in bed long ago.Special Features:
- Food is good to excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/8/2012Food is good to excellent. Wine is overpriced. Service is very good.
- The food at Starfish is consistentlOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/2/2012The food at Starfish is consistently good, with unique signature dishes. Although they were out of the dish that we came for this evening, we were able to try something new, the 48 hour marinated chicken wings, and garlic noodles which were savoury and delicious.Special Features:
- The food is extremely innovativeOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/31/2012The food is extremely innovative & excellent. The menu is very well thought through. Cocktails & wine choices are excellent. The 'small plates' approach works very well while service is both friendly & professional. We look forward to eating there every time we go & both take friends there & recommend it to them. We are pleased to have the restaurant in our neighborhood as it is a terrific addition to the dining scene.Special Features:
- Food was sensational, ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/28/2012Food was sensational, ambiance great, music perfect for the setting.Special Features:
- Very relxed atmosphere. OurOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/26/2012Very relxed atmosphere. Our server was very helpful and knowledgable.The Thai curry chicken was amazing! We have been to this restaurant several times and it has always been wonderful.Special Features:
- Stellar Cuisine and EnvironmentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2012The environment is contemporary Asian and the cuisine tasty with a blend of delectable flavors. Starfish has the ambiance of a New York, San Francisco or stellar in L.A. bistro. Fresh, made to order small plates served as prepared. Plenty of free parking.Special Features: