Staple & Fancy Mercantile
4739 Ballard Ave NW
Seattle, WA 98107Neighborhood:
Ballard / Fremont
NorthwestPrice: $31 to $50
Staple & Fancy Mercantile
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.stapleandfancymercantile.com/
- Phone: 2067891200x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday-Sunday 5:00pm-11:00pm
Bar: Monday-Sunday 5:00-???
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Ethan Stowell
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Restaurant buyout and off-site catering available. Please call 206-588-0030 for more details.
- Private Party Facilities: Staple & Fancy is available for private parties. In addition there is a very private Cellar room with seating for up to 18 guests below the restaurant - perfect for celebrations, business dinners or other events.
- Private Party Contact: Jen Osborn 2065880030x
A word from Staple & Fancy Mercantile
Located in Seattle’s thriving Ballard neighborhood, Staple & Fancy Mercantile is the latest venture of celebrated chef Ethan Stowell. Housed in a beautifully renovated early 1900’s building, this intimate restaurant showcases Ethan’s simple Italian inspired cooking style. The popular “Chefs Choice” menu offers guests a one-of-a-kind dining experience with dishes created from uniquely sourced products, local seasonal ingredients, and house-made pastas. An a la carte menu is also available. The small bar is perfect for snacking and offers a tasteful selection of aperitifs and cocktails. The wine list is Euro-centric with a thoughtful selection of Northwest wines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNorthwest
Staple & Fancy Mercantile - Best Restaurants in Ballard / Fremont ›
Staple & Fancy Mercantile reviews from OpenTable diners
119 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (99)neighborhood gem (69)special occasion (67)hot spot (39)romantic (36)notable wine list (31)good for groups (25)late-night find (11)great for outdoor dining (7)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- SRWmjceDined on 10/19/2014Seattle restaurant week is a great way to try many restaurants without breaking the bank and Staple and Fancy is probably one of the best places to try. Their offering is the best quality to quantity ratio out of all of the places I've tried out of the three years I've participated in SRW. Their fried oysters are definitely worth going back for. I will be back, soon.Special Features:
- Nailed it!mrspezDined on 10/15/2014This was our second time at S&F. We did the chef tasting menu. There is no better food experience at this value anywhere. We got there at 7pm and shut the place down. We felt like the entire restaurant was taking care of us and were made to feel completely at home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous variety and qualityFoodMamaDined on 10/10/2014The 5 of us had the tasting menu. What an amazing variety of really good dishes. And they kept coming! Soooo many appetizers, then pasta, then ribeye and smoked black cod. This is not just a couple of bites of food with each course. The fried oysters, steak tartar, bolognese with ricotta salata, fresh clam pasta, fig compote, and panna cotta were standouts. A great way to do a meal for a group of omnivorous diners. Really fun and very satisfying. The service was great. The only areas of improvement would be more room at the table -- we were a bit crammed in -- and bigger plates for dishing up the courses. It's served family style and there is not much room on those tiny little plates for all the dishes at the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good as usualjeffjDined on 10/5/2014Every time we go, we get the chef's menu for $50. It might be one of the best values in town. Food is amazing and service is friendly.Special Features:
- A speciaL event - perfection!BonnieDined on 10/5/2014The event was perfect. The food was superior. The tasting menu allowed a wide selection for everyone's taste buds. It was wonderful! The service was responsive. I can only say good things about every aspect of the evening. Out for a delightful meal, give this a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great value in the price-fixed mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014Our party of five had the $50-per-plate dinner. Delightful dishes, and lots of food, AND we got to sample just about everything on the dinner menu, plus some, which we would not have happened if we'd ordered individually.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/29/2014Great dinner - went with a group. Lots of variety and diversity on the menu. Great service, cool atmosphere. Overall a great night. One caveat -this was a pretty far cab ride from my hotel near Capitol Hill.Special Features:
- Amazing, as alwaysaeflatleyDined on 9/27/2014My favorite restaurant in Seattle. I always try to make it during my birthday month - as a special treat for myself. Don't even bother looking at the menu - go with the Chef's choice. Best part is - they make sure to customize the dining experience to your table. Nobody will go hungry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get the Tasting Menu!NikkiDined on 9/22/2014We have wanted to try Staple & Fancy for sometime because it is owned by a company that has a lot of other great spots. We went for our 3 year anniversary and had the tasting menu. It's all chefs choice and varies every day. Have a glass of great wine and let the chef choose, you wont regret it.Special Features:
- Do it FancyEDogDined on 9/21/2014The "Fancy" menu is the most under-priced meal in town. Four courses for $50... and the FIRST course was six different small plates. Every dish was tasty and the service was excellent. I highly recommend it!Special Features:
- Feel-Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/12/2014I love this place. The food is right at the perfect level of "not too snooty" but fancy enough to make you smile and of course it all tastes great. Get the tasting menu, make a night of it and enjoy.Special Features:
- amazing!!!!foodieatheartDined on 9/12/2014had a great time here, brought husband for his birthday and we did the chefs menu & everything was soooo good, we couldn't stop talking about the food. We have been here several times but never have done the chefs menu, would definitely recommend this.Special Features:
- Great Service!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/9/2014We had chosen this restaurant for a special occasion dinner and weren't dissapointed. Along with excellent food, the service was outstanding. Without being overbearing, we got plenty of attention, all of our questions were answered, and we even left with 2 bags of complimentary fresh pasta ! Even though Ballard is as long drive for us, I'd definitely go back. And our fish were placed just right on the table, so that they could "kiss" before we ate them!Special Features:
- Very nicediggerDined on 9/8/2014This is a great place for sharing food with friends with the tasting menu item. Great atmosphere, friendly and attentive servers and great food. During the entree portion the meat was a little small to split with 3 people, but was very tasty.Special Features:
- LOVED THE FANCY MENU! A MUST!jaspolintanDined on 9/7/2014I have been wanting to eat here for awhile. It was my husband's birthday and we always try somewhere new for special occasions. I had to convince him to get the fancy menu and boy were we thrilled we made the decision. We had so much food and a great variety. It was the perfect amount of food and we definitely did not leave hungry. I would recommend this place for foodies and newbies alike!Special Features:
- Yum-eee!HolsDined on 9/6/2014I chose S & F for my B-day and I am so glad I did! I had the Fancy menu. Every single course was unique and delectable. Can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealLifjejazzDined on 9/5/2014We ordered the tasting menu which included a number of appetizers -- fried oysters with a spicy aioli, tartare, and several others, including a nicely dressed romaine salad. The main was king salmon, perfectly seared medium rare. And for dessert, a raspberry cheesecake. All the while we could watch the chefs work in the open kitchen. No drama here. Just good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentNomNom67Dined on 9/5/2014The food and service is OUTSTANDING. The chefs picks was really enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date Night!MikeGDined on 9/5/2014Food was incredible! Don't bother even looking at the menu....just hand it back to the waiter/waitress and ask for the tasting menu. Will be totally worth it! Good variety of items in the tasting menu and the flavor and quality was exceptional! Staff is always friendly and provides top notch service!Special Features:
- JohnVIPDined on 9/3/2014Outstanding meal. We had the fish the day grilled to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but noisyBD00Dined on 8/30/2014Our party of 3 had a delicious meal, choosing the tasting menu with wine pairings. The decor l- kind of old warehouse - is charming. The downside was that the room is so noisy that carrying on a conversation with table mates was a challenge.Special Features:
- potential unfulfilledlwocynVIPDined on 8/29/2014Our initial impressions were solid; the decor/ambience is interesting in an authentic/rustic sense, the noise level is about right, service was solid - never too pushy or too distant. Unfortunately the food was a huge let down. The hamachi crudo was solid but unspectacular; the pappardelle with pork belly was uninspiring - the pork was tough and fatty. For our entrees, we had the whole fish (bronzino) which was excellent and the NY strip which was a spectacular failure. When you order a NY Strip, you expect just that - a strip steak. This came out as a cold, filet mignon shaped round of beef with thick layers of fat more akin to a prime rib than a NY Strip. It was completely lacking in flavor and was easily the worst NY Strip I have had .
- Just Hand Back the Menuseattle2VIPDined on 8/29/2014We had our first meal here and took their invitation to "hand back the menu" and get the unspecified tasting menu. It was a fabulous choice! We had a wide array of appetizers (great breaded oysters, among others), a great salad course, a good steak as an entrée (with a fantastic smoked onion puree), and a double chocolate pairing for dessert (cake and ice cream). The service was very friendly and efficient, despite it being a busy Friday night. The wine list is reasonably extensive for a relatively small restaurant and prices were quite good by Seattle standards. We liked being able to watch the open kitchen. The high ceiling keeps the noise to a reasonable level despite a full crowd. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- Disappointingdinefine2Dined on 8/24/2014We came here for a special dinner with our daughter and her fiance and selected the "fancy" option, where the chef selects your dishes. The server was not helpful in shedding light on what we would be served...just said "Not things on the menu." We were served five appetizers, two pasta dishes, two entrees and two desserts to share. Nothing was tasty or remarkable in any way. The two entrees, salmon and steak, were bland and the steak was a bit tough. The two pasta dishes were prepared well, but were not very flavorful. The appetizers, save one, were also average fare. Desserts were fine. We had been to this restaurant before and had a better experience so MAYBE it was a bad night (chef gone?). We left feeling cheated.
- Could have been better EthanUsedtoBGoodDined on 8/17/2014Kitchen servers couldn't follow directions. Disappointed and won't be returning for quite a while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014We were a party of four and called to add another person. The restaurant would not accommodate us. Meanwhile the table next to us sat empty for the entire two hours we were there.Special Features:
- Tasting Menu = IncrediblebryntaylorDined on 8/15/2014We got the tasting menu and it was absolutely incredible.Special Features:
- Awesome!Gen336Dined on 8/10/2014We were 3 friends from Montreal visitig Seattle and this restaurant was amazing! A real foodie place. We shared appetizers, pastas and the whole fish (dorade) and everything was delicious. Great wine list too, a lot of great choices at a good price. The ambiance was warm, fun, trendy but not too noisy. And the service was excellent with Mike! Strongly recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The MOBOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/10/2014Staple and Fancy always delivers. The whole experience is great.Special Features:
- Food didn't live up to reviewstravelingfoodie73Dined on 8/7/2014Our vacations revolve around eating so we looked forward to our evening at Staple & Fancy. The service was impressive, but the food was not as memorable. It wasn't bad...just boring.Special Features:
- Good, almost greatPaulDined on 8/2/2014This was our second "Do it Fancy" dinner since March. While most offerings were tasty we felt the creativity slipped a little and some of the dishes were just so so. Most of the seven appetizers were good with the exception of the grilled octopus which seemed a little burned and tasteless. The veal chop was cooked perfectly and the desserts were excellent. We may wait a while before trying again.Special Features:
- In a Class By ItselfSnorkelalotDined on 8/2/2014Staple & Fancy is a restaurant in a class all by itself. What a fantastic find! I enjoyed the Chef's Choice menu - a variety of small plate starters - each one delicious and different. Following the many starters was a pasta dish with King Crab that was about the best I have ever had. A perfectly cooked steak was the entree. Dessert and coffee topped it off. My waiter helped me choose 1/2 glasses of wine that went with the parade of courses. He also gave me some good advice on where to taste wine in Woodinville (where I was going the next day). When I visit Seattle again, this will be one of the places I return to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Staple & FancyCindyVIPDined on 7/30/2014This is one of my go-to spots for a special evening. Historic Ballard is charming at this end of town; there is a new bar next door, so that there is a lively scene with outdoor seating. Food is excellent; ambiance is comfortable but edgy and minimalist without being cold or modern. All around terrific place to celebrate an occasion, impress out-of-towners, or go late-night for a bite. Love this place!Special Features:
- Spectacular experienceculinatorVIPDined on 7/26/2014With some trepidation, we ordered the 4-course chef's menu as suggested on the menu without knowing what we would be served. Smartest decision we made the entire 8 day trip. The first "course" actually consisted of about 6 small plates, each of which was excellent. The fried oysters (with chili aioli) were the best any of our party of 5 had ever eaten. The pasta, fish, meat and 3 desserts were also outstanding. We had many fine meals on this trip, but this was the best, which is saying quite a bit.Special Features:
- Magical.Settingiano1Dined on 7/25/2014Nothing about out experience could possibly have been any better . The evening began and ended with the best possible server, Nicole. She made the "fancy" understated yet exuberant, serendipitous, anticipated our every thought. The food, fast, furious and incredible . Wine pairings also great. Best Dining Experience-quite possibly ever. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jw40Dined on 7/20/2014we had a wonderful time. We chose the chef's choice menu. Everything was great!Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerRavishDined on 7/19/2014My wife and I spent our Anniversary dinner here, and couldn't have been happier. We did the tasting menu which came with 8 small plates (oysters, sea bass, fresh mozzarella, salad, soup, bread, prosciutto, , a gnocchi dish, a steak, and a delicious chocolate cake, ice cream combo! Every plate blew us away and we the whole experience was A+. The only disappointment was that its taken us this long to go here, will be returning soon!Special Features:
- WOW! No complaints, just accolades.FreakwentDinerVIPDined on 7/16/2014I picked Staple & Fancy on a whim for a dinner with several colleagues whom I was traveling with. We were not disappointed. We took a leap of faith and chose the Chef's Selection. The Chef's Selection is a four course meal of whatever the chef wants to prepare and served family style. The first course consisted of 6 small appetizers ranging from smoke salmon on a crostini to a green pea soup to fried oysters. The second course was an amazing homemade ravioli in a brown butter sauce. The entrée was a piece of perfectly cooked steak and a large fish filet. Dessert consisted of 4 small choices which included a lemon cake with olive oil...simply amazing. Did I mention, they matched wine with each course...5 different wines.Special Features:
- Good not greatFortysomethingguyDined on 7/9/2014Having just been to Red Cow I had high expectations for Staple & Fancy. While it was overall good I had expected to be really impressed and when you pay a premium for dinner that would seem justified. Might be time to revisit the menu and cut down on the salt. Ambiance and service were very good.Special Features:
- Won't be backpdxoriginalVIPDined on 7/5/2014My husband and I have eaten her on multple occasions. We decided to go back to celebrate our anniversary. I have to say we were disappointed in the overpriced salad, the entrees were so-so and due to the price point $$$ we won't return. There are just too many other options in Ballard.