Staple & Fancy Mercantile
4739 Ballard Ave NW
Seattle, WA 98107Neighborhood:
Ballard / Fremont
NorthwestPrice: $31 to $50
Staple & Fancy Mercantile
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.stapleandfancymercantile.com/
- Phone: (206) 789-1200
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday-Sunday 5:00pm-11:00pm
Bar: Monday-Sunday 5:00-???
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Ethan Stowell
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Restaurant buyout and off-site catering available. Please call 206-588-0030 for more details.
- Private Party Facilities: Staple & Fancy is available for private parties. In addition there is a very private Cellar room with seating for up to 18 guests below the restaurant - perfect for celebrations, business dinners or other events.
- Private Party Contact: Jen Osborn 2065880030x
A word from Staple & Fancy Mercantile
Located in Seattle’s thriving Ballard neighborhood, Staple & Fancy Mercantile is the latest venture of celebrated chef Ethan Stowell. Housed in a beautifully renovated early 1900’s building, this intimate restaurant showcases Ethan’s simple Italian inspired cooking style. The popular “Chefs Choice” menu offers guests a one-of-a-kind dining experience with dishes created from uniquely sourced products, local seasonal ingredients, and house-made pastas. An a la carte menu is also available. The small bar is perfect for snacking and offers a tasteful selection of aperitifs and cocktails. The wine list is Euro-centric with a thoughtful selection of Northwest wines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNorthwest
Staple & Fancy Mercantile - Best Restaurants in Ballard / Fremont ›
Staple & Fancy Mercantile reviews from OpenTable diners
123 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (108)neighborhood gem (72)special occasion (60)romantic (42)hot spot (38)notable wine list (32)good for groups (26)late-night find (12)vibrant bar scene (8)great for outdoor dining (5)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Worth the Trek!LayniacVIPDined on 11/3/2014On a cold and awful evening we ventured westward to Ballard from Mercer Island to dine at Staple & Fancy Mercantile. The food was fantastic, the ambiance great and service was delightful. Our waitress was fabulously attentive while providing the great space you would want while having a special dinner. From the succulent tuna carpaccio appetizer to the beef ribs and beets, it was all delicious.Special Features:
- Tasting Menu is worth tryingSeattleGirlVIPDined on 11/2/2014My family had the tasting menu and it was great. Electric array of foods and flavors. From the appetizers to the desserts, everything was wonderful. Portions are on the small side, but enough to feel satisfied. I would definitely go again.Special Features:
- Outstanding food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/30/2014The food was fabulous especially the oysters! Our waiter was very knowledgeable and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, okay serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/24/2014We did the tasting menu. We loved most of the dishes. The entrees were just okay. Sauce on cod was a little odd. The other main was a steak. Hard to please a table of folks who would prefer their steak cooked differently. Way too red for two of us. My husband who like his steak basically are was happy about doneness-we all wished it had a bit more flavor. But, the starters, gnocchi and dessert were stellar so we can forgive the meh entrees. Our waitress was not super friendly. Cordial but forced. Not engaging sheen we tried to talk with her and she seemed to lack patience and a desire to smile, connect or deal with the public.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/24/2014Service was inattentive. Food was very good but missed excellent with hot entres coming to the table barely warm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JackieDined on 10/22/2014From the first course to the last, the food was cooked perfectly and tasted amazing plus the service was outstanding. The Restaurant Week menu was fantastic - first course included Porchetta de Testa, Parsnip Soup, Fried Oysters, Beef Tartar and Gem Lettuce served family style. We selected the Rigatoni with braised rabbit and the grilled coulotte steak for our main course and we were not disappointed - both were delicious. As if that wasn't enough, we were then presented chocolate terrine and seasonal sorbetto for dessert which ended our meal perfectly. This was our first time at this restaurant and it will not be our last!Special Features:
- Awesome tasting menuLove2eatVIPDined on 10/21/2014Let them take care of you, you won't be disappointed. Our server was the perfect balance of attentive and engaging.Special Features:
- Underwhelming flavorOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/21/2014I have been wanting to try this place forever. Finally got a reservation and visited during restaurant week. I was disappointed in the flavor of the food. Everything was very dull and under-seasoned. The best dish we had was the salad with grapefruit, oranges, radishes, shallots and champagne vinaigrette. It had the most flavor. The entrees we had: steak, rabbit ragu and mackerel were all very average. The fish lacked major salt and pepper and so did the steak. And, each of those dishes came with like 3 vegetables on the side. The pasta dish was the best, but still lacked basic seasoning. Everything was prepared well - al dente pasta, medium rare steak and flakey fish - it just lacked flavor. For $30-40 a person, you expect a bit more.Special Features:
- SRWmjceDined on 10/19/2014Seattle restaurant week is a great way to try many restaurants without breaking the bank and Staple and Fancy is probably one of the best places to try. Their offering is the best quality to quantity ratio out of all of the places I've tried out of the three years I've participated in SRW. Their fried oysters are definitely worth going back for. I will be back, soon.Special Features:
- Nailed it!mrspezDined on 10/15/2014This was our second time at S&F. We did the chef tasting menu. There is no better food experience at this value anywhere. We got there at 7pm and shut the place down. We felt like the entire restaurant was taking care of us and were made to feel completely at home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous variety and qualityFoodMamaDined on 10/10/2014The 5 of us had the tasting menu. What an amazing variety of really good dishes. And they kept coming! Soooo many appetizers, then pasta, then ribeye and smoked black cod. This is not just a couple of bites of food with each course. The fried oysters, steak tartar, bolognese with ricotta salata, fresh clam pasta, fig compote, and panna cotta were standouts. A great way to do a meal for a group of omnivorous diners. Really fun and very satisfying. The service was great. The only areas of improvement would be more room at the table -- we were a bit crammed in -- and bigger plates for dishing up the courses. It's served family style and there is not much room on those tiny little plates for all the dishes at the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good as usualjeffjDined on 10/5/2014Every time we go, we get the chef's menu for $50. It might be one of the best values in town. Food is amazing and service is friendly.Special Features:
- A speciaL event - perfection!BonnieDined on 10/5/2014The event was perfect. The food was superior. The tasting menu allowed a wide selection for everyone's taste buds. It was wonderful! The service was responsive. I can only say good things about every aspect of the evening. Out for a delightful meal, give this a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great value in the price-fixed mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014Our party of five had the $50-per-plate dinner. Delightful dishes, and lots of food, AND we got to sample just about everything on the dinner menu, plus some, which we would not have happened if we'd ordered individually.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumilovenomsDined on 9/29/2014Great dinner - went with a group. Lots of variety and diversity on the menu. Great service, cool atmosphere. Overall a great night. One caveat -this was a pretty far cab ride from my hotel near Capitol Hill.Special Features:
- Amazing, as alwaysaeflatleyDined on 9/27/2014My favorite restaurant in Seattle. I always try to make it during my birthday month - as a special treat for myself. Don't even bother looking at the menu - go with the Chef's choice. Best part is - they make sure to customize the dining experience to your table. Nobody will go hungry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/23/2014It is a very noisy space for people with hearing aids You need to love fatty food.Special Features:
- Get the Tasting Menu!NikkiDined on 9/22/2014We have wanted to try Staple & Fancy for sometime because it is owned by a company that has a lot of other great spots. We went for our 3 year anniversary and had the tasting menu. It's all chefs choice and varies every day. Have a glass of great wine and let the chef choose, you wont regret it.Special Features:
- Do it FancyEDogDined on 9/21/2014The "Fancy" menu is the most under-priced meal in town. Four courses for $50... and the FIRST course was six different small plates. Every dish was tasty and the service was excellent. I highly recommend it!Special Features:
- Feel-Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/12/2014I love this place. The food is right at the perfect level of "not too snooty" but fancy enough to make you smile and of course it all tastes great. Get the tasting menu, make a night of it and enjoy.Special Features:
- amazing!!!!foodieatheartDined on 9/12/2014had a great time here, brought husband for his birthday and we did the chefs menu & everything was soooo good, we couldn't stop talking about the food. We have been here several times but never have done the chefs menu, would definitely recommend this.Special Features:
- Great Service!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/9/2014We had chosen this restaurant for a special occasion dinner and weren't dissapointed. Along with excellent food, the service was outstanding. Without being overbearing, we got plenty of attention, all of our questions were answered, and we even left with 2 bags of complimentary fresh pasta ! Even though Ballard is as long drive for us, I'd definitely go back. And our fish were placed just right on the table, so that they could "kiss" before we ate them!Special Features:
- Very nicediggerDined on 9/8/2014This is a great place for sharing food with friends with the tasting menu item. Great atmosphere, friendly and attentive servers and great food. During the entree portion the meat was a little small to split with 3 people, but was very tasty.Special Features:
- LOVED THE FANCY MENU! A MUST!jaspolintanDined on 9/7/2014I have been wanting to eat here for awhile. It was my husband's birthday and we always try somewhere new for special occasions. I had to convince him to get the fancy menu and boy were we thrilled we made the decision. We had so much food and a great variety. It was the perfect amount of food and we definitely did not leave hungry. I would recommend this place for foodies and newbies alike!Special Features:
- Yum-eee!HolsDined on 9/6/2014I chose S & F for my B-day and I am so glad I did! I had the Fancy menu. Every single course was unique and delectable. Can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealLifjejazzDined on 9/5/2014We ordered the tasting menu which included a number of appetizers -- fried oysters with a spicy aioli, tartare, and several others, including a nicely dressed romaine salad. The main was king salmon, perfectly seared medium rare. And for dessert, a raspberry cheesecake. All the while we could watch the chefs work in the open kitchen. No drama here. Just good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentNomNom67Dined on 9/5/2014The food and service is OUTSTANDING. The chefs picks was really enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date Night!MikeGDined on 9/5/2014Food was incredible! Don't bother even looking at the menu....just hand it back to the waiter/waitress and ask for the tasting menu. Will be totally worth it! Good variety of items in the tasting menu and the flavor and quality was exceptional! Staff is always friendly and provides top notch service!Special Features:
- JohnVIPDined on 9/3/2014Outstanding meal. We had the fish the day grilled to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but noisyBD00Dined on 8/30/2014Our party of 3 had a delicious meal, choosing the tasting menu with wine pairings. The decor l- kind of old warehouse - is charming. The downside was that the room is so noisy that carrying on a conversation with table mates was a challenge.Special Features:
- potential unfulfilledlwocynVIPDined on 8/29/2014Our initial impressions were solid; the decor/ambience is interesting in an authentic/rustic sense, the noise level is about right, service was solid - never too pushy or too distant. Unfortunately the food was a huge let down. The hamachi crudo was solid but unspectacular; the pappardelle with pork belly was uninspiring - the pork was tough and fatty. For our entrees, we had the whole fish (bronzino) which was excellent and the NY strip which was a spectacular failure. When you order a NY Strip, you expect just that - a strip steak. This came out as a cold, filet mignon shaped round of beef with thick layers of fat more akin to a prime rib than a NY Strip. It was completely lacking in flavor and was easily the worst NY Strip I have had .
- Just Hand Back the Menuseattle2VIPDined on 8/29/2014We had our first meal here and took their invitation to "hand back the menu" and get the unspecified tasting menu. It was a fabulous choice! We had a wide array of appetizers (great breaded oysters, among others), a great salad course, a good steak as an entrée (with a fantastic smoked onion puree), and a double chocolate pairing for dessert (cake and ice cream). The service was very friendly and efficient, despite it being a busy Friday night. The wine list is reasonably extensive for a relatively small restaurant and prices were quite good by Seattle standards. We liked being able to watch the open kitchen. The high ceiling keeps the noise to a reasonable level despite a full crowd. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- Disappointingdinefine2Dined on 8/24/2014We came here for a special dinner with our daughter and her fiance and selected the "fancy" option, where the chef selects your dishes. The server was not helpful in shedding light on what we would be served...just said "Not things on the menu." We were served five appetizers, two pasta dishes, two entrees and two desserts to share. Nothing was tasty or remarkable in any way. The two entrees, salmon and steak, were bland and the steak was a bit tough. The two pasta dishes were prepared well, but were not very flavorful. The appetizers, save one, were also average fare. Desserts were fine. We had been to this restaurant before and had a better experience so MAYBE it was a bad night (chef gone?). We left feeling cheated.
- Could have been better EthanUsedtoBGoodDined on 8/17/2014Kitchen servers couldn't follow directions. Disappointed and won't be returning for quite a while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014We were a party of four and called to add another person. The restaurant would not accommodate us. Meanwhile the table next to us sat empty for the entire two hours we were there.Special Features:
- Tasting Menu = IncrediblebryntaylorDined on 8/15/2014We got the tasting menu and it was absolutely incredible.Special Features:
- Awesome!Gen336Dined on 8/10/2014We were 3 friends from Montreal visitig Seattle and this restaurant was amazing! A real foodie place. We shared appetizers, pastas and the whole fish (dorade) and everything was delicious. Great wine list too, a lot of great choices at a good price. The ambiance was warm, fun, trendy but not too noisy. And the service was excellent with Mike! Strongly recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The MOBOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/10/2014Staple and Fancy always delivers. The whole experience is great.Special Features:
- Food didn't live up to reviewstravelingfoodie73Dined on 8/7/2014Our vacations revolve around eating so we looked forward to our evening at Staple & Fancy. The service was impressive, but the food was not as memorable. It wasn't bad...just boring.Special Features:
- Good, almost greatPaulDined on 8/2/2014This was our second "Do it Fancy" dinner since March. While most offerings were tasty we felt the creativity slipped a little and some of the dishes were just so so. Most of the seven appetizers were good with the exception of the grilled octopus which seemed a little burned and tasteless. The veal chop was cooked perfectly and the desserts were excellent. We may wait a while before trying again.Special Features: