Staple & Fancy Mercantile
4739 Ballard Ave NW
Seattle, WA 98107Neighborhood:
Ballard / Fremont
NorthwestPrice: $31 to $50
Staple & Fancy Mercantile
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.stapleandfancymercantile.com/
- Phone: 2067891200x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday-Sunday 5:00pm-11:00pm
Bar: Monday-Sunday 5:00-???
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Ethan Stowell
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Restaurant buyout and off-site catering available. Please call 206-588-0030 for more details.
- Private Party Facilities: Staple & Fancy is available for private parties. In addition there is a very private Cellar room with seating for up to 18 guests below the restaurant - perfect for celebrations, business dinners or other events.
- Private Party Contact: Jen Osborn 2065880030x
A word from Staple & Fancy Mercantile
Located in Seattle’s thriving Ballard neighborhood, Staple & Fancy Mercantile is the latest venture of celebrated chef Ethan Stowell. Housed in a beautifully renovated early 1900’s building, this intimate restaurant showcases Ethan’s simple Italian inspired cooking style. The popular “Chefs Choice” menu offers guests a one-of-a-kind dining experience with dishes created from uniquely sourced products, local seasonal ingredients, and house-made pastas. An a la carte menu is also available. The small bar is perfect for snacking and offers a tasteful selection of aperitifs and cocktails. The wine list is Euro-centric with a thoughtful selection of Northwest wines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerNorthwest
Staple & Fancy Mercantile - Best Restaurants in Ballard / Fremont ›
Staple & Fancy Mercantile reviews from OpenTable diners
97 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (72)special occasion (65)neighborhood gem (52)romantic (33)hot spot (27)notable wine list (24)good for groups (17)late-night find (10)vibrant bar scene (7)great for outdoor dining (5)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Could have been better EthanOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/17/2014Kitchen servers couldn't follow directions. Disappointed and won't be returning for quite a while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014We were a party of four and called to add another person. The restaurant would not accommodate us. Meanwhile the table next to us sat empty for the entire two hours we were there.Special Features:
- Tasting Menu = IncrediblebryntaylorDined on 8/15/2014We got the tasting menu and it was absolutely incredible.Special Features:
- Awesome!Gen336Dined on 8/10/2014We were 3 friends from Montreal visitig Seattle and this restaurant was amazing! A real foodie place. We shared appetizers, pastas and the whole fish (dorade) and everything was delicious. Great wine list too, a lot of great choices at a good price. The ambiance was warm, fun, trendy but not too noisy. And the service was excellent with Mike! Strongly recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food didn't live up to reviewstravelingfoodie73Dined on 8/7/2014Our vacations revolve around eating so we looked forward to our evening at Staple & Fancy. The service was impressive, but the food was not as memorable. It wasn't bad...just boring.Special Features:
- Good, almost greatPaulDined on 8/2/2014This was our second "Do it Fancy" dinner since March. While most offerings were tasty we felt the creativity slipped a little and some of the dishes were just so so. Most of the seven appetizers were good with the exception of the grilled octopus which seemed a little burned and tasteless. The veal chop was cooked perfectly and the desserts were excellent. We may wait a while before trying again.Special Features:
- In a Class By ItselfSnorkelalotDined on 8/2/2014Staple & Fancy is a restaurant in a class all by itself. What a fantastic find! I enjoyed the Chef's Choice menu - a variety of small plate starters - each one delicious and different. Following the many starters was a pasta dish with King Crab that was about the best I have ever had. A perfectly cooked steak was the entree. Dessert and coffee topped it off. My waiter helped me choose 1/2 glasses of wine that went with the parade of courses. He also gave me some good advice on where to taste wine in Woodinville (where I was going the next day). When I visit Seattle again, this will be one of the places I return to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Staple & FancyCindyVIPDined on 7/30/2014This is one of my go-to spots for a special evening. Historic Ballard is charming at this end of town; there is a new bar next door, so that there is a lively scene with outdoor seating. Food is excellent; ambiance is comfortable but edgy and minimalist without being cold or modern. All around terrific place to celebrate an occasion, impress out-of-towners, or go late-night for a bite. Love this place!Special Features:
- Spectacular experienceculinatorDined on 7/26/2014With some trepidation, we ordered the 4-course chef's menu as suggested on the menu without knowing what we would be served. Smartest decision we made the entire 8 day trip. The first "course" actually consisted of about 6 small plates, each of which was excellent. The fried oysters (with chili aioli) were the best any of our party of 5 had ever eaten. The pasta, fish, meat and 3 desserts were also outstanding. We had many fine meals on this trip, but this was the best, which is saying quite a bit.Special Features:
- Magical.Settingiano1Dined on 7/25/2014Nothing about out experience could possibly have been any better . The evening began and ended with the best possible server, Nicole. She made the "fancy" understated yet exuberant, serendipitous, anticipated our every thought. The food, fast, furious and incredible . Wine pairings also great. Best Dining Experience-quite possibly ever. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jw40Dined on 7/20/2014we had a wonderful time. We chose the chef's choice menu. Everything was great!Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerRavishDined on 7/19/2014My wife and I spent our Anniversary dinner here, and couldn't have been happier. We did the tasting menu which came with 8 small plates (oysters, sea bass, fresh mozzarella, salad, soup, bread, prosciutto, , a gnocchi dish, a steak, and a delicious chocolate cake, ice cream combo! Every plate blew us away and we the whole experience was A+. The only disappointment was that its taken us this long to go here, will be returning soon!Special Features:
- WOW! No complaints, just accolades.FreakwentDinerVIPDined on 7/16/2014I picked Staple & Fancy on a whim for a dinner with several colleagues whom I was traveling with. We were not disappointed. We took a leap of faith and chose the Chef's Selection. The Chef's Selection is a four course meal of whatever the chef wants to prepare and served family style. The first course consisted of 6 small appetizers ranging from smoke salmon on a crostini to a green pea soup to fried oysters. The second course was an amazing homemade ravioli in a brown butter sauce. The entrée was a piece of perfectly cooked steak and a large fish filet. Dessert consisted of 4 small choices which included a lemon cake with olive oil...simply amazing. Did I mention, they matched wine with each course...5 different wines.Special Features:
- Good not greatFortysomethingguyDined on 7/9/2014Having just been to Red Cow I had high expectations for Staple & Fancy. While it was overall good I had expected to be really impressed and when you pay a premium for dinner that would seem justified. Might be time to revisit the menu and cut down on the salt. Ambiance and service were very good.Special Features:
- Won't be backpdxoriginalVIPDined on 7/5/2014My husband and I have eaten her on multple occasions. We decided to go back to celebrate our anniversary. I have to say we were disappointed in the overpriced salad, the entrees were so-so and due to the price point $$$ we won't return. There are just too many other options in Ballard.
- The BestLgeeVIPDined on 7/1/2014Staple & Fancy is, hands down, my favorite restaraunt in Seattle. The staff there has made many a special night for me, even more special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/29/2014We had the tasting menu and it was fantastic. Everything was delicious and the portions were just right. We felt taken care of and really enjoyed our evening.Special Features:
- No way to say how much we enjoyed!Cindy8000VIPDined on 6/28/2014This was our second visit to Staple and Fancy and it will be on our list now every time we come to Seattle. You must do the Chef's Surprise menu. It really exceeded our expectations. It's about $50.00 a person and would be worth it at $75.00. There are lots of great things to try and more food than you can eat. We loved everything! The wine was great too, and not overly pricey! Go there now.Special Features:
- Excellent Tasting MenuMicheleVIPDined on 6/21/2014Great tasting menu option. Offered to accommodate our guest with some good allergies--unusual for a tasting menu. Very impressed with their flexibility and the nice pace of service. Everything was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great restaurantRonaldDined on 6/8/2014Four of us ordered the "Fancy" menu. They just kept bringing good food. The wait staff was delightful. Good wine list. All in all, a really good dining experience.Special Features:
- Best Damn Chef AroundOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/7/2014Go to Staple & Fancy. Pass the menu back and get the chef's tasting menu. End of Discussion. Period. Full Stop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Somewhere between staple and fancyfoodie2Dined on 6/1/2014The decor, ambiance, and preparation here were good. The challenge seems to be to maintain the allure of a fine dining experience amidst rustic interior and Ballard funkiness. Some of these challenges were met. The food, though tasty, is a tad over-priced for the servings; the $50 per person offer is absurdly overpriced for the "small bites" of many dishes; and the special fish we ordered (an entire fish) provided, perhaps, a total of six bites of fish. Delicious bites, true, but tiny. That was one skinny fish. Overall, we will wander somewhere else in the future.
- Great Service and Fantastic FoodHoobaDined on 5/30/2014Came here for a girl's night dinner and we all loved it! I ordered to Campadella pasta, which was full of flavor and amazing. Would definitely order it again. The others order the veal chop and whole fish - both said the same thing. The service was quite impeccable as well! Only con of the experience was the length of time it took to get a drink - took at least 20 minutes for us to get another round after ordering. The restaurant is also in a fantastic building with a few other restaurants. You could really eat your way through the building in one long night starting with appetizers at The Walrus & Carpenter, dinner at Staple & Fancy and after dinner drinks at Barnicle.Special Features:
- Great foodPickyfoodieVIPDined on 5/30/2014My favorite restaurant in Ballard. Most things I've eaten here are absolutely fabulous. I love the whipped ricotta and grilled bread. I have many pasta favorites as well. Fish dishes I've eaten here have been delicious.Special Features:
- Life- changing goodbryntaylorDined on 5/17/2014We got the tasting menu and every course was amazing. It was a bit too much food for two people, but we ate it all anyway because it was that delicious. The pasta, in particular, was incredibly flavorful and creative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- spoil yourselvesbillDined on 5/12/2014this is the second time for us. even better than the first (which was outstanding). go for the chef tasting, and bring an appetite. take your time and savor every morsel. ambience, character, freshness, innovative. great staff. you will soon call this your secret find. it truly is that good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodies FavLoveDiningOutDined on 5/10/2014Absolutely fabulous. Four of us dined on Saturday evening, including my 91 year old mother. We chose "fancy" and had the chef choose our food for the evening. It was so delightful! And so much food! We all enjoyed our evening very much! Highly recommend! A slight drawback for some, it is a little noisy for those with hearing aids, but even given that we would all go back again! We loved this gem!Special Features:
- chef's menuIheartsushiDined on 4/28/2014Wonderful meal once again at S&F- chef's menu did not disappoint. Amazing antipasti dishes, gnocchi was outstanding, veal shoulder was a bit heavy handed with the salt, but that did not stop us from enjoying it all. And amazing chocolate gelato. look forward to going back soon. And our server Lino was terrific.Special Features:
- The following 749 reviews are from the Staple & Fancy Mercantile reviews archive.
- Put yourself in the chef's hands!StardestroyerDined on 4/18/2014Don't even look at the menu - just hand it back and let them take care of you! Excellent family style, four-course service with fun wine pairings. Great service and upbeat atmosphere. Everyone is having a great time and you can't help but have a great one, too!Special Features:
- Good StuffOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/16/2014We went there for Seattle Restaurant Week and have been looking forward to trying it for a long time. We weren't disappointed in anything. It was all wonderful. The cocktail, the food, the service, the ambiance, the everything was fantastic and I will definitely be returning for future non deal meals as well.Special Features:
- Food was subpar --hoggenhoffDined on 4/16/2014We were really underimpressed by the food. I thought a number of the dishes we chose were not nearly as good as they should have been-- the potato gnocchi in lamb ragout reminded more of beefaroni than anything "rustic". We will not be dining here again-- but, the drinks were fantastic. Service was warm and pleasant-- so much so that we didnt complain about the food.
- Fantastic restaurantallaboutfoodDined on 4/15/2014We had an amazing time on Tuesday night. The service was really good and the food was just awesome. We loved every bite. I love the ambience and lighting of the place and free street parking is always a bonus! We will definitely be coming here againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The mixed hors d'oeuvres wereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/13/2014The mixed hors d'oeuvres were all superb, the mackerel sublime.Special Features:
- WonderfulEvaXDined on 4/13/2014Superb food and great service, even during restaurant week. Definitely going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The tasting menu is excellentBelAirVIPDined on 4/12/2014The tasting menu is excellent and gluten-free options no problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved this evening!PegBDined on 4/11/2014Dinner with adult children - all somewhat foodies -- couldn't have been a better choice for food, ambiance, special celebration dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonder full menu. So manyerinDined on 4/9/2014Wonder full menu. So many appetizers. I would go back for sure.Special Features:
- Fantastic Dinner!BellevueWorkingMomDined on 4/4/2014A group of four of us decided to do the Chef's Choice menu, which is where you get what you get - and it was fantastic! None of us had any food allergies or aversions, but I got the impression they would happily accommodate anything we needed. The food we got was delicious and varied, and there was plenty of it, which made for a very fun, interesting, and wonderful meal. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant in Seattle?Susan23VIPDined on 4/3/2014I think so! Set aside the menu and go with the Chef's Selections. You won't regret it! Best meal I've had in Seattle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just what we were looking for...breeDined on 3/29/2014We have been trying to experience some new restaurants outside of our box of comfort and had heard of Ethan's restaurants around town. This place provides a hip ambience, nice casual dress (not stuffy at all), and yet feel like an upscale place-of-choice for a special occasion. The format of his 'approach' makes it very casual and almost demands all those in your party to participate family-style. We have yet to try the 'fixed menu' option - maybe for next time. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.