Stang of Siam
1301 North Calvert Street
Baltimore, MD 21202Neighborhood:
ThaiPrice: $30 and under
Stang of Siam
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.stangofsiam.com/
- Phone: 4434539142
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Thai, Vegetarian, Asian
- Executive Chef: Kanitha Carraghan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Stang of Siam
You can taste for yourself the delicious Thai menu that the whole city is buzzing about.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Stang of Siam reviews from OpenTable diners
- Good place to Thai one onFormerFedVIPDined on 3/23/2014Stang of Siam was nearly empty when I arrived late on a cold Sunday afternoon, but a constant stream of folk picking up takeout indicated it is a neighborhood favorite. I had the beef salad, pork in garlic sauce, and mango with sticky rice. All were tasty, although the appetizer and entree did not merit their two pepper warning on the menu. The dark rice that came with dessert was novel, but went well with the ripe mango slices. Service was attentive and I finished dinner in a little more than an hour, in ample time to make the 7:30 PM curtain of "Twelfth Night" at Center Stage a half-dozen blocks south on Calvert Street. I'm very glad I tried Stang of Siam for my pre-theater dinner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- alright! Pad See Ew!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/19/2014Glad to have Stang in the neighborhood. Hope it stays busy and bustling and henceforth - in business! Try it out for some good Thai food. It's hard to find Pad See Ew in the city - Stang's is great. Enjoyed their house green salad with the peanut dressing. The papaya salad tasted a little too fishy for my palate - they should tone it down! Our server was very nice but it seemed like he was the only one in the room at 6:30pm on a Wednesday night. A little hectic. Give the man some help! Stang should really do away with the BIG tv in the dining room. Others have said it before. It's a lovely little space - cute menus, cute decor......the tv really takes it down a notch. Other than that, love Stang and will definitely be back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant was such aBrunchmeisterDined on 3/8/2014This restaurant was such a delightful find! Each of us ordered a different dish and sampled each. All of us were amazed by the wonderful complex flavors of the sauces. The dishes ordered were seafood panang, drunken noodles and massaman curry. The ambience was lovely - walls painted aubergine color, Asian carvings and statues, hardwood floors. We arrived at 5:00 and we noticed the place was very busy at about 5:45 and later. I heartily recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Good Thai food in a small packageKarateJamesDined on 2/22/2014Stang has tasty Thai dishes, some that are hard to find anywhere else. The duck with red curry bowl is one of my favorites. If you want to get a table without a reservation get in before 6, or you'll be standing at the bar for a while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food pretty good, ambience needs woVMMDDined on 2/20/2014We went there with business friends. Food was pretty good (3 out of 4 liked what they had, 4th had no spices at all (even so it was sold as spicey)), ambience...well TV was running with nobody but the staff watching, and some strange (for an otherwise nice Thai restaurant) rap music was way loud...
- Great FoodAkinDined on 2/15/2014Got a little warm under a heat vent but when the waiter was told it was fixed immediately. Great food, service a little slow but not bad at all.Special Features:
- Amazing foodAdamDined on 1/19/2014I wish i could give a sixth star to their food rating. I will definitely be returningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very tastycharmcitycmkDined on 12/30/2013we went during the week; it was not crowded and not noisy which was perfect. We told them we were seeing a movie at The Charles so we didn't have too much time. They said no problem-- and they were prompt and delicious! I am a repeat customer here. Go- it's good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try this ThaitastefullytackyDined on 12/26/2013First time dining here and it was enjoyable. Innovative menu presentation. My entrée didn't live up to my expectations, however, my friends enjoyed theirs very much. A bit pricey, but ample portions. I'll need to try this place again and order something different before passing judgment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The ambiance was outstanding;howeveOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/21/2013The ambiance was outstanding;however, the food quality left much to be desired. There was an abundance of salt and oil in all the dishes, and the rice was old. The wait staff was courteous, and quickly righted a mistake in the order.
- Great Thai PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/14/2013After sampling some Thai restaurants in the Mt. Vernon area, this place has by far the best food of the bunch. While it is a bit pricier than the others, it makes up for it in large portion sizes and excellent quality. Definitely recommended for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thai food before the theaterregularcustomerVIPDined on 11/2/2013The menu has depth and range. The flavors are fresh and bright. You can request more or less spice. This is a great choice before the theater or anytime.Special Features:
- My favorite Thai in Baltimore!MaryVIPDined on 9/17/2013My favorite Thai in Baltimore! Great food and staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The noise spoiled our dining.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/7/2013We had dinner before a BSO Concert. The location is very convenient. The decor is nice. The food was quite good, and enjoyable. However, there is a major issue with the architecture to use this space as a restaurant. There was a group party going on upstairs, and it was VERY loud for the whole space. In fact, a family walked in and seated after us. But because of the noise, they walked out right away. Because of this loud party, the service was very slow at the beginning, and we were not served with anything (even appetizers) for the first 30 minutes. Also, the server didn't hear our order correctly (because of the noise), and came back with wrong orders. Again, it's a shame that our first experience was so bad, because of the noise.Special Features:
- amazing food, inconsistent servicefoodie12345Dined on 9/5/2013I have eaten here a few times and this by far was my best experience. I usually go around 7 or so and at that time the service is horrible ; I think they might be understaffed. Their food is always great. My go-to dish is drunken noodles but their curry dishes are quite great as well. If you want to enjoy your time here, eat dinner a little early (5pm no later than 5:45pm). At that time the service staff is attentive and "on point"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Thai in Baltimore!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2013This Thai food is delicious, reasonably priced, and always fresh! Great vegetarian choices!Special Features:
- Always Good Food and Times at StangjydxnDined on 7/13/2013We've been going to Stang of Siam for a couple of years now and always enjoy their Thai cuisine. Even my foodie daughter from Atlanta was impressed, and that's hard to do. The menu is diverse, food can be as mild or spicey as you desire , drinks are creative, service is always good to very. Highly recommended. The dining room has an intimate feel and there's a second level overlooking the main dining room that's cool for a larger group. They have never disappointed me. Prices reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good foodjdp44VIPDined on 6/29/2013The food was very good, not great. Service a bit lacking but overall a good experience and we all agreed we would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, friendly staff,DineoutalotDined on 6/22/2013Good food, friendly staff, very noisy, poor acoustics.Special Features:
- We'll definitely be back.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/18/2013We visited SoS for the first time after serving by it on a daily basis. The food was very good and service was attentive, unlike the experiences of some other reviewers so management may have gotten the message. We regularly eat at Thai Landing (same neighborhood), Thai Arroy (in SoBo) and Thai One On in Towson, all of which I like a tad better. However, Stang of Siam was really very good, and it is probably a more attractive restaurant inside than any of the others. Visit SoS, you won't be disappointed. Try the red curry -- it was as good as any I had in Bangkok.Special Features:
- best thai in awhileSmjsmjDined on 6/8/2013very authentic Thai, hard to find such rich flavour as here. Will go back. Prices reasonable.Special Features:
- Delightful and deliciousMaryVIPDined on 6/5/2013Always delightful and delicious. The food is beautiful, tasty and they use fresh ingredients. Great for pre theater or pre symphony too!Special Features:
- Great food challenging serviceTangoVIPDined on 5/18/2013The food was fantastic, however, the focus of the servers is cleaning and resetting tables, rather than serving seated customers. Delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This review is based on myOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 5/9/2013This review is based on my most recent visit. I have been there in the past and the service has always been great, but on this last trip it was a different story. The service was slow even though the place was not crowded and we explained that we were in a hurry. I went to the bar to ask for my check. Several minutes passed after I ask and stood there. Then a customer came in to pick up a take-out order and that person was allowed to pay before I was with no explaination. This is just one example of many. The food was still good, but based on the service, I can only rate this visit as fair.
- SurprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/4/2013Food was much better than expected. Preparation and ingredients were fresh. Sauces were subtle and somewhat different than other Thai restaurants I have eaten at. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine service, 50:50 on the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/2/20134 of us oldies went on 5/1. The front dining room filled up while we ate, but the other areas not in use. But contrary to other recent reviews we had good service. The food on the other hand left somewhat to be desired. The seafood pad Thai was deconstructed, had no tofu, was mushy and not very tasty. The rockfish lacked flavor too - where was the chili lime sauce? The other 2 main dishes were better, Wonderful duck breast. Good green chicken curry which would have been improved by authentic Thai eggplants.Special Features:
- Food was great service poorJohnVIPDined on 4/28/2013Bad service here has been a perennial problem. The food was fresh and innovative ....we love that. Drinks were good too. Mount Vernon needs a good Thai restaurant but the service is horrid. There were three waitresses spinning aimlessly about the room....they are good at not making eye contact or responding to gesticulation. Fortunately, the bartender would occassionally come out and help take orders and replenish water and the like. The restaurant was not crowded. Some training may help.Special Features:
- The food was excellent butJackSDined on 4/27/2013The food was excellent but the service really let us down. We felt like we'd been forgotten and when remembered we had to provide our entire order in one fell swoop. Also noise level made conversation difficult. What is it with modern restaurants?! A conversation should not be a challenge.
- Absolutely deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/27/2013Some people may have trouble with the service b/c it's clear English is a second language, but there's no denying how absolutely delicious the food is. I went with Pad Eggplant, and although they mistook my order of beef for chicken, I did not mind the accidental substitution. The portion is perfectly satisfactory. For people who appreciate aesthetics, the venue itself is beautiful and the menus and checkbooks are creative and just right for the thai ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really quite good overallmelodyDined on 4/6/2013Really quite good overall large portions nicely plated food good to excellent mixed age group nice diversity. Will definitely recommend and go again reservations needed for Saturday nightSpecial Features:
- Stang has great Thai food,KarateJamesDined on 3/16/2013Stang has great Thai food, especially the 'signature' dishes, which I'd recommend. The duck in curry with lychee was great. Service was a bit slow, but on date night I'm not looking to get rushed out anyway. My only complaint was the bar - it lacks depth of selection, being limited to rail-level drinks. It could really use an upgrade to some high end liquor etc. And they ran out of plum wine while we were there. Definitely worthwhile!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Thai food. Not thePhilEdinerVIPDined on 3/2/2013Excellent Thai food. Not the absolute best I've ever had, but its some of the best I have eaten in a long time. The wide rice noodles in the beef pad see ew were fantastic, although the beef was a bit overdone. We had a group of 6 and everyone was very pleased with the meal.Special Features:
- The food was great. The serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/1/2013The food was great. The service was ok (not great or good even). We were barely greeted when we went in. We were never asked if we wanted a second drink during dinner despite empty glasses. I'd recommend eating there, but expect a good dinner, not a dining experience. I'm sure we will be going back.Special Features:
- On a cold night, the largeOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/21/2012On a cold night, the large windows made for a chilly setting. In fact, although there is some very nice art work, the atmosphere is stark. No problems with the food: the dishes were good with bright flavors and interestingly presented. Service was acceptable, but, like the atmosphere, chilly.