Stanford's - Walnut Creek
1300 S. Main St
Walnut Creek, CA 94596Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Stanford's - Walnut Creek
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.stanfords.com/
- Phone: (925) 944-0895
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Rick Green
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from Stanford's - Walnut Creek
Welcome to Your Neighborhood Restaurant & Bar! Whether you're craving fresh seafood, a gourmet burger, a perfectly prepared steak or another of our delicious offerings, come join the neighborhood crowd for lunch, dinner or our award winning happy hour. Signature dishes include our cedar… plank-roasted warm brie, our famous barbecue ribs, and delicious cocktails created by our experienced team of local bartenders.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Stanford's - Walnut Creek - Best Restaurants in Walnut Creek ›
Stanford's - Walnut Creek reviews from OpenTable diners
66 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (26)good for groups (21)special occasion (20)neighborhood gem (20)fit for foodies (15)kid-friendly (10)romantic (9)vibrant bar scene (8)great for outdoor dining (8)great for brunch (7)late-night find (6)notable wine list (5)hot spot (4)Show More
- Very DisappointedTSizzleDined on 11/21/2014My wife and I took a lifelong friend here for dinner. While it was ok I was highly disappointed in the service, disappointed in the wine list, the lack of top shelf liquors available and more. I am not sure if the thought crossed there mind to possibly serve bread with the meal but apparently not. The waiter was honestly clueless and had to be asked multiple times for waters, refills and hunted down to get boxes and a bill. Not the Stanfords I remember and I probably will not be back.
- Amy is awesomePrimelessAffairDined on 11/15/2014The service provided by Amy was excellent. We were disappointed that they ran out of prime rib, it was 7:30 on saturday evening, you think they would of told us when we were seated. Also we requested water from the bus staff 3 times, and it never came. Our server was excellent. She was friendly and provided us with excellent service. The menu is very limited, no seafood offerings, and the side dishes are small. They do not serve baked potatoes, 3 small potatoe wedges instead. Very disappointing. The rib eye was pretty good, but very thin like a skirt steak. You would think they would enhance the menu being that they are located in downtown WC, prime location. If I go there again, it will be for happy hour.
- Great service.DelightfulserverVIPDined on 11/13/2014We've been to Stanford's enough time so our server recognized us. We felt fortunate we were at one of his tables. He accommodates to very request.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love Wine Down Wednesdays4JsNightOutDined on 11/5/2014Wine is 50% off a bottle on Wednesdays; food is always excellent and staff is very professional and welcoming. Always a great meal for a reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfectly fineMelanieVIPDined on 11/1/2014Solid family restaurant. Food is good but nothing to write home about. Comfortable ambiance, cozy booths. We went on a moderately busy Saturday night, and service was frustratingly slow (though perhaps we were overly sensitive because we were trying to make a movie, though we told server that and it didn't seem to improve things).Special Features:
- food selectionGoodtimesDined on 10/29/2014The food is good, but there is not that much of a selection.Special Features:
- New MenukristievDined on 10/18/2014We like the new menu... it still has our favorites, but is smaller and easier to navigate. Our party all ordered the ribs, which were excellent! We have been coming here for years and still like the layout with many booths. It makes for a more private and quiet setting for conversation. Overall, Stanford's is a comfortable and dependable place for a casual evening out.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early DinerjoyceeowenVIPDined on 10/8/2014We went to celebrate a birthday. We also decided to eat in the lounge and have the happy hour menu until another member in the party arrived. We ordered drinks and appetizer.It wasn't until after we ordered did we find out that Wednesday was 1/2 price bottles of wine. We would have opted for that choice. I started with Gin & Tonic and swear there was no Gin in the drink. I did mention to our server but didn't do anything about it. I ordered the beer cheese soup and 2 extra spoons, spoons didn't come until the soup was luke warm but it was very good while hot. The entrees each of us had were very good. I totally forgot that I mentioned a birthday celebration until they brought a cream' brulee. Over all good experience.
- Wonderful restaurantgreateatingDined on 10/2/2014We always enjoy Stanford's Walnut Creek and go there often. We belong to their dining club and love building up our points for rewards of free dining. They are always very friendly and want you to have a great meal.....check on you about that several times during your mea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and serviceregularDined on 9/29/2014Took a client for a business lunch and it was great. He really liked the Salmon Caesar salad. I had the Kruse burger and it was good, but not the best burger I have ever had. I expected it to be a little less done so I guess I need to specify if I were to order it again. Great service from Pat. He was extremely attentive.Special Features:
- This place continues to declineWalnutCreekFoodieDined on 9/12/2014Service was so bad...our waitress was overwhelmed with a large party and the hostess and management team did nothing to help. We didn't get things we ordered, had to ask for water refills, ended up putting our plates on a nearby table as one after the other, staff walked by our table and didn't help clear it. My risotto was swimming in oil. There's a reason you can always find an open slot on OpenTable.com. Because it's just not that good.
- Everything was just ok.Jean24VIPDined on 9/11/2014I brought my niece to Stanford's to celebrate her 21st birthday. I heard pretty good things from people about the place so thought it would be a nice time. The hostess was pretty rude and kind of just starred at us when we walked in instead of greeting us. So I told her we had reservations and she brought us to a table. Our waitress was nice but didn't check on us. I had the 3 for $35 special. I started with the soup of the day (gumbo) which was overly salty and just not good. So after a bite from each of us, it just sat there. Then for entree I had the prime rib and salmon. The salmon was good but the prime rib was not. It was chewy and rubbery. My niece had the baby back ribs which were good. Dessert (maroon berry cobbler) was too sweet.Special Features:
- Great place for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/8/2014This was my second time going to Stanford's and I was not disappointed with my birthday dinner. There were 5 of us and everyone was pleased with their meal. Service was wonderful. I will definitely go again for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good atmosphere, food has slippedRudyDined on 9/7/2014My favorite dish there has been changed. The Blackened salmon salad went from excellent to somewhere above good. The cheese used to be shaved, it is now grated. The salad used to be romaine spears, now it is cut into 1-inch chunks. The bread used to be a crisp crostinini, now it is some kind of pizza-type bread that seems stale. The salmon, thankfully, was still good. But I was disappointed.Special Features:
- lovefoodDined on 9/6/2014Enjoyed our adult evening out with another couple. Service was excellent and each of us enjoyed our dinner of fish and chips, salmon and prime rib, blackened salmon salad. Dessert was yummy too.... bread pudding and marionberry cobbler.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but slow.RowdynunDined on 9/4/2014Reservations for 6. Took over an hour for food to arrive. Given the excuse there was a party of 20 they were waiting on. Well, there were at least 20 in our section waiting. Luckily, we were all pleased with the food. Will return for the veggie burger.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stanford Restaurant is great!greateatingDined on 9/1/2014During the last year we have "discovered" Stanford's in Walnut Creek and now go there often for either lunch or dinner. If you join their club you can earn points toward free meals which is fun.Special Features:
- Family diningJonowcDined on 8/30/2014Food was great. Option for kids were awesome. Bread and grapes for the kids as appetizer and good size kids meal, plus ice cream for $7. Nice deal. This is a great option for family dining. High end ambiance, but ideal for a 5 & 3 year old. Great alternative to the Cheesecake Factory, with to be honest, better food. We will be back.Special Features:
- Good food and prices; great serviceKathysVIPDined on 8/23/2014We went there for a birthday celebration and got happy hour prices in the bar. The food was very good and the staff made my friend's birthday enjoyable with a delicious dessert and good wishes.
- good solid foodbrunchVIPDined on 8/20/2014lunch specials very nice value. Large servings, good food
- Great meeting placeMurphys6666Dined on 8/19/2014Had an excellent light dinner and refreshments in the bar area. The quesadilla was out of this world and my friend's tacos were excellent as well. Good selection of wine and beer. I've been there many times in the past for dinner and for late evening meals at the bar. Always quality food and fast, friendly service. A nice place for a networking or business meeting as it is quiet enough to have a pleasant conversation. Also plenty of monitors for sports fans. I highly recommend them.Special Features:
- The worst service and recoverystanfordDined on 8/16/2014I'll make it brief: 1-sat at dirty table and then proceeded to wipe it down in front of us with soaking wet rag- to which menus stuck once placed on table. 2-entrees came a mere 10 minutes after app, to which the server tried to place them in front of us, tho we were no where near finished with appetizer. 3-took entrees back, and sat under heat lamp for another 15 minutes before above scenario repeated itself. 4- hence my filet temp was well done rather than the med/rare I ordered. 5-at every turn the staff looked at us like we had two heads when questioned the timing, and needs of our meal. no management. 6-$100+ for average food and below average common sense re: service skills...?? No way! =never going back and telling all my friends.
- Reliable Dining Experiencejoy2dineVIPDined on 8/16/2014As usual, our dining experience at Stanford's was great! One of our entrees was not correct, and it was quickly rectified with an apology. We left there pleasantly satisfied, and we will be back again and again!Special Features:
- great menuchurchieDined on 8/15/2014Stanfords has a great menu selection. No matter what diet or plan that you are on there is something to eat.Special Features:
- Relaxed atmosphereBobSDined on 8/13/2014Met with friends; was able to have lunch at a reasonable pace... Carlos, our server, was very accommodating! Outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience!AnnieA1952Dined on 8/10/2014This restaurant was awesome! We had very attentive wait persons, but not so overly attentive as we could not enjoy our experience. Even the manager came over a few times to make sure we were well attended to. The food was abundant, delicious, and beautifully presented! We could not have asked for a better experience! We will definitely return!Special Features:
- Too expensive for what you geteatoutallthetimeDined on 8/8/2014Food is too expensive for what you get. For $21.00 you get an mediocre entrée with no vegetables, no salad. You don't even get any bread. Not a good value. There are many other better restaurants in the area with better food for a better price.
- Thursday Night Dinner OutVineanddineVIPDined on 8/7/2014Bit of a struggle to get in as the adjacent mall was conducting a concert in front of Standford's. Entered and was seated at our table #82. Greetings from all our friends who have worked there the past couple years and was introduced to the new GM, Anthony. Nice man, successful background. I ordered simple, bowl of the crab gumbo and steak cobb salad. Wife had gumbo and wings and mother-in-law ordered the steelhead off the special menu. Gumbo was excellent, my steak cobb was lacking flavor and lettuce seemed to be a bit old. Wife enjoyed her wings and loved the gumbo. MIL ate every bit of the steelhead and remarked on how nice it tasted. Good food and good price. A good night out...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Walnut Creek FavoriteTheOldFoodieVIPDined on 8/5/2014Home away from home for lunch, dinner or late night dining. From steaks to salmon, burgers to ribs, I always send friends and neighbors to Stanford's. A local gem where they know all the regulars by name.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyablefoodie55Dined on 7/31/2014Each of the five of us had a wonderful experience. Kuahiwi was our server again and she was very good as usual. I have a very low sodium diet and as every time I've been here, it was taken care of very well. The food and presentation were great.We have been here many times and we will continue to enjoy Stanford's in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service for a big groupOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/27/2014We had a party of 15 and everything was served on time and was delicious.Special Features:
- The following 256 reviews are from the Stanford's - Walnut Creek reviews archive.
- Great start for date nightJaymeHDined on 7/25/2014The ambiance is nice and you can actually have a private conversation. However my chicken pasta came with so much oil in it that I had to ask for a separate plate just to drain my oil off onto. It was really bad. Service was great though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, average,serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/24/2014Late lunch, friendly hostess, but waitress not very attentive, even though we were after the lunch rush. Didn't check in, drinks took forever, and she never returned with the requested dessert menu. Food was outstanding, though, so will give it another try.Special Features:
- Great for meeting friendsVCorDined on 7/18/2014We meet friends here because the menu has something for everyone and we can sit in a booth and hear each other. Our server was very professional and allowed us to take our time while still providing everything.Special Features:
- Adequate for a meetingelizcaVIPDined on 7/14/2014The service was inaccurate and inattentive. Never brought water that was requested. No refills on tea for a long time. Waited for the check; couldn't find the server. The food was fine but not great. It works for a meeting but I am likely not to return. Expensive for mediocre food.
- Ed1104Dined on 7/6/2014We had dinner July 6th with some friends. Service and food was great as usual. Our experience was notable. Will dine again in the future.Special Features:
- Home Town FavoriteVineanddineVIPDined on 7/3/2014Stanford's is the Cheers of Walnut Creek. The servers and management know us and welcome us. We enjoyed a simple dinner. Calamari starter and bottle of wine followed by the Kruse Burger for me and the French Dip for my wife. The burger was wonderful and the French Dip was packed with prime rib and flavor. The Calamari was spot on and the price was very good for all. Service was managed nicely and meals came out on time. Everything was just about perfect! Good night out was found at Stanfords.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- old and tiredOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/1/2014This place is departed in need of a makeovet. It feels tired and dated. The food is average. The steak is well prepared but the calamari doesn't seem fresh. The Cobb salad had blackened avocado in it and the cheesy focacio is inedible. The server was very nice but kept disappearing. With so many excellent restaurants in walnut creek I can't understand why anyone would ever return to this restaurant.
- MabrapoDined on 6/22/2014Overall nice atmosphere and very courteous waitress. Food well prepared and presented properly.Special Features:
- Great experienceGoldenjagDined on 6/21/2014My family and I (party of 7 with 2 kids) had dinner here a few days ago. We had such a great experience! Our server was awesome, very friendly and very accommodating of the large party and our child with nut allergies which is always a relief for us. Our food was excellent, my favorite by far was the brie appetizer. We had a variety of items from the prime rib dip to the burger and fish tacos. Definitely an wonderful experience and we will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.