8900 Stanford Boulevard
Columbia, MD 21045Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thestanfordgrill.com/
- Phone: 410-312-0445x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:05pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:05pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Anthony Peake
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout
- Entertainment: Live Jazz Nightly
A word from Stanford Grill
With a unique focus on creating an inviting upscale dining experience, we serve fresh, familiar food in a high-energy, sophisticated casual setting. Our chefs prepare full-flavored food from scratch daily, using fresh seasonal ingredients. We stay true to classic American comfort food that is simple, but deliciously prepared. A knowledgeable team approach provides unwavering attention to delighting our guests with warm and consistent service. Stanford Grill's timeless atmosphere appeals to discerning adults who are seeking a dining experience that is energetic, upscale but approachable.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Stanford Grill - Best Restaurants in Columbia ›
Stanford Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
346 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (199)good for groups (135)fit for foodies (135)neighborhood gem (131)romantic (131)great for lunch (97)great for outdoor dining (78)great for brunch (71)notable wine list (65)hot spot (51)vibrant bar scene (43)late-night find (23)kid-friendly (18)scenic view (15)Show More
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014This was my wife and I 1st time going here. She was blown away!! Great service, food and drinks!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So soLove2Dine87Dined on 9/26/2014This was my first time at the Stanford. The service was great but the food was so so. The crab cakes were small and the chicken was nothing special. They had live jazz which was nice but depending on where you're seated you may not be able to hear it. I may give it one more try but I'm quite sure yet.
- Not a professionally run restaurantSuburbaniteVIPDined on 9/26/2014There for a birthday so they sat us in the area for "big groups" and it was incredibly noisy. We were only five people so asked to move to an outside table (fourtop). Manager came up wtih the excuse that the plates were too big to fit five on a fourtop. Then the salad entrees came with absolutely NO dressing on them, they forgot a side dish, the mash potatos were ice cold, the mahi-mahi tasted like carboard, they failed to fill up water, and we could not get the waitstaff's attention for a full ten minutes. Then they brought the bill without ever bringing the "complimentary" birthday cake. Would like to forget this disaster of a restaurant as soon as possible.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014we were very impress with service as well as the food. we hardly had time to enjoy astmosphere when our food arrived we would definitly return and recommend to others.Special Features:
- PleasedFoodGuruVIPDined on 9/22/2014This review is based upon The French Dip. It's probably the best I've ever had - no kidding. The fries were perfect. Can't say much more - except, unfortunately the salads were disappointing. Not very interesting, way over dressed, really tasteless, including the roasted chicken, which was disappointing. But do do there for the French Dip it's huge too.
- Great brunchEdske61Dined on 9/21/2014We went to the ST for our first Sunday brunch...took my wife and my in laws and we were all very satisfied with the experience. The food was great and plentiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014My girlfriends and I came to the Stanford Grill for a birthday celebration. We made a reservation and was seated immediately up on arrival. Everything from the atmosphere to the food was PERFECT. A must try for all is the banana pudding....... I will never eat that anywhere else it was heavenly!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely place; food was only fairColumbiaMDneighborDined on 9/20/2014We were four diners, with a reservation, yet seated at a small table next to the rotisserie chicken. Our first lesson quickly learned was that we should have insisted on a booth. Our second lesson learned was to never order the steak salad again since it arrived looking and tasting like it was made a day ahead with limp lettuce and tasteless asian pears. Thankfully we enjoyed our group conversation as it was the highlight of a costly and disappointingly overrated meal.
- Consistently GoodUltracsicVIPDined on 9/18/2014The live jazz adds to the dining experience at Stanford. The food is always good and usually comes promptly, so you can enjoy a good meal and get out in a reasonable time. They are well known for the rotisserie chicken, but they normally have a few specials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsDRWSDined on 9/14/2014Stanford Grill never disappoints. Consistent taste, service and very nice atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great ServiceSmokeyDined on 9/13/2014As busy as the restaurant was, we had excellent service from our server. He was very knowledgeable and accommodating. The smoked salmon appetizer is really outstanding.Special Features:
- Consistantly ConsitantFitforfoodiesVIPDined on 9/13/2014Always a great experience. Very confident when bringing friends or business partners.Special Features:
- Great food and excellent service!D9569Dined on 9/12/2014The food is fantastic. Save room for dessert, it is large enough to share with many people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always excellentAnneBDined on 9/11/2014We travel to Maryland often to visit our grandchildren and we always dine at Stanford Grill when we are there...the food is outstanding and the service/staff is the best!Special Features:
- Ample food portions, great serviceFoodiebuffDined on 9/9/2014Great atmosphere! On our second trip, the food came out pretty quick but was cold! The service was great. I love the ambiance and will give them another chanceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUM!BethDined on 9/9/2014Our food was delicious, the portions huge. Our waitress, Ashley, was knowledgable, friendly, checked on us enough without being intrusive. It was a lovely evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoudBestDined on 9/6/2014very difficult to hear because background noise was at a high levelI would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceWaybrightswife13Dined on 9/6/2014We visited the Stanford grill based off of online reviews and recommendations. I was looking for a higher end dining experience to celebrate my wedding anniversary. When we arrived we were greeted and seated promptly. From the time we sat until the moment we left the service was impeccable. Our server was Sara. She was very knowledgable about the various wines offered and even chose our wine as we are not experienced coniseurs but wanted something extra to celebrate. The wine was wonderful. We went with the surf and turf option that they were offering which included a large steak, Maryland style crab cake, mashed potatoes and sautéed spinach. This was hands down one of the best meals I have ever eaten. It was a little spendy but so worth itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Standford Grille doesn't disappointOntheMarkDined on 9/6/2014Another great dinner with friends at the Stanford Grille - food was prepared impeccably, and the wine pairing superb. The one negative is the noise level within the restaurant. The sheet rock ceilings, wood paneling and glass reflect the noise, the addition of sound absorbing materials would enable the jazz music to permeate the restaurant and add to the atmosphere. The noise overpowers the music, unless you are standing the hostess station, you can't enjoy the music.Special Features:
- excellent food and serviceChristineDined on 9/6/2014We dined at Stanford Grill last Saturday to celebrate our 9th wedding anniversary. My husband had the filet and I ordered the salmon. Both of these dinners were delicious and the side dishes were also good. Our waitress was friendly and very attentive. We were so glad we chose to dine here for our anniversary!!Special Features:
- Consistently Great ExperienceBaltimoreSandTVIPDined on 9/5/2014Stanford Grill takes the best ingredients and prepares them simply and deliciously. Deserts are worth saving room for, but one feeds at least two people. It's a wonderful place for lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- Sorry I Didn't Discover EarliercawngfDined on 9/5/2014I've been living in Columbia MD for many years and can't figure out how this excellent restaurant escaped my notice until now. The service was impeccable. Everyone on the staff is efficient and affable. And the food was all delicious--the calamari was perfectly cooked and the sauce on my salmon raised it to a new level of enjoyment. Some of the desserts need to come with warnings--even four of us could not finish off the chocolate brownie sundae. And we did try. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WomanBizConnectWomanBizConnectDined on 9/3/2014I was conducted a business early dinner and the service was more than sufficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceFitforfoodiesVIPDined on 9/3/2014Was in with a family gathering of 8 and had a great experience. Short menu, but there is something for everyone. Service was solid as well.Special Features:
- Fantastic Food and ServiceChicoGordoLeEncantaComerDined on 8/31/2014The food and service was over the top. Very attentive and I especially like the waitstaff who catch eye contact with you and ask if you need anything, even if its not your waiter. That shows team effort among the staff. The food was very good and plentiful. Great atmosphere.Special Features:
- Tramill720Dined on 8/31/2014Large portions and sumptuous atmosphere. Quality of meat has declined somewhat recently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food as usualtyerDined on 8/30/2014As usual, the food and service was great. Everything I have eaten here has been really good. Would highly recommend. Sunday brunch is great as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- okpeasDined on 8/30/2014We have been to this restaurant multiple times. The first few times we thought the food was good. Lately, we're thinking its over priced for what is offered. The roasted chicken was good but not worth $20 as one can easily purchase a whole chicken for far less. Don't misunderstand, we dine out often and do not complain about the price of food if its good. When I looked at this bill in comparison to some of the places we dine, I would say this is not worth the cost. The restaurant has a very limited menu. the seating and décor is nice. We may go back at some point but not for a while.
- great service, food, and ambiancefoodfunDined on 8/29/2014Service was exceptional. Food was great as always. Definitely a place I plan to go back to again. The live music was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The standard has loweredKev1nVIPDined on 8/28/2014Stanford has been my favorite restaurant for almost 3 years. Inside the last 12 months I've noticed a steady decline in my enjoyable experiences here. I've noticed that a change in staff and perhaps a change in cooks has lead to less desirable experiences here. During my most recent visit my waiter seem completely uninterested in serving me and my party in favor of the table across from us who he visited several times to check up on. There have been unexplained changes to items on the menu. Regaining focus, our service was bad and the food was just okay. This is very well will be my last visit here. What was once a great restaurant with terrific service and terrific food is now a loud more upscale version of Fridays.Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationPabloDined on 8/27/2014The whole family went... from 5 to well, old enough to pay the bill. We were celebrating my son's 12th B-day and they made sure he got a complimentary piece of cake without the song (thank G). The food was excellent and plentiful. The wait staff was very attentive. The food was delivered quickly, almost too quickly but when you have kids that's a blessing. This wasn't our first time to Stanford and won't be our last. They are one of the best restaurants in the Columbia area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceFitforfoodiesVIPDined on 8/26/2014We had fantastic food served up by a great server. Will always go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Down gradedKokoBrown2Dined on 8/24/2014The food, and service has really down graded... I've been a frequent flyer of Standford's for many years. It began back in Portland, Oregon and I was delighted to discover Standford's in Columbia. This past visit, I ordered the veggie burger. Although, it came rather quickly my burger was black, and burnt tasting and my fries were cold and tasted like cardboard... disgusting. I had to send my meal back. In fact, the past two visits I've made my meal has had to be returned. My dinner quest wasn't totally satisfied with his surf and turf, but was too hungry to send back and wait for another meal. The server did her best, but she couldn't be held responsible for the preparation of our meals. However, her level of service went down after that.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014We come to the Stanford Grill 3-4 times a year usually on special ocasions. The food has never disappointed us. I usually get a fillet but this time I tried the St. Louis ribs. they were the best ribs I have ever had. I lived in KC and close to St. Louis for a while and these were still the best I have ever had. The key lime pie is better than any I had in Miami. The chocolate uprising with the homemade carmel sauce is so good that our kids act like lions on a fresh kill when we take what little is left home to them. Will continue to return.Special Features:
- felt ignoredOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/23/2014Server spent a lot of time socializing with table of 2 across from us.They shared 1 meal, we had drinks appetizers,3 dinners,our bill/tip greater. We asked to hear about dessert and she brought check, then returned to socializing with table across from us again! Gave up on dessert and had to grab someone else to run credit card! Patrons since opened,never had this horrible service before and we come several times a month, I'll be rethinking returning.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Expectations MeetOntheMarkDined on 8/22/2014Outstanding dinner service, food was flavorful and fresh. Portions were hearty. Look forward to returning to sample more of the menu.Special Features:
- The Last SupperExperienceItAllDined on 8/22/2014Every year my wife and I take our kids out for one last great meal before the start of school. This year was extra special, as one was heading to his first year of college and the other to her first year of high school. I made the reservation on OpenTable. It was my first time using the service, and it was quick and easy. The Stanford Grill was very busy when we arrived; however, we were seated immediately. Our server was prompt and attentive. She made excellent course suggestions and was very accommodating. My wife and kids loved their meals. I ordered the rotisserie chicken (a house specialty). It was tasty if a little dry (especially the white meat). The Stanford Grill is pricey but worth it. We had a great evening. Couldn't ask for moreSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-soCarnivoreDined on 8/22/2014Read great reviews so had high hopes. The food was just okay and for the price, it should have been awesome. My steak tasted of gas and was barely seasoned. So don't go for steak. I guess because they're "known" for their chicken, that's what you should stick to.Special Features:
- Burger nightDandADined on 8/18/2014For our recent visit, we were in search of a good burger. Totally enjoyed the huge, delicious burgers!! Fried calamari was also tasty but arrived quickly after ordering and even before our drinks. Food does not disappoint, consistent service and appreciate that it is close to home.Special Features:
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/17/2014We come to the Stanford grill 3-4 times a year for special occasions. Most recently we celebrated our wedding anniversary. The food is always delicious and the wait staff is very attentive. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.