8900 Stanford Boulevard
Columbia, MD 21045Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thestanfordgrill.com/
- Phone: 410-312-0445x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:05pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:05pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Anthony Peake
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout
- Entertainment: Live Jazz Nightly
A word from Stanford Grill
With a unique focus on creating an inviting upscale dining experience, we serve fresh, familiar food in a high-energy, sophisticated casual setting. Our chefs prepare full-flavored food from scratch daily, using fresh seasonal ingredients. We stay true to classic American comfort food that is simple, but deliciously prepared. A knowledgeable team approach provides unwavering attention to delighting our guests with warm and consistent service. Stanford Grill's timeless atmosphere appeals to discerning adults who are seeking a dining experience that is energetic, upscale but approachable.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Stanford Grill - Best Restaurants in Columbia ›
Stanford Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
346 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (206)good for groups (133)neighborhood gem (133)romantic (132)fit for foodies (130)great for lunch (95)great for outdoor dining (80)great for brunch (68)notable wine list (63)hot spot (51)vibrant bar scene (48)late-night find (22)scenic view (19)kid-friendly (17)Show More
- Great food and excellent service!D9569Dined on 9/12/2014The food is fantastic. Save room for dessert, it is large enough to share with many people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always excellentAnneBDined on 9/11/2014We travel to Maryland often to visit our grandchildren and we always dine at Stanford Grill when we are there...the food is outstanding and the service/staff is the best!Special Features:
- Ample food portions, great serviceFoodiebuffDined on 9/9/2014Great atmosphere! On our second trip, the food came out pretty quick but was cold! The service was great. I love the ambiance and will give them another chanceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUM!BethDined on 9/9/2014Our food was delicious, the portions huge. Our waitress, Ashley, was knowledgable, friendly, checked on us enough without being intrusive. It was a lovely evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoudBestDined on 9/6/2014very difficult to hear because background noise was at a high levelI would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceWaybrightswife13Dined on 9/6/2014We visited the Stanford grill based off of online reviews and recommendations. I was looking for a higher end dining experience to celebrate my wedding anniversary. When we arrived we were greeted and seated promptly. From the time we sat until the moment we left the service was impeccable. Our server was Sara. She was very knowledgable about the various wines offered and even chose our wine as we are not experienced coniseurs but wanted something extra to celebrate. The wine was wonderful. We went with the surf and turf option that they were offering which included a large steak, Maryland style crab cake, mashed potatoes and sautéed spinach. This was hands down one of the best meals I have ever eaten. It was a little spendy but so worth itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Standford Grille doesn't disappointOntheMarkDined on 9/6/2014Another great dinner with friends at the Stanford Grille - food was prepared impeccably, and the wine pairing superb. The one negative is the noise level within the restaurant. The sheet rock ceilings, wood paneling and glass reflect the noise, the addition of sound absorbing materials would enable the jazz music to permeate the restaurant and add to the atmosphere. The noise overpowers the music, unless you are standing the hostess station, you can't enjoy the music.Special Features:
- excellent food and serviceChristineDined on 9/6/2014We dined at Stanford Grill last Saturday to celebrate our 9th wedding anniversary. My husband had the filet and I ordered the salmon. Both of these dinners were delicious and the side dishes were also good. Our waitress was friendly and very attentive. We were so glad we chose to dine here for our anniversary!!Special Features:
- Consistently Great ExperienceBaltimoreSandTVIPDined on 9/5/2014Stanford Grill takes the best ingredients and prepares them simply and deliciously. Deserts are worth saving room for, but one feeds at least two people. It's a wonderful place for lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- Sorry I Didn't Discover EarliercawngfDined on 9/5/2014I've been living in Columbia MD for many years and can't figure out how this excellent restaurant escaped my notice until now. The service was impeccable. Everyone on the staff is efficient and affable. And the food was all delicious--the calamari was perfectly cooked and the sauce on my salmon raised it to a new level of enjoyment. Some of the desserts need to come with warnings--even four of us could not finish off the chocolate brownie sundae. And we did try. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WomanBizConnectWomanBizConnectDined on 9/3/2014I was conducted a business early dinner and the service was more than sufficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceFitforfoodiesVIPDined on 9/3/2014Was in with a family gathering of 8 and had a great experience. Short menu, but there is something for everyone. Service was solid as well.Special Features:
- Fantastic Food and ServiceChicoGordoLeEncantaComerDined on 8/31/2014The food and service was over the top. Very attentive and I especially like the waitstaff who catch eye contact with you and ask if you need anything, even if its not your waiter. That shows team effort among the staff. The food was very good and plentiful. Great atmosphere.Special Features:
- Tramill720Dined on 8/31/2014Large portions and sumptuous atmosphere. Quality of meat has declined somewhat recently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food as usualtyerDined on 8/30/2014As usual, the food and service was great. Everything I have eaten here has been really good. Would highly recommend. Sunday brunch is great as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- okpeasDined on 8/30/2014We have been to this restaurant multiple times. The first few times we thought the food was good. Lately, we're thinking its over priced for what is offered. The roasted chicken was good but not worth $20 as one can easily purchase a whole chicken for far less. Don't misunderstand, we dine out often and do not complain about the price of food if its good. When I looked at this bill in comparison to some of the places we dine, I would say this is not worth the cost. The restaurant has a very limited menu. the seating and décor is nice. We may go back at some point but not for a while.
- great service, food, and ambiancefoodfunDined on 8/29/2014Service was exceptional. Food was great as always. Definitely a place I plan to go back to again. The live music was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The standard has loweredKev1nVIPDined on 8/28/2014Stanford has been my favorite restaurant for almost 3 years. Inside the last 12 months I've noticed a steady decline in my enjoyable experiences here. I've noticed that a change in staff and perhaps a change in cooks has lead to less desirable experiences here. During my most recent visit my waiter seem completely uninterested in serving me and my party in favor of the table across from us who he visited several times to check up on. There have been unexplained changes to items on the menu. Regaining focus, our service was bad and the food was just okay. This is very well will be my last visit here. What was once a great restaurant with terrific service and terrific food is now a loud more upscale version of Fridays.Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationPabloDined on 8/27/2014The whole family went... from 5 to well, old enough to pay the bill. We were celebrating my son's 12th B-day and they made sure he got a complimentary piece of cake without the song (thank G). The food was excellent and plentiful. The wait staff was very attentive. The food was delivered quickly, almost too quickly but when you have kids that's a blessing. This wasn't our first time to Stanford and won't be our last. They are one of the best restaurants in the Columbia area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceFitforfoodiesVIPDined on 8/26/2014We had fantastic food served up by a great server. Will always go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Down gradedKokoBrown2Dined on 8/24/2014The food, and service has really down graded... I've been a frequent flyer of Standford's for many years. It began back in Portland, Oregon and I was delighted to discover Standford's in Columbia. This past visit, I ordered the veggie burger. Although, it came rather quickly my burger was black, and burnt tasting and my fries were cold and tasted like cardboard... disgusting. I had to send my meal back. In fact, the past two visits I've made my meal has had to be returned. My dinner quest wasn't totally satisfied with his surf and turf, but was too hungry to send back and wait for another meal. The server did her best, but she couldn't be held responsible for the preparation of our meals. However, her level of service went down after that.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014We come to the Stanford Grill 3-4 times a year usually on special ocasions. The food has never disappointed us. I usually get a fillet but this time I tried the St. Louis ribs. they were the best ribs I have ever had. I lived in KC and close to St. Louis for a while and these were still the best I have ever had. The key lime pie is better than any I had in Miami. The chocolate uprising with the homemade carmel sauce is so good that our kids act like lions on a fresh kill when we take what little is left home to them. Will continue to return.Special Features:
- felt ignoredOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/23/2014Server spent a lot of time socializing with table of 2 across from us.They shared 1 meal, we had drinks appetizers,3 dinners,our bill/tip greater. We asked to hear about dessert and she brought check, then returned to socializing with table across from us again! Gave up on dessert and had to grab someone else to run credit card! Patrons since opened,never had this horrible service before and we come several times a month, I'll be rethinking returning.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Expectations MeetOntheMarkDined on 8/22/2014Outstanding dinner service, food was flavorful and fresh. Portions were hearty. Look forward to returning to sample more of the menu.Special Features:
- The Last SupperExperienceItAllDined on 8/22/2014Every year my wife and I take our kids out for one last great meal before the start of school. This year was extra special, as one was heading to his first year of college and the other to her first year of high school. I made the reservation on OpenTable. It was my first time using the service, and it was quick and easy. The Stanford Grill was very busy when we arrived; however, we were seated immediately. Our server was prompt and attentive. She made excellent course suggestions and was very accommodating. My wife and kids loved their meals. I ordered the rotisserie chicken (a house specialty). It was tasty if a little dry (especially the white meat). The Stanford Grill is pricey but worth it. We had a great evening. Couldn't ask for moreSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-soCarnivoreDined on 8/22/2014Read great reviews so had high hopes. The food was just okay and for the price, it should have been awesome. My steak tasted of gas and was barely seasoned. So don't go for steak. I guess because they're "known" for their chicken, that's what you should stick to.Special Features:
- Burger nightDandADined on 8/18/2014For our recent visit, we were in search of a good burger. Totally enjoyed the huge, delicious burgers!! Fried calamari was also tasty but arrived quickly after ordering and even before our drinks. Food does not disappoint, consistent service and appreciate that it is close to home.Special Features:
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/17/2014We come to the Stanford grill 3-4 times a year for special occasions. Most recently we celebrated our wedding anniversary. The food is always delicious and the wait staff is very attentive. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice anniversary dinner.ModeeDined on 8/16/2014Me and my wife recently celebrated our anniversary at Stanford. I had requested a few special arrangements (booth, flowers on table through Open Table) and both requests were met. Both the greeting and wait staff were aware of our anniversary and made note of it appropriately. The food and the service were both excellent, and our waitress was very nice and particularly attentive. The three-piece jazz combo is appropriately understated and unobtrusive, but provides a nice background musical touch. It was an enjoyable evening, in no small part due to the staff at Stanford.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EdwinOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/16/2014I highly recommend this restaurant. I've been here several times and have yet to come away unimpressed. The food is great and the service is top notch. Great place to take a date if you want to make a good first impression. Parking can be challenging on weekends but definitely worth the effort.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good lunchElsieCAVIPDined on 8/16/2014We had lunch there on a visit to Columbia. The fish tacos were excellent as was the Ahi tuna salad. The menu had a lot of appealing dishes.Special Features:
- My husbands birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014I chose your resteraunt because we enjoy it very time we dine and that is why I chose it for my husband's birthday. Well, his steak (the one featured) was over cooked, taken back, then it was rare! My husband ordered a medium well steak. I ordered a salmon and it was a bit dry. Our service was okay. Les, was very disappointed with the chef and did not make his birthday memories a positive one. We truly feel the chef is the one to blame. He/She should have taken proper precautions to make sure the second stake was prepared correctly. I use a temperature gauge when I cook to reguate how people want their food prepared. Possibly your chef should do the same. We will be there again on the 23rd and hope our experience is what we are used to.Special Features:
- Always greatImapolygirlVIPDined on 8/15/2014We have been dining at Stanford Grill for a couple of years, and we have never had a bad meal. The food is consistently excellent and inventive. If you are on a budget, the burgers and chicken are truly delicious. Everything cooked over the wood fire is wonderful, whether fish or beef. If you can afford to spend more, the steaks are worth the price. The wait staff knows the menu and knowledgeably answer questions. They are also efficient, friendly, even charming. There is a jazz trio playing in the bar that is wonderful, even as background music in the dining room. Wine and beer lists do not disappoint.Special Features:
- Dinner At Standford GrillCatsDined on 8/14/2014My husband and I had first experience last week. We made reservations for a Thursday night. The service was very good and we enjoyed the food. A little pricey but the portions are large. My only negatives are that it was so busy all the staff seemed to be racing all the time and the noise level was LOUD. Not for a romantic evening but fine if you are looking for really attentive service and interesting food.Special Features:
- Solid Lunch ExperienceFitforfoodiesVIPDined on 8/13/2014Great food and smooth service really made my lunch experience an enjoyable one.Special Features:
- franDined on 8/11/2014I think it is a wonderful place for lunch with the girls and dinner out with your significant other. Food and service is outsatnding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A764337Dined on 8/10/2014Great atmosphere and yummy food. The food is very flavorable and has that "made from scratch" taste; overall, nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great Service'!!!StarDined on 8/9/2014Always a superb dining experience. But wish this spot could get better about honoring reservation special requests.Special Features:
- First Time For DinnerMickeyGDined on 8/9/2014Had lunch once before at the Stanford and it was very good. Went back several months later for dinner. Even though it was a Saturday night and very busy we were seated exactly on the time of our reservation. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The food is great and the portion size was more than adequate for us. A great place to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Good FindgingerDined on 8/8/2014The location is tucked away but worth the search. Good, plentiful food, great service and a vibrant--but not loud--atmosphere.Special Features: