1717 McKinney Ave.
Dallas, TX 75201Neighborhood:
SouthwestPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.stampede66.com/
- Phone: 2145506966
- Hours of Operation:
Monday through Saturday dinner service from 6 till 11PM.
Happy Hour starts from 4PM till 6PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southwest, Creole / Cajun / Southern, Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Jon Thompson
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full off site catering for party sizes ranging from 10-1000.
- Private Party Facilities: Warm rustic private dining room with 70" big screen that seats 32. The room is equipped with modern AV, compatible with PC and most presentation tools, and live window directly into the kitchen.
- Private Party Contact: Linda Mazzei 2145506966
- Entertainment: Texas Country Music
A word from Stampede 66
The latest restaurant from Beard Award-Winning Celebrity Chef Stephan Pyles. A true homage to the Lone Star State and his humble roots, this restaurant brings together Pyles’ stylish interpretations of his favorite Texas foods and a setting that puts contemporary updates on traditional ranch motifs. Chef Pyles introduces Modern Texas Cuisine to Dallas, Texas in this state of the art facility.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Stampede 66 - Best Restaurants in Uptown ›
Stampede 66 reviews from OpenTable diners
287 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (142)good for groups (119)special occasion (112)hot spot (98)great for lunch (55)vibrant bar scene (46)neighborhood gem (43)romantic (35)notable wine list (32)great for brunch (16)late-night find (16)kid-friendly (14)scenic view (9)Show More
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/26/2014We chose Stampede 66 after googling, "Best places in Dallas to dine", which took me to another website "Most interesting places in Dallas to Dine". Stampede was #6 on the list and the first place on the list that took reservations. We enjoyed our dinner, the food was great. 2 small tidbits: 1) I loved the "Texas quotes" and theme on the big screens, however, the music when we sat down was Crosby, Stills and Nash and the next music was Aerosmith. CSN is a Canadian, a Brit and a Californian and Aerosmith is Boston. Not much Texas in any of them! 2) On our reservation, I noted it was our anniversary. No one noticed or mentioned it, which I also thought was odd. Again, not a deal breaker but most places love knowing that information.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/25/2014Another Stephen Pyles well conceived gem, great theme that is carried out throughout the cuisine and the entire space.Special Features:
- country meets metropolitanOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/24/2014Stampede 66 is the upgraded version of southern food. It provides Mexican cuisine combined with Southern cuisine. All over the vibe of restaurant is being at a ranch listening to country music and eating great food. I would recommend the restuarant to someone who wants to get Texas style food. Since everything is big in Texas, so are the dishes. I'm absolutely in love with the table side margarita. The presentation is done with dry ice and great silver tequila. I had the fry chicken with green beans and potatoes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Service was not what I expect from a high end restaurant. The waiter seemed unsure of himself and not very helpful. The waiter's assistant must have been in training. We went specifically for Sunday Super, which they were not having because of restaurant week and that was not said until we got to the restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwbgDined on 8/24/2014It just keeps getting better every Sunday night. You should try it and make a habit of it. Music,food and staff will keep you coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food at good priceslove2dineDined on 8/23/2014Really good upscale comfort food at reasonable prices. No parking but valet is free and easy.Special Features:
- special occasion mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Went here for my daughters 21st birthday. We had heard it was a neat place for special occasions. The service was great. They even got us seated earlier than our reservations time. The margaritas made tableside had no taste what so ever. The food was terrible so obviously very overpriced.Special Features:
- StampedeJGPluv2dineDined on 8/23/2014The good was good, but not great, though the service was great. The appetizer and dessert was outstanding and may be it was my choice of entree that was disappointing. It is a very limited menu.The wine selection was very nice. It is a bit noisy and would be a great place to hang out with a large group of peopleSpecial Features:
- Food was average, prices highTexasEx91VIPDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I went with another couple for restaurant week. I decided to order off the regular menu rather than the set menu. Known for their fried chicken, had to give it a go. I could tell the chicken was top notch. Thought the batter was good, but did not like a glaze they put on it. No mention of the glaze or the spiciness on the menu. Came with two 'tater tots' that I found lacked flavor. Also came with two biscuits. Hearty meal, but for $21 expected much more. I tasted a little bit of everything at my table and thought there was a unique twist to every dish. However, even the $45 for restaurant week seemed high. I rarely say anything about price, but I did feel this meal was not worth what we spent.
- DisappointedSteveVIPDined on 8/23/2014This was our second time at Stampede 66. First time was fantastic however this time we were disappointed. The food was mediocre, margaritas awful, and restaurant was extremely noisy.
- Terrible ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/21/2014Server was poorly trained, food blasé and the staff began breaking down tables in the area we were sitting (it was barely 9PM) maybe all of this due to restaurant week? The four of us will NEVER go back!
- Not Impressedfatkid01Dined on 8/20/2014The Hells eggs were good. Did not enjoy the food at all. The Honey Chicken was funky tasting, there was no sweet tea in a Texas themed restaraunt, being a Texas Native this was definitely NOT Texas food. Fail.
- Worth TryingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/20/2014Trendy, but unusual food with a definite unique SW Texas twist. Really worth trying, but slightly pricy, and the appetizer portions are way too small (eg: the breads).Special Features:
- First Time DinerFoodManDined on 8/20/2014Overall, experience was average. Was seated in a booth under a speaker. The music was too loud. Couldn't hear the waiter describe the daily specials and difficult to converse with lunchmate. Lunch portions smaller than expected. Butterscotch pudding was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun, Unique, pure TexasRleggsDined on 8/19/2014Ambience is main reason to come here. Avant garde meets the Big D in Texas. Interesting art, great lighting. Food is high end comfort food worthy of trying. I wouldn't do the house special table prepared Margharitas again b/c while fun to watch being made, are just to sugary/juiced for my taste. Everyone enjoyed their entrees but don't go if you are a foodie needing your fix. Limited menu, fried, heavier foods.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarkDined on 8/19/2014Great place to bring out of town guests. Food and service very dependable and enjoy the ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambience, creative foodWarthogDined on 8/19/2014From the second you step into Stampede 66, it's obvious that you've found a genuine gem. It's very genuine, and a little different - but in a good way. The food was very good, and creative compared to the usual fare. The pickled serranos went very well with their corn bread for a starter, and the chicken fried steak was excellent. The service was great, very quick, and very efficient. I will definitely go back for lunch and definitely will try it for dinner as well.Special Features:
- 7th Wedding AnniversarydericfulbrightDined on 8/18/2014Great experience! Food was amazing, wait staff was attentive, but plesantly invisible. Food was amazing as usual - PLEASE put pork belly on the regular menu!! It was divine! Our new favorite place! One recommendation: more salads!! You guys are amazingly create - I'd love to see more creative salad offerings!Special Features:
- DanyVIPDined on 8/18/2014This is our third time. Went right after Stephen Pyle initially opened Stampede. Very disappointing this trip. Food was average at best, shrimp and grits bland, chicken tamale dry, chicken pretty good. Wait staff was less than attentive. Will not go back. Fell really fast.Special Features:
- GR8foodGR8wineVIPDined on 8/18/2014Fun, Texas kitsch; Doesn't seem very 'Dallas' but visitors from out of town may enjoy it. For a high-end, celebrity chef restaurant, the food was disappointing - especially compared to his other restaurants.
- Restaurant Week MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014Overall everything was great. I just feel that the price was a little high for the Restaurant Week menu. I could have gone al a carte and had more of a variety at a better price. Again, overall great and will continue to recommend it to The Joule's hotel guests I speak to. Keep up the great work!! Daniel de la CorteSpecial Features:
- Always an Interesting MenuJennMcTXDined on 8/17/2014Re-visited Stampede 66 for Restaurant Week. While I was sorely tempted by the signature fried chicken on the regular menu, I stuck to the Restaurant Week menu & was not disappointed. They had a version of the fried chicken, but sans tots. The menu is big enough that there will be something for everyone, and it's all good. 4 diners at my table, a little overlap with menu choices, but all walked away very satisfied.Special Features:
- Stephen Pyles is a Texas TreasureNashDined on 8/16/2014Stephen Pyles has used Stampede 66 to flex his Texas pride & show off comfort food elevated to a lofty level. The huge portions and complex flavors have me lauding this Texas raised chef once again. While his namesake restaurant shows off his forward thinking, sophistication Stampede 66 celebrates his roots. Other than the table where we were seated (which was a banquette right by the server's station and cut off any line of sight into the restaurant) our evening was great from our specialty Tequila drinks to the smooth Chicken Liver Mousse with Jalapeno Jelly and Peach Salsa (YUM!) to the blue ribbon fried chicken with spicy gravy, sweetened green beans and cheese laden au gratin potatoes it was home cooking like Mother should have made.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014We were just very disappointed in the food. Appetizer and bread portions were very small. The beer bread was very heavy and dense. The deviled eggs, nothing special. The entrees were in small portions and again, nothing special - bland green beans.
- Great Service/Great FoodAliceDined on 8/16/2014We went for Restaurant Week having never been and we had a great time. I got the Fried Chicken and my husband got the Shrimp Etoufee. The chicken was great!! We definitely will be back to try the rest of the menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rated T for TexasdanielwayneandrewsDined on 8/15/2014Appropriately themed with interior design and re-interpreted local dishes. I had the chicken fried steak with some of the hottest pickled habeneras I have ever tasted. You must try the deviled eggs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulfoodieinsuburbiaDined on 8/15/2014Another Pyles hit. Ate the best fried chicken ever! The whole menu was great and our party was disappointed in nothing. Definite repeat place.Special Features:
- DissapointedRestaurantWeek2014Dined on 8/14/2014Kitchen and bar service were very slow. Spent 2-1/2 hours for a one course meal for some and a three course meal for others. Husband had to return biscuits served with Honey Fried Chicken because they were rock hard. Best dish ordered at the table was the Buffalo Chicken Fried Steak. Not worth the amount of money we spent. Good thing part of it is going to support a non-profit. Won't be back.Special Features:
- Great FindEngteachDined on 8/14/2014Great food, great service and a great experience. Restaurant for young, old & families.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingKeslovesfoodDined on 8/14/2014Everything was amazing! Service was just about the best I've seen in the city. Food was delicious, everything from start to finish. I was also most impressed with the table side margaritasSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- stampede 66deelicious11VIPDined on 8/13/2014great for apps and drinks! I had been wanting to try this place for a while and I went with girlfriends during restaurant week. It was yummy but if I go again, I will just go to begin my night. Overall great environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food 5, service 2IkatDined on 8/11/2014Dined here Monday night for restaurant week. We had a three course meal and it took 2 1/2 hours; almost an hour between the first and second courses. Food was great but they need to improve the time it takes to serve it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited MenuRC365Dined on 8/11/2014Food is good, not great. Munu is VERY limited. Probably will not return.Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekRichardDined on 8/11/2014Marvelous food. Pork belly tacos were awesome. Could have made a whole meal of these. Chicken fried chicken with chorizzo gravy and scallop potatoes was even great the next day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent; reliable; a go-to spot!KenWDined on 8/11/2014It's hard to do combine excellence with quirky but Stampede 66 pulls it off. A unique style of cuisine in a charming and unusual atmosphere. And did I mention the great service?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014Waiter was very informative. The hells eggs were wonderful and the chicken was outstanding. Everything turned out great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wild Wild WestWildWildWestDined on 8/9/2014The waitstaff was very knowledgeable! The food was ok. The western theme did not appeal to me.Special Features:
- No DisappointmentsChuckDined on 8/5/2014This was our second time to dine at Stampede 66...we did the Sunday Supper earlier and returned for dinner with friends on a Tuesday evening. Everything was excellent and we will return. We missed the Stampede Smash that had been featured at the bar on our earlier visit and hope that it will be back on the bar menu soon.Special Features:
- Nice decor. Good food. Hard sell.MichaelTXDined on 8/5/2014I had been wanting to try this restaurant since it opened, but I always ended up in the Arts District on Sundays when they were closed. Was there on a Tuesday night and our waiter was determined to upsell the menu and have us each get a $14 cocktail and several appetizers before our entrees. We had one hour before curtain time in the Arts District. The buffalo chicken fried steak was good, but not awesome. The buffalo was sliced very, very thin, so maybe 2 oz. in the entire entree. The mashed potatoes were just normal and sat in a shallow bowl of chorizo chili. My dining companion had the honey fried chicken which they are apparently known for. It was good, but we have both had equally good fried chicken for less than $21.
- Upsale BBQOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/4/2014If there is such a thing in Texas. Excellent everything. Great space, excellent service, excellent food and libations. Had the buffalo fried steak and brisket. Both were sublime and worth coming back. My new favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.