1717 McKinney Ave.
Dallas, TX 75201Neighborhood:
SouthwestPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.stampede66.com/
- Phone: (214) 550-6966
- Hours of Operation:
Monday through Saturday dinner service from 6 till 11PM.
Happy Hour starts from 4PM till 6PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southwest, Creole / Cajun / Southern, Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Tommy Simpson
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full off site catering for party sizes ranging from 10-1000.
- Private Party Facilities: Warm rustic private dining room with 70" big screen that seats 32. The room is equipped with modern AV, compatible with PC and most presentation tools, and live window directly into the kitchen.
- Private Party Contact: Shawn Horne 214-550-6966x
- Entertainment: Texas Country Music
A word from Stampede 66
The latest restaurant from Beard Award-Winning Celebrity Chef Stephan Pyles. A true homage to the Lone Star State and his humble roots, this restaurant brings together Pyles’ stylish interpretations of his favorite Texas foods and a setting that puts contemporary updates on traditional ranch motifs. Chef Pyles introduces Modern Texas Cuisine to Dallas, Texas in this state of the art facility.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Stampede 66 reviews from OpenTable diners
227 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (125)good for groups (98)special occasion (92)hot spot (90)vibrant bar scene (48)neighborhood gem (45)great for lunch (45)romantic (19)notable wine list (16)late-night find (12)great for brunch (11)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (5)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- stampede 66 dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014Stampede 66 was amazing, it was my first time there and went with some friends, we are around 20 years old. our waiter (Patrick) was extremely polite and just overall an amazing waiter he definitely was a big reason of our dining experience being a great one. I will definitely be back to stampede 66 and sit in his section.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique place with great food.DawsonDined on 11/19/2014Had wanted to try this place for over a year, but it was always booked on the weekends when we were free to go. The atmosphere is fantastic very much a taste of Texas. Would be a great place to bring people visiting from out of state. The menu isn't huge, but every dish has a Texas flair with many Tex Mex items. Very reasonably priced with most meals between $12 and $20. $4 Tacos were a great appetizer. Would definatly go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud and GrittyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/16/2014Four ladies on a Sunday evening. On reservation asked for quietest table. The live trio was so loud we had to yell at each other. When we asked to be moved to a quieter location they very graciously opened their private event room and moved us there so we were all very impressed with such accommodating service. However, my salad was so full of grit that I still get shivers when I think of biting down on the lettuce. Wonderful buttermilk biscuits and blueberry/thyme jam.
- Taste of TexasRSG1Dined on 11/14/2014We went to Stampede 66 for the first time with friends after eating at several of his other restaurants. The atmosphere was very much Texas and very cleverly done. The food was very good. We all had the tacos for an appetizer with a nice bottle of Malbec and they were excellent. Our party enjoyed the snapper, the chicken fried buffalo and the quail. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Place Before the ShowJelvisDined on 11/13/2014Stampede 66 never disappoints ... My wife and I regularly come downtown for a show and our favorite place to eat before a performance is Stephen Pyle's gem. We can always depend on the attentive staff to ensure we make curtain and the food and drinks are consistently the perfect start for a spectacular evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- attitude definedrobertVIPDined on 11/13/2014Stephen Pyle's staff at Stampede 66 has breathed new life into the concept of customer service & dining experience. Been several times & enjoyed each, but Thursday night was extraodinary! Had a party of 5 with 2 out-of-towners. Seated immediately at our reservation time and the table wasn't a fit for us. Maitre D' gets manager & we're moved & were treated royaly. Instead of staff having an attitude toward a special request, they treated us better than ever. Food & drink taste better with service and attitude like that! Staff rocked this one Stephen!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/10/2014The food is fresh and innovative. We had the shrimp taquitos and the oyster tacos. Both were delicious. The Modern Star Canyon Margarita is great! Fun and friendly placeSpecial Features:
- Poor Service Kills great foodsphamilDined on 11/9/20144 of us came to celebrate and the waiter ruined the event. Food was great but waiter terrible and condescending. I didn't expect Pyles level service but I have had better service at Chuy'sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/9/2014The Margarita performance was OK to watch, but the result was what I considered undrinkable unless you were a kid who ordered a Shirley Temple. We were Sunday night family style diners and enjoyed the succession of foods. Unfortunately, we were not as impressed as we expected to be. The video was a nice touch as we had California visitors.Special Features:
- Great food and service!Jem06dVIPDined on 11/8/2014All the food our group had was delicious! Tacos are a great value. Duck and gouda gorditas were very different and amazing. Butterscotch pudding was out of this world. Hostesses very welcoming and servers very attentive. Would definitely go back!Special Features:
- Modern Texas Food = bad foodcat22Dined on 11/7/2014This menu was so poor, that once we sat down to view it, it was too late to then get up and leave because none of us wanted anything from it. The waitress recommended the best thing on the menu, which was twice fried chicken injected with honey.....erhhmm what??? Being from the UK, I want to run 10 miles before I ordered that! One of our guests did order this and his comment was "to indulge in that high calorie food, you want to think it was worth it...it was not!" The restaurant says so big or go home, we thought we ordered big but we went home hungry! Would never go back to eat there, maybe for a cocktail.Special Features:
- Fried Chicken the bestMikeDined on 11/6/2014The honey fried chicken is he best ever. The blueberry cobbler with vanilla ice cream topped off dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visitors from Out - of - TownJKingDined on 11/6/2014I had a lunch group that included business associates from Elgin, IL, that met us directly from the airport. They were excited by the décor and then when my chiles rellenos arrived, were excited by the presentation. It is a hit for locals and visitors alike!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/3/2014I really wanted to completely enjoy the experience. Most of the food was good. Our waiter, though nice, was very slow and forgetful. The appetizer didn't come out until after the main course. The drinks were slow to come. When we were about to pay for our check, we were informed that they do not accept Visa gift cards or any gift cards other than their own. Very inconvenient for us.Special Features:
- Took out of town visitorsDadwithteenagersVIPDined on 10/29/2014We took visiting relatives from Kentucky here on Wednesday night. The table side dry ice prepared margarita was entertaining and delicious and very Halloween looking as the dry ice flowed over the mixing bowl. We shared the large portion of honey fried chicken and brisket. The fish specials were also outstanding. The popover bread and beer can bread were also delicious. We finished dinner with sharing butter scotch dessert and the gooey brownie and Dr. Pepper float both yummy.Special Features:
- Cool place/food not so greatCurlyDined on 10/25/2014Cool atmosphere- that is the best part- brisket was really dry and tough and not recommended- great tamales and appetizers and the butterscotch pudding is delicious-Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!Ruthie826Dined on 10/24/2014After looking at the menu online my husband and I were skeptical. My adult daughter had chosen this as her birthday dinner destination. Our server explained the menu well and suddenly it all made sense. We were a group of seven but it never seemed that way. Everything was served correctly and enjoyed by everyone. Whatever you do, save room for dessert. We all had different things and we all loved them!Special Features:
- Great option for business or funJenaCassVIPDined on 10/23/2014Stephan Pyles captured Texas in a restaurant! Lots of options from beef to pork to fish. Skirt steak and tacos are winners. If you eat pork, you'll be in pig heaven since it's somehow incorporated in 75% of the menu items in the form of ears, skins, bellies. You can even find the Canyon Ranch frozen margarita on the cocktail offering. It made a great dessert option.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingTXgirlDined on 10/23/2014I was so excited to finally try Stampede 66, but the food was very disappointing. Not only did the food lack flavor, but everything was lukewarm! We started off with the Shiner beer bread, which was nothing special. We also got an order of the sweet potato wild boar tamales. The outside was warm, but two bites in, the tamales were cold. And the meat was very gamy. For our entrees, we ordered the honey fried chicken and the chicken fried buffalo -- both of which were strongly recommended by our waiter. The breading was too thick and heavy and fell apart in big chunks. The honey flavor on the fried chicken was subtle and aside from that, there was no flavor. The cobbler was good, but like everything else -- lukewarm. So disappointing
- Really goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/22/2014The food here is always great. We were at a table for six with low backed setees on the side and metal chairs on the end. The only negative was that the seating was not that comfortable. Service was great. Food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/20/2014Great service. Mediocre food. Crazy interior. Fun but not amazing.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceDallasDinerVIPDined on 10/12/2014My husband and I took two out of town guests to Sunday Supper. We had great service, enjoyed the band and the food was delicious. I like knowing the Sunday Supper menu changes weekly, and our guests loved the Texas inspired cuisine. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- Wonderful food, fun atmosphereTexasGirlDined on 10/11/2014The food and wait service was fantastic, lived up to all of the expectations.Special Features:
- Pyles is amazingEemia8616Dined on 10/10/2014An amazing resturant! The Hanger Steak and the chicken fried bison are hands down my favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stampede to Stampede 66goodstuffDined on 10/9/2014We have dined at Stampede 66 several times and have never been disappointed. The décor is so Texas-centric and manages to be fun and elegant at the same time. Romantic booths line one wall with "windows" above where movies of outdoor ranch scenes play, the quirky names of small Texas towns painted on wooden plaques adorn another, it is simply a great place to be. They make a killer tableside margarita and a perfect dry martini. The menu has something for everyone. I had delicious quail and hubby had fish tacos, also wonderful. The service is attentive but not bothersome. The biscuits are a meal in themselves. Can't say enough nice things about Stampede 66. We'll be back there soon!Special Features:
- Good but not great...StephenPylesFanDined on 10/8/2014Maybe we went into Stampede 66 with too high of expectations. The comfort food was good but not great. Maybe that's the food's fault or maybe that's the restaurant's fault. We enjoyed our meal but it just didn't feel like $200 worth of food when we walked out. We are huge Stephen Pyle fans and have enjoyed superior meals at Stephen Pyles as well as Star Canyon back in the day. We ordered all of the taco options for appetizers and really enjoyed all of them but again I have had some really good innovative tacos out of a food truck that I paid $3 for. We all ordered different entrees and all pretty much felt that the food was good but certainly not a dish I would be talking about the next day. Our server did do a nice job at our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphereLuvDallasDined on 10/8/2014We were in town for a conference and selected the restaurant based on the reviews on Open Table. It was so much fun! We had a great meal in a vibrant restaurant. Our server was very good, too. They had just released their new cocktail list. My friend loved the sangria and I loved the "Lasso".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent farewell meal to DallasDelectableDined on 10/6/2014This was a great choice restaurant for a group of us to say goodbye to someone leaving Dallas! It was memorable, it was out of the box as far as so many amazing food choices! Every bite was shared with the group. Highly recommend the honey fried chicken and the butterscotch pudding. Our server was amazing and took care of every detail at the table. This was my 4th time to stampede 66 and I always recommended it as a favorite. Thanks for making Dallas proud!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RecommendedMy66Dined on 10/5/2014Awesome service and the food is fantastic! The restaurant itself is beautiful and beautifully decorated in a tasteful Texas way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointingjif1VIPDined on 10/4/2014We waited 45 minutes for our first course to arrive. The only items we could recommend were the biscuits and dessert. Everything else was really mediocre. Not the first time we have eaten here but it will be the last.
- Pyles knows howOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/3/2014Stephen Pyles knows exactly how to do an upscale casual dining experience. The food is comforting with just the right amount of uniqueness. Our waiter was wonderful. He let us enjoy the experience and when things went a bit awry he absolutely made it up to us. Really great place to take out of town guests.Special Features:
- I'd Die Happy If 'Twas My Last MealSouthernCraverDined on 10/3/2014The food is absolutely heavenly, great spins on southern cuisine that bring the sophisticated and down-home aesthetic together in wonderful ways. The breads (cornbread, Shiner Bock), jams, pickles are all elegantly homey. The appetizers are individual stand-outs, especially crawfish beignets. Love the spin on chicken-fried steak. I visit once or twice a year when traveling from NYC and it's one of my "must hit" places! The surroundings, the ambiance, the decor, the music, the decor all evoke a childhood in the south with a sophisticated twist. Could not rave more about it! But I'd try! :)Special Features:
- Excellent!BrownieDined on 10/1/2014We really enjoyed this place! I definitely would return to try other menu items. I had the flat iron steak that was cooked to perfection! Service was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HorribleDalhearfDined on 9/29/2014I chose this restaurant to celebrate my five year anniversary with our company. We walked in the door and was greeted by a sour hostess, who looked at her watch causing us to look at ours. Our reservation was for noon and we entered at 11:50 am. Our server was confrontational (kept asking "what") when being spoken to. Our server was not helpful regarding the menu and she hovered over us, which did not give us the opportunity to simply talk amongst ourselves or to try and make the most of the eating the experience. Needless to say, this will be a memorable lunch for the wrong reasons. As the Administrative Professional for our office, I maintain a list of restaurants that are within walking to our downtown office. So disappointed.
- Honky Tonk ClicheRemyVIPDined on 9/28/2014This place looked like it was trying to duplicate a true Texas honky tonk. Tourists probably think this would be great as the restaurant tries to entertain with "Texas-looking stuff." Being from Texas, our expectations of the food were what we can eat elsewhere locally and at home. The fancy margarita was made strickly for show and not for taste. The potato salad was not only awful, it was warm. The brisket was good, but I can make better. The service on a Sunday night was slow. The best part of the restaurant was the live music.
- 34th Wedding AnniversarypookiespicksDined on 9/28/2014We picked Stampede 66 because we had heard of it'd legendary owner, Chef Stephan Pyles. Once we arrived our group of 9 was seated and we enjoyed the music of Dave Alexander. We then ordered dinner, "Sunday Supper" was available that evening. What a great combination of foods. It ALL was very tasty and the service was excellent. Then desert came, and surprise it said "Happy Anniversary!". Our meal and celebration were complete. We highly reccomend Stampede 66 to anyone. Celebrating Anything! It Was A Treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, as usual!CotanchaDined on 9/28/2014This is one of my favorite restaurant. The food is consistently excellent. Love the southwest ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic twist on Texas flavorsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2014Fun flavors, great twist on your favorite Texas flavors. Everything on the menu is worth ordering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Good At AllDallasdinerDined on 9/25/2014REALLY not worth the time or the money!! Between 4 of us we had; 3 entrees, 4 apps, and 2 desserts. The only good thing we ate was the seasonal berry cobbler. The other dessert, peach pie was uneatable. The crust was so hard you need a steak knife to cut into the darn thing and on top of the the peaches were hard as rocks. The main courses were bland & were not even on a par with diner food. My fried chicken was ok but I have had better fried chicken off of catering trucks. The Hells eggs were indeed hellish. If you have money to burn by all means eat here. Choices for excellent food in this city abound & for an out-of-towner to eat here thinking this is prime example of Dallas at its best? Lord have mercy, we are in big culinary trouble.
- Blanche31Dined on 9/24/2014Went for a lunch with a special friend. Ordered the Caesar salad plus shrimp and my guest ordered ceasar with chicken. Both salads were extremely average, yet very expensive. $19.00 and $18.00 respectively. There was no toast, crackers or anything extra provided. The server was difficult to understand and a back up person kept putting oversized plates on our table. We shared the butterscotch pudding and it was fabulous yet they insisted on putting two large plates in front us to use. Very strange. Also very confused over this tiny pot of water that was added to my iced tea. This has historically been one of my favorite spots due to the sheer look and vibe of the place. I probably won't go back.Special Features: