1717 McKinney Ave.
Dallas, TX 75201Neighborhood:
SouthwestPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.stampede66.com/
- Phone: 2145506966
- Hours of Operation:
Monday through Saturday dinner service from 6 till 11PM.
Happy Hour starts from 4PM till 6PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southwest, Creole / Cajun / Southern, Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Jon Thompson
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full off site catering for party sizes ranging from 10-1000.
- Private Party Facilities: Warm rustic private dining room with 70" big screen that seats 32. The room is equipped with modern AV, compatible with PC and most presentation tools, and live window directly into the kitchen.
- Private Party Contact: Linda Mazzei 2145506966
- Entertainment: Texas Country Music
A word from Stampede 66
The latest restaurant from Beard Award-Winning Celebrity Chef Stephan Pyles. A true homage to the Lone Star State and his humble roots, this restaurant brings together Pyles’ stylish interpretations of his favorite Texas foods and a setting that puts contemporary updates on traditional ranch motifs. Chef Pyles introduces Modern Texas Cuisine to Dallas, Texas in this state of the art facility.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Stampede 66 - Best Restaurants in Uptown ›
Stampede 66 reviews from OpenTable diners
270 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (143)special occasion (111)good for groups (106)hot spot (93)great for lunch (54)vibrant bar scene (40)neighborhood gem (38)romantic (36)notable wine list (28)late-night find (17)great for brunch (16)kid-friendly (12)scenic view (8)Show More
- 7th Wedding AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/18/2014Great experience! Food was amazing, wait staff was attentive, but plesantly invisible. Food was amazing as usual - PLEASE put pork belly on the regular menu!! It was divine! Our new favorite place! One recommendation: more salads!! You guys are amazingly create - I'd love to see more creative salad offerings!Special Features:
- Always an Interesting MenuJennMcTXDined on 8/17/2014Re-visited Stampede 66 for Restaurant Week. While I was sorely tempted by the signature fried chicken on the regular menu, I stuck to the Restaurant Week menu & was not disappointed. They had a version of the fried chicken, but sans tots. The menu is big enough that there will be something for everyone, and it's all good. 4 diners at my table, a little overlap with menu choices, but all walked away very satisfied.Special Features:
- Stephen Pyles is a Texas TreasureNashDined on 8/16/2014Stephen Pyles has used Stampede 66 to flex his Texas pride & show off comfort food elevated to a lofty level. The huge portions and complex flavors have me lauding this Texas raised chef once again. While his namesake restaurant shows off his forward thinking, sophistication Stampede 66 celebrates his roots. Other than the table where we were seated (which was a banquette right by the server's station and cut off any line of sight into the restaurant) our evening was great from our specialty Tequila drinks to the smooth Chicken Liver Mousse with Jalapeno Jelly and Peach Salsa (YUM!) to the blue ribbon fried chicken with spicy gravy, sweetened green beans and cheese laden au gratin potatoes it was home cooking like Mother should have made.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014We were just very disappointed in the food. Appetizer and bread portions were very small. The beer bread was very heavy and dense. The deviled eggs, nothing special. The entrees were in small portions and again, nothing special - bland green beans.
- Great Service/Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/16/2014We went for Restaurant Week having never been and we had a great time. I got the Fried Chicken and my husband got the Shrimp Etoufee. The chicken was great!! We definitely will be back to try the rest of the menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rated T for TexasdanielwayneandrewsDined on 8/15/2014Appropriately themed with interior design and re-interpreted local dishes. I had the chicken fried steak with some of the hottest pickled habeneras I have ever tasted. You must try the deviled eggs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulfoodieinsuburbiaDined on 8/15/2014Another Pyles hit. Ate the best fried chicken ever! The whole menu was great and our party was disappointed in nothing. Definite repeat place.Special Features:
- All Hat, No CattleLonghornTexunDined on 8/14/2014Drinks delivered wrong. Steaks cooked wrong. Desserts not delivered that were ordered. Danny was the waiter and as nice as he was , a box of rocks could have done a better job at serving us
- DissapointedRestaurantWeek2014Dined on 8/14/2014Kitchen and bar service were very slow. Spent 2-1/2 hours for a one course meal for some and a three course meal for others. Husband had to return biscuits served with Honey Fried Chicken because they were rock hard. Best dish ordered at the table was the Buffalo Chicken Fried Steak. Not worth the amount of money we spent. Good thing part of it is going to support a non-profit. Won't be back.Special Features:
- AmazingKeslovesfoodDined on 8/14/2014Everything was amazing! Service was just about the best I've seen in the city. Food was delicious, everything from start to finish. I was also most impressed with the table side margaritasSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food 5, service 2IkatDined on 8/11/2014Dined here Monday night for restaurant week. We had a three course meal and it took 2 1/2 hours; almost an hour between the first and second courses. Food was great but they need to improve the time it takes to serve it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited MenuRC365Dined on 8/11/2014Food is good, not great. Munu is VERY limited. Probably will not return.Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekRichardDined on 8/11/2014Marvelous food. Pork belly tacos were awesome. Could have made a whole meal of these. Chicken fried chicken with chorizzo gravy and scallop potatoes was even great the next day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent; reliable; a go-to spot!KenWDined on 8/11/2014It's hard to do combine excellence with quirky but Stampede 66 pulls it off. A unique style of cuisine in a charming and unusual atmosphere. And did I mention the great service?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014Waiter was very informative. The hells eggs were wonderful and the chicken was outstanding. Everything turned out great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wild Wild WestWildWildWestDined on 8/9/2014The waitstaff was very knowledgeable! The food was ok. The western theme did not appeal to me.Special Features:
- Steak special????DinekingDined on 8/7/2014Very disappointed, service was 5 star, $45 steak special Thursday, I'd of been better off buying frozen steaks from Walmart. No flavor and the ribeye was more fat then meat. This is a typical Dallas spot. Not much else to say about it except the tacos come on store bought tortillas.Special Features:
- No DisappointmentsChuckDined on 8/5/2014This was our second time to dine at Stampede 66...we did the Sunday Supper earlier and returned for dinner with friends on a Tuesday evening. Everything was excellent and we will return. We missed the Stampede Smash that had been featured at the bar on our earlier visit and hope that it will be back on the bar menu soon.Special Features:
- Nice decor. Good food. Hard sell.MichaelTXDined on 8/5/2014I had been wanting to try this restaurant since it opened, but I always ended up in the Arts District on Sundays when they were closed. Was there on a Tuesday night and our waiter was determined to upsell the menu and have us each get a $14 cocktail and several appetizers before our entrees. We had one hour before curtain time in the Arts District. The buffalo chicken fried steak was good, but not awesome. The buffalo was sliced very, very thin, so maybe 2 oz. in the entire entree. The mashed potatoes were just normal and sat in a shallow bowl of chorizo chili. My dining companion had the honey fried chicken which they are apparently known for. It was good, but we have both had equally good fried chicken for less than $21.
- Upsale BBQOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/4/2014If there is such a thing in Texas. Excellent everything. Great space, excellent service, excellent food and libations. Had the buffalo fried steak and brisket. Both were sublime and worth coming back. My new favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Texas GemAmandafox9Dined on 8/3/2014If you want Texas eating done right, then go to Stampede 66. An elegant twist on classic Texas cuisine, this place offers the perfect balance between country and elegance. Lively atmosphere, attentive service and a good time to be had by all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Talking Texan about Stephan PylesArealgem24kVIPDined on 8/3/2014I have followed of all of Chef Pyles ventures and this one is the cherry on top!. He got everything right from ambience, to décor, and most importantly - the food! Best fried chicken I have even eaten and I have lived in Dallas all my life - the honey fried, OMG! I KNOW country cooking and this is Texas fare elevated to an untouchable level! Sunday Supper was the best of all worlds as you get to try so many things and the band was SPOT ON highlighting Texas fave music. Only room for improvement, bar service was extremely slow and the beautiful buttermilk biscuits looked great but I found them dry. I will continue to come here again and again and will think of Stampede 66 any "foreigner" comes to visit :)Special Features:
- Great Atmosphere, boring BBQTexasFoodieDined on 8/3/2014Stampede 66 is a great "Texas" restaurant. The atmosphere is elegant Texan. Unfortunately, the BBQ at Stampede 66 was very disappointing. Chef Pyles needs to take a few refresher lessons on how to cook Texas BBQ. The ribs were cooked well, but the rub and sauce fell flat. The brisket was too chewy and anytime you need sauce for your brisket, you know it is not cooked correctly. Enjoy Stampede 66 for the atmosphere and to remind why it is fun to be a Texan, go to Pecan Lodge if you want great BBQ.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday SupperMesquitePairDined on 8/3/2014is great - fun to go and try all the foods that are presented, and there is usually fried chicken to take home for lunch. great for a groupSpecial Features:
- Texas on a plate!Txdonmartin1Dined on 8/2/2014A lot of restaurants try to do modern interpretations of regional foods with varying success. Most of the time they aren't particularly successful because they don't really understand the food they are trying to interpret and modernize. Not so with Chef Stephan Pyles, he gets it! Pyles is a Texan by birth and probably by choice and as such he has a fundamental understanding of what Texas food is all about. Texas represents far more than just barbecue. The cuisine of Texas is more than just beef as well. From the Pork Rinds (Chicharrones), to the Tamales, the Cobb 66 salad to the various taco offerings, the quail, the ranch beans (yummy) and the desserts, this place is a walk down memory lane and post card mail home from the trip! Loved it!Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/1/2014Very unique menu. The chicken fried buffalo with chorizo gravy is a must. Love the Shiner bread and Mexican skillet cornbread. Table side margaritas were incredible. Service and ambiance are also great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, service falls flatRyanDLDined on 7/31/2014Went with a small group for a work dinner. Food stood out, but server was inexperienced and there were a few service blunders. I'd go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique yet simpleTXDogLoverVIPDined on 7/26/2014This is the second time we have been to Stampede 66. If you are a strict vegeterian it is difficult to find anything on the menu, however, they are willing to make a veggie dish if you request it. Members of our party enjoyed the fried chicken, bacon wrapped meatloaf and fish tacos. The fish special was also good. This is not the restaurant for you if you are trying to watch your weight or eat healthy as there are few items that would meet that criteria. Overall, a good dining experience, decent wine list and good atmosphere.
- Disappointeddiner4lifeDined on 7/24/2014Food was way too salty, sweet, or oily. Margarita was good.
- Very Texan decor w interesting menuCGoodrichDined on 7/23/2014We had a party of 5 and everyone enjoyed their entrees. Several of them are foodies, so no easy task to please them! The decor was pure Texan. Service was friendly and the atmosphere was comfortable, not stuffy at all. Good for a nice celebration dinner or nice business dinner.Special Features:
- Great Place For Texas ExperiencemarksraderDined on 7/21/2014This place has a Texas feel and a Texas look. Food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- take visitors here...OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/21/2014food is good. chicken fried steak is quite tender and served nicely. shiner beer bread is fun. lunch menu allows one to try various items without breaking the bank. neat to watch the texan photos and videos shown on the screens making it a good place to bring out-of-towners.Special Features:
- AMC62Dined on 7/20/2014The butterscotch pudding was excellent! The biscuits are divine! Loved the homage to Texas and the live music. Overall though, the food is over-seasoned with excessively fiery flavors that over-power the food. Deviled eggs were so spicy to the point of being inedible. Our service was mediocre and the iced tea had an odd smokey flavor. They continued to fill our tea glasses with no ice. The watermelon margarita was one of the worst beverages ever. We had a great time, however, primarily due to the live music! I think that the Texas style gimmick is a little worn even though I am a native Texan. Maybe visitors from out of town enjoy the theme, but honestly it's not really how Texans eat.
- Texas done rightDschaedlDined on 7/19/2014I gotta say this is probably my favorite restaurant in Dallas. The atmosphere is great; there's a unique decor, and the food is phenomenal! Get the foie gras!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversaryrdy4foodDined on 7/16/2014I was looking for something new and fun - I found it at Stampede 66. The atmosphere was great! The food is unique to Texas it was awesome! The Service was outstanding! This was our Anniversary and we enjoyed everything about it. Can't wait to go back and try other dishes. My wife had the Honey Chicken, I had the steak - Be sure and try the Shiner Bock beer bread!!! FANTASTIC! We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Disappointed.DFWGastronomyDined on 7/15/2014I just expected more from Stephen Pyles. The barbecue sandwich with a piece of cheese on top and pickles thrown on the side of the plate, really? My salad was just lettuce - nothing else just lettuce and dressing. I was disappointed in the food but the restaurant is nicely decorated in the Texas theme. Me and my guest ordered the exact same entrée but different sides and the waiter came back to the table interrupting our conversation to "make sure" he entered our order correctly because he couldn't recall our sides - write it down if you can't remember it.
- A Texas Twist...BuckDined on 7/14/2014Interesting twist on Texas Classic food. A must for anyone visiting Dallas. Great atmosphere... The menu is simple but very unique and interesting. A real treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Standard "Tourist Texas" FareRyanMVIPDined on 7/12/2014The food isn't great, the service was very good but lacked a personal feel - It was if we had inconvenienced them by showing up for dinner. However, the hostess was excellent, seating us earlier and doing her best to make us feel welcome. Overall, a disappointment for what the claims made by previous visitors.
- CltwDined on 7/12/2014Cannot comment on other meal menu options as we were only there for dinner, could not tell if large groups would work - saw some groups of 6. We did have a hard time finding the parking….there were no valet attendants out when we arrived so went to garage and found locked elevators. No valet signage out when we arrived for 6:30 dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tamales and Buffalo Steak!!JenNBrettDined on 7/11/2014Sweet Potato & Wild Boar Tamales & Chicken Fried Buffalo Steak were excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.