315 West 36th Street
New York, NY 10018Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.staghornsteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 2122394390
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:45am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, High Tea, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our private room seats parties of 8-10 and our mezzanine level can accommodate up to 85 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Tony Lala 2122394390
A word from Staghorn Steakhouse
Staghorn Steakhouse provides an exceptional urban dining experience in an elegant and modern setting. Staghorn Steakhouse offers only First Grade, dry aged, USDA prime beef and a variety of premium seafood specialties. Conveniently located in Manhattan's Fashion District, just steps away from Madison Square Garden, Jacob Javits Convention Center, and Penn Station. Staghorn's multi-level space is available for private functions and seats 175. Check out our TimeOut NewYork Review by clicking the link: TimeOut NewYork (http://www.timeoutny.com/newyork/Details.do?page=1&xyurl=xyl://TONYWebArticles1/566/eat_out/staghorn_steakhouse.xml)Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Staghorn Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
11 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (7)fit for foodies (5)neighborhood gem (5)good for groups (4)romantic (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- A Very nice business dinnerBusinessVisitorDined on 9/17/2014I was visiting town with two work colleagues who wanted steak. We had a drink at the bar prior to our reservation (very good service) and then were seated. Not too busy, a low noise level (so we were able to speak and enjoy our conversation). The calamari made a nice start and the filet was done to perfection (they even found a smaller one at our request (16 oz was just too big). Service was attentive without being intrusive. While not inexpensive, it was worth the price and we will go back on a future trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a pleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/19/2014One of our favorite places for steak and quiet! The fish is also terrific and great chops. It is a pleasure to dine with Chiro ,the host, who always remembers us and takes such good care of us.Special Features:
- Great steak!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/8/2014Very expensive -- but food is fabulous. Unexpected fine dining experience in this neighborhood, where it is hard to find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/2/2014This was my first visit recommended by a friend, I loved the decor it did not have that heavy steakhouse feel. We ordered the grilled calamari to start it was excellent, along with a fresh green salad, dressing was just the right amount along with a rib-eye, which turned out to be very good it was cooked perfect. They had a very nice wine list, so it was easy to find one that everyone liked. The service was great, with the food timed perfectly between courses. My next steakhouse meal with be at this restaurant!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak was poorly cookedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/19/2014The restaurant is nice, but it was pretty much empty when I went. Seemed like a restaurant that just opened. I ordered a medium rare rib-eye and it came out medium-well. Manager was nice enough to switch it but then the steak came out raw... I was really shocked with the food.
- FirstClassDined on 6/9/2014I had to take my Boss, my biggest client and his son out to dinner before the Rangers game on monday night. My boss recomended another resteraunt that was not available time wise so a slew of other resteraunts were recomended to me. I had no idea that Staghorn would be that good when i chose it. The place was well kept and the service was top class from the front door until we left. I asked for a nice seating area and they had us set up in a private room where we were not in the open. It was a very low key part of the resteraunt and my client and his son loved it. My boss enjoyed it and told me it was a great pic. I would go back again and i highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehBlandDined on 6/9/2014Went here w/my 20 yr old son before the Ranger loss this past Monday night. Nice hostess, good service, good food...but the atmosphere had no notable anything to it. It was rather boring, and the television placement needs a rethink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 124 reviews are from the Staghorn Steakhouse reviews archive.
- nycdineDined on 5/22/2014Fantastic service along with top quality steakhouse fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find for a pre MSG event!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/9/2014Had never been here before and found it on open table as we were looking for a place close to MSG for a pre show dinner. Kudo's for them allowing us to arrive late as well. We hit traffic going in to the tunnel from NJ and I had called and said we would be 15 minutes late. Turns out we were 45 minutes late but they still sat us. I could tell our waiter was not pleased however and he was not very friendly. Other than that, the steak was very good. I'd say this place is a step below a Lugers, but still very good quality. Steaks were pricey but not out of line for NYC at all. We would go back again for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!! Highly recommend!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/26/2014We had a corporate dinner here, for about 20 people, and not a single one of us was disappointed! The good was spectacular, the wait staff was excellent and it was just overall a fantastic experience. I was extremely impressed with the presentation of everything and was beyond satisfied with my restaurant selection. I highly recommend it! It's also a very close walk to penn station which was a plusI would recommend this to a friend.
- Not quiteMrMikeDined on 3/8/2014Having just ate at Ruth's Chris in Atlanta, the steak at Staghorn was not in the same class. I had the NY Strip and the meat was aged, but not as tender or bursting with flavor. I had to salt & pepper a few times. I tried the branded steak sauce and couldn't believe it! It was mostly shrimp cocktail sauce. My wife got the lamb and again, it wasn't bad, just nothing to write home about. Couple that with the significant prices and it will not be a place I would return to or recommend.Special Features:
- Last Minute ReservationAl929VIPDined on 3/4/2014Was heading to MSG for a concert. Wanted to try Keene's or Wolfgangs. No reservations. Looked on Open Table and found Staghorn could seat us right then and there. Walked down the street no knowing what to expect. What a nice surprise we had. Started off the bacon slices. Better than Peter Lugar's in my opinion. Shrimp were huge and tasty. Rib-eye steak was excellent and cooked to perfection. From start to finish an EXCELLENT choice. Got to the Garden in plenty of time for the show. Highly recommend.
- Great Food and ServiceRHerdDined on 2/14/2014My girlfriend and I were very happy with our experience at Staghorn Steakhouse for Valentine's Day. In addition to the regular menu, the restaurant offered a reasonably-priced prix fixe option. The steak was among the best cuts I have had in New York, and tiramisu was delicious. The server and other staff were very attentive. In a neighborhood in New that does not have many great restaurants (the Fashion District), Staghorn really stands out. I would recommend to anyone!Special Features:
- Outstanding business dinerDouglasDined on 1/21/2014Had a group of 12 out for a business diner, and the night turned out to be a homerun. The waite staff was very attentive and the food was excellent. Will Strongly trcomend to friends and business associates to book there when they are in townSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience, wish you luckOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/18/2014Food was great but I think restaurant suffers from location. On a Saturday our group of six were the only patrons in addition to a table of three. Granted it was a cold January night but when we walked to the restaurant the streets were bustling. Really wish the place the best of luck because it deserves to stick around but don't know how it will pull in the customers.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a terriffic steakAnthonyfromMADined on 12/14/2013Had the porter steak for two. Cooked to perfection, tender juicy, Amazing!!! Every thing was terrific. Waiter and Manager were very professional, in a good way. A bit high priced, but every once in a while you need to splurge.Special Features:
- Waited for tableGirlsNightDined on 12/13/2013Made a reservation to grab a bite before the theater. By the time we were seated we were afraid we wouldn't make the show. We moved to the bar and ordered apps. Which were delicious. Wasn't worth ordering a. $44 steak to eat quickly. Would try again when more time. But it is expensive.I would recommend this to a friend.
- SUSIEMACSUSIEVIPDined on 12/11/2013THIS IS AN ADVERAGE NEW YORK STEAKHOUSE. THERE IS NOTHING NOTWORTHY ABOUT IT. WE COULD NOT GET INTO KEENS THAT NIGHT . OUR SERVER WAS VERY GOOD.
- Very disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/4/2013First, we waited for About 10 minutes at the non-crowded bar for a drink. Once seated, Our order was taken and that was the last we'd see of a waiter or anyone who wanted to assist us in our dining experience. Appetizers were dropped and cleared without words, no one "checked" on us, filled our waters or asked if we needed anything from the bar. Apps: Cesar salad was average, Lobster bisque was watery and simply tasted like seafood broth, salt helped. Dinner ran similarly. Dry aged rib eye was amazing, crab cakes were very salty and not made with lump crab ("special" meat instead?) Again, no one checked to see how our food was, or if our empty cocktail and water glasses (pushed to the side of the table) needed to be filled.Terrible service.
- Way too expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/26/2013This place was way too expensive for the quality of food. Also, my husband asked if anything came with his filet and he was told no, so he ordered a side item. Another member of our party did not ask, and did not order a side, however she received a side of broccoli with her filet complimentary. It made no sense whatsoever!Special Features:
- Not bad but go somewhere else.TheRavenDined on 9/19/2013It's off the beaten path for Manhattan, so it seems you can always find a table. The service was very good and attentive, and the restaurant had a nice ambience to it, but that was about all you would remember. The food, Ribeye and Stripsteak were good but not equal to other Steahhouses although the prices were equal. There were only 5 tables occupied on a Thursday evening, that was a first for me. Usually the NY Steakhouses and crowded every evening. I realize the restaurant is not ideally located, but there are many other restaurants that do very well on out of the way NY streets. To sum this restaurant up, go in a pinch but if you can go somewhere else.
- First Night in New YorkjjvegasDined on 9/9/2013I dined here on my first night in New York and although it was a holiday weekend and the restauarant was very quite I could not fault the food or service and would definitely go there again. Even the noice from a weights gym next door - which I understand they are trying to get moved - did not spoil the dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OK. Wasn't impressed.JoeMVIPDined on 7/29/2013I booked here because of all the great reviews. A party of three of us went on a Monday night and the place was EMPTY. We were there for 2 hours, from 6-8, and not another table sat the entire time we were there. As far as the food, it was average. I've been to dozens of steak restaurants in NYC and this one doesn't make anywhere near my top 10. It wasn't bad, but it was nothing special, especially when considering the prices. I won't be back as there are MANY other choices in the same area that are better.
- Excellent on all accountsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/29/2013The food and service was outstanding! The location is just outside of crazy Time Square. It was nice to feel a bit less "busy" for dinner. Very relaxing.Special Features:
- Cozy and delightful..PickyOneDined on 6/5/2013I love you interrior, your furniture and a private atmosphere. Thank you !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/11/2013The food and service were exceptional. We were there with a larger group for a business event and the staff was extremely attentive and made the experience a delightful one for our clients. I would highly recommend this restaurant for both your personal and business events.Special Features:
- With a plethora of establishmentsDeeRoarkDined on 3/7/2013With a plethora of establishments to choose from in the neighborhood I would look elsewhere next time. As one of the few tables in the restaurant we felt as if we were forgotten by the staff. The music was not ambient so much as it was over powering and then of course there's the prime location next door to a gym where it would seem dropping weights is a matter of common practice. If you like to be ignored while being jarred by butterfingered meat heads next door this is the perfect place for you. Maybe better noise reduction and a better staff could pick things up a bit.
- We were seated close to theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/7/2013We were seated close to the entrance so every time the door opened we felt a draft; otherwise the service and food was excellent.Special Features:
- Staghorn Steakhouse does it right!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/26/2013The steaks are cooked to perfection and there is never a wait, mind you they do not offer any sides with the entrees. The is pricy but you get your monies worth.Special Features:
- Terrific old-fashioned serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/21/2013Terrific old-fashioned service and excellent food and drink.Special Features:
- Tough SteakOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/14/2013I ordered a filet mignon at medium temperature. The steak was tough. Totally unacceptable for the expense. The servers were very curious so it's unfortunate that this steakhouse had such tough steak.
- Very ImpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2013It was absolutely fabulous. Steaks were perfectly cooked and delicious. The service was outsranding. I would highly recomment Staghorn and definitely plan on returning.Special Features:
- The music sounded like itJeffSVIPDined on 1/28/2013The music sounded like it came from a transistor radio, not appropriate for the type of restaurant and just wrong. The wait staff could hardly understand our orders. The side portions for an expensive restaurant ware very small. The steaks were ok. I was really surprised how disappointed I was given how expensive the restaurant was. I expected better.Special Features:
- My foursome had a 9:30 PMLousLanieDined on 1/26/2013My foursome had a 9:30 PM Saturday reservation and we were the only diners. Unfortunately the restaurant is on a side street off the beaten path, but the food is outstanding. Not the first or last time I will eat here...just wish others would find out about it!
- Went on a Saturday night,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/26/2013Went on a Saturday night, and it wasn't crowded at all, but I think that was due to it's location. I think it would do very well at lunchtime as it is in the garment district. Food was good. My husband particularly loved the food. For me, I prefer other steakhouses, but that is because of the way I prefer my steak cooked. Overall, it was good and I would recommend it to others.Special Features:
- Great service and foodGGarciaVIPDined on 1/9/2013Great place to go have a wonderful steak and other specialties on the menu. Ciro, our host was extremely attentive and was very knowledgeable on wines. Best service I've had in a very long time and worth going.Special Features:
- Nice steakhouse with qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/22/2012Nice steakhouse with quality food. The table was on the small-ish side (we were 11) but overall it was a nice evening.Special Features:
- I WOULD RECOMMEND STAGHORNOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/14/2012I WOULD RECOMMEND STAGHORN FOR THE FOOD BUT THEY NEED TO WORK ON SERVICE. OUR WAITER WAS UNATTENTIVE TO THE WOMEN IN OUR PARTY. AFTER SERVING A BOTTLE OF WINE TO THE MEN IN OUR PARTY, BOTH WOMEN HAD TO ASK FOR A DRINK. THE WAITER NEVER ASKED IF WE WOULD LIKE A REFILL. HE DID HOWEVER, COME OVER PERIODICALLY AND SERVE THE MEN THEIR WINE UNTIL THE BOTTLE WAS EMPTY. WE ALSO HAD TO WAIT ALMOST 45 MINUTES FOR OUR FOOD,WHILE OTHERS WHO ORDERED AFTER US WERE SERVED BEFORE US. I PICKED THIS RESTRAUNT FOR MY FRIENDS BECAUSE I HAD BEEN THERE BEFORE AND THE SERVICE (WITH A DIFFERENT WAIT STAFF) AND FOOD WERE EXCELLENT. I ALSO FOUND OUT THAT THE MEAL I PAID 34.99 FOR ON THURSDAY WAS NOW 46.99 ON FRIDAY.
- Meat was good.turtlegirl2Dined on 12/13/2012Everything we ordered was very good. The Staghorn salad was surprisingly good, based on description it could have gone either way. Wine list not that big and pricing is all over the place, some wines were under priced while others over-priced (compared to market rate), but overall just what I expect from a steak house. Veal chop and lamb chops cooked perfectly, great cuts of meat. Sides were uninspired but fine.Special Features:
- sat down at 6:20 for 8pm knickredhot61Dined on 12/13/2012sat down at 6:20 for 8pm knick game. missed the tipoff because of slow service. food was very good but very slow.