Stages at One Washington
One Washington St.
Dover, NH 03820Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Stages at One Washington
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.stages-dining.com/
- Phone: (603) 842-4077
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Evan Hennessey
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Stages at One Washington Team also runs Flavor Concepts Catering which provides catering services above all others. Please visit www.flavor-concepts.com to view our catering options.
- Cross Street: Main St.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Most of our dining events are in the evening making parking fairly accessible. Parking is available in any spot around the mill after 5pm. Additionally, there is metered street parking that is available in the front of the mill building which is usually available and free in the evening. The parking lot across the street from the mill building is no longer available at any time for parking.
A word from Stages at One Washington
Stages at One Washington provides an upscale, unique, and enjoyable dining experience to guests. The kitchen is headed by Chef and Owner Evan Hennessey, who is an award winning chef with experience working at some of the country’s top restaurants. The cuisine is Progressive New England, as the food is sourced from a network of local farmers, foragers and fishermen. Stages offers nightly tasting menus with beverage pairings, and the menu changes frequently to keep pace with local farms, so check the website for the current menu. The restaurant is reservation only and typically limits its nightly seating to the 8 seats located in the kitchen. Stages also periodically offers theme dinners and popup dinners which tend to revolve around a specific inspiration for the event.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Stages at One Washington reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (21)notable wine list (17)special occasion (16)romantic (14)neighborhood gem (8)hot spot (5)good for groups (2)Show More
- Best Dining Experience I've Had In A While!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/20/2014I had the most amazing first experience at Stages! I surprised my fiance with dinner for his 35th birthday and it was just us and Evan in the kitchen. The food and wine pairings were incredible and Evan was a delight to talk with. I will definitely be coming back here soon!Special Features:
- Enjoyable, but it needed more.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/14/2014We went for the restaurant week 4 course meal. Every dish was very creative and very well presented, but out of the 8 dishes we were collectively served, only 2 were really outstanding. The others were all fine, but not anything I would run back for. I'd still say the place is worth checking out, and the menu seems to change regularly. It's a nice, small space, and the service was outstanding. The team of 3-4 wait staff were all very friendly and attentive, even as a large party (10+) rolled in behind us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very creative and delicate dishes.BistroBoyDined on 11/13/2014Great flavors paired perfectly with wines chosen by Chef Evan. Very clean and fresh foraged ingredients found locally! Loved everything!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific, Tasty but TinyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/12/2014We loved the experience of dining in the kitchen and the interaction with the chefs! The menu was very interesting and introduced many new ingredients, combinations and cooking styles to us. Our only recommendation to others will be to think of this dining experience as ART and not as a full dinner as portions are extremely small. We have heard this from others, and hope the message may send a message to the chefs to perhaps make it more of a full dining experience. We wish chef Hennessey the best, and feel very fortunate to have one of the United States best chefs right here in the Seacoast!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JanisDined on 11/12/2014We have enjoyed many unique & creative dinners at Stages! The wait staff is always so knowledgeable about what is on the plate and about the wines. We love that Chef Evan comes out during the dinner to talk with those at each table. We would have to go to NYC to eat such a dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Resturaunt Week 2014JimJDined on 11/9/2014First time at Stages, it was a great experience. The food was different in a very good way. A wonderful change from the resturaunt norm. The service was great. Our waitress was pleasant, knowledgable about the wine and food. Both the chef and our waitress were willing to spend a few minutes in conversation about the meal and food in general. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing!durhamdinerDined on 11/8/2014yet another amazing dining experience at Stages. We went during restaurant week so not only was it amazing food, it was a bit easier on the wallet. thanks for the yummies!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem in DoverJosieDined on 11/8/2014Stages is unlike any other restaurant around. It's definitely one of a kind. The entire dining experience from the first course through to dessert is a food delight. Having the wine pairings with each course is definitely the way to do it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite!VandJDined on 11/7/2014This restaurant is an incredible find in Dover, NH! Chef Evan's dishes, often international in concept, are interesting and unique with wonderful flavor combinations. The food is worthy of at least one Michelin star; it's sophisticated and beautifully prepared. The service was friendly and attentive. The portions are a little small but after 4 courses, we were satisfied. Evan is very personable and we hope to sit in the kitchen and watch him cook next time we go. We recommend this restaurant very highly for the discerning or adventuresome diner. We know Chef Evan will win a major award at some point.....Catch him here in Dover while you can!Special Features:
- Most interesting restaurant in NHjoshVIPDined on 9/20/2014Stages is one of our two favourite restaurants in New England. It's a unique experience which we highly recommend to foodies. Stages is very small, only eight seats which are located in the kitchen where you interact with the chef while he prepares your meal. The menu is highly innovative and it varies every day depending on what's available. We've been to Stages twice and we found it to be exceptional both times.Special Features:
- Great Food -- small portionsbbnyDined on 9/9/2014I loved Stages. The food as carefully designed with interesting local ingredients. The tastes were novel but not too exotic. The food quality was high and it was fun watching the chef prepare the food. There was a couple who went often. Apparently they have themed dinners in he off season. I'd love to return. The food portions for me were fine but for someone with a larger appetite, I'd just say don't go hungry. Go for the ambiance, the wine and the tastes. I was pleasantly satisfied and did not feel like I ate a 10,000 calorie meal -- which is great for me. However, beware. Divine wine choices and wine list!Special Features:
- Tiny portionsEaterVIPDined on 9/9/2014There was hardly anything to eat. The portions were simply skimpy. The food was good, not memorable. The chef is a pleasant man. But there is no excuse for not serving a decent portion.
- Sublime!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/29/2014Chef Evan is masterfull! His cooking is beyond first rate. His use of ingredients is inspired. And then his recommended wine pairings are exquisite, and occassionally surprisingly so. He is the best Chef we have encountered in the Northeast or short of a three star Michelin restaurant. This is the place to go for an outstanding culinary treat.Special Features:
- Wedding AnniversaryGSDNAPLESDined on 8/28/2014Our visit to Stages was absolutely outstanding in every sense. The very special attention provided by Evan and his staff made all aspects of our visit quite unique and Truely memorable. The care and quality were obvious in every.detail, I recommend a visit most highly!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best eating experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/27/2014A truly unique and delicious meal. Like sitting in on a Food Network show. You and your friends sit at a counter overlooking Chef Evan's beautiful modern kitchen set in an old mill building. The prix fixe menu at $40 is an outstanding value. Each dish was outstanding. You watch the painstaking preparation of each course and Evan explains the ingredients and how each is sourced and prepared. We had a group of four, so we ordered each of the options for each course and shared so we got a taste of everything. My only regret was having to share the short ribs because I really wanted to eat every morsel of that dish.Special Features:
- jazzedDined on 8/22/2014Amazing food that will have your taste buds at a heightened sense of awareness and exploding in delight. We opted for the wine combination selected for each serving and enjoyed tasting new wines from around the world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RedMooseVIPDined on 8/22/2014A fabulous meal, great experience!!! Nothing like this has ever been in Dover - and so hopeful that it will succeed and remain.Special Features:
- NanaNanaDined on 8/15/2014This is a price fixed resturants with a set menu. The food is imaginative, well prepared and as delicious as it looks. Chef Evan is a delight and willing to answer questions about some of the more unusual items on his menu. Will definitely return soon!Special Features:
- The following 43 reviews are from the Stages at One Washington reviews archive.
- big85buckeyeDined on 7/2/2014Truly a place to expand your dining horizon. Chatting with the Chefs lets you open areas of food preparation and variety you never realize existed. I now "experiment" with foods and condiments and combinations that vastly expend my dining preparation. Meals are now new adventures, not a chore!Special Features:
- A Special OccasionBillDined on 6/21/2014Our experience was wonderful. I recommend the experience highlySpecial Features:
- A One of a Kind ExperiencefrogschoolDined on 6/17/2014My wife is a farmer and phenomenal cook and as a result delicious meals made from the freshest incredients are a standard for us. Far too often when we eat out, we come away feeling like we would have had better food at a far cheaper price by just staying home. This was not the case when we recently ate at Stages to celebrate our 29th anniversary. Sitting in Evan's kitchen, watching him work, and eating his amazing creations was like nothing we had ever experienced. His knowledge, creativity, and obvious joy of food were a delight. We ate foods we did not even know were edible including mugwort, solomon seal, and red clover flowers. He even created a special course just for us to honor our anniversary. A truly unique experience!Special Features:
- Unique experience.dining2bestfriendsDined on 6/17/2014It was a unique experience watching the chef prepare our food. He explained all the choices beforehand and we made our 3 course choices before he started the preparation of the food. He then prepared the food and presented it very artistically. He explained in detail how the food was prepared, what ingredients went into making it and how some of these ingredients were made. We had the wine paring with our meal which we enjoyed very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenomenal menumainegirlDined on 6/13/2014Our experience was with the French Laundry menu and wine pairings. It was exceptional from appetizer to dessert. The preparation and presentation was superb. We felt like we were in Yountville, CA!Special Features:
- Outstanding findNightoutDined on 6/13/2014Stumbled across this outstanding restaurant, lived in Dover my entire life, thought I kept up on what was here, I was pleasantly surprised to find such a fine dining experience, we will defiantly return to this hidden gem.Special Features:
- excellent evening outfoodieDined on 5/16/2014My husband and I loved dinning at Stage One. Chef Evan made some great dishes and it was fun to watch him cook. We enjoyed the intimate experience - it was like having a chef come to your home. I highly recommend this as a fun evening out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique experiencebeornDined on 5/10/2014Stages is a restaurant that serves 6 to 8 guests a fixed four-course menu. The two cheeks are the entire staff- they serve and cook in front of the guests who are seated at a bar around the kitchen and watch as dinner gets made. There were two options for each course so my wife and I managed to try everything and can confirm every dish was creative, harmonious, attractive, and delicious.Special Features:
- Truly Unique ExperienceJakeDined on 4/24/2014It is hard to know where to begin when giving praise to, Executive Chef and Owner of Stages at One Washington, Evan Hennessey. This restaurant is a vehicle for many of his passions; community, food, family and customer satisfaction. Anyone that is fortunate enough to experience a dinner at the chef's table of Stages will leave having been entertained and educated in the joys and challenges of a socially responsible restaurateur. This is not the place for someone looking for a meat and potatoes meal but rather those with an adventurous palate and an appreciation for fresh, locally grown ingredients served in the most extraordinary ways. Congratulations Mr. Evans on a life well-lived and thank you for a truly memorable experience.Special Features:
- Amazing experiencebjh1459Dined on 4/18/2014The food is a delight to the eye as well as to the palate.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/16/2014Truly outstanding food in an intimate setting. They only sit six customers a night along a counter/bar at the edge of the kitchen. You are right there watching everything the chef and his assistant are doing. No wait staff, no Maitre d. Just two guys that are dedicated to their craft. And they are good at it. I suggest you go with their wine pairing selections. Superb!!!!Special Features:
- A mustOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/12/2014Best dining experience I've had in New England. Hands down. I'm from NY and big into the foodie scene; this restaurant is comparable to the best in NY.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not deserving of the hype nor priceDinersDined on 4/5/2014Surprisingly disappointing; it just wasn't anything special. Nothing jumped off the plate and made us want to come back. Sure, dishes were creative & looked good on the menu but were unimpressive on the palate. We expected a memorable experience but less than 2 weeks on I don't even remember what we ate. It was Restaurant Week so we got a better deal but it was still WAY overpriced. The microscopic portion sizes were expected (grabbed a slice of pizza after dinner) but the unremarkable food wasn't. Even if Stages' prices and portions we equal to, say, the Orchard Street Chop Shop or Patty B's we would't return because the food at those other places (and more in Dover) makes us crave it. Stages' food didn't, and we are surprised.
- Never again !!StacyNDined on 4/4/2014This was a total let down!! service was sooo bad 5 of us started laughing about it. She had no idea About the menu items then gave the wine for the pairing 30 mind before that course was ready. Reservations were At 7:30, did not walk out until 11:15... That is litterly how long it took and the food was not worth the time And money none if us said we would go back or recommend it.
- Fabulous food, astonishingKiddoDined on 3/29/2014Fabulous food, astonishing presentation, works of art and the flavors, just superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chic Gourmet in an Old Millthanks4cookingDined on 3/25/2014If you haven't experienced an evening at Stages, well you simply haven't experienced one of the most memorable dining events of your life. We had a fabulous time at the kitchen dining bar watching Chef Evan Hennessey and his sous chef prepare 4-courses of artfully presented and delectable plates paired with wonderful wines suggested by our host. This was our third time at Stages and the experience of dining with a small group in the kitchen was so much fun we will sure to be back again. We've dined in high-end restaurants in NYC and in Boston and for certain, Evan can compete with all of them. Stages is a great value and a truly memorable place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection!Karen4VIPDined on 3/22/2014Pre-fix chef's table is such a wonderful concept. 8 lucky diners each evening get to sit in the kitchen and watch the three chefs create your dishes with expert precision and gorgeous plating. The combination of flavors and textures on each plate are an explosion on the palate. Foodies need to try this place! It really makes one respect the amount of work that goes into the plate! Reservations necessary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemjoshVIPDined on 3/22/2014Stages is hidden away on the third floor of a converted mill, if it weren't for Open Table we never would have found it. This is a restaurant that's strictly for foodies, it's very small, only eight seats located in the kitchen. The menu is prix fix and changes depending on what's available, for example i had the razor clams for one of my courses which were only on the menu the night we were there because they managed to get a few from their clammer. The chef prepares and serves each dish with explanations and wine recommendations, because you are at a bar in the kitchen you can interact with the chef as much as you want. The meal was innovative, perfectly prepared and delicious. Stages has the potential to be our new favourite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A unique dining experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/20/2014A unique dining experience! Lots of fun to be seated right in the kitchen watching your food being prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptionally memorable!big85buckeyeDined on 3/5/2014This is a most extraordinary dining experience. The chefs were friendly, accommodating, and they clearly enjoy creating exceptional cuisine. This is the place to go for a great gourmet experience!Special Features:
- A GemRoswellAlienDogDined on 3/1/2014Yet another dinner service complete with a show from the kitchen. Cozy, warm, delicious. Everything that happens has been well thought out with preference going to locally sourced proteins and vegetables. Such a treat - everyone should have this 'experiential eating' experience.Special Features:
- Very memorable evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/26/2014Was a great night, experiencing four creative chefs pairing with various White Birch beers. Liked the slow pace of the meal, liked the commentary very much, interesting creations that I would probably not had anywhere else. Would come back for a special occasion. Thank You.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.