5 Livingston Avenue
New Brunswick, NJ 08901Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.stageleft.com/
- Phone: (732) 828-4444
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm, Monday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: J.R. Belt
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please inquire contact our Catering Manager for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Stage Left has several rooms available for private events. We can accommodate groups from 15 to 130. We offer a variety of party menus. We also offer wine dinners and wine classes ideal for that a special celebration or a corporate mixer.
- Private Party Contact: Alex Hall 7328284444
- Cross Street: George Street
- Public Transit: The restaurant is located a few minute walk from the New Brunswick train station, on the New Jersey Transit - Northeast Corridor line.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking is available $10-15 per vehicle located at The Heldrich Hotel. There is some on street parking (some metered till 7 pm). There are also city parking lots and garages.
A word from Stage Left
Stage Left has been ranked among the best restaurants in NJ since it’s opening in 1992. The focus is on the best local ingredients in the kitchen and an award-winning wine cellar stocked with wonderful gems from $30-$3000. Service is friendly and knowledgeable. Our elegant private dining rooms and rustic wine cellar are perfect for business or romance. NJ Monthly – Best American Restaurant / NY Times – Excellent / Star Ledger – 4 Stars / Wine Spectator – Best of Award of Excellence For reservations in the bar area of Stage Left, please note this in your reservation notes. There is limited seating in that area so we may reach out to you if we do not have availability.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Stage Left - Best Restaurants in New Brunswick ›
Stage Left reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (39)special occasion (35)notable wine list (32)romantic (26)neighborhood gem (26)great for outdoor dining (16)good for groups (16)late-night find (6)hot spot (6)vibrant bar scene (5)scenic view (2)great for lunch (2)Show More
- An amazing Celebration!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/26/2014We were celebrating my parent's anniversary, my brother's birthday and an early Thanksgiving dinner. Mike, our server, was outstanding. He was very knowledgable and helpful for us first-timers. The food and wine were delicious. One of the best dinners ever! When dessert came out, there were 2 desserts that said "Happy Anniversary" and "Happy Birthday" written in chocolate sauce! It was the cherry on top of everything. Thank you for making this night so special. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't be backTheatreRegularDined on 11/22/2014I've been to Stage Left twice. First time was for a lobster bake in the summer. While the food was great, the servers acted like they were doing us (my son and me) a favor by waiting on us. Maybe it was just a bad day. Friends of our wanted to go to Stage Left recently so I decided to give you another chance. One again, the food was very good but the service terrible. Either the wait staff was all over us or couldn't be found. It took two or three request just to get lemon for our water and numerous times the staff tried to clear individual plates when they were not even finished with their food. We had tickets to George Street that Saturday (11/22) night and even though we sat down @ 5:45 and told the waiter at 7:45 pm we needed the check and coffees (no desserts) soon, we barely made the curtain. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on you. We won't be back. I contrast this with the always exceptional service and overall experience we have next door at Catherine Lombardi.Special Features:
- On a whim yet pleasantly surprisedbailzyDined on 11/7/2014Fantastic scallops....no sauce required! Duck dynasty was delectable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrate HerePADDYWAGONDined on 11/1/2014Went here to celebrate our 3 year anniversary and the food was outstanding. I had the wagyu steak that comes on a hot salt brick with truffle mashed and the venison stew to start. She had the arugula salad and the salmon and every dish was better than the last. We also got an amuse consisting of scallops and bacon, which really made the occasion feel special. Finally we ended with the ice cream and sorbet flight which was an excellent compliment to our meal and allowed me to walk from the restaurant instead of being rolled out due to food coma.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for pre-Theater2fourdinnerDined on 11/1/2014I was able to drop my wife off at the curb this rainy and windy night, then park nearby. The service was very professional and prompt. Our entree's were excellent. My wife loved the lamb, I enjoyed the barramundi. We will come here again!Special Features:
- Best burger I've ever hadMattDDined on 10/29/2014The Stage Left Burger will change your life haha Also, Trevor is the man, he can tell you anything you've ever wanted to know about food, wine, or beer and makes a mean cocktail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale but disappointingPatDDined on 10/26/2014We visited after the NJ Symphony on a Sunday night with another couple. It was obviously a slow time which was fine with us as we wanted to talk. Few people were there. The food was trendy and minimalist in quantity and menu selections. A waiter knocked over a glass of wine on our table and gave us an after dinner drink which was nice. It's expensive but the quality doesn't match the price.Special Features:
- Great night outNick2014Dined on 10/24/2014I passed Stage Left many times as a Rutgers Student and I wanted to take my girlfriend some place special. I am happy to have gone and thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of the meal. The wait staff is very knowledgable and experienced and I felt very welcome once I stepped through the door.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- World classPoodlefanDined on 10/23/2014This was my third visit, and, as usual, I was amazed. My visits have all been prior to a performance at the George St Playhouse, and it is perfect. The food is outstanding, the portions are reasonable, the wine list includes some excellent choices and the staff always makes sure that one is not rushed. I definitely want to return on a non-theatre night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it.JXSULLDined on 10/18/2014Great food. Great service. You get what you pay for. Worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- top notchmdomanicDined on 10/13/2014The food here is exquisite. High quality ingredients, amazing menu, great cocktails. Just great food and nice quiet atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for special occasion.Fuzzysox123Dined on 10/11/2014We found Stage Left just by chance on a visit to New Brunswick. It is a little expensive for regular dining for us but was well worth it for this occasion. The atmosphere is cozy and romantic in the main dining room. The food was delicious. The service was wonderful. We would definitely eat here again when in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Splendid fine dining experience!AndrewDined on 10/4/2014I came here for my 19th birthday and it was one of the best dinners I've ever had. The steak was by far the best I've had and my girlfriend loved her lamb entree. The waiter was very knowledgable of all the menu items and was always available right when we needed him. The ambiance of the restaurant is great. Very peaceful with a home-like feel.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/28/2014Went here with a few friends before seeing a show at the State Theater, so we didn't have a lot of time. The servers asked if we were seeing the show and were great about getting us served in time without making the meal feel at all rushed. The food was really excellent all around, as was the beer. I'm looking forward to going back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EricDined on 9/13/2014This was an anniversary dinner. We are always happy to eat there. Service was a bit slow this time.Special Features:
- professionalismstakeloverDined on 9/8/2014Seating, waitress and food server are very unprofessional, especially for this kind of expensive restaurant.Special Features:
- PerfecttipardoDined on 8/25/2014Small family group for dinner. Food was fantastic. Scallops were done perfectly & the dirty martini was smooth. Wild boar chops & steaks are always our top choices. Leave room for dessert if you can-will be well worth it. And the sides are enough to feed two people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tomato TomatoOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014We had the most wonderful time exploring "Tomatoes through the ages"! What wonderful soup! Very forthcoming with ingredients for recipe! The most inventive dish however was BRULEED tomatoes with lemon basil ice cream! Wowwie Wow Wow. And the wines - to die for! Our only regret was to find out that a "Big Night" celebration was on the same night and that we could have enjoyed Tomato Night on another night and that way could have participated in both. We have already noted this on our calendar for next August.Special Features:
- sjs1VIPDined on 8/18/2014Stage Left is a reliably excellent place to entertain business guests. Food, service, ambiance all excellent.Special Features:
- Enchanted EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/8/2014Thank you for making our date night special from your warm greeting on arrival to coffee and sinful desserts-Stage Left rocks!Special Features:
- Stage Left is just righttoplibrarianDined on 8/6/2014Stage Left is a wonderful New Brunswick gem. The food is excellent and the service is wonderful - always helpful but never hovering. If it were a little less expensive it would be the perfect go-to neighborhood place. But for the price you pay, the experience is well worth it. One of the two owners is always around to stop by and chat with customers. They really care about their restaurant and make you feel like an old friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PricesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/6/2014Food is imaginative and generally excellent, but overpriced. That which was not excellent was pretty disappointing and made the exorbitant prices unconscionable.Special Features:
- 4 for 4GeorgeBDined on 8/3/2014Fourth time here and they never fail to provide a better than good experience. Interesting menu that's Got some great choices. Recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FANTASTIC evening!GerriDined on 8/2/2014Our bartender was so nice. Then we went to dinner and the waiter was friendly and knowledgeable. We loved the wine he said we should try and his explanation of how it would taste was perfect! His recommendation for dinner was spot on. The strip steak was awesome! I loved the fact that all 4 of our dinners were served at the exact same time. Very classy! And the chef sent out on him the molten cake which I love! Nice treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 570 reviews are from the Stage Left reviews archive.
- Jderwin26VIPDined on 7/24/2014We went to Stage Left during restaurant week because it is usually much too expensive despite the good reviews. Needless to say our meals were fantastic and we may need to splurge! I had the garlic pasta and loved it as my fiancé loved his steak. Everything tasted very fresh and the service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food & impeccable serviceconnoisseurYOUDined on 7/19/2014Enjoyed Stage Left on New Brunswick restaurant week perks. Our family had a great time at a great bills. I'd suggest it as a great place for a romantic outing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BADNEWSVIPDined on 7/17/2014I could not in good conscience reccomend Stage Left. The food was alright but the service was very poor. Our appetizer came and went and then we waited for at least 20 minutes for the main course and this was in spite of our waiter asking if we had a curtain. We had told him yes-8 PM.After the main course was cleared the wait for the dessert menu was so long that we asked for the check as we now had little time to get to the theater. The waiter apologized profusely but still we waited. When he finally brought the check,he also brought a creme brulee(this took alot of time).So again,no,I will not reccomend this restaurant to my worst enemy. HarrietteSpecial Features:
- All around but pricey excellenceSchmooVIPDined on 7/9/2014Wonderful food, attentive (if sometimes slow) service, quiet and beautiful setting but quite expensive. Wine list contains some very high priced labels but also some relative bargains with modest mark-ups over retail. Scallop appetizer superb as were the steaks and chops all three of us ordered. Sides also great. One wine by the glass was not up to par and was promptly removed from the bill. Will definitely be back but will need to be a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A top scale restaurant in all ways.DoctorBDined on 7/8/2014From service to food preparation, everything was fantastic. A great choice for theater goers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outdoor sceneOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/7/2014In the heart of New Brunswick you wouldn't expect to be surrounded by beautiful flowers and comfortable outdoor seating.Stage left was so inviting. Each course was better than the next. Foie gras was great, staff graciously recommended a excellent Sauternes to pair with it. The wagyu flat iron steak served on a 500 degree himaylian salt brick was unique,fun and tasty. I found a Serbian(!)wine to pair with it which was also excellent. My girlfriend got the halibut which was so fresh, it was plated with some great local produce.To finish we shared a ice cream sundae for 2 which was served in a himaylian salt bowl. It added a really interesting savory element to the ice cream. On a warm summer night, stage left can't be beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EatsoutalotDined on 6/21/2014Although the food was very good, for the prices they charge you would think that a drink on the rocks, in a large rocks glass, should have more than a measured shot with three large cubes. Other than that, our server was outstanding with incredible knowledge of an extremely complex menu/ingredients. I would still keep this place in mind for special occasions.Special Features:
- reviewralphDined on 6/20/2014the waiters were very attentive and the food was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over-priced!RegularDined on 6/14/2014The ambiance in the main dining room was OK - quiet and spacious but nothing special. The food was delicious but overpriced. I've gotten equal or better quality for less. Wine list too was very pricey.
- KINGtasteVIPDined on 6/8/2014FOOD WAS OUTSTANDING - SO WAS THE PRICE - SO BE PREPARED TO PAY NEW YORK CITY BILLSSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great,....butBillDined on 6/7/2014Terrific food and wines, but the service was a bit rough around the edges. We enjoy leisurely dining and weren't in any hurry, but the wait for our main course was extremely long and it was prepared quite differently than described by the server (much more spicy heat). Some of the young-ish waiters seemed a little flustered all evening. Restrooms are located in a short, dark, narrow hallway right outside the kitchen, so on your way there, you're dodging the staff hurrying between the dining room and kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Bacon Cheeseburger EverBigEaterDined on 6/6/2014My father and I are burger nuts so we have had them from all over, and we are always searching for the best, we found it. From the delicious roll to the grass fed beef to the aged Vermont cheddar to the amazing Amish bacon that didn't even have a hint of salt, the flavors married together in a way that simply makes me smile just thinking about it. Can't wait to get back there and thanks to the staff at stage left for amazing culinary experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedBeenThereDined on 6/1/2014Once again, Stage Left delivers. Even though we've been there more than a few times since they opened, not once have they failed to provide. Excellent food, quiet atmosphere and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding in every way!RosiesreviewDined on 6/1/2014This was our second time eating at Stage Left. The food is outstanding! All five of us thoroughly enjoyed our dinners! The staff are friendly and helpful. There are no bad seats in the restaurant. We did not sit outside but it was inviting! I cannot wait to go back! Do not miss this gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visitOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/25/2014We enjoy good food and wine and Stage Left did not disappoint. The steak tasting, incredible wine selection, and specials made for a delightful evening. The staff was attentive, friendly, and helpful. It was a beautiful evening and while we dined at a wonderful table inside the staff was able to accommodate dessert and drinks outdoors. We will definitely return to Stage Left on our next visits to New Jersey.Special Features:
- WonderfulAlbonDined on 5/25/2014This is a great restaurant for both food and service. We have been enjoying this place for years and will continue to do so.Special Features: