1270 Valencia Street
San Francisco, CA 94110Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.stvincentsf.com/
- Phone: 4152851200x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: M-Th 5:30pm-10:00pm
Dinner: F-Sa 5:30pm-11:00pm
Brunch: Sat 11pm-3pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bill Niles
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: St. Vincent is especially well-suited for daytime tasting events, for groups of all sizes.
A word from St. Vincent
St. Vincent is a wine-centric American tavern owned by James Beard Award-winning sommelier and author David Lynch. The hearty fare offered up by Chef Bill Niles is complemented by an extensive wine list where EVERY offering is available by the half-bottle. St. Vincent is also licensed to sell wine at retail, and is also well-known for its expertly curated beer selection, overseen by certified cicerone Sayre Piotrkowski. Visit www.stvincentsf.com for more information about the ever-changing menu, upcoming wine and beer tasting events, and special offers from the retail shop.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
St. Vincent - Best Restaurants in Mission ›
St. Vincent reviews from OpenTable diners
72 reviews since April 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (50)fit for foodies (48)neighborhood gem (33)special occasion (27)romantic (22)hot spot (13)good for groups (7)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (4)great for brunch (4)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- One of the best in the MissionSikeMoDined on 8/22/2014Very interesting menu and excellent wine list. Excellent service for us on the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where to have a great glass or twoVinophileVIPDined on 8/13/2014Leave yourself in David Lynch's very capable hands when selecting wines. He's outstanding in his field. Food is very good, too. All in all, a delightful experience.Special Features:
- Great Wine!JenningsDined on 7/29/2014Come here for the wine. It really is an incredible list and the staff is very well informed. The menu is slightly limited if you're a vegetarian (which I am). The soft pretzel may have been the best I've ever had. The other menu items were less impressive. The dessert was the real low point of the meal. The yeasted waffle took about 25 minutes to arrive and it was inedible. A "sherry drizzle" on the waffle was an understatement. It tasted heavily of bitter alcohol and after 2 bites I had enough. Also important to note that the waitress sold us on the side dish potatoes and then completely forgot to bring them out. It was fine since we had plenty of food, but to rave about a menu item and then forget about it is unacceptable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect NightMiladyRDined on 7/15/2014We spent a cosy evening with our dear friends for their 50th birthday celebration. We couldn't have had better service and attention. They were busy, but always had their eye on us. The wine list is hip, nouveau, and enticing....minerality is the game! Every dish was delish, but my "Hot Chicken with homemade pickles" was to die for. Cant wait to return!Special Features:
- Great experience overallwelovebuongustoVIPDined on 7/12/2014Five of us went here for dinner and were all very happy with the entire experience. This is a big deal because our group of foodie world travelers tends to be difficult to please. I always fret about finding a good restaurant when we go out with this bunch and I nailed it with St. Vincent. We ordered a bunch of food for the table to share and staged it out in different courses. Our one friend who is a vegetarian found plenty of items to eat on the menu as did the two lactose intolerant ones. It was our one friend's birthday and they were discreet and classy about the way they handled his birthday dessert. Overall service was fantastic, the food was great and the atmosphere was perfect. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible Experience!! Do Not Go!HangOutnFunDined on 7/11/2014The service and staff at this restaurant are horrible. We were celebrating my girlfriend's birthday and were asked to pay our bill and leave as we "had too many people". We were a group of 10 people with 5 more friends stopping over to say hi. We had a bill of ~400$ and our friends al ordered 15$ wine glasses and hung out by the bar. However, the staff decided that we were too much for the place (which was empty) and decided to kick us out (on a BIRTHDAY!!) The ownership and staff are disrespectful and irresponsible. Absolutely terrible experience! I would not recommend this place to anyone! especially if celebrating a special occasion. I demand our money back for all the people who drove a long way to celebrate the birthday with us!
- Wine & DineOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/3/2014This is the 4th time that I've been to St. Vincent and I love it! The wine menu is extraordinary and the food selection is top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Daring fare & generous poursavalentineDined on 7/2/2014I wasn't sure what to expect from St. Vincent. Would this be another snooty and overpriced small plate wine bar? Nothing could be further from the truth. First of all, the food here has wow factor. Even the bread is amazing! Bold & creative flavors using the local seasonal ingredients we have all come to expect. And the servings seem super-sized compared to most of what you get these days! The wine list is broken into helpful sections, but we ended up relying on the sommelier. Instead of pushing expensive wines he seemed genuinely interested in finding each person something they would enjoy, and WOW was the wine dynamite! And the total bill was completely reasonable. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dare to discover this 'hidden' gemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/30/2014Limited menu, because food is actually prepared and cooked on the spot. You can have 1/2 of ANY bottle of wine for 1/2 the price of the entire bottle. One of us had the rabbit, with complex flavours -- artichoke hearts, onions, olives -- that dish was slow-roasted and well worth the wait. The other had sea bass with perfectly roasted fingerling potatoes, zucchini adorned, and for dessert, we shared panna cotta with balsamic swirled on top. Service was attentive, personable, helpful. It was a lovely, rewarding evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seems like we found a new regularmarcorabelliniDined on 6/28/2014Second time here. Just as great as the last time. Get the pretzel.Special Features:
- Nice surprisecinziaDined on 6/26/2014We didnt know what to expect before coming to St Vincent's except the fact that it probably had an extensive wine list, due to the backround of the owner. Which it definitely and delightfully does! We were pleasantly surprised by the terrific setting and great food. All our dishes were plentiful and yummy. And we shall be back! 'Cant understand why the restaurant wasnt packed on a Thursday night. It deserves to be!Special Features:
- Amazing BrunchCuisineCowboyVIPDined on 6/21/2014I knew nothing of this place except that it served brunch and was open in a moment of hunger. What a surprise. A potato cake with a soft-boiled egg on top was surrounded by the most amazing crispy fried kale (I could have eaten of bucket of that stuff). Soft chickpea flour cakes were topped with spicy harissa and the most deliciously creamy scrambled eggs. There was an excellent ratatouille and eggs as well. The server suggested a chelada which seemed like an insane idea until we both realized we wanted one. The tall paprika spiked beer cocktail came with a salt and pepper rim and hit the spot in a way I can't quite describe. Honestly, it perhaps the best brunch I've ever had. And a very cool room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!MixalusaVIPDined on 6/17/2014Ate there for the first time this week. The service was impeccable, the food was excellent, and it has a great ambiance. It wasn't very crowded, and that made me sad, because this place should be doing amazingly well, especially since they made the Bay Area top 100 list. I would recommend this place to anyone.Special Features:
- shimnoVIPDined on 6/14/2014Food was wonderful, however most wines were very expensive with almost no wines in the low or moderate price range. for this reason I would not go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnermarcorabelliniDined on 6/7/2014A whole lot better than expected. I thought it was going to be "foodie-snooty" based on the menu that was online, but the actual menu was much more real with a nice selection of things to choose from. The only complaint was the noise. For some reason the buildings along Valencia are natural echo chambers and something I've never really come to tolerate. I should sell sound deadening and retire early. We were near the front door, which helped a bit I'm guessing. I was glad we weren't farther in. Other than that we were all really pleased with the food and wine and deserts. Service was attentive but not intrusive. We'd definitely go again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/5/2014Poor service and mediocre food had us questioning how this made a top 100 list.
- Fantastic dining experiencerhysticlightDined on 5/31/2014Everything from the incredible food to the amazing service was superb here. The dishes are interesting and creative and the staff are very knowledgeable about every dish and wine that they sell. With such an extensive wine list I was really impressed how my server was able to instantly provide at least 5 thoughtful wine recommendations around my price point that fit my description and the food we were having. Fantastic dining experience and would highly recommend to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not that greatCourtVIPDined on 5/30/2014Service was slow initially and the food was ok but not really that amazing. I've been here twice now. I don't think I'd do it again.
- St. SubparOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/30/2014Appetizer came out after 15 minutes which was fair for a Friday night. The entrees however came out 30 minutes after the appetizer. The quail was cold (like it had been sitting for a while) and the Halibut was overcooked which gave it the texture of canned tuna fish.Special Features:
- Bucketlist New YorkBucketlistNewYorkVIPDined on 5/24/2014I came to SF for Memorial Day weekend, and decided to search for a fantastic restaurant, and fortunately that is just what I found. The Infatuation recommended this restaurant, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I was pleasantly surprised to see that their menu changes daily. Super exciting. All the food was fresh and unique. I highly recommend this for all foodies out there. Although service was fairly slow, the cuisine made up for it. For pictures of my NYC adventures, please visit instagram: @bucketlistNY@gmail.comSpecial Features:
- So-soerinmariaVIPDined on 5/23/2014Perhaps it was an off night, but I didn't find this place to be that great. Food and service was mediocre.
- MikeVDined on 5/22/2014While service could have been better (spotty service, friendly but too casual attention to our table) our party enjoyed the ambience, wine and food. A bit of a diamond in the rough, but there are aspects (e.g. substantial wine list, thoughtful pairing recommendations) that require little or no polish. I would definitely recommend this neighborhood restaurant to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent small platesLetsEatOutVIPDined on 5/20/2014My initial impression was that the menu was somewhat limited - there are several appetizers or starters, but only four entrees. My husband loved the bone marrow appetizer, which is served with incredible warm, buttered dark bread. The lamb meatballs were as good as other reviews have described, and the squid was delicious. The entree we ordered, Chicken #1, was described as fried chicken, but it was not traditional crispy fried chicken-it was good, but not great. And the dessert, a poppy seed torte, was not exciting. The wine list is extensive and says that ALL wines under $100 can be ordered by the half bottle, but this was not explained to us. We read it only after we had ordered wine by the glass. Staff could explain more fully.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second timesusbuzzVIPDined on 5/12/2014This was our second time eating at St. Vincent. We loved it the first time so decided to return with friends. Everyone really enjoyed their food except for me. My meal was fine, but the steak was a bit tough. My husband had had this dish on our first visit and highly recommended. i would definitely return.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceSeeksevensDined on 5/10/2014I have been here twice and had amazing experiences both time. The food is varied and incredible across the board - favorite this time were the ham steak. You can also get 1/2 bottle of any wine for 1/2 the price which we did to sample some lovely CA wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great starters and winesmm12Dined on 5/10/2014Our starters (hello pretzel!) were great, as was the extensive wine list. Our main courses were nothing special, though. I would come back as I like the wine and ambiance.Special Features:
- Some real hits, great wine, serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 5/9/2014Really nice place - cute ambience, if tightly packed (tables are less than a foot from each other). Service was great, and they have a great wine list esp by the glass, and give tastings which is always appreciated! Food was a mixed bag, with some items being simply amazing (both deviled eggs - beet/horseradish and curried, bone marrow, and skirt steak were fantastic), but the much anticipated lamb meatballs were lukewarm and kind of bland. Being a huge meatball fan, and with meatballs being pretty ubiquitous on the dining scene these days, that was a letdown. Table next to us like the fried chicken. They get my vote because they are creative and take chances, and are super nice. Bonus - you can buy wine directly from them!Special Features:
- Not as excited about restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/8/2014-as I thought I'd be. Many others on Valencia have menus we prefer.Special Features:
- Not so greatfoodie24Dined on 5/6/2014I had a great meal here in 2013. The meal this week was unexpectedly mediocre. The fennel salad was great, the pulled pork with chips was also very good, but my hanger steak was tough and lifeless. My companion's pasta meal was bland. Stick to the starters was our conclusion. We paid a big bill for some uninspiring food!Special Features:
- Outstanding!!luv2wineDined on 5/1/2014Everything about this restaurant is beyond exceptional!! The ambiance is friendly, inviting, laid back, while the food is unique, delectable, and exciting!!! Wine selection is crazy good and the service is excellent!!Special Features:
- The following 150 reviews are from the St. Vincent reviews archive.
- Understated GemMuonDined on 4/25/2014St. Vincent is an under appreciated gem of a restaurant. The wine program is brilliant. You can try before committing to a glass. And since they sell retail, if you like it, you can take it home. Beyond the wine, the food is original and expertly executed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They Tried Hard - Maybe too hard...SFOtoNYCtravellerDined on 4/12/2014Great wine list, and they were also helpful in providing advice in what to try with wine and food. The issue was only with the food. We tried 4 things. Neither of us liked 3 of them. It wasn't that the dishes were done poorly, it was that they tried way too hard to cram too many flavors into these things where everything was just off. The three stars are for recognizing that sometimes you just don't like or agree with a chef's taste buds or preparations. In particular we liked the BBD appetizer, but the fluke was cut wrong so it was chewy, the Fried Chicken was tender but tasted of liquid smoke and the ice cream with burn honey was good but the olive oil made the whatever it touched bitter. Would go again for drinksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wine whine!!zingeoffVIPDined on 4/12/2014This very trendy spot is about tasting pricier French and Italian wines...kind of unusual amidst the abundance of great New World wines available locally. The idea is that you can buy half of a bottle, and, if you like it, you can buy the rest or pass. The menu is very limited, including a good array of starters, with a short entree list, lead by fried chicken. To say the least, the menu is largely out of whack with the wine orientation...one would have expected French or italian styled food or at least Cal-Med. Worth the effort if you are interested in the wine list.Special Features:
- A Collection of GoodnessFoodie4lifeDined on 4/7/2014Thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience at St Vincent. The food was exquisite and delicious. Very creative approach of ingredients that came together really nicely. Outstanding fried chicken!!! The crust was dark and rich with paprika and the meat was moist and succulent. I love finding something I have to go back for. But the menu changes frequently so I might have to try the latest special. David Lynch's wine program is a joy to devour. Lots of unique bright white options, a European flare to the selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional food, attractive spaceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/3/2014Fresh and seasonal food in pleasingly inventive and creative combinations. Serving sizes were perfect - not too big so you have room to try multiple dishes, and not too small so that there was enough bites to savor each one. The wine and beer list showed a deep knowledge of the offerings and the proprietor was kind enough to help guide us skillfully with our choices. I am a vegetarian and there were more items to choose from on the menu than I could possibly eat in one sitting - definitely a plus! The recycled wood furniture in the modern setting is pleasing to the eye and the soul and r&b music on their sound system wasn't too loud so as to interfere with your conversation. We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulous mealfrannymaxDined on 4/2/2014st. vincent is a true gem. the menu, service and overall experience was so positive. the staff is knowledgable and helpful without being pushy and the fare was so delicious! we tried a number of items and every one of them was outstanding. it is clear that st. vincent uses quality ingredients and puts alot of thought and energy into preparing and serving the fare. the wine list was impressive and also very accessible. thanks for a great evening, i will definitely be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect low key birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/2/2014Been wanting to try St Vincent's for a while. Came for my birthday and was not disappointed. This seems like a great spot for either a special occasion or a low key glass of wine. We shared several dishes including the bone marrow and carnitas which was incredible. I found the wine list a bit overwhelming but our waitress was extremely knowledgeable and made some great recommendations. There weren't that many wines availed by the glass but were several half bottles available which was perfect for my party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Swing and a misssfoodieVIPDined on 4/2/2014I appreciate the creativity in the menu, but the resulting food missed the mark. "Sweetbreads on an english muffin w/ munster + kumquat jelly" sounded bad, so I figured it had to be better than it sounded. It wasn't. The muffins (store-bought?!) became gummy when saturated with gravy. The sweetbreads were quite tasty, but the cheese and and the jelly did not meld with them and were just unpleasant spikes of flavor. The blood sausage wasn't bloody enough, so it tasted like a pretty normal pork sausage. The rest of the dish was great, though. Service was fantastic, and the wine list is really interesting. Our server provided great guidance. Seating, uncomfortable; decor, kind of cheap and amateurish. The final tab was quite high.Special Features:
- Food's Good TooOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/1/2014For a place that features wine, the food is surprisingly good. The spicy fried chicken and biscuit is excellent, but the other items on the menu are more creative combinations of ingredients that are well prepared and well executed.Special Features:
- Amazing!BaronDined on 3/22/2014So delicious. So professional. Totally amazing. The food was AWESOME! The servers even make way for you when you walk to the restroom! I have never seen that in SF other than Fleur De Lys. I freaking LOVED St Vincent. Well done you guys!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.