St. John's Restaurant
1278 Market St.
Chattanooga, TN 37402Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
St. John's Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.stjohnsrestaurant.com/restaurant.php
- Phone: 4232664400x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Please note reservations for parties of 11 or more cannot be made online.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Daniel Lindley
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: St. John's Restaurant offers two private dining room options. The Thomas Johnson Room accommodates up to 16 guests and the R.H. Hunt Room accommodates up to 50 guests. Food and beverage minimums apply.
- Private Party Contact: Josh Carter 423-266-4400x
A word from St. John's Restaurant
Chattanooga's most acclaimed restaurant, St. John's Restaurant serves inventive Regional American cuisine from Chef Rebecca Barron in a elegant, historic setting. St. John's superb staff will provide you with a warm and remarkable dining experience and delight you with an extensive and eclectic selection of wines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
St. John's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Chattanooga ›
St. John's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
123 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (108)romantic (86)notable wine list (71)fit for foodies (69)neighborhood gem (28)hot spot (7)good for groups (6)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Memorable EveningLov2eatDined on 8/29/2014They(all) made our 9100 day anniversary memorable! Our waitress was knowledgable , as well as attentive. The rabbit was boneless and done in a very tasty and unusual way. Expensive, but worth every penny.Special Features:
- Really great find!ChefchristopherturnerDined on 8/28/2014My wife and I ate serious foodies and travel just to go out to eat at great restaurants. We were traveling through chattanooga with not much expectation of finding anything great but we were pleasantly surprised by St Johns and we would highly recommend. The only complaint is the coffee needs some work, very bitter. Overall 4.5 stars for service and food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpectacularHDWNPWDined on 8/28/2014We moved from NYC to TN and were SO happy to find this gem of a restaurant. Everything was spectacular by NYC standards! Farm to table, local ingredients are always a win for us and the dishes were creative and full of amazing tastes. We will be back!Special Features:
- Great experienceSmeatDined on 8/23/2014We went for our anniversary and had an excellent meal with matching service. The pork rind appetizer was very good as were all the entrees. I would highly recommend St Johns for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special timeNancyDined on 8/23/2014We had a wonderful dinner celebration here...this is a special place for Chattanoogans and visitors. The food was wonderful, ambience perfect and staff was attentive. I would absolutely recommend this spot.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinner for vegansWholefoodplantbasedDined on 8/22/2014A delicious salad, terrific vegetable spaghetti, and the warm chocolate pudding outstanding. Plus very attentive service, and an excellent glass of cabernet. Love getting a taste of prosecco too. Quite enjoyable.Special Features:
- OutstandingFoodquestDined on 8/16/2014Best dinner I've had in a long time. The wait staff was perfect. I never wanted for anything and didn't really notice they were there. Highly reccomend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Special OccasionfinnDined on 8/16/2014From the greeting at the door until the end of the night, our meal was perfect. Everyone we spoke to from the woman that showed us to our table to the bartender and the people that brought the food out not to mention the waiter were friendly and professional. It was our anniversary and they helped make it a special evening. The food was fantastic all around and a few times a person would bring out a little something from the chef for us to try. We tried things we might not have otherwise and it was all wonderful. This restaurant is highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good evening butBoomerDined on 8/16/2014The resurant was very busy on our 7 pm seating time and it slowed. It strained the kitchen and the wait staff. Our food was VERY slow 2 1/2 hours total time and, disappointed as it was delivered cold. The food was excellent however, and it's what we've come to expect here. Watch the seating times for best serviceSpecial Features:
- FoodieDined on 8/14/2014We understood that this restaurant was sold by the chef owner, but was assured things were the same. Not true! The food was good but expectations we're let down. If we had not been there before it would have been ok, but we have been there before and there was a difference in the favors of the food. Not quite as exciting as Daniels interpretation.Special Features:
- Ridiculously good.PastorBDined on 8/13/2014Very seldom have I enjoyed a meal in which each and every bite was extraordinary. This was such a meal. Service was impeccable. This was for an anniversary dinner, the St Johns staff accommodated a special request of allowing me to have a bouquet of roses delivered and waiting on our table. The daily printed menu wished us a happy anniversary. The food quality and presentation make the price range worth every penny. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top ShelfchattdinerDined on 8/13/2014St. John's is an exceptional restaurant which makes full use of one's sensory system. The food is beautiful and does not just satiate one's appetite but memorably opens up ones comprehension to the vast potential of food's splendid flavors. The service is phenomenal and the level of expertise by the entire staff was remarkable and immensely helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wolfeaterDined on 8/12/2014I've lived in Chattanooga all my life and I've seen restaurants come and go. I hope St. John's is here forever! Best I've had in Chattanooga! Great service too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place, nice atmosphere.MCACUBDined on 8/11/2014We ordered the smoked mushrooms as an appetizer instead of a side dish...they were delicious. The duck is great too.Special Features:
- Magnificent meallaserVIPDined on 8/9/2014Service was outstanding! Wine list impeccable! Food the best in Chattanooga! Amazing evening with friends! Thank you St. John'sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb ExperienceEmanVIPDined on 8/9/2014A favorite place to dine...great flavors and presentation...always welcoming and comfortable serviceSpecial Features:
- Gourmet Food in a Small CityJillVIPDined on 8/7/2014Our meal was wonderful. The restaurant is quiet and appointed well. The service was above average and the food was truly excellent. The portions were generous and the plate was lovely to look at.Special Features:
- Just perfect!CazabbagirlDined on 8/7/2014Wanted to top off a great business week with an associate from the San Francisco Bay Area. Server knowledgeable and professional. Food presentation and taste outstanding. I had the pork and grits with peach chutney. Others had chicken and beef wagyu. Husband was so delighted he was offering to share! Gordon lettuces salad and heirloom tomato salad were fresh and crisp. Only disappointment was no room for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best meals of my lifeFoodieDined on 8/2/2014If you are a true foodie, you have to try this place. My husband and I went there for our one year anniversary and it made our day so special. We live in Atlanta, so as you can imagine we've had our share of fine dining, this restaurant beats them all. Our proudest moment (as young foodies) was being able to dine at Maze in New York City and I have to say St. John's gives it a run for their money. We love this place! Such a gold mine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maybe we just hit the wrong dayHinkDined on 8/2/2014Not quite sure how they ranked so high unless we were just on a not so high day. I had the $40 Sea Bass and it was very fishy tasting, my wife had the wagyu beef and did not like the sauce it was prepared with and she is a real sauce person. I am guessing we just hit a wrong day. I doubt I will go back if in Chattanooga again.Special Features:
- Nice dinner outOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/2/2014I took my husband to St. John's this weekend for a special birthday dinner. However, with what we ordered, the flavor combinations did not work and overall the food was rather bland. It seemed like a lot a lot of fuss by the chef creating a lot of expectation with beautiful presentation, but the taste was not there. My bacon-wrapped monkfish was over-cooked and the bacon flavor really didn't work. Same with my husband's organic free-range chicken as well as both of our appetizers. I rated the restaurant two stars because the food is the primary purpose for dining out; the food was mediocre at best given the price point.Special Features:
- True ReputationMemphisMemeDined on 8/1/2014I was told that St. John's was a top choice for a special occasion dinner. It was exactly as promised. The meal was exquisite and the service excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!TgczahorDined on 7/30/2014This restaurant fit the bill for our anniversary. The food was excellent as well as the service. I would highly recommend even though it's a bit pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef Barron One of Best AnywhereEmanVIPDined on 7/26/2014Superb from food to service...Chattanooga is very fortunate to have a restaurant of this caliber.Special Features:
- OMGChattMarioDined on 7/26/2014Amazing! Don't fill up on the tasty bread, other stuff is too good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food-Just not enoughChatlineDined on 7/26/2014Service was great as expected. Food also excellent, only issue is the portion size, considering the price the portions are on the small side. If you do not get an appetizer and dessert you will leave hungry! So, to get all three a minimum of $60/person without any drinks. Great place, just needs larger portions.Special Features:
- fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/23/2014Food is excellent. Our server (Lea, if I'm spelling the name correctly) was knowledgeable and friendly, and was highly attentive without being overbearing. The chef was extremely creative, and our steaks were cooked perfectly to order. Save room for dessert!Special Features:
- Buddy & AngieBandAfromSCDined on 7/19/2014Celebrated 40th Anniversary at St. John's. Food, drink, service: all excellent!!! Will definitely revisit again in the future. Will definitely recommend to friends and family. You cannot miss with this choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A true surprise!FfpedVIPDined on 7/19/2014Beautiful space, amazing menu, incredible presentation, wonderful flavors and attention to detail!! Compliments to the chef and the kitchen!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014We started our one-month driving vacation in June with this wonderful restaurant. We had the 5 course Chef's Tasting menu and each course was fantastic. Heirloom tomatoes, perfectly aged beef, creative and tasty fresh local market vegetables. Our waiter was fabulous, knowledgeable and attentive but not hovering. It was such a perfect evening that one month later, just before returning home, we ate here again! And not a bite was bad! This is a terrific place, and if you have a chance you should definitely go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealChasDined on 7/19/2014This was our second time at St. John's. Everything was perfect for this special occasion. Thanks to Drew and all the great staff.Special Features:
- Food & Service Superb!CityMagazineFoodieDined on 7/17/2014The Duck and Beef tenderloin were the best our table had ever eaten...Can't wait to get back!Special Features:
- ChattanoogaDined on 7/16/2014Great food, great service, best restaurant in ChattanoogaSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/12/2014Always the best. Never disappoints. When we come for a special meal we wonder why we don't come more often. It's expensive but we always feel like it was worth every dollar. Leave there happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BestLurleneDined on 7/12/2014I love this place and always dine there for taste experience and the unhurried atmosphere. I never feel rushed, always feel pampered by friendly staff.Special Features:
- parkingdinerplusDined on 7/12/2014The restaurant needs valet parking as there is no convenient parking in the area. Paid parking is available but they did not tell me in advance that I would have to pay for parking and I had no cash for parking. Also, the tables are too close together. I felt like I was dining with the people next to me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEST FOOD IN CHATTANOOGA!jonnyDined on 7/11/2014The food quality was top notch and the staff was professional and polite. We had a great experience! Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful experienceOldManDined on 7/11/2014Our First visit to this restaurant but it will not be our last. We have found a new special occasion place to celebrate. Our server (Ryan H.) was simply outstanding. Every staff member that we came in contact with was pleasant and helpful. The food was first class and was elegantly served. The chef acknowledged our first visit by preparing a special appetizer as a welcome gift.Special Features:
- No doubtculinarian55Dined on 7/11/2014Without question the best fine dining in Chattanooga.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/7/2014St. John's remains one of my favorite restaurants in the world, and I live in a far larger city, and travel internationally at least once a month. Really, Chattanoogans don't know what they're getting (or missing!), and for far less than comparable meals elsewhere.Special Features: