St. John's Restaurant
1278 Market St.
Chattanooga, TN 37402Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
St. John's Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.stjohnsrestaurant.com/restaurant.php
- Phone: (423) 266-4400
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Please note reservations for parties of 11 or more cannot be made online.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Daniel Lindley
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: St. John's Restaurant offers two private dining room options. The Thomas Johnson Room accommodates up to 16 guests and the R.H. Hunt Room accommodates up to 50 guests. Food and beverage minimums apply.
- Private Party Contact: Josh Carter 423-266-4400x
A word from St. John's Restaurant
Chattanooga's most acclaimed restaurant, St. John's Restaurant serves inventive Regional American cuisine from Chef Rebecca Barron in a elegant, historic setting. St. John's superb staff will provide you with a warm and remarkable dining experience and delight you with an extensive and eclectic selection of wines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
St. John's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Chattanooga ›
St. John's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
114 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (100)fit for foodies (82)romantic (79)notable wine list (51)neighborhood gem (26)good for groups (22)hot spot (10)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (1)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- beautiful timeJoyceDined on 11/22/2014We had a wonderful time ! Our server was knowledgable and attentive. Salads and appetizers were some of the best we have had In the US!! We had a great time and will be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and ambiance was excellent.AnniversaryDined on 11/17/2014Thanks for helping my husband and I celebrate our 7 year wedding anniversary. We were pleasantly surprised, from the printing of "Happy Anniversary" on the menu to the little food sampling surprises from the chef during our dinner. Actually, we were pretty full with the bread, first course and the two samplings the chef had for us, that we barely ate the main course, but the filet mignon was excellent the next day, sliced and put on a salad. The wine was also excellent. When we make our next trip up your ways from Florida, we would be happy to call again. Thanks again for a wonderful experience!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful findPainterladyDined on 11/15/2014Food, service and ambiance were all spectacular. Our server, Misty was knowledgeable, and always on top of things without hovering. It was very romantic indeed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deliciousLovetoeatwithwineDined on 11/15/2014Every thing was delicious. Well presented, well blended. I Was afraid it might be too over the top for me, a fussy eater. I was surprised and i loved it all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good meals, high pricesDouglasVIPDined on 11/8/2014We celebrated my mother's birthday. Each dish was excellent. For 5 people, the bill was $220 without alcohol.Special Features:
- Slipping a littleJosephDined on 11/8/2014This experience did not live up to my previous experiences at St. John's. The service was okay, but not excellent as it usually is. For example, it took a little while for bread to be brought to the table and we had to ask a few times for water refills. Waiter was very nice and knowledgeable but seemed a little overstretched. The food was good, but not great. May have just been an offnight.Special Features:
- the besttastefirstVIPDined on 11/4/2014This experience was perfect. The chef kept all ingredients that could cause allergic reactions far away from our table. The food was beautifully presented, well seasoned, and perfectly cooked. My duck was the best I have eaten in ten years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experiencefoodloverDined on 11/1/2014Took a date and we had a wonderful time. The food was the best I have had in Chattanooga.Special Features:
- Worth the wait!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/1/2014Dined at St. John's on 11/1. We were in Chattanooga for a visit with a favorite aunt. I had read all the reviews on line. Although, overall the experience did not disappoint, there were a few down moments. My aunt is 85 years old, and they had us climb a flight of steps to go upstairs. Our table was right on the corner as you get to the top of the steps. There was a lot of traffic. The pumpkin soup with lobster was out of this world! We had to wait a long time for out entrees which were all excellent. The server apologized (without knowing we were getting a bit antsy) for the delay. All in all, it was a very good experience with outstanding food and in my opinion worth the money. They made us feel special on arrival and leaving.Special Features:
- Fine Dining: Chattanooga's BestTravelingGourmetDined on 11/1/2014Understated historical ambiance with Southern hospitality that was attentive and open; fresh, locally sourced food expertly prepared & artfully presented. A delight and pleasure of a place to share the celebration of my wife's birthday.Special Features:
- Fantastic Placerodeo90Dined on 10/25/2014This is a an amazing place. The food is all local, and the chef is fantastic. We've rarely had better food. This is an upscale place, so dress nice and expect to pay a bit higher price, but it's worth it. A great romantic date night choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 29th birthday celebrationCarolynDined on 10/25/2014We had a wonderfult evening celebrating our sons 29th Birthday. He lives in Atlanta but loves to dine at St. John's. Our dinner was perfect as always! The sea bass was cooked to perfection, duck wonderful and my sons filet excellent. Our server Ashley was so great. Her recommendations spot on and her bubbly personality made us all want to ask for her on our next dining experience. A great Birthday cake was so special. Lovely evening.Special Features:
- Upscale southern cuisinerussells887Dined on 10/24/2014My husband and I ate here while on a special trip to Chattanooga. We were pleased with the overall menu choices and enjoyed a fabulous dinner together. I highly recommend the Dancing Fern Cheese starter!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wow, just wowcrimthannDined on 10/20/2014Wonderful food, drinks, and extremely friendly wait staff. Will absolutely return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Below expectations, overhypedScenicCityGemHunterDined on 10/20/2014Cons: There is ambiance, and then there is dark. Bring a flashlight to read the menu. Overcooked fish, undercooked Wagyu beef. Side dish order did not arrive with dinner. Cork chunks served in the wine. Unimpressive desert menu. Pros: Good starters, sides menu. Excellent service (other than forgetting the side and serving cork in the wine). Nice small touches, customized menu wishing us a Happy Anniversary, extra chef inspired bites before dinner. Good use of local cheese supplier. We were expecting to eat at the best restaurant in Chattanooga (according to trip advisor), it didn't come close. We have only been sampling restaurants here for a year, but there are at least 10 other local restaurants that do a better job.
- great dinnerooltewahDined on 10/18/2014First time visiting the restaurant. Atmosphere was great and the food was amazing. For sure will visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice nightLove2EatDined on 10/18/2014Sat in front room with view of the street. Blah! Food was good-very good. I enjoyed the flounder. Too much salt in cheese grits. Salad very good. Nice wine, beer selection. Waited too long for main course but waiter was attentive, professional. Dessert was nicely done. Overall a pretty good night but but not remarkable. I will try St. John's again at some point.Special Features:
- Amazing food and wineFrequentDinerVIPDined on 10/14/2014The food, wine and service were spectacular. Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jvb52Dined on 10/11/2014The food was excellent, the service impeccable and the whole experience memorable. I would definitely recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect ChoicethankyoucanihaveanotherDined on 10/10/2014Celebrated our anniversary there. Will celebrate it there again next year. Fantastic service we were 100% blown away by the food. Our new favorite place..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the 130 mile drivetravelers2anywhereDined on 10/4/2014My husband and I drove from Nashville to Chattanooga for a weekend getaway. The highlight of the trip was our dinner at St John's. Server Leah, was friendly and attentive, without being intrusive. Space was very nice; we ate upstairs overlooking the bar and large arched window. Food was outstanding -- one of the best meals we've had in a very long time. From small elements, like the sorghum butter for the bread to the composition of the entree -- sea bass over creamy risotto that contrasted with the tangy green tomato broth -- all were perfectly executed.Special Features:
- Al St. John'sCrab1VIPDined on 10/4/2014St Johns is an excellent restraunt. I always enjoy eating there when visiting Chattanooga. The only fault I found was the lobster salad was too salty. This was an anomaly. I highly recommend this restraunt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Belated Birthday DinnerRecommendDined on 10/3/2014We chose St Johns for my birthday dinner. We ordered the tasting menu. First course was toasted bread with a brie and honey truffle . It was so good. The brie melted in your mouth. Second course was grilled endive with orange beats. The endive was very bitter but the orange beats were sweet and easy to eat. Third course was my favorite, it was a ravioli stuffed with apples and ricotta topped pork belly. It was heavenly. Fourth was pork belly that tasted like the best b-bque. My entree course was venison and my husbands sea bass. Both were good although I don't care for venison. Dessert was chocolate cake for me and fried apple pie for my husband. Our dinner over all was good, service was excellent. It is defiantly the best in the area.Special Features:
- Food and AllergiesGeorgiaPeachDined on 10/2/2014The food was wonderful!! I appreciate the knowledge and attentativeness of the wait staff and chef about my food allergies. Our server, Jim, was very careful to check if he was not sure if an item had gluten in it or not. The chef prepared the food so well that I didn't feel like I was deprived of great tasting food! Thank you St. John's for a wonderful evening and amazing food!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food in ChattanoogaJessbiceDined on 9/27/2014Food was excellent; waiter was knowledgeable and knew the menu; ambiance was perfect. We had a group of 12 and the service was impeccable. Highly recommend the beef tartar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best restaurant in this city!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Me and my wife had dinner and enjoyed our first wedding anniversary here and absolutely was blown away by the food and service. By far the finest restaurant in this city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food, too noisyBorregoDined on 9/26/2014Food is one of the best I have eaten in Chattanooga, Service is outstanding, my only complain is the level of noise in the place... maybe just too crowded on a Friday night... but I did not really like that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great experienceRussVIPDined on 9/25/2014This is one of the top rated restaurants in Chattanooga, and it did not disappoint. Unique protein choices, and a seasonal menu made this a great find for our visit. Definitely book this one early, it will be worth it.Special Features:
- St. JohnsGteethDined on 9/25/2014My wife and I had dinner there and the entire event was relaxing and the the service was very good.We like to be taken care of and the staff had this down to perfection. The food is always great. A very good date night for my wife and I. We will visit often.Special Features:
- AmazingFoodiesDined on 9/20/2014My wife and I celebrated our 1st anniversary with a dinner at St. John's. It was truly one of the best meals we have ever had at any restaurant. The food and the service are excellent!! I have been raving about it for the last 3 days.Special Features:
- Consistently greatEmanVIPDined on 9/13/2014I think St. John is a great regional restaurant, better than anything in atlanta, birmingham or nashville. We much prefer it to Bacchanalia in Atlanta or Highlands in Birmingham.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Experience0oo0Dined on 9/12/2014No complaints. Service, food, cocktails and experience was all wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VisitorslaurienaplesflVIPDined on 9/2/2014We were in Chattanooga for one night and wanted to have dinner with an acquaintance we hadn't seen for a long time. This was a perfect place! Our server, Brian, gave us just the right amount of attentiveness to allow us the chance to talk. He was also most helpful in explaining the dishes and having a necessary dietary change made to one of them. The food was unique and delicious. Our friend, a long time resident of Chattanooga, had never been there. She, like us, will certainly return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable EveningLov2eatDined on 8/29/2014They(all) made our 9100 day anniversary memorable! Our waitress was knowledgable , as well as attentive. The rabbit was boneless and done in a very tasty and unusual way. Expensive, but worth every penny.Special Features:
- Really great find!ChefchristopherturnerDined on 8/28/2014My wife and I ate serious foodies and travel just to go out to eat at great restaurants. We were traveling through chattanooga with not much expectation of finding anything great but we were pleasantly surprised by St Johns and we would highly recommend. The only complaint is the coffee needs some work, very bitter. Overall 4.5 stars for service and food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpectacularHDWNPWDined on 8/28/2014We moved from NYC to TN and were SO happy to find this gem of a restaurant. Everything was spectacular by NYC standards! Farm to table, local ingredients are always a win for us and the dishes were creative and full of amazing tastes. We will be back!Special Features:
- Great experienceSmeatDined on 8/23/2014We went for our anniversary and had an excellent meal with matching service. The pork rind appetizer was very good as were all the entrees. I would highly recommend St Johns for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special timeNancyDined on 8/23/2014We had a wonderful dinner celebration here...this is a special place for Chattanoogans and visitors. The food was wonderful, ambience perfect and staff was attentive. I would absolutely recommend this spot.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinner for vegansWholefoodplantbasedDined on 8/22/2014A delicious salad, terrific vegetable spaghetti, and the warm chocolate pudding outstanding. Plus very attentive service, and an excellent glass of cabernet. Love getting a taste of prosecco too. Quite enjoyable.Special Features:
- OutstandingFoodquestDined on 8/16/2014Best dinner I've had in a long time. The wait staff was perfect. I never wanted for anything and didn't really notice they were there. Highly reccomend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.