St. John's Meeting Place
1278 Market St.
Chattanooga, TN 37402Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
St. John's Meeting Place
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://stjohnsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4232664400x
- Hours of Operation:
Happy Hour: Monday-Friday 5:00-7:00pm
Dinner: Monday-Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday-Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Please note reservations for parties of 11 or more cannot be made online.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Global, International, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Chef Daniel Lindley
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: 13th St.
- Public Transit: Chattanooga's complimentary electric shuttle has a stop at the St. John's building.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking available behind the St. John's building and on the King Street side of the building. Limited street parking is also available.
A word from St. John's Meeting Place
Open since 2004, Meeting Place has become Chef Rebecca Barron's platform to explore international flavors and ingredients that continue to shape America's melting pot cuisine. An evolving variety of small plates and entrees encourage conversation and stimulate the senses. An open kitchen and warm glow create an energetic ambiance. St John's kitchens have received four nominations for Best Chef Southeast by the James Beard Foundation in 2009, 2010, 2012 and 2013.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
St. John's Meeting Place - Best Restaurants in Chattanooga ›
St. John's Meeting Place reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (45)special occasion (30)neighborhood gem (26)romantic (23)notable wine list (20)good for groups (18)hot spot (11)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (4)great for lunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Happy hour delight!CazabbagirlDined on 10/22/2014My husband and I met early after work with a 5:15 reservation. We had several appetizers to share: the Lee & Gordon lettuces salad, mac & cheese, burger, fries with basil aoli, shrimp rolls and the Sequatchie cove bleu cheese. Everything was flavorful, fresh and interesting. Couldn't have been happier. Found my favorite cocktail ever. Will be coming back again.Special Features:
- Very special nightBhamRunnerDined on 10/18/2014My wife and I celebrated our First Year Anniversary at Meeting Place. St. John's next door was unfortunately not in our budget. Meeting Place was an excellent second choice. They seated us upstairs, which is quieter and more intimate, and the service staff was excellent. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our meals. The food quality was excellent at a more affordable price, and the wait staff went out of its way to help us enjoy the evening. I had the quail, which was fantastic. My wife ordered the scallops, but did not want the bell pepper side that came with it. The kitchen allowed her to substitute a side from a different dish, so she essentially created her own dish. Great restaurants let you do that. Thank you St. John's Meeting Place.Special Features:
- quick night outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014the food here is always well prepared and the menu is ever changing. Service and ambiance are something that they pay particularly close attention to so that it can be enjoyed by all.Special Features:
- chatgatorDined on 10/16/2014I ate there frequently, 2 people and groups of 10, always good with great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingPrftexDined on 10/11/2014The Meeting Place has been a stalwart on Chattanooga's South side for years now, and has always been good, but my most recent meal there was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Gemkmd001Dined on 10/7/2014What a great meal. The Brussels sprout slaw with the pork belly starter alone would be worth going back to Chattanooga for. But, my bacon-wrapped quail on jalapeno grits was really fantastic as well, and the dessert of the day, a fried apple pie with Jack Daniel's ice cream, was one of the best we've had. A really extensive wine list to go along with the food choices completely seals the deal. This is the more laid back sister restaurant to the more formal (ie white tablecloths) St John's Restaurant next door. We were really glad we chose this one as it was exactly, exactly what we wanted. Top marks :)Special Features:
- Great dining experienceladolcevitaatlantaVIPDined on 10/6/2014We walked from the downtown Hampton to this restaurant and arrived in time to enjoy 1/2 off prices on appetizers. We had a fresh gulf shrimp roll in a mini bun with chopped celery, onion, aioli and dill. (Think lobster roll style.) Delicious!! Our second appetizer was a small bowl of mac and cheese w/prosciutto ham and truffle. Also good. One entree was sauteed sea scallops served with peperonata, shallots, corn, and okra over cous cous, with a side of homemade parsnip french fries. Second entree was the roasted chicken au jus with autumn veggies and potato gnocchi. Both entrees outstanding. The kitchen and chef are shared with St John's (the expensive side), so food prep is about the same, but better prices and less formal. Good service.Special Features:
- LadyLDined on 10/2/2014As always, had a wonderful dinner at Meeting Place. They have added a combo for live music on Thursday night which was a very nice touch for the evening.Special Features:
- Meeting Place ChattanoogawagnernetDined on 10/2/2014We have been to Meeting Place many times since moving to Chattanooga. The servers are friendly and the service is excellent. Great entrees and deserts. We also enjoy the happy hour wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HokieDined on 9/27/2014Great dining spot. Love St. John's Meeting Place! Service and food are consistently excellent. Extensive wine list and refreshing cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best In "Nooga for Small PlatesEmanVIPDined on 9/27/2014Varied and interesting selection of small plates...added bonus of the extensive St John Restaurant wine list available to patrons of the Meeting Place.
- One of the best in ChattanoogaMonteirohouseDined on 9/26/2014Yes it is affordable. The food has great quality, full of flavour and freshness. The waiter was very helpfull. We tried the fried goat cheese, the shrimp rolls, the burger (everybody was ording this, cost 10$ and it is deliciously juicy). If you do not want to spend to much money that is a good choice...) Overall a good experience.Special Features:
- Casual yet distinctiveRandolphDined on 9/26/2014Great combination of excellent food, attentive service, yet casual and laid back vibe. Was in town for the Ironman from NYC and this was just a wonderful find. Would eat here reguraly if I lived in the area. I was there with my familiy - two 9 year olds and a 12 year old - and they thought it was great as well - wonderul peach lemonade and the girls shared a spaghetti and meatballs which was perfect for them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just as I hopeddannaDined on 9/19/2014The restaurant was luxurious but casual and the food was very good. I loved my tomato salad, shrimp roll (like a lobster roll), St. John's sundae. Best bite was the truffle honey that came on the cheese plate. Prices were high, but not terrible and no more than is common now, except the quality was better than many places with the same pricing structure. Our server was pretty poor, friendly and knowledgeable, but just slow as hell. She caused the cheese plate to come out at the same time as our first courses and we waited an age on the dessert. Other tables that came in behind us seemed to be getting better service, so I think this was just one server, not a problem of the entire restaurant.Special Features:
- MonaLisaDined on 9/12/2014The food was excellent, and our waiter, Joe, provided outstanding service. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulpgsaltDined on 9/10/2014I had my first dinner at St. John's Meeting Place; it will NOT be my last. I was undecided on entrée so I ask the waiter and he recommend the lamb. It was perfect. Service was always there but never intrusive.Special Features:
- Must Try!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014The Meeting Place is one of my favorite local gems. I've been a handful of times for different occasions and each time was perfect. Their service is stand up and their food is delightful. I recommend it to friends when they ask for suggestions of great places in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A personable & stellar experience!FoodiefanaticDined on 9/5/2014The attention to detail was above expectations ("Happy birthday" printed on our menus for my husband). The staff were incredibly friendly & all wished him a happy birthay as well! The service was excellent, my glass was never empty & the food was so delicious!! Great atmosphere & perfect for a date night! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great overallDinerguy72Dined on 8/30/2014The overall mood was very nice, not too over the top but not too low key either. Could have used one or two less tables to be a bit more intimate. The food and service was top notch, the lamb was excellent and the fillet was the most tender I have had anywhere. Great date night place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kempDined on 8/29/2014thursday nite was jazz and quite loud. food and service was excellent, our waiter Amy saw to everything we could possibly want. Friday was jammed but Amys service and the food was grand. we will return
- Excellent Experience in ChattanoogaBarrettVIPDined on 8/27/2014Very well made and presented for an informal dinner there this week. First time diner there, and all four of us agreed with my own assessments.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun environment, funky menuRoadWarriorAZVIPDined on 8/26/2014I dined relatively late at the Meeting Place and there were a lot of large groups. Being a solo diner, I was concerned that I would get lost in all the hub bub, but instead, I received attentive service and a fun mix of small dishes. The shrimp rolls were perfectly sized bites, and the johnnycakes with duck confit were fantastic. (Everyone serves waffles with savory--I think pancakes are the next big thing.) The cocktail I enjoyed was very well executed and the wine suggestion for later in my meal was just right. I definitely enjoyed my evening here!Special Features:
- Beautiful, as always.GrubLuvDined on 8/15/2014The Meeting Place is our go-to for a great meal in Chattanooga without a huge price tag. And what's more, we discovered their happy hour menu this past time - excellent! The food and service is always spot on and I wouldn't change a thing.Special Features:
- Excellent experienceChrisAndersonDined on 8/1/2014My boyfriend and I needed a romantic night out. This absolutely fit the bill. We were seated in the back, away from other guests, and had tremendous service from the staff and management. We had drinks upstairs in the bar beforehand and were impressed with the service there as well. We will definitely be back and recommend to others!Special Features:
- Nice atmosphere!MaryMDined on 8/1/2014I really liked the atmosphere of St. John's Meeting Place. The food is pretty unique, so if you are a picky eater, it might not be for you. My husband is quite a foodie, and he really enjoyed everything we ate. I feel like the main misstep of this restaurant is that the menu does not adequately show the food, and the servers are not fully familiar with the tastes of each individual dish. I feel as if I was surprised by many of the foods we ordered (which included 2 apps and 2 entrees). I will most likely go back and give St. John's another try, but I will be more aware and ask specific questions about what each meal entails. Service was great though!Special Features:
- ExcellentEmanVIPDined on 7/31/2014This was the most consistent meal we've ever had here....not a miss...every dish was what it should have been...so much fun to order multiple small plates...a bit more coursing of the dishes would have helped from having too much on the table at once...meeting place is in a good place right now.Special Features:
- chattanoogafoodieDined on 7/25/2014Wonderful atmosphere, unique menu, and excellent service! Always outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot that shouldn't be missedWhitsterDined on 7/24/2014The farm-to-table dishes were fresh, flavorful, creative, and satisfying. As a bonus, they have live Jazz on Thursday evenings, making for a perfect date night or small gathering with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place was great!Sammy2279Dined on 7/19/2014We went on a Saturday night before the rush, it wasn't very busy. Everything we had was delicious, including all the drinks. I would highly recommend this restaurant. This is the more laid back of the pair, with St. John's connected to it having the same food but with a little more upscale atmosphere (wear a nice outfit.) I would recommend that for a romantic evening. Personally I enjoy the more casual aesthetic. If you're in Chattannooga, visit this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food and serviceRickVIPDined on 7/15/2014I hosted a large party (12) and everyone was very happy with their selections. All our food was delicious. Our server was very responsive and friendly. The wine list has several overpriced options but if you move up the price list the choices get much better and are less overpriced. All in, a great place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious King SalmonOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/11/2014The King Salmon was delicious and beautifully prepared.Special Features:
- The following 275 reviews are from the St. John's Meeting Place reviews archive.
- Over the top serviceSPMcDined on 6/26/2014When I booked this dinner through OpenTable, I mentioned in the comments it was our 21st anniversary. When we arrived at the restaurant everyone on the service team knew and mentioned about our anniversary. They even printed special menus with "happy anniversary" on the menu and the date. The server, the food runner, the manager - they all wished us a happy anniversary. They even gave us a complimentary glass of champagne when we sat at our cozy, table upstairs. And the food - well - it was amazing. And I loved the custom cocktails. I'll definitely be back and we'll be taking friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh...PittsburgherVIPDined on 5/30/2014I hate to be a naysayer about what has been one of our favorite spots over the past year, but changes in the kitchen, reflected by the new menu, are disappointing. Our dinner Friday night --except for the happy-hour half-price champagne-- was underwhelming. Service, as always, was charming and animated. We will be back, hoping for a resurrection of the former standards.Special Features:
- amazingyummyDined on 5/23/2014We made a reservation but arrived eatly. The were pleased to seat us early. The mac and cheese was amazing! Best burger I have ever had. Hub had lamb tenderloin and he thought it was good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday night.oneof10Dined on 5/16/2014Group of ten gathered. All different dishes not a single complaint. Some first timers; all enjoyed. Would recommend to all who enjoy good food reasonably priced.Special Features:
- WowOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/9/2014I would certainly recommend this based on service, quality of the food and overall friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly Recommendguycibo48Dined on 5/6/2014Awesome selection of food including a variety of small plates and large plates. Nice wine list with specials during certain nights of the week, such as 1/2 price bottles of wine and champagne. Excellent service. Servers were very knowledgeable of food perpetration and wine offerings. We had a group of four and tried several varieties of small plates, food quality was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surprise in ChattanoogatravelrnDined on 4/12/2014What a find! I searched open table for a night out with friends when we came to Chattanooga for the Four Bridges art show. We couldn't have been more pleased with our experience. We all remarked that it was one of our best meals ever! The lamb was the tastiest I've ever had. The service was wonderful, never intrusive, always at hand and with great recommendations. I loved the decor, the paintings really added to the ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ever Changing Menu is GreatdebblsDined on 4/12/2014I go regularly, and have never once had an speck of dissatisfaction. The changing menu is wonderful, and slows the ordering a bit, but who cares. The specialty drinks are always interesting concoctions, and the Spring Sangria offers a refreshing break. Not too sweet, hint of bitterness not usually found in sangria. The pitcher is the better deal over individual glasses. Even if others don't want or like it, others will drink it up. Whether ordering the Veggie plates or others, the menu will be enough, and everything cooked perfectly. Sorghum butter comes out with the delicious bread, though getting plain butter was extremely slow. Cracked pepper offered, but salt and pepper shakers came without a hitch. Great, semi-casual dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and fantastic service!SarahDined on 4/11/2014My husband and I were visiting from out of town and went here for our anniversary dinner. The ambiance and service were perfect for a nice meal together. We got several of the small plates to share - our favorites being the shrimp rolls and the duck confeit with Johnny cakes and syrup. Two totally different tastes, but spectacular! Would highly recommend to anyone in the Chattanooga area looking for a neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.