St. John's Meeting Place
1278 Market St.
Chattanooga, TN 37402Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
St. John's Meeting Place
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://stjohnsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4232664400x
- Hours of Operation:
Happy Hour: Monday-Friday 5:00-7:00pm
Dinner: Monday-Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday-Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Please note reservations for parties of 11 or more cannot be made online.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Global, International, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Chef Daniel Lindley
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: 13th St.
- Public Transit: Chattanooga's complimentary electric shuttle has a stop at the St. John's building.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking available behind the St. John's building and on the King Street side of the building. Limited street parking is also available.
A word from St. John's Meeting Place
Open since 2004, Meeting Place has become Chef Rebecca Barron's platform to explore international flavors and ingredients that continue to shape America's melting pot cuisine. An evolving variety of small plates and entrees encourage conversation and stimulate the senses. An open kitchen and warm glow create an energetic ambiance. St John's kitchens have received four nominations for Best Chef Southeast by the James Beard Foundation in 2009, 2010, 2012 and 2013.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
St. John's Meeting Place - Best Restaurants in Chattanooga ›
St. John's Meeting Place reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (31)special occasion (22)romantic (17)neighborhood gem (15)notable wine list (14)good for groups (13)hot spot (10)vibrant bar scene (6)great for lunch (3)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- MonaLisaDined on 9/12/2014The food was excellent, and our waiter, Joe, provided outstanding service. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulpgsaltDined on 9/10/2014I had my first dinner at St. John's Meeting Place; it will NOT be my last. I was undecided on entrée so I ask the waiter and he recommend the lamb. It was perfect. Service was always there but never intrusive.Special Features:
- Must Try!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014The Meeting Place is one of my favorite local gems. I've been a handful of times for different occasions and each time was perfect. Their service is stand up and their food is delightful. I recommend it to friends when they ask for suggestions of great places in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A personable & stellar experience!FoodiefanaticDined on 9/5/2014The attention to detail was above expectations ("Happy birthday" printed on our menus for my husband). The staff were incredibly friendly & all wished him a happy birthay as well! The service was excellent, my glass was never empty & the food was so delicious!! Great atmosphere & perfect for a date night! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great overallDinerguy72Dined on 8/30/2014The overall mood was very nice, not too over the top but not too low key either. Could have used one or two less tables to be a bit more intimate. The food and service was top notch, the lamb was excellent and the fillet was the most tender I have had anywhere. Great date night place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kempDined on 8/29/2014thursday nite was jazz and quite loud. food and service was excellent, our waiter Amy saw to everything we could possibly want. Friday was jammed but Amys service and the food was grand. we will return
- Excellent Experience in ChattanoogaBarrettVIPDined on 8/27/2014Very well made and presented for an informal dinner there this week. First time diner there, and all four of us agreed with my own assessments.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful, as always.GrubLuvDined on 8/15/2014The Meeting Place is our go-to for a great meal in Chattanooga without a huge price tag. And what's more, we discovered their happy hour menu this past time - excellent! The food and service is always spot on and I wouldn't change a thing.Special Features:
- Excellent experienceChrisAndersonDined on 8/1/2014My boyfriend and I needed a romantic night out. This absolutely fit the bill. We were seated in the back, away from other guests, and had tremendous service from the staff and management. We had drinks upstairs in the bar beforehand and were impressed with the service there as well. We will definitely be back and recommend to others!Special Features:
- Nice atmosphere!MaryMDined on 8/1/2014I really liked the atmosphere of St. John's Meeting Place. The food is pretty unique, so if you are a picky eater, it might not be for you. My husband is quite a foodie, and he really enjoyed everything we ate. I feel like the main misstep of this restaurant is that the menu does not adequately show the food, and the servers are not fully familiar with the tastes of each individual dish. I feel as if I was surprised by many of the foods we ordered (which included 2 apps and 2 entrees). I will most likely go back and give St. John's another try, but I will be more aware and ask specific questions about what each meal entails. Service was great though!Special Features:
- ExcellentEmanVIPDined on 7/31/2014This was the most consistent meal we've ever had here....not a miss...every dish was what it should have been...so much fun to order multiple small plates...a bit more coursing of the dishes would have helped from having too much on the table at once...meeting place is in a good place right now.Special Features:
- chattanoogafoodieDined on 7/25/2014Wonderful atmosphere, unique menu, and excellent service! Always outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot that shouldn't be missedWhitsterDined on 7/24/2014The farm-to-table dishes were fresh, flavorful, creative, and satisfying. As a bonus, they have live Jazz on Thursday evenings, making for a perfect date night or small gathering with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place was great!Sammy2279Dined on 7/19/2014We went on a Saturday night before the rush, it wasn't very busy. Everything we had was delicious, including all the drinks. I would highly recommend this restaurant. This is the more laid back of the pair, with St. John's connected to it having the same food but with a little more upscale atmosphere (wear a nice outfit.) I would recommend that for a romantic evening. Personally I enjoy the more casual aesthetic. If you're in Chattannooga, visit this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food and serviceRickVIPDined on 7/15/2014I hosted a large party (12) and everyone was very happy with their selections. All our food was delicious. Our server was very responsive and friendly. The wine list has several overpriced options but if you move up the price list the choices get much better and are less overpriced. All in, a great place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious King SalmonOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/11/2014The King Salmon was delicious and beautifully prepared.Special Features:
- Over the top serviceSPMcDined on 6/26/2014When I booked this dinner through OpenTable, I mentioned in the comments it was our 21st anniversary. When we arrived at the restaurant everyone on the service team knew and mentioned about our anniversary. They even printed special menus with "happy anniversary" on the menu and the date. The server, the food runner, the manager - they all wished us a happy anniversary. They even gave us a complimentary glass of champagne when we sat at our cozy, table upstairs. And the food - well - it was amazing. And I loved the custom cocktails. I'll definitely be back and we'll be taking friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh...PittsburgherVIPDined on 5/30/2014I hate to be a naysayer about what has been one of our favorite spots over the past year, but changes in the kitchen, reflected by the new menu, are disappointing. Our dinner Friday night --except for the happy-hour half-price champagne-- was underwhelming. Service, as always, was charming and animated. We will be back, hoping for a resurrection of the former standards.Special Features:
- amazingyummyDined on 5/23/2014We made a reservation but arrived eatly. The were pleased to seat us early. The mac and cheese was amazing! Best burger I have ever had. Hub had lamb tenderloin and he thought it was good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 272 reviews are from the St. John's Meeting Place reviews archive.
- Friday night.oneof10Dined on 5/16/2014Group of ten gathered. All different dishes not a single complaint. Some first timers; all enjoyed. Would recommend to all who enjoy good food reasonably priced.Special Features:
- WowOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/9/2014I would certainly recommend this based on service, quality of the food and overall friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly Recommendguycibo48Dined on 5/6/2014Awesome selection of food including a variety of small plates and large plates. Nice wine list with specials during certain nights of the week, such as 1/2 price bottles of wine and champagne. Excellent service. Servers were very knowledgeable of food perpetration and wine offerings. We had a group of four and tried several varieties of small plates, food quality was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surprise in ChattanoogatravelrnDined on 4/12/2014What a find! I searched open table for a night out with friends when we came to Chattanooga for the Four Bridges art show. We couldn't have been more pleased with our experience. We all remarked that it was one of our best meals ever! The lamb was the tastiest I've ever had. The service was wonderful, never intrusive, always at hand and with great recommendations. I loved the decor, the paintings really added to the ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ever Changing Menu is GreatdebblsDined on 4/12/2014I go regularly, and have never once had an speck of dissatisfaction. The changing menu is wonderful, and slows the ordering a bit, but who cares. The specialty drinks are always interesting concoctions, and the Spring Sangria offers a refreshing break. Not too sweet, hint of bitterness not usually found in sangria. The pitcher is the better deal over individual glasses. Even if others don't want or like it, others will drink it up. Whether ordering the Veggie plates or others, the menu will be enough, and everything cooked perfectly. Sorghum butter comes out with the delicious bread, though getting plain butter was extremely slow. Cracked pepper offered, but salt and pepper shakers came without a hitch. Great, semi-casual dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and fantastic service!SarahDined on 4/11/2014My husband and I were visiting from out of town and went here for our anniversary dinner. The ambiance and service were perfect for a nice meal together. We got several of the small plates to share - our favorites being the shrimp rolls and the duck confeit with Johnny cakes and syrup. Two totally different tastes, but spectacular! Would highly recommend to anyone in the Chattanooga area looking for a neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!JesRuthieDined on 3/13/2014My husband and I were in Chattanooga on vacation celebrating our anniversary, and chose to come to the meeting place for our anniversary dinner. They sat us in an extremely comfortable, very romantic booth upstairs. Our server was attentive, helpful and very knowledgable about the menu, but did not hover. He made some great recommendations and we decided to share several small plates. Our absolute favorite were the smoked duck wings! The cocktails were amazing, balanced and creative. The burro en fuego was a revelation to each of us. We were blown away with the service we recieved and will definitely return next time we are in Chattanooga.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as usualSRT5Dined on 3/8/2014Lamb tenderloin is amazing. I was glad to see duck wings back and loved the new way they were prepared (loved old way too).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Class ExperienceAnnricDined on 2/22/2014We came here for our anniversary; what an experience! The food was amazing! I had the pan sear scallops and they were the best I have ever eaten. My husband was more than impressed with the fillet; tender juicy and perfectly cooked. The desserts; what a finish! The service was simply the best; not too little not too much. We will be back!Special Features:
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/21/2014Myself and my wife celebrated our 1st wedding anniversary here. The staff was very welcoming and the food was fabulous. Our server had a very detailed knowledge of the food, which was very impressive. The size of the restaurant was fairly small, which made the sound louder than expected. This, however, did not take away from our experience in any way. We will be making this a yearly stop for our anniversary, as well as finding any other time to visit this restaurant. The price was on the high end, but much lower than I expected. Awesome Experience!Special Features:
- A loud anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/20/2014Went for a romantic dinner at 7 on a Thursday, and it was louder than a bar at midnight on Saturday. So that threw off the atmosphere we were looking for. The decor and tangibles (menu, linens, plates, etc.) were cheap for a restaurant sporting their prices. Portions were small but that's to be expected.Special Features:
- V daytschieveDined on 2/15/2014I went on Saturday after Valentine's day thinking the rush would be over, wrong. It was a little cramped and they had a set menu option along with their main menu. We enjoyed the food but the atmosphere was lacking due to being packed in like sardines. Typically we love this place but will avoid in the future for Valentines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerLangstonDined on 2/15/2014Been to this restaurant several times. Food is always good, service was excellent this visit. We had a reservation and were seated upstairs near the bar and it got rather loud towards the end of dinner. They had a birthday party come in, so if you want to ensure a quieter, romantic evening make sure to request seating on the lower level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Night OutnoogaSlowFoodieDined on 2/8/2014We have dined at St. John's Meeting Place several times and it is our 'go to' place when we want to have a wonderful meal and mark a special occasion. As early diners, we are there before the crowd and have our choice of seats in the bar where we relax before having our meal. We are definitely there for the food and service! The later it gets the more people there are and they are sitting quite close to you-but hey--it is the meeting place. Every experience has been great in light of what the restaurant can control. We have had situations where tables next to us don't keep their conversation at their table and you begin to feel your space is invaded. You're better off getting there early if you enjoy having your table to yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food & serviceLorinanaVIPDined on 2/3/2014I had the chance to dine here in January with a business group. Our waitress was fantastic with excellent descriptions and recommendations on the food. She was attentive without hovering and everyone was delighted with their dinners. I would highly recommend this restaurant if you want a great meal or are entertaining clients.Special Features:
- love this place!Atlpeach0066Dined on 1/25/2014My boyfriend and I decided to get away to Chattanooga for a romantic weekend. I did some research before we left, and came across St. John's Restaurant. Upon looking over the menu online, I noticed that they had a more casual sister restaurant. All the reviews were great, so we decided to give it a try….and so glad we did! We both thoroughly enjoyed our meals. Can't wait to try it again on our next visit to Chattanooga.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem in ChattanoogaRaeboVIPDined on 1/22/2014The Meeting Place is next door to, and associated with, the best restaurant in Chattanooga, the St. John's. The drinks are perfect and new mixes are clever and worth trying. The food is impeccable, interesting, and delicious. The service is extraordinary. This has become one of our favorite places to go when eating out. The bill is often comparable to going to a chain steak house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice birthdayBODAWGDined on 1/18/2014good food/excellent service/great rye drinks! will return!Special Features:
- An Old FavoriteJimmoDined on 1/18/2014Its been a while since we visited the Meeting Place, it won't be so long until we go there again. The lobster chowder was wonderful, and the bacon wrapped monkfish, although a little too smokey was well prepared. Service was a little on the "deliberate" side, but the house was completely full so that's understandable. All in all, a nice experience as always.Special Features:
- date nightgdogDined on 1/18/2014food was great...lot of root veggies that we normally don't cook...monkfish and scallops were cooked perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything is awesome in thisCio3009Dined on 1/17/2014Everything is awesome in this place. One of my top three restaurants in the world and believe I have been in many different parts of the world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.