1610 NW 23rd Avenue
Portland, OR 97210Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.stjackpdx.com/
- Phone: (503) 360-1281
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 5:00 PM - 10:000 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Aaron Barnett
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our dining room and barroom can be enjoyed together or separately for private events. For company celebrations, cocktail gatherings, celebratory dinners, or luncheons, our space and cuisine lends itself to a seamless elegance to ensure a lovely, thoughtful experience for you and your guests.
Please email Kate@stjackpdx.com regarding dates and questions.
- Private Party Contact: Kate Icopini 5033601281x
A word from St Jack
Chef and restaurateur Aaron Barnett's unique menu features rustic dishes from the countryside of Lyon, the heart and soul of French cooking.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
St Jack - Best Restaurants in Hosford ›
St Jack reviews from OpenTable diners
126 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (97)special occasion (64)neighborhood gem (56)notable wine list (43)romantic (39)hot spot (37)vibrant bar scene (29)good for groups (15)great for outdoor dining (12)late-night find (5)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (2)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great DinnerTitleist1995Dined on 11/22/2014Food and service were excellent. Everything really well prepared and timed. Only comment was that the restaurant was really noisy and hard to hear across the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the place but....still too noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/20/2014Our dinners were fabulous, and we are pretty discriminating. But noise level is beyond comfortable. sdfsdafsdasdasdfasddSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely restaurant but under impressed by the foodWickedgringirlDined on 11/16/2014Beautiful location in a nice neighborhood. Big windows that look out at Victorians and craftsman homes. The server was nice but you could tell he was weighing what he thought would produce the highest tip, although he tried to treat all equal. I had the octopus appetzers, which was good, just like straight off the wharf. My friend had the mixed salad and believe or not she found it way too spicy to finish...yes a salad. The hubs had pork rinds (very French?) he was in love with the combo of maple syrup. I did not care for it. I had the onglet steak, it was ok. I had this cut for the first time last year and it melted in my mouth. I had high expectations but it tasted like top round. The frites were over salted and inedible. My hubs had the $40 steak frites and he was disappointed...said it tasted like a chain restaurant steak. My friend did like her pork dish, but it too was just a tad too dry. After tip we were out the door at $185. That's with 1 cf of house red, 2 Mexican cokes and no dessert or coffee. comme ci comme ça.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsluv2eatDined on 11/16/2014We have been coming to this restaurant for years before the move. We are not meat eaters so we are always pleased with a menu that offers lots of options. The servers are always excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great bistro too loudElsyDined on 11/14/2014We love St Jack and were thrilled when the restaurant moved closer to our neighborhood on the west side. Nothing better than tucking into their steak frites with a good bottle of red and a nice butter lettuce salad on the side. So far we haven't eaten at the bar but that looks like a fun room, and the bartenders know their stuff. Having a meal or drink there is on our to do list. I would like to offer some constructive criticism about the ambience. Although the decor is warm the NOISE level is uncomfortably high.Some attention needs to be paid to the acoustics -- all hard surfaces. The lighting design could also use some fine tuning - more points of light at the tables themselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, alright restScallopedDined on 11/14/2014The food here is always delicious. After frequenting their east side location, we went when their west side restaurant first opened and, a year or so later, found the experience largely unchanged. The wine (house red was excellent) and food were delicious (although the coquille st jack's presentation has been changed so that you now get less of the lovely baked cream & gruyere sauce), but the space is loud and cold (in the winter, wind rushes through, and they seem more concerned with keeping the kitchens cool than the guests warm), and our waiter was a bit supercilious. Yes, we would actually like yet more bread; yes, we 'd like to try your house red. I miss their old building: cosier, more intimate, and with more attentive waitstaff (or so it felt).Special Features:
- Still one of a kind. Still great!LizzyDined on 11/10/2014I miss the intimacy of the old St. Jack's but this location has it's own charms! Standards of quality and service are still high. It remains one of my favorites!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gypsygalgypsygalDined on 11/9/2014It was good classic French fare. I was amazed and also dazed by the amount of mussels they served me. Too many for one person to even consider eating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2014We had eaten several times at the SE location and loved it. We decided to give the new location a shot and we're glad we did. Good food....amazing service!!! We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- St. JackRockyDined on 11/8/2014We enjoyed every aspect of our dining experience. This was our second visit in one week!Special Features:
- FAR TOO LOUD and just so-so foodToddVIPDined on 11/7/2014This was our second time eating at St Jack in their new location and we wouldn't go back. The butter lettuce salad had too little dressing on it and perhaps the lettuce was still wet as it tasted watered down. The avocado that was on the salad was green and crunchy. The Onglet steak was so-so but they loaded on enough French fries to feed a table of 4 on one plate. I had the apple tart tatin and it was not good at all. The apples were way over cooked and it looked like apple sauce had been set over the crust. I barely ate half of it. The food, overall, was SUPER salty. This is not a romantic restaurant as we were celebrating a birthday and we miss the old location. EXTREMELY loud and was not a good or fun dining experience.Special Features:
- A Taste of France in PortlandJimboDined on 11/5/2014Aaron Barnett's French cooking is as good as you would find in any French village. One of the very best restaurants in Portland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our new favorite Portland spotrturnerDined on 11/1/2014Amazing food, great service.. Everything is spot on. And they take reservations, a bonus in Portland where most places don't care that much about their guests (though the wait is not too bad yet).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazingcdp1276VIPDined on 10/28/2014Was really impressed with the quality and diverse selections of food here. Everything that came out sitting at the chef table caught my eyes. Presentation was perfect and very well prepared. I look forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food not great for the priceCooking4friendsDined on 10/25/2014Extensive expensive wine list most bottles upper 30s+. Great friendly service.
- Don't be late!yumyumpdxDined on 10/25/2014Really wanted to love this place. We had 8pm reservations and called to let them know we were walking and would be 5 minutes late. When we arrived at 8:05 we were asked to wait at the bar, where we waited for over half an hour (despite the fact there was an empty table across from us). Once we were finally seated, the tables were very, very close and it was surprisingly noisy. Waiter was efficient, removed. All of this was mostly overshadowed by the incredible food. Trout over lentils was amazing. But when it came time for dessert we decided to head someplace with a warmer vibe where we could talk without shouting. Maybe better for lunch, or outside in warm weather?Special Features:
- Always good food!gmbpdxVIPDined on 10/24/2014I really enjoy dining at St. Jack. The new NW location has an incredible staff. They are so personable and dedicated to making the experience pleasant. The wait staff is knowledgable about the wines and what would pair best with your entrée. I like the energy of the restaurant and the bustling bar. It's a neighborhood "go to" for me.Special Features:
- Good But not GreatbellastellaVIPDined on 10/23/2014We took relatives to St. Jack who were craving "authentic" French food. While the new location is beautiful and the service excellent, the food was simply good. We left satisfied but were disappointed that the food wasn't as memorable as the new space and location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- St Jack's is an excellent choiceJimReviewDined on 10/20/2014Great food, great service. An extensive wine list. Outdoor dining not available on this visit due to weather. A little nosier than St Jack's previous location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner spot!4b1g2fDined on 10/18/2014Fantastic meal, the mussels were delicious, and the pork shank special was amazing. Our service was very wonderful!Special Features:
- Wonderful foodChaZmataZDined on 10/18/2014We've been enjoying st. Jacks for better than 3 yrs, I guess not long after their opening on 21rst & Clinton,miss the intimacy of the old St. Jacks, the new is bright & shiny & will continue to go there for the FOOD, but it is way to noisy, so we go early as possible to avoid crowds, they're always busy! The menu is wonderful, miss their Mac& cheese ( used to order it to go, as it makes a great reheat meal! ) the fresh sea food appetizers are fabulous, we always order a few, the froi Grau is a must, as is the chicken liver mousse , my husband is in love with the pork shanks& pigs feet when they have them. We are FOODIES and Jacks is the place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- portland visitorFoodieDined on 10/11/2014noise level was too high towards end of meal . we wanted to leave quickly. We could not carry on a conversationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maybe I do like FrenchJaReed888Dined on 10/9/2014I love when a restaurant can be accommodating to food allergies. The Pork Chop was amazing!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- St JackSacredFoolDined on 10/8/2014Delightful if pricey. Just what one would want looking for fine dining with lots of choices. A French food pot pourri with other choices as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sportsangel82Dined on 10/6/2014Wonderful service and exquisite food. Took my girlfriend there for her birthday and we were very pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of PDX's gemsSeanDined on 10/4/2014Exceptionally well executed food, attentive (but not over-attenetive) service, and well selected wines. My only quibble is that the resto was out of one wine we ordered and the recommended substitute was one vintage off from what appeared on the wine list (a 2011 burgundy when list showed 2011). Like I said, a quibble. We will be back again (and again, and again).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- C'mon guys lower those prices!JbdayDined on 10/3/2014The good: flavors were excellent. Wine delicious. Service very attentive. The C'mon Man: Prices-come on, $40 for a ribeye with fries? No vegetables? Fortunately we split the dinner, but only with appetizers. Quality of the steak: overly fatty and gristle-filled. Gin gimlet: good, but small for $11. Ridiculous. Olives with pits? C'mon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsluv2eatDined on 9/28/2014We have been dining at St. Jack's since before the move. We love the food. The choices for people who don't eat beef or pork are varied which is rare. The service is always great. We will keep coming back.Special Features:
- good anniversary dinnerdrewxgarciaDined on 9/21/2014went here for a first year anniversary and it didn't disappoint: delicious food (try the foie gras!) and excellent service. I would absolutely go again for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- group dinnerNYCtrippersDined on 9/20/2014Nice dinner with friends, food not outstanding but very good. Pork rinds were a hit..we ordered lots of little plates and was fun to sample all their offerings. Food seemed a little salty but very nice. Waitress was absent most of the meal, dirty plates left too long on table and had to ask for wine list twice. Good overall not great.Special Features:
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/19/2014The food is great…despite the hair in my husband's mussels. Waiter was so gracious - that even with that one snafu, we had a good night.Special Features:
- All I can say is "WOW!!"LaurieDined on 9/18/2014We were given a gift card for St. Jack, and I wasn't sure what to expect at this restaurant. However, from start to finish, everything we ordered was exceptionally delicious! The goat cheese spread for the bread was excellent, the two different salads we ordered were fresh and very good with the two different dressings (we share bites!), and the duck with the red wine sauce was about the most delicious duck entree I have ever had. We each had a dessert (the berry cobbler and the freshly made madeleines) and both were also very good. Our server and the staff were attentive without being overly so. The wine was a little spendy for the amount given by the glass, but all in all, St. Jack will be on our "most memorable dinners out" list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, as expected!AgencyEaterDined on 9/17/2014Everything at St. Jack was delicious. The ambiance, service, and food all felt very refined, and Portland / French Chic. Cocktails were great, as well as the wine selection. The only drawback was the noise level. All the noise bounced off the concrete floor and made the restaurant loud. I would suggest adding in some fabric or wood floors to help absorb some sound.Special Features:
- Great Sauces! Recommended!1111VIPDined on 9/14/2014Very tasty and well prepared food. I had a salad and the rib eye steak. The Heirloom Tomato salad was wonderful with a French blue cheese, bacon and tarragon with a sherry vinaigrette. The very thick steak was broiled as I ordered and came with two classic sauces that were as good as I had ever had, a French brown sauce that was rich and flavorful, and Bearnaise that was wonderful. The French fries were crispy, flavorful and hot. The only flaw was a heavy hand with salt on the fries; the Sunday night plate prep cook needs a reminder to use much much less. Our personable waiter was very attentive changing the strange rap music to something more conducive and less loud. The fifth star comes with better and quieter music and less salt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mmmm mmm mmmjwildcardDined on 9/7/2014I had a friend in from Chicago who is a major foodie. St. Jack's was the perfect restaurant for the end of our trip. She was looking for something farm-to-table fancy....We had the oysters which were delicious. The tartar was good, maybe a little dijon would be nice on the side of that...and more bread. She had the tomato tatin, and it was sooo good. Served on a puff pastry with vine ripe yellow cherry tomatoes and a squash blossom filled with Chevre. YUM! My mussels were so good, maybe the best I've had. The creamy mustardy broth that they were served in was so good. The ambience was very nice, the service acceptional, and the open kitchen is a really nice touch. I would go back again for sure!Special Features:
- Portland Foodie Perfect NightpdxfoodieDined on 9/7/2014It was one of those ideal nights. Great temperature so the windows on the front were open to the street. We ordered almost everything under appetizers and two entrees and split it four ways. Where else can you have an amazing foie gras, sweetbreads, duck breast and escargot. Escargot got rave reviews at our table. Everything was cooked wonderfully and came out in a timely way. The waitress was very good and had a nice wine recommendation. Dessert of ice cream and homemade Madelines topped it off. It was a wonderful night and reminds me why I so love Portland dining. We will be back!Special Features:
- Special dinnercarrieDined on 9/6/2014Our drinks were enjoyable, splitting a salad was just right, and the mussels and pommes frites were delicious! Although several reviews warned about it being too hot, we had dinner on a 91 degree day and found the restaurant to be quite comfortable due to the open windows.Special Features:
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014good size portions knowledgeable wait staff the sauce for the mussels dish was outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, a little slowOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014My wife and I had foie gras, olives, a cheese course, steak, the special (a pork chop), wine, and desert. The food was excellent and perfectly cooked. The one problem was the main course took over an hour to arrive after we finished the cheese course. However, the manager and waiter were extremely apologetic and provided champagne and dessert on the house as compensation. Frankly, the food was worth the wait and I think the time issue was atypical.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceTHESMITHSDined on 8/31/2014the bar maid spilled a significant portion of my drink (and only shrugged her shoulders), two meals were served first and one of those wasn't hot, then the third meal came a while later and finally the last meal was served so late the rest of us were nearly done. The table bussers ignored our empty plates for a long time. The host recognized the problems and offered us free desserts but they took so long to get to the table, we almost left. Good food but problems in every aspect of the serviceSpecial Features: