1610 NW 23rd Avenue
Portland, OR 97210Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.stjackpdx.com/
- Phone: 5033601281x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 5:00 PM - 10:000 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Aaron Barnett
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access
A word from St Jack
Chef and restaurateur Aaron Barnett's unique menu feature rustic dishes from the countryside of Lyon, the heart and soul of French cooking.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
St Jack - Best Restaurants in Hosford ›
St Jack reviews from OpenTable diners
137 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (105)special occasion (69)neighborhood gem (60)notable wine list (48)hot spot (41)romantic (35)vibrant bar scene (29)good for groups (13)great for outdoor dining (13)late-night find (6)scenic view (2)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Amazingcdp1276VIPDined on 10/28/2014Was really impressed with the quality and diverse selections of food here. Everything that came out sitting at the chef table caught my eyes. Presentation was perfect and very well prepared. I look forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food not great for the priceCooking4friendsDined on 10/25/2014Extensive expensive wine list most bottles upper 30s+. Great friendly service.
- Don't be late!yumyumpdxDined on 10/25/2014Really wanted to love this place. We had 8pm reservations and called to let them know we were walking and would be 5 minutes late. When we arrived at 8:05 we were asked to wait at the bar, where we waited for over half an hour (despite the fact there was an empty table across from us). Once we were finally seated, the tables were very, very close and it was surprisingly noisy. Waiter was efficient, removed. All of this was mostly overshadowed by the incredible food. Trout over lentils was amazing. But when it came time for dessert we decided to head someplace with a warmer vibe where we could talk without shouting. Maybe better for lunch, or outside in warm weather?Special Features:
- Always good food!gmbpdxVIPDined on 10/24/2014I really enjoy dining at St. Jack. The new NW location has an incredible staff. They are so personable and dedicated to making the experience pleasant. The wait staff is knowledgable about the wines and what would pair best with your entrée. I like the energy of the restaurant and the bustling bar. It's a neighborhood "go to" for me.Special Features:
- Good But not GreatbellastellaVIPDined on 10/23/2014We took relatives to St. Jack who were craving "authentic" French food. While the new location is beautiful and the service excellent, the food was simply good. We left satisfied but were disappointed that the food wasn't as memorable as the new space and location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- St Jack's is an excellent choiceJimReviewDined on 10/20/2014Great food, great service. An extensive wine list. Outdoor dining not available on this visit due to weather. A little nosier than St Jack's previous location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner spot!4b1g2fDined on 10/18/2014Fantastic meal, the mussels were delicious, and the pork shank special was amazing. Our service was very wonderful!Special Features:
- Wonderful foodChaZmataZDined on 10/18/2014We've been enjoying st. Jacks for better than 3 yrs, I guess not long after their opening on 21rst & Clinton,miss the intimacy of the old St. Jacks, the new is bright & shiny & will continue to go there for the FOOD, but it is way to noisy, so we go early as possible to avoid crowds, they're always busy! The menu is wonderful, miss their Mac& cheese ( used to order it to go, as it makes a great reheat meal! ) the fresh sea food appetizers are fabulous, we always order a few, the froi Grau is a must, as is the chicken liver mousse , my husband is in love with the pork shanks& pigs feet when they have them. We are FOODIES and Jacks is the place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- portland visitorFoodieDined on 10/11/2014noise level was too high towards end of meal . we wanted to leave quickly. We could not carry on a conversationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maybe I do like FrenchJaReed888Dined on 10/9/2014I love when a restaurant can be accommodating to food allergies. The Pork Chop was amazing!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- St JackSacredFoolDined on 10/8/2014Delightful if pricey. Just what one would want looking for fine dining with lots of choices. A French food pot pourri with other choices as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sportsangel82Dined on 10/6/2014Wonderful service and exquisite food. Took my girlfriend there for her birthday and we were very pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of PDX's gemsSeanDined on 10/4/2014Exceptionally well executed food, attentive (but not over-attenetive) service, and well selected wines. My only quibble is that the resto was out of one wine we ordered and the recommended substitute was one vintage off from what appeared on the wine list (a 2011 burgundy when list showed 2011). Like I said, a quibble. We will be back again (and again, and again).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- C'mon guys lower those prices!JbdayDined on 10/3/2014The good: flavors were excellent. Wine delicious. Service very attentive. The C'mon Man: Prices-come on, $40 for a ribeye with fries? No vegetables? Fortunately we split the dinner, but only with appetizers. Quality of the steak: overly fatty and gristle-filled. Gin gimlet: good, but small for $11. Ridiculous. Olives with pits? C'mon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsluv2eatDined on 9/28/2014We have been dining at St. Jack's since before the move. We love the food. The choices for people who don't eat beef or pork are varied which is rare. The service is always great. We will keep coming back.Special Features:
- good anniversary dinnerdrewxgarciaDined on 9/21/2014went here for a first year anniversary and it didn't disappoint: delicious food (try the foie gras!) and excellent service. I would absolutely go again for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- group dinnerNYCtrippersDined on 9/20/2014Nice dinner with friends, food not outstanding but very good. Pork rinds were a hit..we ordered lots of little plates and was fun to sample all their offerings. Food seemed a little salty but very nice. Waitress was absent most of the meal, dirty plates left too long on table and had to ask for wine list twice. Good overall not great.Special Features:
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/19/2014The food is great…despite the hair in my husband's mussels. Waiter was so gracious - that even with that one snafu, we had a good night.Special Features:
- All I can say is "WOW!!"LaurieDined on 9/18/2014We were given a gift card for St. Jack, and I wasn't sure what to expect at this restaurant. However, from start to finish, everything we ordered was exceptionally delicious! The goat cheese spread for the bread was excellent, the two different salads we ordered were fresh and very good with the two different dressings (we share bites!), and the duck with the red wine sauce was about the most delicious duck entree I have ever had. We each had a dessert (the berry cobbler and the freshly made madeleines) and both were also very good. Our server and the staff were attentive without being overly so. The wine was a little spendy for the amount given by the glass, but all in all, St. Jack will be on our "most memorable dinners out" list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, as expected!AgencyEaterDined on 9/17/2014Everything at St. Jack was delicious. The ambiance, service, and food all felt very refined, and Portland / French Chic. Cocktails were great, as well as the wine selection. The only drawback was the noise level. All the noise bounced off the concrete floor and made the restaurant loud. I would suggest adding in some fabric or wood floors to help absorb some sound.Special Features:
- Great Sauces! Recommended!1111VIPDined on 9/14/2014Very tasty and well prepared food. I had a salad and the rib eye steak. The Heirloom Tomato salad was wonderful with a French blue cheese, bacon and tarragon with a sherry vinaigrette. The very thick steak was broiled as I ordered and came with two classic sauces that were as good as I had ever had, a French brown sauce that was rich and flavorful, and Bearnaise that was wonderful. The French fries were crispy, flavorful and hot. The only flaw was a heavy hand with salt on the fries; the Sunday night plate prep cook needs a reminder to use much much less. Our personable waiter was very attentive changing the strange rap music to something more conducive and less loud. The fifth star comes with better and quieter music and less salt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mmmm mmm mmmjwildcardDined on 9/7/2014I had a friend in from Chicago who is a major foodie. St. Jack's was the perfect restaurant for the end of our trip. She was looking for something farm-to-table fancy....We had the oysters which were delicious. The tartar was good, maybe a little dijon would be nice on the side of that...and more bread. She had the tomato tatin, and it was sooo good. Served on a puff pastry with vine ripe yellow cherry tomatoes and a squash blossom filled with Chevre. YUM! My mussels were so good, maybe the best I've had. The creamy mustardy broth that they were served in was so good. The ambience was very nice, the service acceptional, and the open kitchen is a really nice touch. I would go back again for sure!Special Features:
- Portland Foodie Perfect NightpdxfoodieDined on 9/7/2014It was one of those ideal nights. Great temperature so the windows on the front were open to the street. We ordered almost everything under appetizers and two entrees and split it four ways. Where else can you have an amazing foie gras, sweetbreads, duck breast and escargot. Escargot got rave reviews at our table. Everything was cooked wonderfully and came out in a timely way. The waitress was very good and had a nice wine recommendation. Dessert of ice cream and homemade Madelines topped it off. It was a wonderful night and reminds me why I so love Portland dining. We will be back!Special Features:
- Special dinnercarrieDined on 9/6/2014Our drinks were enjoyable, splitting a salad was just right, and the mussels and pommes frites were delicious! Although several reviews warned about it being too hot, we had dinner on a 91 degree day and found the restaurant to be quite comfortable due to the open windows.Special Features:
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014good size portions knowledgeable wait staff the sauce for the mussels dish was outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, a little slowOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014My wife and I had foie gras, olives, a cheese course, steak, the special (a pork chop), wine, and desert. The food was excellent and perfectly cooked. The one problem was the main course took over an hour to arrive after we finished the cheese course. However, the manager and waiter were extremely apologetic and provided champagne and dessert on the house as compensation. Frankly, the food was worth the wait and I think the time issue was atypical.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceTHESMITHSDined on 8/31/2014the bar maid spilled a significant portion of my drink (and only shrugged her shoulders), two meals were served first and one of those wasn't hot, then the third meal came a while later and finally the last meal was served so late the rest of us were nearly done. The table bussers ignored our empty plates for a long time. The host recognized the problems and offered us free desserts but they took so long to get to the table, we almost left. Good food but problems in every aspect of the serviceSpecial Features:
- Mixed reviewsNWdinerVIPDined on 8/28/2014Have been to St. Jack in its new location a few times this summer. It's a little noisy, and much, much too warm. A little air conditioning would be nice. On this visit we had the mussels and the steak frites. The mussels were perfect--delicious, but the sauce for the steak frites was over salted.Special Features:
- loved new digscandpDined on 8/28/2014Ate in new space by open window. Loved the design and food, and service was excellent. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!!!LAttiDined on 8/23/2014My husband and I have not been out to a nice dinner in months. We had previously been to St Jack's when it was on the east side but mostly for wine, cheese, and appetizers. This time we decided to have a sit down dinner and it was amazing! In fact I saw so many dishes go by my table I wanted to order more! Not to mention how attentive all the wait staff was...it was quite refreshing! I will most definitely be back...in fact I would go every weekend if my husband would let me;-)!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very DisappointedFoodTravelerVIPDined on 8/23/2014My girlfriend and I selected St. Jack for a dinner during a recent visit to Portland because the website and menu looked fantastic. Pros: - Neighborhood- very cute, safe, and active - Decor- warm and comfortable Cons: - The food- We ordered two different appetizers (Escargot and Heirloom Tomatoes), and the Duck entree, and every dish was overloaded with salt! I grew up in the South, and I am not shy of salt, but all three dishes were almost inedible due to the level of salt! - The cocktails- My girlfriend asked the bartender to make her a Moscow Mule, which ended up tasting like pure vodka and soda water. I had the gin and absinthe cocktail from the menu that tasted like pure anise.
- St Jack was fun.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/20/2014The dining scene was fun and active with really nice exposure to the outside via large open windows. The wait staff were great; friendly, knowledgable and attentive. Foodies will enjoy the extensive - and expensive - wine list. Although appetizers were interesting and tasty, the main courses, salmon and steak frites, were not memorable. We might go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Yorkers in Portland for a MonthOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014Staying in Portland for a month I was craving good French food. I chose St Jack based on previous reviews and I am glad I did. The wine, dinner and ambiance was a great mixture and I look forward to going back. The only strange experience that was noted was the waiter did not seem to connect with us nor did he seem to answer our few questions we had about the menu. For example we asked what his favorites on the menu were and his response mentioned only the specials and nothing off the menu. That did not help us in our decision. Regardless we would return in a month when we are back in Portland. Do yourself a favor and have dinner at St Jack.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- server was greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Excellent service, tried a lot of different foods and the rube ye was the only disappointment. Everything else was really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ridiculously DeliciousHappyFoodieDined on 8/12/2014My wife and I recently ate here (again) for a special occasion. They met all of our expectations. The food was absolutely delicious. The drinks and wine were fantastic. The ambience was great. My only slight complaint is that the service was a tad but slow. Not overly so, but noticeable.Special Features:
- Really, Really GoodeyewolfVIPDined on 8/9/2014We celebrated our anniversary and enjoyed a great evening. With the welcome complimentary champagne the night started well and kept getting better. Unique escargot was excellent with the garlic, mushroom sauce. The butter lettuce salad was fresh and just the right amount of dressing. Both of us loved our entrees and had some to take home. The in-house made bread was very French and yummy and the reason we decided against dessert as we were both very full. Each enjoyed nice piche of wine with the entire dinner well orchestrated by our very efficient and extremely knowledgable waiter. Tables are very close but not bother by our close neighbors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still looking for that wow factorLookin4WowDined on 8/9/2014We had a nice dinner at St. Jack but with all the restaurants in this city to choose from, this was not one I will necessarily go back to soon. The food was solid, the portions were fine. But for the price there are 50 more great restaurants in Portland that I would like to try before going back to St Jack. Definitely worth going to if you are looking for French food in a typical NW/PDX setting-atmosphere. As I stated - food was solid, portions were excellent and the service was decent (we waited a little bit between courses - but they were packed on a Sat nite). Still looking for that place in PDX that WOWs you every-time you eat there. Carlyle was that place for us back in the day.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014Hand chipped ice! Yes! Seared perfect duck breast yes! Crackle and pop pork rinds! I'll be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a dateAmberMcKDined on 8/6/2014We had a lovely, delicious dinner at St. Jack. The wait staff was friendly and efficient. The food and beverages were incredible. Each dish had a unique twist that made it even better than expected. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- dinerVIPDined on 8/6/2014This was our first time to the northwest location after their move from Clinton street. There are better French restraints available in portland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.