1610 NW 23rd Avenue
Portland, OR 97210Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.stjackpdx.com/
- Phone: 5033601281x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 5:00 PM - 10:000 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Aaron Barnett
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access
A word from St Jack
Chef and restaurateur Aaron Barnett's unique menu feature rustic dishes from the countryside of Lyon, the heart and soul of French cooking.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
St Jack - Best Restaurants in Hosford ›
St Jack reviews from OpenTable diners
144 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (107)special occasion (73)neighborhood gem (61)notable wine list (47)hot spot (38)romantic (36)vibrant bar scene (28)great for outdoor dining (17)good for groups (9)late-night find (7)scenic view (2)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- good anniversary dinnerdrewxgarciaDined on 9/21/2014went here for a first year anniversary and it didn't disappoint: delicious food (try the foie gras!) and excellent service. I would absolutely go again for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- group dinnerNYCtrippersDined on 9/20/2014Nice dinner with friends, food not outstanding but very good. Pork rinds were a hit..we ordered lots of little plates and was fun to sample all their offerings. Food seemed a little salty but very nice. Waitress was absent most of the meal, dirty plates left too long on table and had to ask for wine list twice. Good overall not great.Special Features:
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/19/2014The food is great…despite the hair in my husband's mussels. Waiter was so gracious - that even with that one snafu, we had a good night.Special Features:
- All I can say is "WOW!!"LaurieDined on 9/18/2014We were given a gift card for St. Jack, and I wasn't sure what to expect at this restaurant. However, from start to finish, everything we ordered was exceptionally delicious! The goat cheese spread for the bread was excellent, the two different salads we ordered were fresh and very good with the two different dressings (we share bites!), and the duck with the red wine sauce was about the most delicious duck entree I have ever had. We each had a dessert (the berry cobbler and the freshly made madeleines) and both were also very good. Our server and the staff were attentive without being overly so. The wine was a little spendy for the amount given by the glass, but all in all, St. Jack will be on our "most memorable dinners out" list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, as expected!AgencyEaterDined on 9/17/2014Everything at St. Jack was delicious. The ambiance, service, and food all felt very refined, and Portland / French Chic. Cocktails were great, as well as the wine selection. The only drawback was the noise level. All the noise bounced off the concrete floor and made the restaurant loud. I would suggest adding in some fabric or wood floors to help absorb some sound.Special Features:
- Great Sauces! Recommended!1111VIPDined on 9/14/2014Very tasty and well prepared food. I had a salad and the rib eye steak. The Heirloom Tomato salad was wonderful with a French blue cheese, bacon and tarragon with a sherry vinaigrette. The very thick steak was broiled as I ordered and came with two classic sauces that were as good as I had ever had, a French brown sauce that was rich and flavorful, and Bearnaise that was wonderful. The French fries were crispy, flavorful and hot. The only flaw was a heavy hand with salt on the fries; the Sunday night plate prep cook needs a reminder to use much much less. Our personable waiter was very attentive changing the strange rap music to something more conducive and less loud. The fifth star comes with better and quieter music and less salt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mmmm mmm mmmjwildcardDined on 9/7/2014I had a friend in from Chicago who is a major foodie. St. Jack's was the perfect restaurant for the end of our trip. She was looking for something farm-to-table fancy....We had the oysters which were delicious. The tartar was good, maybe a little dijon would be nice on the side of that...and more bread. She had the tomato tatin, and it was sooo good. Served on a puff pastry with vine ripe yellow cherry tomatoes and a squash blossom filled with Chevre. YUM! My mussels were so good, maybe the best I've had. The creamy mustardy broth that they were served in was so good. The ambience was very nice, the service acceptional, and the open kitchen is a really nice touch. I would go back again for sure!Special Features:
- Portland Foodie Perfect NightpdxfoodieDined on 9/7/2014It was one of those ideal nights. Great temperature so the windows on the front were open to the street. We ordered almost everything under appetizers and two entrees and split it four ways. Where else can you have an amazing foie gras, sweetbreads, duck breast and escargot. Escargot got rave reviews at our table. Everything was cooked wonderfully and came out in a timely way. The waitress was very good and had a nice wine recommendation. Dessert of ice cream and homemade Madelines topped it off. It was a wonderful night and reminds me why I so love Portland dining. We will be back!Special Features:
- Special dinnercarrieDined on 9/6/2014Our drinks were enjoyable, splitting a salad was just right, and the mussels and pommes frites were delicious! Although several reviews warned about it being too hot, we had dinner on a 91 degree day and found the restaurant to be quite comfortable due to the open windows.Special Features:
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014good size portions knowledgeable wait staff the sauce for the mussels dish was outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, a little slowOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014My wife and I had foie gras, olives, a cheese course, steak, the special (a pork chop), wine, and desert. The food was excellent and perfectly cooked. The one problem was the main course took over an hour to arrive after we finished the cheese course. However, the manager and waiter were extremely apologetic and provided champagne and dessert on the house as compensation. Frankly, the food was worth the wait and I think the time issue was atypical.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceTHESMITHSDined on 8/31/2014the bar maid spilled a significant portion of my drink (and only shrugged her shoulders), two meals were served first and one of those wasn't hot, then the third meal came a while later and finally the last meal was served so late the rest of us were nearly done. The table bussers ignored our empty plates for a long time. The host recognized the problems and offered us free desserts but they took so long to get to the table, we almost left. Good food but problems in every aspect of the serviceSpecial Features:
- Mixed reviewsNWdinerVIPDined on 8/28/2014Have been to St. Jack in its new location a few times this summer. It's a little noisy, and much, much too warm. A little air conditioning would be nice. On this visit we had the mussels and the steak frites. The mussels were perfect--delicious, but the sauce for the steak frites was over salted.Special Features:
- loved new digscandpDined on 8/28/2014Ate in new space by open window. Loved the design and food, and service was excellent. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!!!LAttiDined on 8/23/2014My husband and I have not been out to a nice dinner in months. We had previously been to St Jack's when it was on the east side but mostly for wine, cheese, and appetizers. This time we decided to have a sit down dinner and it was amazing! In fact I saw so many dishes go by my table I wanted to order more! Not to mention how attentive all the wait staff was...it was quite refreshing! I will most definitely be back...in fact I would go every weekend if my husband would let me;-)!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very DisappointedFoodTravelerVIPDined on 8/23/2014My girlfriend and I selected St. Jack for a dinner during a recent visit to Portland because the website and menu looked fantastic. Pros: - Neighborhood- very cute, safe, and active - Decor- warm and comfortable Cons: - The food- We ordered two different appetizers (Escargot and Heirloom Tomatoes), and the Duck entree, and every dish was overloaded with salt! I grew up in the South, and I am not shy of salt, but all three dishes were almost inedible due to the level of salt! - The cocktails- My girlfriend asked the bartender to make her a Moscow Mule, which ended up tasting like pure vodka and soda water. I had the gin and absinthe cocktail from the menu that tasted like pure anise.
- St Jack was fun.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/20/2014The dining scene was fun and active with really nice exposure to the outside via large open windows. The wait staff were great; friendly, knowledgable and attentive. Foodies will enjoy the extensive - and expensive - wine list. Although appetizers were interesting and tasty, the main courses, salmon and steak frites, were not memorable. We might go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Yorkers in Portland for a MonthOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014Staying in Portland for a month I was craving good French food. I chose St Jack based on previous reviews and I am glad I did. The wine, dinner and ambiance was a great mixture and I look forward to going back. The only strange experience that was noted was the waiter did not seem to connect with us nor did he seem to answer our few questions we had about the menu. For example we asked what his favorites on the menu were and his response mentioned only the specials and nothing off the menu. That did not help us in our decision. Regardless we would return in a month when we are back in Portland. Do yourself a favor and have dinner at St Jack.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- server was greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Excellent service, tried a lot of different foods and the rube ye was the only disappointment. Everything else was really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ridiculously DeliciousHappyFoodieDined on 8/12/2014My wife and I recently ate here (again) for a special occasion. They met all of our expectations. The food was absolutely delicious. The drinks and wine were fantastic. The ambience was great. My only slight complaint is that the service was a tad but slow. Not overly so, but noticeable.Special Features:
- Really, Really GoodeyewolfVIPDined on 8/9/2014We celebrated our anniversary and enjoyed a great evening. With the welcome complimentary champagne the night started well and kept getting better. Unique escargot was excellent with the garlic, mushroom sauce. The butter lettuce salad was fresh and just the right amount of dressing. Both of us loved our entrees and had some to take home. The in-house made bread was very French and yummy and the reason we decided against dessert as we were both very full. Each enjoyed nice piche of wine with the entire dinner well orchestrated by our very efficient and extremely knowledgable waiter. Tables are very close but not bother by our close neighbors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still looking for that wow factorLookin4WowDined on 8/9/2014We had a nice dinner at St. Jack but with all the restaurants in this city to choose from, this was not one I will necessarily go back to soon. The food was solid, the portions were fine. But for the price there are 50 more great restaurants in Portland that I would like to try before going back to St Jack. Definitely worth going to if you are looking for French food in a typical NW/PDX setting-atmosphere. As I stated - food was solid, portions were excellent and the service was decent (we waited a little bit between courses - but they were packed on a Sat nite). Still looking for that place in PDX that WOWs you every-time you eat there. Carlyle was that place for us back in the day.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014Hand chipped ice! Yes! Seared perfect duck breast yes! Crackle and pop pork rinds! I'll be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a dateAmberMcKDined on 8/6/2014We had a lovely, delicious dinner at St. Jack. The wait staff was friendly and efficient. The food and beverages were incredible. Each dish had a unique twist that made it even better than expected. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- dinerVIPDined on 8/6/2014This was our first time to the northwest location after their move from Clinton street. There are better French restraints available in portland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meal, but a little noisy.windybearpdxDined on 8/5/2014We'd visited St Jack in the old location several times and were a little worried about the transition to the new location. Shouldn't have worried. It was even better than before in a nice new building. Service was attentive without being intrusive. The food! Oh, my. Salmon was perfect and lamb was out of this world. Only complaint is it's TOO LOUD. So many nice restaurants think it has to have the acoustics of a tile bathroom. People start talking, it gets loud, people talk louder, it gets so noisy you can't carry on a conversation. PLEASE do some acoustic treatment! But still a great spot for that special dinner.Special Features:
- Disappointed in old favoriteFrancesinpdxDined on 8/4/2014We'd been to St.Jack many times when it was in it's old location and loved it. We were excited to have it move into our neighborhood. While the food is still good, it was so noisy we almost left before we had even ordered. It was a very hot summer evening, but apparently they don't have air conditioning. They did have the front windows open but even so it was sweltering. I felt so sorry for the cook staff. And it felt like there were too many tables jammed into too small a space - I'm not sure how the waitstaff managed to move around them. This is enough that I'd probably not go back unless they made some changes.Special Features:
- Dinner August 2014onthefly8Dined on 8/1/2014We truly enjoyed our dinner at St. Jack's. I grade this pretty hard because Portland is such a fantastic, dynamic restaurant scene. The food was great - we had the Steak Tartar and Bone Marrow appetizers, and the Duck and Boudin Noir entrees, with a selection of three cheeses in between. All of them were excellent. And the bar menu was equally well done. The drawback was - as others have said - the ambience. Just didn't work. It's hard to describe but you want the ambience to match the quality of the food and this was simply not intriguing or otherwise interesting. The decor is blah, the tables were very small, and we had to literally bang into other patrons in order to get through the walkway to our table.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful hors d'oeuvres1stofmanydatesDined on 8/1/2014We primarily focused on small plates and cheeses - ordering five different selections. Our favorites included Steak Tartare, Escargot, Heirloom Tomato Salad and the cheese selection from France. Wow, our foodie senses were pretty knocked out! We also had the Onlet Steak (Hangar steak), though it was a little tough and didn't quite keep up with the "wow" of the small plates we had. We recommend this place pretty highly and think you should consider focusing on trying many of the small plates, disregarding the main entrees (though they all looked delicious), and creating your own delightful meal from these uniquely prepared hors d'oeuvres. Unless they have the Bouillabaisse, which we hear is fantastic.Special Features:
- Good food, needs work on ambienceeat2liveVIPDined on 7/26/2014We have eaten at St Jack's for over 4 years. The food we had was as well prepared and enjoyable as before. We and others we know who have eaten at the new location have commented spontaneously that the 23 rd atmosphere and decor does not match up with the old SE one. The major concerns surround deafening noise and lightening that leaves you with the sensation you are eating at a food court. These are simple design issues that need to be addressed. Reliance on the older lighting fixtures instead of the track lighting that is a total non-fit and getting some baffles on the wall and fabric across the ceiling would go a long way to improving both. These are simple fixes, critical to the atmosphere that will sustain return customers. Good luck!
- Best Birthday Dinner Eversaintjames00Dined on 7/25/2014My wife brought me here for dinner and it was unbelievable! The service was attentive, the servers were very knowledgable about the menu and the wine list. Our food was delivered right on time, every time. I couldn't have had a better dining experience. Very Highly Recommended!Special Features:
- Great food and serviceLovejacksonVIPDined on 7/25/2014Second time at St Jack, we both had great salads, and main courses. The hostess was incredibly helpful and our waiter was professional and attentive. Great finds on the wine list. We will be back.Special Features:
- OverallOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/25/2014A little pricy, but great overall restaurant experience. Food and service were excellent. Definitely not a quick turnaround - our dinner was over 2 hours, but fun atmosphere and a definite repeat restaurant.Special Features:
- Great appetizers, but...sefud8terDined on 7/24/2014We had a great round of appetizers, fantastic oysters, and wonderful baked scallops, which paired well with our drinks. But our entrees were fairly blah. I ordered mussels. As an entree perhaps I expected more than what I would associate with an appetizer, and was disappointed there was no starch or vegetables in the roux. Just mussels. Also, the server didn't seem aware if our drinks from one course paired with our entree, so my husband ended up with prosecco with his lamb roast, which felt rushed and discordant. He no longer wanted his prosecco, but wasn't yet offered an appropriate drink. And the lamb, frankly, tasted fine, but we expected more flavor than simply fine.Special Features:
- Best Foie Gras Ever!neo247Dined on 7/23/2014The entire dinner was fabulous and the foie gras with toasted brioche and roasted apricots was inspired. We also had the crispy pork rinds, roasted bone marrow, and the Onglet steak frites. Everything was perfectly cooked, attractive and delicious. Excellent and reasonably priced wine list, thank you! Excellent service in the bar and at the table. A memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love St. Jack!PortlandNancyDined on 7/22/2014Our guests from Victoria Canada continued to rave about our dinner at St. Jack the whole time they were visiting us! The food was delicious and deliciously different! We haven't had such a great meal in a long time! The service was perfect...not too many interruptions and professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive for what we receivedPalsDined on 7/21/2014Very noisy. It was very expensive for what we ordered. The best item was the flat iron steak. The salmon and duck were a bit overdone Service was okaySpecial Features:
- A perfect evening!OntheGoutTrainDined on 7/19/2014Visiting Portland for the first time and found St. Jack listed several places as a top treat. It lived up to and exceeded all the reviews. We got there early and were seated immediately, had a great server who knew the menu and wine list and didn't hover but made sure we were taken care of, and above all had one of the best meals I've had in quite a while. There was not a single "meh" dish on our table the whole evening. Plus, it was a beautiful evening with a snappy breeze blowing through the enormous sliding windows in front of the room, so the atmosphere and noise level were perfect. I'm already recommending this place to natives and friends going out to visit!Special Features:
- P2T2Dined on 7/19/2014This was our first visit and we'll be back. We had an enjoyable dinner and the service wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencegreat4foodiesDined on 7/18/2014We were impressed with the service, ambience and food. We spent a very pleasant two and a half hours enjoying an excellent dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.