St. Elmo Steak House
127 S. Illinois
Indianapolis, IN 46225Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
St. Elmo Steak House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.stelmos.com/
- Phone: (317) 635-0636
- Hours of Operation:
Monday thru Friday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Saturday: 3pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Open for Private Luncheons for Groups of 20 or More with 72 Hour Notice.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Prime Rib
- Executive Chef: Dave Foegley
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: St. Elmo's offers 4 rooms from which to choose. Limited menus available. Please see website for details or e-mail us.
- Private Party Contact: April Wheeler 3176350636x106
A word from St. Elmo Steak House
St. Elmo Steak House has been a landmark in downtown Indianapolis since 1902. It is the oldest Indiana restaurant in its original location & has earned a national reputation for its excellent steaks, seafood, chops & professional service. We happily accommodate special requests; please call the restaurant directly. All reservations will be held for 15 minutes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
St. Elmo Steak House - Best Restaurants in Downtown Indy ›
St. Elmo Steak House reviews from OpenTable diners
1021 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (800)notable wine list (440)romantic (396)good for groups (349)fit for foodies (340)hot spot (303)neighborhood gem (283)vibrant bar scene (194)late-night find (58)great for lunch (36)kid-friendly (17)scenic view (15)great for brunch (14)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- Always a favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/19/2014The food at St E's is always great. The steak is fantastic and always cooked perfectly. Great service and attention to detail. Don't miss it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indy's best steakhouseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/18/2014Everything was exceptional, food, wine, service, atmosphere....Highly recommend at least one experience at St. Elmo's during your visit to Indianapolis!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Steak ever !OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/18/2014Great Food that was served by a great waiter ! Only reservation was at 4:30 but so worth it . Will definitely go back whenever I'm in Indy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Steak Ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/18/2014Ordered the bone in filet and it was one of the best steaks I have ever had! Lobster mac and cheese was superb and the wine list was extensive. Great dining experience.Special Features:
- Ken and ky boysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/18/2014Shrimp cocktail was fabulous as was my cowboy ribeye, potato and company Big ky win over jawhaks Perfect eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worth visiting onceFromNYDined on 11/17/2014The shrimp cocktail deserves its reputation. I don't eat meat but heard the steaks were perfect. The mac and cheese, creamed spinach and bread pudding were all pretty bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place...Just Wish I Actually Got to Eat!CBaileyDined on 11/16/2014We had reservations prior to the Colts/Pats game. We ordered our food at 6:45PM. At 7:45PM, our food still had not arrived. We needed to get to the game, so we left without eating. Granted, the place was packed prior to this game. However, an hour after placing the order is more than enough time. We haven't had this issue previously, even before Colts games. We were able to enjoy the Shrimp Cocktail and Bread!! Again, this hiccup isn't going to hender me from returning. Just disappointed that we didn't get to eat a good steak before that game. From the outcome of the game, we should have just stayed and waited for our food to finally come. Oh well....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumPatsfanDined on 11/16/2014Great food, cool atmosphere! Not a place you can walk up and get a table lickity split. Next door Harry & izzys is sister restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/15/20142 people in the group sent their steak back, one was cold and the other was tough. The cold one was either thrown into an oven or microwaved, same steak came back and then it was overcookedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed with steaksjmt6053Dined on 11/14/2014If you appreciate nostalgia and mediocre steaks at exorbitant prices.... St. Elmo's is for you. Service is usually attentive but lacking in personality. At the end of the day, what is delivered rarely meets the bottom line of the bill.Special Features:
- Best SteakDavidDined on 11/14/2014Service was impeccable. NY strip and Ribeye are amazing. Best cheesecake I've ever eaten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great name, sad foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/14/2014My husband and I went to St Elmo's as a celebratory dinner. While the skimp cocktail was fabulous and lived up to its reputation, the steak was just sad. We had the aged boneless steak on special and 80 percent of it was fat. It also tasted like gas. It is disappointing to expect a great meal, pay for it but leave dissatisfied.Special Features:
- An extraordinary experience!MichaelDined on 11/13/2014Just walking into St. Elmo's you can sense the over 100 year history and meals and memories from countless past patrons. The service is top notch and they make you feel special without being stuffy. Pre-dinner drinks in the 1933 bar is a must. It is the perfect setting to have a drink and relax in preparation for your meal and dinning event. Our waiter, Will, has been with them for over 25 years. He can handle a large group, we had 13, with ease. His experience shines in understanding his menu and the desires of his guests. He knows that delicate balance of being attentive without being disruptive. His precense added to the entire experience. The food of course was legendary. The shrimp cocktail is very spicy but the use of jumbo shrimp helps to be able to still taste the shrimp. Being from Charleston, SC, we know our shrimp and they doing an excellent job. My cowboy cut ribeye was cooked to perfection!!! Just enough marbeling to bring out the juices of the steak, but not so much fat too diminish the amount of meat. My desert was cheesecake that would rival that of any deli in NYC. St. Elmo's is a treasure and like all treasures it should be discovered and celebrated!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!Gjones23Dined on 11/11/2014I made reservations after winning a gift card the day before. I was so excited to attend as I expected great good, great service & atmosphere! Thanks to Eric, our server and all who made our dining experience awesome!😊Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/10/2014I eat at this restaurant every time I get a chance. The folks that work here are always friendly and curious. The waiter was Will and he was always spot on when our table needed anything.Special Features:
- First ImpressionFoodieDined on 11/9/2014This was my first visit and my first impression was great. Overall great experience and excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New to IndySugarDined on 11/9/2014Bit disappointed...appreciated the history of the restaurant and quality of steaks as expected but baked potato was a reheat...microwaved and skin was burned. Told french fries were double fried but were limp and soggy...for the $$$$ expected fresher.
- If You Like SteakDeliciousDined on 11/9/2014In Michigan, for Prime Rib, I go to Skips Place in New Buffalo. But, if you like steak, you go to St. Elmo. I don't know how they do it, the steak is not only tender, but moist and full of great flavor. They are cook perfect to your specifications. The world famous shrimp cocktail is just that.....World Famous. But, be careful with the sauce, it will get you in the nose. Service is above standard, our waiter, George, but we called him Stanley, because we are on a quest to have dinner starting with A-Z and the waiter in each establishment is named with that letter. He was friendly and played along with our ploy. It is always a pleasurable evening of dining in a pleasant ambiance.Special Features:
- AzizDined on 11/8/2014I chose sea food section, it was delicious specially crab and shrimp. Also, the bread was fantastic with butter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PERFECT FILET MIGNONLOLODined on 11/8/2014Everyone in our party of five ordered filet mignon and each of us was completely satisfied with how ours was cooked. Mine was tender enough that I could've cut my bites with a fork had I wished to; just the way I like it. REGARDING MY NOISE LEVEL RATING ABOVE: Please IGNORE any rating you see above a low/normal level. There must've been a technical issue on Open Table's site because at this time of my review as the lowest noise level available couldn't be selected and the apparent technical issue selected the highest noise level rating for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and great service!tsmdah60Dined on 11/8/2014Amazing food and great service! I would highly recommend St Elmo's for any special occassion. It was pricey, but well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worthy of a special occasionFoodie62313Dined on 11/8/2014Probably the best filet I've ever had, and of course the shrimp cocktail is an absolute must. Fantastic atmosphere. Highly recommend, especially for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food as alwaysSharky1967Dined on 11/8/2014Great food as always expected from St Elmo Steak House. Shrimp cocktail was worth the drive an hour and a half.Special Features:
- Always OutstandingKirkDined on 11/8/2014My wife and I have been celebrating our Anniversary at St. Elmo's for 17 years. We never leave disappointed. Outstanding food in an upscale yet fun atmosphere. Here's to the next 17 years!Special Features:
- St elmosBslane2006Dined on 11/8/2014Place was great, great service, great food, great desert, would do it all over againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lives up to expectations?FoodieDined on 11/6/2014Crowded, clean, well organized machine - but the much hyped shrimp cocktail was just shrimp in a hot horseradish sauce - not that amazing. Waiter was keen to up-sell rather than recommend and the prime roast was good - but so insanely enourmous that he should have noted that before also recommended the bisque and and and... Such a waste of food that spoilt a potentially great meal... Why offer such a beautiful cut of meat without recommending sharing between 2 people?Special Features:
- Never surprisedac130ufcoDined on 11/5/2014St Elmo's is just what you expect - every time. For a place with such a limited menu, you know they have to do it well or they'd be done. The bean soup is really good with some of the cocktail sauce added in - great insight from the server. I'm not sure why I went with a little char on the steak though - not a good call for my personal tastes. The Ribeye was cooked perfectly and had great flavor (aside from the charring). Not much in the way of sides to select or comment on, but the potato could have been hotter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/5/2014The service, food and ambiance were second to none.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of My FavoritesbethVIPDined on 11/5/2014The service, food, and environment is amazing here. There is a lounge above here for drinkes after dinner. This is THE restaurant to go to in Indianapolis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food - Extremely LoudlectricDined on 11/3/2014I have been here several times and I don't recall it being this loud. We were in a room down the steps across from the kitchen and it was so loud, we couldn't carry on a conversation. I will re-think my next business dinner for another location. But, as always, the food was superb.Special Features:
- Great food and atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/3/2014Recommend the shrimp cocktail (warning:spicy) and my filet was cooked perfectlyI would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food cocktail and serviceOutoftownerDined on 11/2/2014This place is the bomb! Sometimes when you read about places it is all hype, but this place delivered. From the famous shrimp cocktail to the st. Elmo's cocktail of bourbon, coke and infused cherries. All were exceptional. We had the Sunday three course special and the steaks were delicious, best green beans and smashed potatoes. We will definitely go back, but won't wait for a special occasion.Special Features:
- FORK TENDER!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014this place was absolutely delicious. It was recommended to me by a family member who had heard about it. Not been their themselves yet. Was in town for the monumental marathon. Went there Saturday night with some friends. FANTASTIC! I was literally cutting my 12 oz filet with my fork.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indianapolis IconBeas7255Dined on 11/1/2014Great traditional steakhouse. Outstanding food and excellent service. Every Hoosier should go there at least once. You have to try the shrimp cocktail!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dinner I ever hadNathan47802Dined on 11/1/2014I love this place! You have gotta try the shrimp cocktail! We had our sixth anniversary here and it was worth it by that I mean we dropped about 180 for the two of us and a 50 for tip, that being said the steak was perfect, so good that I wondered what I had had before that was ever called steak... from the first bit I knew that if I was ever on death row that this would be my last meal! The service was excellent and we didn't feel rushed or unattended. We will be back for more for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot ShrimpjayrVIPDined on 11/1/2014First visit to St Elmo's, the steak and sides were excellent. Was anticipating the Famous shrimp cocktail, extremely disappointing. So much horseradish that it takes your breath away and burns you mouth, on top of some boiled shrimp. Skip the over priced burn.Special Features:
- Excellent placeOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/1/2014We celebrated our daughter's first marathon here. Everyone needs to try the famous shrimp cocktails. The filet was extremely tasty. Our waiter, Scott was very attentive.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014surprised my friend for a birthday dinner - great food - great service and a great experience as expected!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- notthatdaveDined on 11/1/2014The service and food were both great. The staff was very friendly.Special Features:
- SpartyBoilerVIPDined on 11/1/2014I know it's supposed to be great and all. We had the world famous shrimp cocktail. I mean really its just shrimp with a ton of fresh horseradish making it spicy. Honestly, I think it is too much horseradish and ruins the shrimp. It's like it a bowl of horseradish. Our steaks were good but under cooked. We ordered medium rare and they were very rare in the middle. I can say I've been there, wouldn't go back. Service was excellentSpecial Features: