St. Elmo Steak House
127 S. Illinois
Indianapolis, IN 46225Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
St. Elmo Steak House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.stelmos.com/
- Phone: 3176350636x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday thru Friday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Saturday: 3pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Open for Private Luncheons for Groups of 20 or More with 72 Hour Notice.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Prime Rib
- Executive Chef: Dave Foegley
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: St. Elmo's offers 4 rooms from which to choose. Limited menus available. Please see website for details or e-mail us.
- Private Party Contact: April Wheeler 3176350636x106
A word from St. Elmo Steak House
St. Elmo Steak House has been a landmark in downtown Indianapolis since 1902. It is the oldest Indiana restaurant in its original location & has earned a national reputation for its excellent steaks, seafood, chops & professional service. We happily accommodate special requests; please call the restaurant directly. All reservations will be held for 15 minutes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
St. Elmo Steak House - Best Restaurants in Downtown Indy ›
St. Elmo Steak House reviews from OpenTable diners
972 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (779)notable wine list (394)romantic (376)good for groups (303)fit for foodies (278)hot spot (255)neighborhood gem (240)vibrant bar scene (167)late-night find (53)great for lunch (29)kid-friendly (20)scenic view (18)great for brunch (12)great for outdoor dining (5)Show More
- St ElmoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014Every time we come from North Dakota to Indy for a Colts game we eat at St Elmo!! The shrimp cocktail is a must have appetizer!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Steak Ever.....lovediningoutDined on 9/28/2014Last time we dined at St Elmo's was 15 years ago after having to move to another State. We decided to take a five day road trip and Indy was one of those stops. We made reservations at St. Elmo's and was glad we did. Both of our steaks were perfection. Melted in your mouth like cotton candy. We also ordered the infamous shrimp cocktail that was fantastic. The navy bean soup was is the best I have ever had. Kudos St. Elmo's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Routine excellence!GHRH79VIPDined on 9/28/2014As we expected, we received "Excellent food!" and "Excellent service!"
- Steaks are always delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/28/2014It's such a great Indy tradition! It's a must do if you are downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top of My ListKatLDined on 9/28/2014Never a disappointment. If you are looking for great food, service & ambience then this is the right spot whether for a romantic evening or family get together. You do not want to miss this.Special Features:
- Unusually bad experiencefirsttimedinerVIPDined on 9/28/2014We come to St. Elmo's quite often before home Colts Games. The room was half full of patrons. All of the tables filled up before we had our drink order taken. It took approximately 45 min. for the waiter to take our lunch order (bringing the drinks around the 30 min mark). One of my shrimp smelled bad (again, that never happens!) and the waiter had to bring me a new one. The room had almost all cleared for the game when they finally got our food to us. It was a very simple order, so I'm not sure why other people were served and leaving before we even got our food. It was a frustrating visit to say the least. I hope whatever went wrong is fixed before our next visit as we usually love St. Elmo's!I would recommend this to a friend.
- JimJoDined on 9/28/2014St. Elmo Steak House remains one of my favorite spots, and the food is always very good. The atmosphere is outstanding and I always look forward to my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful pre-game mealOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/28/2014We were visiting from out of town to see the Colts beat our team and David, our waiter, and the rest of the staff were very welcoming and helpful. The food was amazing - the shrimp cocktail was an experience - and the atmosphere was great. Highly recommended and we look forward to visiting again - and hopefully winning a little football too. :DSpecial Features:
- BasementOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014We're seated in basement. Having eastern here a few times I will note in the future not to dine there. Nice but not St Elmo's in my opinion Food and wait staff excellentSpecial Features:
- If you love steak.BrackleberryDined on 9/27/2014By far the best filet I have ever had. If your looking for a nice place for a date night and willing to spend some extra money on a good dinner, go here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for a romantic eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014Would not recommend it for a romantic evening. Very busy and very loud. Service outstanding, food outstanding, ambiance terrible.Special Features:
- Best steak in the country7yearsDined on 9/27/2014Best steak and service in the country. Loved the entire experience! Started with drinks and appetizers at the bar and then moved to our reserved table for dinner. Greatly looking forward to going back.Special Features:
- Big birthday bash was a success!Bday2rememberDined on 9/27/2014When we heard from the horse carriage ride that Guy Fieri recommended this restaurant, we knew we would have to try it. And what better occasion coming up than one of our birthdays?! We had already heard that we would need to make reservations well in advance so it worked out perfectly that I had over 30 days to make things work smoothly. I couldn't have asked for a better place for my significant other to remember his 38th birthday than St Elmo's. From the moment I booked the reservation to the time that we happily walked back out the door, I couldn't have asked for a more perfect dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of the Best!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014Our dinner at St. Elmo's was nothing short of fantastic. We were seated promptly (we had a reservation, of course, but some restaurants still make you wait even when you're on time!) and we were very happy with our seating location. Honestly, there really isn't a bad seat in the place. Everything was top drawer: drinks; apps; meal; and dessert! Our waiter was prompt, nice and cordial without being too nosy, and he gave great recommendations and descriptions of the food. I will definitely return to St. Elmo's the next time I'm in Indianapolis!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous EveningSkelts27Dined on 9/27/2014Don't go to Indy without spending some time at St. Elmo's. The food is top knotch, service fantastic and atmosphere relaxed. Make your evening special with a date or group of friends or family. St. Elmo's will not disappoint. Don't miss out on the shrimp cocktail. It is a must have to start off the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- happy anniversarythirtynineandcountingDined on 9/27/2014We came on our anniversary wanting a special dining experience. All or expectation were met, and more. Food was excellent and service was equally good. All in all, a fantastic evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014I took my husband to dinner for his birthday, and we both loved the restaurant. The shrimp cocktail is definitely a must have if it is your first time like ours. The atmosphere was very romantic and nice. We really enjoyed our dinner here. When we come back to town, we will definitely vist again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteakKytta9ballDined on 9/26/2014This is the best Steak place in all of Indiana. The shrimp cocktail is great but be warned that the sauce is spicy due to horseradish but very good. Arrived early for my reservations but was seated immediately.Special Features:
- Good food, too loudDinnerStatsDined on 9/26/2014The food and service was great but the people were so loud. I thought this was a fancier restaurant only to find high end prices with a sports bar clientele.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- St Elmo's SteakhouseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Had dinner last Friday evening at St. Elmo's. The entire experience was outstanding. A full menu was offered and the dining experience was excellent. Their famous Shrinp cocktail was delectable. The chopped salad was fresh, outstanding and large enough to share by a group of three. The main course of ribeye and baked potato was tremendous and desert menu was plentiful Service was outstanding. Great value combined with wonderful ambiance Will go there again and againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ClassypragmaticDined on 9/25/2014An old establishment that had maintained its quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fooddparentDined on 9/25/2014This is my third visit to this restaurant. I live on the West Coast and make sure to stop every time I am in this area! Great food and atmosphere! Make sure to have the Shrimp Cocktail...it will knock your socks off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Steak and Legendary ShrimpTheLadyDDined on 9/24/2014I really enjoyed the atmosphere this fun, classy place. The service was great -- very helpful, friendly, impeccable. I had their Steak special that night (dry aged sirloin) and it was out of this world. And, yes, I had the Famous St Elmo's Fiery Sauce Shrimp Cocktail. Be warned it really is unbelievably hot! And I enjoyed every bite (once I had scraped a lot of the sauce off). Don't forget to head upstairs for your after dinner drinks -- 1933 bar is great to finish the night. Can't wait to come back. It's a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinomiteDined on 9/23/2014I travel internationally quite a bit and eat at steak houses everywhere I go. St. Elmo is simply one of the best steak houses in the world. Period. If you are in Indianapolis it has to be on your to do list.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014excellent meal and service, the steak was done to perfectionSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/22/2014Food is terrific and I always like the fact that the service is fast and very professional for the price point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lives up to it!foooodDined on 9/22/2014St Elmo's definitely lives up to its reputation! The service was excellent and the food was great. We had an issue with one dessert but it was immediately and (more than) appropriately taken care of. One person has Celiac disease and is gluten free, and our server was extremely knowledgeable and helpful--he even verified the ingredients in her cocktail were GF without being asked. Loved it!Special Features:
- Indianapolis SpecialtyEisuttDined on 9/21/2014I ate here because it was unique to Indianapolis. Their shrimp cocktail was a sure sinus opener. It came with my Sunday Dinner. I am so glad I ordered the amish chicken. Very tender and lean. Normally I don't eat the chicken skin but this one is not fatty at all and tastes really well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Food!!!BigfanDined on 9/21/2014We went on Sunday and had the 3 course special. Every serving of food was cooked to perfection! It was the best dinner I have had in a VERY long time! Worth every penny. With that said, the noise was a problem. We felt like we had to yell to talk. It was beyond loud!!!! The noise is definitely an area of improvement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FadedGlenEdDined on 9/21/2014This hot-spot in a dreary, sports-based downtown is resting on laurels that are a little tarnished after all these years. The fiery cocktail, renowned as it seems to be, is, really, a masochistic waste of good shrimp. The testosterone-fuelled repast was old-school, as was the service and decor, but not in the good way. Tired, faded, spent.
- EmilyDined on 9/21/2014Great food and great service, as usual. If you want to go someplace that will never disappoint, St. Elmo Steak house is the place to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014St Elmo's is excellent for the food, service and ambiance.Special Features:
- Special in every wayBigEllieDined on 9/21/2014We went for the $40 prix fixe Sunday Dinner. Shrimp Cocktail was as spicy as advertised. Salad with Bleu Cheese dressing was very fresh. Filet mignon was grilled to perfection. Definitely recommend ordering the Creamed Spinach as an additional side. Cheesecake was a good size and very tasty. Asked the server for a tour of the restaurant and wine cellar and he gave us a tour and history of the restaurant and building. Excelled dining experience !!Special Features:
- The Very Best.JackjDined on 9/21/2014My wife and I ordered the filet and it was the best steak either of us have experienced. Cooked perfectly and the taste, well I cannot put that into words. We also ordered their world famous shrimp cocktail- it's quite breathtaking. Try it and you'll realize that is not an understatement. Undoubtedly the place for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/21/2014My husband and I have been coming here for at least 10 years for our anniversary celebration. It is our favorite restaurant and a great place for our yearly celebration. The wait staff is top notch, the atmosphere is very relaxing and the food is always amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeVeryHappyCustomersDined on 9/21/2014We had never eaten at St. Elmo's before but had heard great things about it. We decided for our Wedding Anniversary we would try it out. It was exactly what everyone had told us about. Food was EXCELLENT, wait staff was excellent and it is a beautiful building. We truly enjoyed and are trying planning to visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lived up to the expectation!StallingsVIPDined on 9/20/2014Great service, excellent food, well worth the price..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- St. Elmo Steak House ReviewfoodloverDined on 9/20/2014This restaurant was outstanding! the food was great and the service was even better! The staff was extremely nice and made sure that we were taking care of at all times. I never had to wait to long and our waitor was kind. This restaurant is great for a romantic dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of prime ribOccasionaldinerDined on 9/20/2014We were surprised that at six o'clock on a Saturday night that a restaurant that is known for it's prime rib .....was completely out of it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingSybilK40Dined on 9/20/2014I've lived in Indiana my whole life, St Elmo's is a historic piece of Indy. This was my first vist and we're already planning the return visit. Ps. I don't care for shrimp but the Shrimp Cocktail was equally amazing!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.