St. Elmo Steak House
127 S. Illinois
Indianapolis, IN 46225Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
St. Elmo Steak House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.stelmos.com/
- Phone: 3176350636x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday thru Friday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Saturday: 3pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Open for Private Luncheons for Groups of 20 or More with 72 Hour Notice.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Prime Rib
- Executive Chef: Dave Foegley
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: St. Elmo's offers 4 rooms from which to choose. Limited menus available. Please see website for details or e-mail us.
- Private Party Contact: April Wheeler 3176350636x106
A word from St. Elmo Steak House
St. Elmo Steak House has been a landmark in downtown Indianapolis since 1902. It is the oldest Indiana restaurant in its original location & has earned a national reputation for its excellent steaks, seafood, chops & professional service. We happily accommodate special requests; please call the restaurant directly. All reservations will be held for 15 minutes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
St. Elmo Steak House - Best Restaurants in Downtown Indy ›
St. Elmo Steak House reviews from OpenTable diners
983 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (783)notable wine list (409)romantic (383)good for groups (313)fit for foodies (302)hot spot (279)neighborhood gem (275)vibrant bar scene (178)late-night find (54)great for lunch (30)scenic view (17)kid-friendly (16)great for brunch (13)great for outdoor dining (5)Show More
- Mediocre at bestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014When I booked my reservation at St. Elmo's I specifically mentioned that my husband and I were celebrating a special occasion. This was our first time at St. Elmo's and there was nothing special about it. The food is overpriced and bland, with few choices. Our service was fine, but it cannot be compared to the type of service you receive at Ruth's Chris. We recently celebrated a birthday at Ruth's Chris and our service was beyond outstanding. We were greeted by name as soon as we hit the hostess stand (as opposed to being ignored and then passed on to a different hostess stand like we were at St. Elmo's). Nothing was particulary wrong with our service, but if you want a restaurant to truly go the extra mile, go to Ruth's Chris.
- RDOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/19/2014My first time at St. Elmo's. We had a reservation and were seated on time. We had the Sunday Night Special. The filet was perfect !! The shrimp cocktail had a good kick and was very good. Service could not have been better. Great evening !!Special Features:
- Awesome TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/19/2014Food was amazing and so was the staff. We got right in for our reservation. Will definitely come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014Our waiter was one of the best we've every had. I made our reservation online and mentioned we were celebrating our 30 year wedding anniversary. There was a little sign on the table and we were given a free desert. All I wanted was a decent table. The shrimp were super and as was the lobster bisque was well worth the extra charge. We split a NY and it was cooked perfectly and was a cut of meat that didn't need extra seasoning. It was expensive but worth it because it wasn't dinner it was an experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GREAT!!AJCARDined on 10/18/2014Filet, bean soup, sliced tomato and onion salad. It's great every time! Service is equally as great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A classic!teamguyDined on 10/18/2014I last ate at St. Elmo's 20 years ago and it left a lasting memory, so since I found myself back in Indianapolis I had to try it out again. While the restaurant is significantly larger and has expanded over the years -- no doubt due to its great food and popularity -- it is still a classic steakhouse where you can count on getting a fantastic meal! I ordered the famous shrimp appetizer and it did not disappoint; the shrimp were nice and firm, the cocktail sauce opened up my sinuses in a perfect way! They were sooo good! I had a dry-aged ribeye that had spectacular flavor. It tasted like I just took it off the grill at home! Nice char, temperature perfect, just a small amount of marbling that gave it a flavorful taste. You must go!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014We were very disappointed that we were seated at table that leaned, due to slope at that end of the dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steakOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/18/2014St. Elmo's was everything I expected for a great steak restaurant. From the tomato juice spinach salad perfect rare filet crispy green beans and topped off with a bourbon chocolate bread pudding washed down with a wonderful Duckhorn cab. Service was impeccable for a wonderful dinning experience. Cost was surprisingly reasonableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quintessential to Indy.ColtPhanDined on 10/17/2014Great stop if you are hosting friends. Shrimp cocktail is a must-do. Steaks are big, don't be shy to share or send back if not perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- St Elmo's Steak HouseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014St.Elmo's is a must if your in Indy. The whole experience is memorable. Shrimp cocktail, and any steak on the menu is a must. Order your steak one level up from what you normally do. Medium=Medium well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014I know St Elmos holds a high end dining experience. The atmosphere was everything I expected. The service was good although we were given 2 shrimp appetizers when we really only wanted to split one. So we split the prime rib steak and we were both disappointed in the quality of that as it was tough and grisselly. I know it may have been our choice and should have ordered a steak we normally would favor. The service made us feel special for our celebration.Special Features:
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/17/2014Great food as always - Shrimp cocktail was awesome.Special Features:
- Great steakhouse.EatOutAlotDined on 10/17/2014It took us a year+ to get a reservation when we were in Indy, but worth the wait. Steve, our server, was great, and the shrimp cocktail was as good as advertised. We took home cocktail sauce as gifts. The steaks were excellent, as expected, and the wine list is superb. Had a wonderful Stag's Leap that was quite reasonably priced. Overall - more than met our expectations!Special Features:
- Great steaks!DonPDined on 10/17/2014You go here for BEEF and boy, do they deliver! Our server, Steve, was wonderful and very knowledgeable about the wine list. The shrimp cocktail sauce was not as hot as I remember, but that's probably a good thing so you still have taste buds left for the steaks.Special Features:
- A Special PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014My husband and I were visiting Indianapolis for a long honeymoon weekend and wanted to have a special dinner while there. St. Elmo's was exactly what we were looking for. The environment, service and food was above our expectations. There is no doubt we will be back again!Special Features:
- Great Place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Food and services outstanding...Of course you must try the shrimp cocktail St Elm's is known for. This restaurant has a nice atmosphere and feels very comfortable and classic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On-FireGWD36217Dined on 10/16/2014Starting with the drinks/shrimp cocktail at the bar the service was attentive but subtle. Main course of the aged rib-eye and accouterments was excellent - no rush, no hassles. A great evening with friends - Thanks St. Elmo's - I'm coming back.Special Features:
- great service!sabsc1Dined on 10/16/2014Visited St. Elmo's while passing through Indy. Nice classic decor, great service and cocktail sauce... Disappointed with the steak, the filet was charred on the surface. It must have sat on a grill for too long while they waited for the potatoes au gratin finished baking! It was not what I expected at all for the price. Go for appetizers and drinks, skip the steak here and grab dinner elsewhere.Special Features:
- Awesome steakhouse!!!!Nashville10esseeDined on 10/15/2014This place was wonderful. Food is well prepared and service was great. I would highly recommend this place to anyone wanting a great steakhouse to go to. You will definitely enjoy yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- True to What Everyone SaysLive8FeastDined on 10/15/2014My visit was not a disappointment! I tried the shrimp cocktail and it is great! The entree portions are big. The service was outstanding. One must not leave Indianapolis without having a meal at St. Elmo's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversaryMorgan2006Dined on 10/14/2014It was our 8 yr anniversary that is why we chose st. Elmo's. My husband, son and myself had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FlooredIlikefoodDined on 10/13/2014Went for an anaversary dinner and just had an amazing dinner. Every part of the meal was wonderful from the drinks to the desert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love St. Elmo'sCJaxDined on 10/13/2014This is where my husband and I go for special occasions or when we want a romantic night out. I actually did not have steak this time around - but the tuna was delicious! My husband had the dry-aged rib eye which he said may be the best rib-eye anywhere (and he eats a lot of steak!). St. Elmo's has fantastic service, delicious food, a huge wine list, and great ambiance!Special Features:
- NY Strip Good but not GreatFoodmasterDined on 10/13/2014Good, but not worth $35! This was a good steak, but not a great steak. The beef was not as tender as I would have expected for a steak at this price point. A classic restaurant, but food is over priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014The dry aged strip special was so good. I loved the wine as well , 2010 BV George de latour. Overall a great night.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steaks and ShrimpTheoSTLDined on 10/12/2014Six of us went on a Sunday night. The place was pretty full, but not jammed. We all ordered the Sunday Night Steak Special. What a great deal! A nice filet, shrimp cocktail (very spicy sauce), or salad and dessert for $40.00. Steaks were grilled to perfection. Service was wonderful. We had come from Miami and St. Louis and all agreed that it was worth the trip! Glad we don't live there as the place is addictive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantlovmy4kidsDined on 10/12/2014Wonderful service, great food. Just a note for others - the shrimp in the shrimp cocktail is smothered with cocktail sauce. We had 3 in our party who eat their shrimp plain. Luckily I saw it before our 9 year-old was served, but we didn't want to ask for the ones who had already been served to be switched out. So if you like your cocktail sauce on the side, just ask for it that way. On Sundays they offer a 3-course dinner for a reduced price. I thought it was a great value, and the servings were a little smaller than the servings on the regular menu, which was perfect for several in our party. Great place for a nice dinner out!Special Features:
- AdamDined on 10/12/2014Absolutely AMAZING experience!! The food was amazing and the shrimp cocktail is really world renowned!! Will definitely eat there again when I am in the Indianapolis area.Special Features:
- Top 10 for foodiesmikeDined on 10/11/2014Wish I lived closer to Indianapolis, friend told me about St Elmo's, I was planning a weekend trip to and decided to celebrate at St Elmo's, we both enjoyed the legendary shrimp cocktail, new york strip, filet and red potatoes. We will return!Special Features:
- Great PlaceERNurseDined on 10/11/2014Good food and very good wine and spirits list. Service was a little less than what I would expect for the price but I think that had a lot to do with the fact that they needed about 2 more servers. All in all I would go back.Special Features:
- Good steaks, the rest just okay.DuanojoDined on 10/11/2014It's not going to matter what I write, as people are still going to go to St. Elmo's. It's an institution. It's like the Cubs. Who cares if the product isn't great if people keep showing up? I'd heard great things about the shrimp cocktail and was looking forward to the kick of some serious horseradish. However, I must have had a bad batch. I kept waiting for a sinus-clearing bite, but it never happened. Steaks were great, seasoned and cooked well, although mine was a bit underdone. My oatmeal stout was served in a water glass. Server was knowledgeable but too attentive. I can pour my own water. The menu was a real turn off, with its *.95 prices, it was more like a Denny's menu than at a fancy restaurant. All in all, I was underwhelmed.Special Features:
- pricey but worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014The cost is high but the food is fabulous. Our server was very slow and non attentive. It was a night where we had to get his attention for him to come to us. Our drinks and food were very slow coming but they were delicious.Special Features:
- Very GoodcrairdonDined on 10/11/2014Went for our 20th Anniversary dinner and we enjoyed the food and our waiter was excellent. Portions were on the large side so come hungry. My wife had the half of chicken, which she said was ok. I got the bone-in rideye and it was excellent. She tried a couple of bit and wished the went for the steak. They have a house made blue cheese dressing that I thought was very good also. We would go again but most likely only for a special occasion. The pricing is up there but for a once or twice a year visit it is worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak cookJznIndyDined on 10/11/2014Everything I had was great. The only complaint was that I asked for my steak to be medium and it came out rare to medium rare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Experience!nouvrieg23Dined on 10/10/2014All the way around....service, professionalism, ambience, food and beverage choices, food prepared to perfection and over-the-top dessert selections. ...Will continue to be our family's celebration dinner(s) restaurant of choice...even with a 3+ hour drive! Outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slightly rushed and overpricedfenns17Dined on 10/10/2014My wife and I went for our anniversary. Wehad a reservation well in advance and showed up early for drinks. We got seated right away at an open table for dinner which was nice. After being seated we both thought we were rushed through the rest of the evening. The food was good but not to the caliber we had expected. We didn't have a bad experience, it just wasn't the relaxing evening we had wanted/expected filled with amazing food. Probably won't go there again except maybe for drinks because the bar atmosphere was nice.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceGood4UDined on 10/10/2014We were there to celebrate a birthday. Our experience was great from the beginning. The host accommodated our special request. The atmosphere and food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- go somewhere elseOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/10/2014Avoid the soups, our table had both, they couldn't be worse. I ordered the prime rib. It wasn't slow cooked, it was grilled. I never was served a steak so hard to chew, could barely cut it with a steak knife.
- historic findLawrysVIPDined on 10/10/2014I made reservations after researching the best steak house in Indianapolis, as I was going there for a conference. what a find!!great food and service--loved itSpecial Features:
- Birthday CelebrationDaveWDined on 10/10/2014We were celebrating my brother's 70th birthday and wanted something special for this important milestone. We all had great meals, excellent wine and wonderful service in an elegant restaurant. Doesn't get much better than that! Our waiter (Glen) took excellent care of us.Special Features: