St. Elmo Steak House
127 S. Illinois
Indianapolis, IN 46225Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
St. Elmo Steak House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.stelmos.com/
- Phone: 3176350636x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday thru Friday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Saturday: 3pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Open for Private Luncheons for Groups of 20 or More with 72 Hour Notice.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Prime Rib
- Executive Chef: Dave Foegley
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: St. Elmo's offers 4 rooms from which to choose. Limited menus available. Please see website for details or e-mail us.
- Private Party Contact: April Wheeler 3176350636x106
A word from St. Elmo Steak House
St. Elmo Steak House has been a landmark in downtown Indianapolis since 1902. It is the oldest Indiana restaurant in its original location & has earned a national reputation for its excellent steaks, seafood, chops & professional service. We happily accommodate special requests; please call the restaurant directly. All reservations will be held for 15 minutes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
St. Elmo Steak House - Best Restaurants in Downtown Indy ›
St. Elmo Steak House reviews from OpenTable diners
942 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (761)notable wine list (377)romantic (352)good for groups (281)fit for foodies (255)hot spot (231)neighborhood gem (223)vibrant bar scene (154)late-night find (54)great for lunch (24)kid-friendly (23)scenic view (18)great for brunch (10)great for outdoor dining (5)Show More
- best steakLeftyDined on 9/14/2014Romance, quaint, with the best food and service. This is one of our favorites, and will always be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner OutOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Had a wonderful dinner with a friend from Arizona. Ask for Glenn , he was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Once again, St. Elmo Steak House delivered on food and service! While we had a different server this time, Natalie was on top of her game and did an outstanding job for us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Me and my wife enjoyed our dinner. Very comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentChicagoDinerDined on 9/13/2014The food is as good as any place (especially in Indy) Make sure to get the shrimp cocktail. The "cocktail" sauce isn't really a sauce, it is better described as a salsa like paste with an overwhelming delicious horse radish flavor, but be careful, the strength is near wasabi like.
- always greatgriffDined on 9/13/2014everytime we go to indy we have to eat here. of course the shrimp cocktail is a must, but a big surprise…the best pork chops ever!!!!Special Features:
- Sept 12ArtieDined on 9/12/2014In town for ND/Purdue game. First time at St Elmo's. Everything that the hype says. Great time great food. A little noisy. Both if us had the filet. Perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Steak HouselovefinedinningDined on 9/12/2014I have been looking forward to dine at St. Elmo Steak House for a long time. Great meal. Waiter was OUTSTANDING. He told me he had been there for over 23(?) years. His suggestions were wonderful. I look forward to my next visit. P.S. Do not forget to order the shrimp cocktail.Special Features:
- Fantastic Beef cooked 2 Perfection!St8wrkrDined on 9/12/2014Top quality restaurant. All staff friendly and attentive. Food was superb. I found all my favorite cabs on the wine list. Server was pleasant and prompt. Reservations a MUST.Special Features:
- Absolutely FabulousEatwellDined on 9/12/2014Just a wonderful experience. Steak was excellent. Shrimp Cocktail will make tears come to your eyes. The Lobster Bisque was to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding as usualCaptainRichDined on 9/12/2014Took my wife there for our anniversary and her birthday. Everything was outstanding as it always has been. Great service. great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShamrockDomer1968VIPDined on 9/12/2014Known for its steaks, and it didn't disappoint. Is it much better than chicago steakhouses I don't think so but it is a gem going way back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always a great steakScream5384Dined on 9/12/2014Took my boyfriend here while he was visiting town. The dinner was excellent and the service was great. My only complaint was that St. Elmo's would not honor the gift card I had been given by my brother. They claimed that the company that they did gift cards with was changing banks so they could not verify the card. While I know that this is not the fault of St. Elmo's, but more and issue with their gift card provider, they did little at all to address the issue. Essentially I was just given my gift card back and told, sorry it didn't work but if you come back again it should work at that time. I feel like they could have done something to make the situation a little less frustrating. Now I'm out $100 more than I thought I would be!Special Features:
- One of the BEST steakhouses!eqvet4lifeDined on 9/11/2014I find it very hard to find a steakhouse that makes a steak just perfect and and also have amazing quality. This placed nailed it! One of the best Ribeyes I have ever had! Service was excellent and restaurant was beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- St Elmos Steakhousefoody73Dined on 9/11/2014We had a fantastic evening at St Elmos. Our waiter, Joel Black, was maybe the best waiter we have ever had anywhere. The steaks were great as well as their mashed potatoes. You definitely want to start your meal with their famous shrimp cocktail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The very bestOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/11/2014The best food and service 100% Gem wish there was one in TampaSpecial Features:
- Becoming my favoriteSarahBethPhotogDined on 9/10/2014This is only the second time I've been to St. Elmo's but it is quickly becoming my favorite restaurant. The shrimp cocktail is famous for a reason and the steaks and sides are delicious. The service is great and they are helpful and you feel like they are truly interested in your dining experience. I recommend St. Elmo's highly.Special Features:
- lesluv12Dined on 9/10/2014Slow service, waiter had no knowledge of wines to recommend (huge list), ordered a side dish never came and it was on the bill. Old atmosphere.Special Features:
- Awesome experienceOpenTabler99Dined on 9/10/2014A friend visiting from Hawaii accompanied us to St Elmo's. She is a big fan of the shrimp cocktail and bought a jar of the sauce to take home to Honolulu! Our steaks were great, and Rick served us exceptionally well. Our experience was tremendous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentEatOutWayTooMuchVIPDined on 9/10/2014Wonderful as usual. Server was a little bit too attentive: my wife and I just wanted to enjoy our meal and conversation on our anniversary but were interrupted multiple times, to the point of comedy ("really, everything is wonderful, why do you keep asking, is there something you're not telling us?")Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- joeonthegoVIPDined on 9/10/2014We had a wonderful dinner here service was outstanding and food the tops....Special Features:
- St. ElmoYummoDined on 9/8/2014Love this restaurant in Indy. Food is delicious, service is great, I really liked the traditional feeling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- St ElmosonlybeinghonestDined on 9/6/2014Went there for the first time last Saturday. The food was very good but UNBELIEVABLY expensive. Definitely a place for us to go for a special occasion. Our family was dressed up, but it was surprising to us the number of people who were in jeans. DID NOT like how close the tables were to each other. Felt like the people sitting next to us heard every word of our conversation. Our waiter was nice…but not exceptional for the $45 tip that he received. Overall a 3-4 star in our book.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent for a CelebrationlovetogatherDined on 9/6/2014We were celebrating our 25th anniversary and wanted a special evening which we definitely received. The food was excellent and as was our waiter. We especially enjoyed listening to stories about the restaurant that he shared when asked by diners at the tables around us. Our reservation was at 8:30 and we were glad to be seated in the smaller room next to the wine cellar as the rest of the restaurant was quite loud. The shrimp cocktail was exactly as described- huge shrimp and fiery cocktail sauce. We were happy to be told we could add a shrimp and have 6 to split. The filet mignon was perfectly prepared and the cheesecake with fudge sauce delicious and also quite huge. Could not finish it between the two of us. Great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentSpecialnightdinnerDined on 9/6/2014Excellent place to eat on that special occasion. The food is beyond compare. Our waiter was exactly what a waiter should be. The atmosphere was friendly. I noticed several tables became friends during the meal and even shook hands at the end. A real prize.Special Features:
- Old school steakhousePapourasDined on 9/6/2014Went to St. Elmo's for my husband's birthday. Was everything we hoped for and more. Who would have thought bean soup as an appetizer would be so delightful. Yes, the shrimp cocktail is wonderful, but you have to taste the bean soup. A must if you are visiting Indy. Puts the other chain steak houses to shame!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/6/2014This was probably one of the best meals I have had in a long time. Typically when you dine at a fine dining restaurant, portions are small and expensive. I barely make it thru 1/3 of my meal and it's not because I didn't enjoy it. It was a generous portion of really good food. Our server made GREAT suggestions. There wasn't a single thing that we didn't enjoy during this meal. The atmosphere was just perfect. Not too loud but not deafening silent. I was, however, shocked that there was no dress code. BUT even that didn't take away from anything. It was just perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversarypburgcoupleDined on 9/6/2014Food is wonderful and the service cannot be beat. Very attentive and knowledgable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceSodsquadDined on 9/6/2014As a special 50th birthday treat we knocked this off my bucket list. The shrimp cocktail was exactly as advertised and as we hear sports announcers describe. Three of us had steaks, 2 NY Strip and a bone in Rib-Eye and all were cooked to perfection as ordered and melt in your mouth tender. One of us had the Amish Chicken and it was so so. We had a piece of cheesecake with raspberry sauce and a piece of chocolate cake and they were perfect. Our waiter was also outstanding. It was also neat to see all of the pictures of the celebrities who have been there. Very expensive but worth the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding meal & servicediecast92Dined on 9/6/2014My wife and I recently visited to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. Upon entering the restaurant and giving them our name, we were immediately congratulated on our anniversary and taken to our table. On our table was a card with a congratulatory note that specifically mentioned us by name. It was obvious they took the time to ensure our experience was great. The service was exceptional, the food was exceptional, the attention to detail was exceptional. They made our special occasion a wonderful experience for both of us. Outstanding job!Special Features:
- Great timeJeffGDined on 9/5/2014A first visit for my wife and I. Very nice wait staff. Very professional. The food was outstanding except for my shrimp cocktail. The shrimp was a bit overcooked. I had the spinales steak as recommended by my server and it was outstanding. My wife had the shrimp and lobster linguini and she loved it. We will go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- colbwcolbwDined on 9/5/2014Great food,exceptional service.hands down best restaurant in Indy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BestOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/5/2014A perfect evening with family and my best friend was enhance by great service, great wine and a great atmosphere. St Elmo for thirty years has never disappointed us.Special Features:
- LOVE my St. Elmo's!GinaDined on 9/5/2014The evening was perfect from the moment we walked in. My husband really enjoyed his birthday dinner celebration. The service was first class and the meal was amazing! Thank you to everyone at SE's that made our night even more special. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shrimp and steak straight upJustget1Dined on 9/5/2014They helped make a friend's birthday celebration fantastic. Attentive and appropriately interactive waiters made it a fantastic social occasion. The food was just a bonus. Not being a steak lover, I ordered the 6 ounce prawn stuffed with crab meat filling. It was huge and absolutely delicious. I recommend upgrading to the lobster bisque from the bean soup. While both are delicious, the lobster bisque was exquisite and a healthy size serving. Warning, the shrimp cocktail appetizer with chunks of horseradish in the cocktail sauce, will clear your sinuses and require a full glass of wine to clear the pallet. But what a way to start a fantastic experience in dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome diningDawgDined on 9/5/2014Make sure you get the famous shrimp cocktail. The service is second to none. No matter where you go. Prices are steep, but a nice place to go for special occasionsSpecial Features:
- Bad Night at St. Elmo'sDisapointedDined on 9/3/2014My wife's filet was ordered medium. It came rare and cold in the center. My rib eye steak was cooked properly (medium) but had far too much fat and gristle to be a quality cut. We requested a table in a quiet area, but were seated next to a large table of noisy business people. This was not our first visit to St. Elmo's but may well be our last. The overall experience did not justify the expense.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/2/2014Absolutely sublime dinner experience. The waiter was attentive, personable, and a great help. Food was perfect. Shrimp cocktail was the best I've had. I've been here before, and I will come back with no reservation. It was a special experience for my girlfriend.
- Special OccasionSalpalDined on 8/31/2014This experience was perfect for my boyfriend and I. We needed a place to go for a special occasion & it was expensive but not out of reach. Everything was perfect. I could tell it was super busy but our waiter did a great job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Open tablereviewsDined on 8/31/2014Everything was near perfection as far as the restaurant experience. I do however, have one gripe when it comes to the reservation. I first used open table, and the available reservations that came up were very scarce. I had to chose an awkward time (8:30 on a Sunday) because it appeared almost all other reservations over a 2 week period were taken. I did need to modify the reservation however, and decided to call the restaurant directly. It turned out there were MANY other available reservations. We waited almost 2 weeks to dine here because of open table saying there were no reservations left. When I called the staff was very friendly in helping me modify my reservation. Next time I will most likely not use open table and just call directSpecial Features: