St. Elmo Steak House
127 S. Illinois
Indianapolis, IN 46225Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
St. Elmo Steak House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.stelmos.com/
- Phone: 3176350636x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday thru Friday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Saturday: 3pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Open for Private Luncheons for Groups of 20 or More with 72 Hour Notice.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Prime Rib
- Executive Chef: Dave Foegley
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: St. Elmo's offers 4 rooms from which to choose. Limited menus available. Please see website for details or e-mail us.
- Private Party Contact: April Wheeler 3176350636x106
A word from St. Elmo Steak House
St. Elmo Steak House has been a landmark in downtown Indianapolis since 1902. It is the oldest Indiana restaurant in its original location & has earned a national reputation for its excellent steaks, seafood, chops & professional service. We happily accommodate special requests; please call the restaurant directly. All reservations will be held for 15 minutes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
St. Elmo Steak House - Best Restaurants in Downtown Indy ›
St. Elmo Steak House reviews from OpenTable diners
996 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (792)notable wine list (426)romantic (396)good for groups (330)fit for foodies (313)hot spot (289)neighborhood gem (279)vibrant bar scene (189)late-night find (57)great for lunch (31)scenic view (17)kid-friendly (15)great for brunch (13)great for outdoor dining (5)Show More
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014Service as amazing. Food was delicious - drinks were great! So happy it was the place we ate on our quick trip through Indy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Steak I've ever hadOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014Great steak selections! All of my guests had a terrific meal. The only downside was that we were in bowels of the restaurant. This is the second time I've been stuck down there. If it happens a third time, I'll not return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014Good was excellent and everything cooked perfectlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the bar areamorewinepleaseDined on 10/25/2014We arrived Indy late night and had a reservation for 10pm on Saturday. When we walked in we loved the bar area and there were tables available so we ate at a high top bar table. You get to see people coming and going and have access to the full menu. The food was great and they have some interesting cocktails. We really like the Caprese drink. Sounded odd but was quite tasty. Mike was our server and he was great.
- wonderfulMcKenzieDined on 10/25/2014The food, atmosphere, and service are all exactly what you want in a restraunt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beyond WordsColeDawnDined on 10/25/2014I went to St Elmo's for me and my fiancées anniversary hoping to surprise her with a nice dining experience that we usually don't get. Well it didn't fail, from start to finish every aspect was flawless. It was a perfect beginning to the night we will always remember as the night I finally proposed. Thank you St Elmo'sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local FavoriteChowHoundDined on 10/25/2014This place is one of the unique things about Indianapolis. If you're from out of town you definitely want to visit here. When the waiter asks if you'd like the Shrimp Cocktail, the answer is YES. Make a reservation. Service and food is always great. Never had a bad experience here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint experienceWigirl74Dined on 10/24/2014We celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary there and had the most perfect time. From cocktails and shrimp in the 1933 Lounge to a full dinner in the restaurant, the entire moment will be cherished for years to come.Special Features:
- A Wonderful LandmarkOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/24/2014I have been hearing about St. Elmo's for years from my husband who travels to Indianapolis frequently for business - so I could not wait to enjoy my experience. I was not disappointed !! The shrimp cocktail lived up to it's reputation and the steaks were fantastic. I mentioned on Open Table when booking the reservation that we would be celebrating my husband's birthday and they acknowledged it throughout the restaurant topped off by a complimentary choice of dessert. A great kick off to our weekend in Indy.Special Features:
- Great On Several LevelsFlamingoVIPDined on 10/24/2014I cannot decide if the it's the steaks or the service that keeps bringing us back to St. Elmo. Both are excellent. Or maybe it's the awesome bread pudding we had for dessert. Perhaps it's the shrimp cocktail? Or it could be the great cheesy bread and onion rolls, extensive wine list, or bigger than you head baked potatoes. Well, fortunately I don't have to decide - everything was great, as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014We needed a great spot for a special evening. St. Elmo Steak House was our choice. The shrimp cocktail was worth remembering next time, as was the petite filet.Special Features:
- Love this restaurantfood2rememberDined on 10/24/2014This was the first time we were seated in the lower level near the wine cellar. It was much quieter and less crowded. As usual the food was fantastic and the service was wonderful. Always one of our go to places when in Indianapolis!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeglb636Dined on 10/24/2014This is the 3rd time I've been here in 2 months and can't wait to go back. The service is almost as flawless as the food. Go and eat, it's PERFECT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Famous Indianapolis restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014This restaurant is a must visit for all food lovers, especially those who crave fine dining. If you love food with a kick, you have to try the shrimp cocktail. Al the food was superbly prepared. My filet practically fell apart with the touch of my fork. Recommend a glass of the Pinot Noir wine to go with the steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceMartiganDined on 10/24/2014This was the first visit to St. Elmo for my wife and I. The experience far exceeded our expectations. The wait staff was friendly and the food was prepared to perfection. This was an anniversary meal for us; we were delighted to have had the staff acknowledge it, and offer a dessert on the house! I highly recommend it for anyone who loves great food, great ambiance and a 5-star...well, everything! This was our first visit, but it certainly won't be the last.Special Features:
- Great EatsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/23/2014Whenever we visit Indy; we always make a point to get some of that revered shrimp cocktail.Special Features:
- not worth the pricenotagianDined on 10/23/2014Tables so close the waiters rearend was in my face everytime he came to the table next to ours. Had to keep asking for water and had to ask for bread, had to ask bus boy not waiter to box our desert up to go , couldnt locate waiter. purcashed most expensive ribeyes ,meat came to table charcoal black on the oustside and no juice throughout steak, both ribeyes were order medium rare. for $300.00 i spent, my 14 yr old daughter said she would have rather gone to Longhorn steakhouseSpecial Features:
- Shrimp Cocktail etc.HangryDined on 10/23/2014There is a reason you are World Famous for the Shrimp Cocktail. The service, the wine, the steak, all of it were fantastic!Special Features:
- Our 31st AnniversaryDeWitt31yrsDined on 10/22/2014was very special thanks to the staff & great food at St Elmo's, the friendly greeting from hostess, the beautiful fire upstairs in the bar, having a personalize name plate at our table (even spelled name right), Taylor was a wonderful he made us feel like we were his only table, and the complementary dessert was the a great surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and eveningMarkDined on 10/22/2014We took our son to celebrate his 18th birthday and were not disappointed, even though our reservation was initially mishandled. We were quickly given another table and the service and food were excellent -- typical to St. Elmo standards. Well done.Special Features:
- Always packed, a bit loudGreatmeatDined on 10/22/2014St. Elmo's is by far the best steak house I've ever been to and I've been to many. The aged steaks cannot be beat. They must have toned down the horse radish in their shrimp cocktail as it was not as strong as usual. The filet is a GREAT cut of meat and always cooked to perfection. The only down side to St. Elmo's is the noise. It is so busy that it is typically very loud inside (especially the bar) and hard to hear the person across the table. However, the steak is worth the trade-off in noise!!!Special Features:
- First Time at St ElmosBBandCPDined on 10/22/2014We dined and celebrated a birthday. The 2 hour experience was perfect in every way. Excellent food, service by Glenn was superior. We were able to enjoy everything good that St Elmo's is known for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jim1Dined on 10/21/2014From the shrimp cocktail sauce to the outstanding steaks, a great overall meal and experience.Special Features:
- Great Indianapolis Landmark EateryTKMikDined on 10/21/2014St. Elmo's is an Indianapolis Landmark for fine dining that has one of the most engaging atmospheres anywhere. The food is outstanding and the service is always first rate. While known for their steaks, the bill of fare covers the gambit of entrées and to not partake in their famous shrimp cocktail would be inappropriate and no enable you fully appreciate all they have to offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014This was a very special occasion for us. We loved the shrimp cocktail and the rib eye special was amazing! Props to the awesome bar tender too, my husband's long island ice tea was the best he's ever had! Thank you for a great evening!Special Features:
- 1st visitDonnaC51Dined on 10/21/2014We made a reservation because we had heard many good things about this restaurant and also because it was close to our hotel and concert venue. We were not disappointed! I had the filet mignon and my husband had the rib eye. The food was delicious and cooked exactly the way we ordered it, the shrimp cocktail was amazing and the service was attentive but not annoying. Definitely will be back the next time we are in Indianapolis.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/21/2014You must have the shrimp cocktail! The ribeye and creme brulee are among the best I have had.Special Features:
- Great timeLuv2dineDined on 10/20/2014Food was fantastic, service was great & that shrimp sauce is the bestSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find - lives up to the hypesjbrady7Dined on 10/20/2014St. Elmo's Fire restaurant definitely lives up to the hype. The shrimp cocktail is absolutely to die for!! But be ware...it is hot, hot, hot!! But tasty! Make sure you make a reservation, because even on a Monday night it was crowded & you will have to wait 45 min to an hour, but you can spend that time upstairs in the bar with great cocktails & great service and maybe have an appetizer. The steaks were perfectly done and the service was wonderful I would definitely go back and would recommend for anyone to try it if you are in downtown Indianapolis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dress codemauryDined on 10/20/2014My only real complaint is dumbing down of fine dining. Business casual should always be the minimum allowed in any upscale restaurant. There were people in t shirts baggy shorts an flip flops seated in the dining room. What's happened to standards?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre at bestindyfoodieDined on 10/19/2014When I booked my reservation at St. Elmo's I specifically mentioned that my husband and I were celebrating a special occasion. This was our first time at St. Elmo's and there was nothing special about it. The food is overpriced and bland, with few choices. Our service was fine, but it cannot be compared to the type of service you receive at Ruth's Chris. We recently celebrated a birthday at Ruth's Chris and our service was beyond outstanding. We were greeted by name as soon as we hit the hostess stand (as opposed to being ignored and then passed on to a different hostess stand like we were at St. Elmo's). Nothing was particulary wrong with our service, but if you want a restaurant to truly go the extra mile, go to Ruth's Chris.
- RDRdrdDined on 10/19/2014My first time at St. Elmo's. We had a reservation and were seated on time. We had the Sunday Night Special. The filet was perfect !! The shrimp cocktail had a good kick and was very good. Service could not have been better. Great evening !!Special Features:
- Must go.coltsfanDined on 10/19/2014The hostess was rude but the servers and bust helpers were amazing. The food was excellent. I had the rib-eye and mashed potatoes. We also had the shrimp cocktail. It has a kick to it but very delicious. Overall we highly recommend St. Elmos. Make sure you make reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome TimeFood4thoughtDined on 10/19/2014Food was amazing and so was the staff. We got right in for our reservation. Will definitely come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstandingcurtiscr87Dined on 10/19/2014I have always wanted to go here. I came in for the colts game and afterwards had the best steak of my life. I have been to Mortons and Malone's previously and St. Elmo's was the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014Had a great dinner after a Colt's victory on Sunday. Service was spot on, she was a fairly new to Elmo's having worked at Izzy's previously. If she wouldn't have told us that I would have thought she had worked their for some time. Very personable, well versed on the wine list and food menu.Special Features:
- Glen is the best!!neignborDined on 10/19/2014We had a great meal. But, the attention and service provided by Glen was outstanding! He was knowledgeable on the menu and drink items. Made suggestions as needed. It made our whole experience so fantastic! We will be asking for him again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BoomOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014One of my fave places, can't get enough of the shrimp!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and foodCarlBDined on 10/18/2014Our waiter was one of the best we've every had. I made our reservation online and mentioned we were celebrating our 30 year wedding anniversary. There was a little sign on the table and we were given a free desert. All I wanted was a decent table. The shrimp were super and as was the lobster bisque was well worth the extra charge. We split a NY and it was cooked perfectly and was a cut of meat that didn't need extra seasoning. It was expensive but worth it because it wasn't dinner it was an experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GREAT!!AJCARDined on 10/18/2014Filet, bean soup, sliced tomato and onion salad. It's great every time! Service is equally as great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.