St. Charles Exchange
113 S. 7th Street
Louisville, KY 40202Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
St. Charles Exchange
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://stcharlesexchange.com/
- Phone: 5026181917x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30pm - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Happy Hour Monday-Friday 4:00-6:00
Friday & Saturday 4:00-12:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Mark Ford
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine
A word from St. Charles Exchange
The St. Charles Exchange provides casually elegant environment that is unique to America, not just Louisville, with world class food and an award winning cocktail program. Please come and enjoy a great product in a space that truly captures the history of Louisville!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
St. Charles Exchange - Best Restaurants in Downtown Louisville ›
St. Charles Exchange reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (37)special occasion (36)good for groups (25)neighborhood gem (24)romantic (22)vibrant bar scene (18)hot spot (16)late-night find (13)great for lunch (13)notable wine list (11)great for outdoor dining (6)scenic view (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014Overall excellent experience eating there. However when I called before coming about parking, the lady told me it was free to park in "parking garage" - well I think she meant parking "lot" and misstated which can be easy to do but I passed this on to two other couples. It caused us unnecessary expense and felt that was unfair since it was her mis-communication that caused this.Special Features:
- Great food, great serviceChrisVIPDined on 10/13/2014Great experience at ST. Charles. One of the few places in Louisville to offer Bourbon flights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceKandTDined on 10/11/2014My wife and I ate hear prior to going to a show at Kentucky Center. We were pleasantly surprised. To start, this is a great place to have a drink, especially bourbon. The attention to detail, down to the ice cubes, is outstanding. The food was outstanding, preparation and selection. Several unique choices. We will be returning.Special Features:
- lafongVIPDined on 10/10/2014Came to hear Ron Jones but will be back for the food. Very good food and service.Special Features:
- Great DT Place Before ShowBarbknowsbestDined on 10/8/2014We chose this restaurant because it was within walking distance of the KY Center, so we could park ahead of the rush, have a leisurely dinner, and walk to the show. The service was prompt, and the waiter was excellent and made sure we were done before the show. We had beet risotto, arugula salad, scallops, & brussels sprouts. Salad, sprouts, and beet risotto were superb. Portions were ample. Scallops were tasty, well-cooked, rich, but they skimped on the cheese grits needed to balance flavor. Overall, the scallop entrée and brussels sprouts were good but a tad greasy and good but not great. I got prosciutto on the side. Glad I did b/c it was too greasy to eat. The food was beautifully presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, very poor serviceJAS1113Dined on 9/20/2014I can't hate on this place too much because my food was devine, and the atmosphere was pretty cool. But our service was terrible. In all honesty we got better service at the cracker barrel in La Grange. i was a server once upon a time so i do not believe in not tipping, but it certainly crossed my mind Saturday at St Charles Exchange.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Old Fashioned in LouisvilleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014We always enjoy St. Charles Exchange. Thanks again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality Control Issues?loueaterVIPDined on 9/16/2014How does a top tier restaurant serve inedible potato chips at lunch? These chips were the stalest items I have experienced in my life. Both my dining companion and I left our untouched save for the first bite. The server never commented on this.
- ExcellentfromLouisvilleVIPDined on 9/13/2014St Charles Exchange continues to impress every time I go. I had a pre-theatre dinner, and as a solo diner I was in no way neglected.Special Features:
- First time visitMarkHVIPDined on 9/12/2014Our first visit and it was really good. The best cocktails in town with solid food to match. Loved the Deviled eggs! We will make this a regular stop when downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I would recommend this resturantMarieDined on 9/11/2014I was trying to plan a special day for my husband's 40th birthday. I wanted to make it a Bourbon theme birthday. I had scheduled my reservation on Open Table. In the special request box, I listed it was a 40th Birthday celebration and I had a gluten allergy. St Charles Exchange had called me to confirm reservation, also stated that they could accommodate my gluten allergy. I was greeted by a very pleasant hostess, who informed me that the Chef had circled & noted items that were gluten friendly. I was very impressed ! Lot's of choices with the Bourbon, wine and drink menu. The food& dessert were out of this world. Our service and over all experience was one we will remember. My husband and I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great atmosphereOutoftownerDined on 8/30/2014We loved sitting at the bar. Gorgeous bar with a great view out the back window. Their famous Old Fashions were delicious! I didn't love the seating arrangements for dinner. It was our anniversary, we slid into bench along side someone eating alone. I felt the intimacy of our dinner was compromised. My husband had the steak which was good but cooked a little more then he prefers. I had the scallops with grits. The three scallops were good but the grits were in the shape of little muffins similar shape as the scallops. The grits were not creamy as I had anticipated and I was disappointed since this was an expensive entrée. We had the deviled egg appetizer which was very good. I definitely recommend the deviled eggs.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceNDC1088Dined on 8/29/2014Food was delicious and service was friendly, prompt and accommodating. Chris our server was kind and attentive. We will definitely be going back!Special Features:
- Nice place in the heart of downtownHoosierVIPDined on 8/26/2014If you're looking for a little more of an upscale lunch, this is the place. It's a little pricey, but quite a nice place to have a business lunch or splurge lunch with friends. Highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Good food, great ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014I had two sides, Brussel sprouts and grits. It was a great size for dinner and really tasty! I tried my friend's mussels, excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AppleberryDined on 8/12/2014Outstanding food, wonderful atmosphere for dining. Always love coming here. This ONE night, the service was slow because there was a large group there and our waiter had too many individuals to serve. This is the only time this has happened, and they can be forgiven. This is NOT a regular occurrence. I will return frequently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and Drink Bonanzamelodyk99Dined on 8/11/2014Great food, unique food and drinks. Will be back for sure. I mean - peanut butter infused bourbon? How could I not go back?Special Features:
- excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/9/2014I cant say enough about what a GREAT experience we had at St Charles Exchange. Excellent food, outstanding service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2014This restaurant is always a solid choice. I ordered a steak this time and it was definitely on par with the city's finest. Live music ( a jazz duo ) was playing and that enhanced an already terrific atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- stoessdinnerVIPDined on 8/2/2014Wonderful service and excellent food. Atmosphere was also really nice.Special Features:
- omondiDined on 8/1/2014Loved the ambiance. The place is lovely. It was difficult to hear the person across from me when the music was being played. (I had to ask my guest to repeat a number of times.) I wonder how you could remedy that situation. Other than that obstacle, I enjoyed being there. The appetizer was creative and excellent. The entree was good. My guest loved the chicken. The server was quite knowledgeable regarding the menu. This is the first time anyone indicated that they would respond to a comment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would not recommend it.GourmetDinerDined on 7/25/2014The ambience was too dark and too quiet for Friday night. Food was decent but service was very sketchy. The Bar had very interesting drinks , and we had a couple of new drinks. Restaurant needs to improve overall to make it an exciting place for Friday night dining scene.Special Features:
- omondiDined on 7/18/2014I have eaten here many times and consider it one of my favorite restaurants in Louisville. I came, specifically, because of the live music offered on that night. I will come back when the music is offered again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Excellent MealOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/15/2014I have dined at St. Charles Exchange numerous times, and it just continues to evolve and improve. It's one of my favorites in downtown Louisville: Creative menu and well prepared food; Gorgeous historic ambience; Welcoming, friendly service; Lively bar scene; Nice private room for events.... What more can you ask for?Special Features:
- Great food!!!!!ehoeyVIPDined on 7/14/2014I had the red quinoa salad, and I found it to be one of the best. I would come back and order the same thing in a heartbeat!!!!Special Features:
- Great ambiencedineout1Dined on 6/30/2014Enjoyed dinner at St Charles Exchange. Server was attentive and knowledgeable. Only suggestion is to increase menu choices, especially for appetizers. Overall, nice restaurant. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/27/2014I love to eat and try new restaurants. I lived in Charleston, SC for 8 years where the food scene was vibrant and always exciting. I actually dated a food critic and chef who recently published a cookbook. I take the dining experience seriously and was more than excited to try St. Charles Exchange. To start, the restaurant was empty at 8:00 on a Friday night. We were one of maybe four tables eating. The ambiance was lacking as was the experience in general. We had cheese and meats to start and then split the burger. We waited a long time for our drinks to be refilled. A family of three was seated right next to us and the entire place was empty. We could hear the full conversation of the people next to us. All in all, really disappointing.
- The following 141 reviews are from the St. Charles Exchange reviews archive.
- DEParkVIPDined on 6/23/2014Very limited menu and relatively high prices. OK but not great
- Beautiful setting, food was averageKatrinaLynn1211Dined on 6/20/2014This restaurant is gorgeous and it's located in a fun part of town. The cocktail menu is also great. The menu sounded very creative, but the execution was average. We were a little disappointed. The deviled eggs were yummy though!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014The food was poor, at best. I got the burger ordered medium, and it came out medium rare. My husband got the Pompano special, and it was dry and over-cooked. The green beans were great. We eat out four nights per week and will not come back to this restaurant. It is a shame, as we loved the ambiance of the outdoor seating.Special Features:
- Great findLA2KYFoodieVIPDined on 6/7/2014The food and service were incredible, from bar to table. Our waitress was fairly new, but she was great; knowledgeable, courteous, and the right degree of attentiveness. The deviled egg appetizer was better than expected. The Elvis appetizer was also pretty incredible. We have already told our friends they need to go. And, we have to go back, because there are several entrees we want to try. The Beet Risotto was delicious. They also have a nice selection, of desserts. We had the Lemon Creme Brûlée. We sat outside and it was perfect, after sitting at the beautiful bar, for before dinner drinks. They are on the Urban Bourbon Trail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A disappointmentJosephDined on 5/31/2014Service was slow. When food did arrive finally my steak was cold. The options for noise level on here are misleading. I would call it loud, not energetic. This was the second time I'd been, and while the previous time was better than this, it wasn't by much. The facility is phenomenal looking, but the rest leaves a lot to be desired in upscale dinning. There are many other places in town that offer better food, better service, and a better overall experience.
- Just wasn't as good as I hoped forOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/28/2014A wonderful location, great décor and vibe and incredible drinks - the food just wasn't as good as our raised expectations from our server's and the menu's (along with great online reviews). Food temps were off, given the prices the overall quality while not bad was just underwhelming. And the service which started out really good - kind of fell apart as the evening went on - it seemed that our guy was just being stretched too thin.Special Features:
- DisappointingloueaterVIPDined on 5/27/2014Tuesday, May 27, the restaurant was slammed by pre-theater crowds. Trouble began with my husband's bourbon. On the third try, an in-stock bottle was located. My husband orders ice "on the side". The ice was placed in a glass at the start of the bottle hunt. The cubes melted and congealed together into one large lump. Useless. An observant waiter would have noticed. We ordered a soup and a salad, which took over 20 minutes to appear at our table. The soup was room temperature. Clearly, the items were sitting for a period of time in "the pass". The special of the day, a fish, described as like "sea bass" was slightly overcooked. The entire $35 entree was lacking in any flavor other than fishy. This was a disappointing meal.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/20/2014The wait staff was excellent. Number of entree choices was limited but both the pork and salmon dishes were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceJoeTDined on 5/16/2014GM Lauren runs an exceptional and friendly culinary experience. The bourbon flights are a must with over 100 bourbons to choose from.Special Features:
- Slow but worth the waitexercisetoeat48VIPDined on 5/11/2014Loved the food, atmosphere, and price! The servers were very nice but the kitchen was slow, will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but service lackingkktownVIPDined on 5/11/2014The food and drinks were wonderful, but our service was very, very slow. Drinks, food and the check all took a long time to receive. While we had anticipated a relaxed meal, the amount of time to wait for EVERYTHING was too long. Brunch took over 2 hrs. When I asked our server to describe a menu item in detail, he replied "just think brie", without going into any further description as if he didn't know what the ingredients or preparation included.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall a good experiencedinnerdatenightDined on 5/10/2014The ambiance of this place is top notch. Very dark and swanky...you feel like you've been transported back in time. The service was excellent! The only draw back is our wait for our dinner was an hour and a half and when our plates arrived, the food temp was lukewarm. The plate presentation was great and the flavors were outstanding. However with the wait and temperature, it was disappointing. We did discreetly discuss this with the manager and she and our server more than made up for it. They knocked off 50% from our bill and gave us all dessert-a bourbon cake topped with a bacon glaze. AMAZING!!! Best dessert we have all ever had. They also gave us a $50 gift card. We will definitely return. However, maybe on a night that is not so busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Derby Dinner - poorly executedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/3/2014Food itself was very good, but they botched our reservation (in spite of being confirmed by phone and email three times and well in advance), practically made us beg for bread at the table, poured the first wine after food had already been served, and brought coffee well after dessert was served rather than with it. Seemed very understaffed and ill-prepared for a big evening like Derby Dinner. Really soured our experience. How does a restaurant of the caliber of STE not get advance reservations, bread, wine and coffee right for guests paying a prix fix premium for this special evening out?? Should have been much better staffed and prepared, will not return for a special evening.